Hello and Welcome... What's your name? Tell me about You...

Start here - tell us about yourself and what brings you to ePlaya.
LeChatNoir

Post by LeChatNoir » Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:47 pm

Yeah... have fun with it!!

I like your artwork too. Thanks for sharing. Selfish "Full View" and Special Interest are interesting.

There's a lot of resources on the eplaya and the Burning Man website for traveling from abroad to the event. Lots of folks do it and you could too. I suspect you'd not regret it. Poke around and read everything you can find.

See ya around!
The New and Improved Black Cat... now with 25% more blather

gyre

Post by gyre » Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:07 pm

There's a kiwiburn now.
"Everything is more wonderful when you do it with a car, don't you think?"
-girl by the fire, watching a tree moved by car bumper in the bonfire

It would be a shame if I had to resort to self-deception to preserve my faith in objective reality.

casacre

Kiwiburn

Post by casacre » Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:11 pm

That's awesome. I'm heading over to NZ at the end of the year for a visit. :)

Do you mind sharing the details? Is there a website I can take a look at?
gravity doesn't grant me the privilege of failure

Joltz

Post by Joltz » Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:19 pm

Hello all. My name's Karen and I'm a short, freckled college grad from the big city of Chicago. I am a geek; I spend hours a day on the internet, read comic books, play video games, listen to a ton of music. Recently I became a writer for a music webzine. My day job is in retail at the aquarium here.

Burning Man just sounds so fascinating and frightening to me and I would much like to attend some day, money permitting. Who knows, maybe next year? For now I'd just like to learn more about it.

gyre

Post by gyre » Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:28 pm

Hi Karen, short freckled college grad from Chicago.
You should come this year.
Read the Man Burns Tonight and if you like that, go.

http://eplaya.burningman.org/viewtopic. ... t=kiwiburn

It would be a shame if I had to resort to self-deception to preserve my faith in objective reality.

The Hosh

Post by The Hosh » Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:41 pm

Hi all. I'm Drew, a newspaper designer and freelance arts reporter from Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada. Way up there. I was always fascinated by this Burning Man thing, so last year I made the 4000 km (2400 miles) trek by myself. I loved it, so this year I'm coming back. And this time I've joined a camp, the Red Nose District.
2007 photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/hoshq/collections/72157601792465754/
2006 photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/hoshq/collections/72157601425440501/

LeChatNoir

Re: Kiwiburn

Post by LeChatNoir » Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:55 am

casacre wrote:That's awesome. I'm heading over to NZ at the end of the year for a visit. :)

Do you mind sharing the details? Is there a website I can take a look at?
Get in touch with Hana T here on the board. She's involved with the Kiwi burn and is coming to Burning Man this year.

gyre

Post by gyre » Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:45 am

Welcome back, Drew.
You're the first person I've heard of coming from the Yukon.

Etain

Post by Etain » Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:35 pm

Thanks to everyone who replied :). I wish I could go this year - it sounds like a great theme. But, what I should have been planning ahead with the most would be finances (university student here). If I had I could have gotten cheaper tickets, done without a few things, etc. to be able to make it. But, I have lots of time to plan for next year (and see if I can drag a few friends along)!

entropy999

Post by entropy999 » Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:41 pm

Hi, my name is Tony- I recently turned 29 and I live in the Mission in SF. This will be my second burn. I hope it will be something really special and revitalizing- I plan to be there the whole week.

I am looking for a camp- I tried to recruit my friends to form one but they have excuses, excuses, and more excuses. This is my no excuses year so I am just going anyway. I hope to find maybe a project that needs help. I can build stuff and I have done some welding before and have access to a rig (Tig/Mig). Not a pro by any means!

If youve got any leads for me, let me know!

bigbluedoggy
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Destiny Lounge 3D

Post by bigbluedoggy » Tue Jul 17, 2007 2:47 pm

I tried to recruit my friends to form one but they have excuses, excuses, and more excuses.
So, having found myself without many of the veterans from our camp last year, I suddenly became camp coordinator, which I am greatly enjoying by the way. But it becomes readily apparent as coordinator that if people aren't interested in being involved, they aren't going to be of any help whatsoever. Our camp has quite a lot of infrastructure this year and I have a few members of the camp who are very enthusiastic. We also have a few who don't respond to emails or show much interest unless pressed for a response. Radical self reliance is the name of the game. If you want it to be so, you had best make it happen. I have a friend who I am absolutely certain would be right at home on the playa. I have shown him our website and described our plans to him in some detail. He knows he would have a great time, but he isn't willing to make the commitment in time. I did my part in presenting him the option, but I am not about to try to convince someone to go, no matter how much I think they would like it. Not sure what the point of this is, other than to say, if people want to come, they will. Recruitment is useless. See you there!! Make sure you come by and say hi!!!

Doggy *WOof* :P
A plan is what you vary from.

Destiny Lounge has been proven to cause cuteness in small kittens.

Destiny Lounge 3D - located in the 3:00 Plaza at G for 2019! Look for our art installation too: The Temple uv Enlightenment!

Finnegan

Post by Finnegan » Tue Jul 17, 2007 2:52 pm

Yep, I tried to talk people into it for a while. Then I realized that if they are resistant, probably they A) won’t like it so much, and B) won’t participate. Besides, it’s crowded enough as it is.
"No one is innocent, citizen. We are merely here to determine the level of your guilt."
- Judge Dredd

Confucius

Hi Everybody

Post by Confucius » Tue Jul 17, 2007 4:16 pm

What up? My name is Nehemiah from Auburn CA. Going to Burning Man for the first time this year and wanted to introduce myself and see if ther was anyone from my area going. I would be interested in hearing other peoples stories and an I dea of what I should bring. I understand that it is going to a a gift based community so what are some good gifts and stuff like that. Anybody is welcome to write me back with any advice or info you might have. Thanks and I look forward to seeing you all! :!:
Don't take life to seriusly or you'll never make it out alive!

mojo

Post by mojo » Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:53 am

Welcome Confucius! Much of the population of BRC travels through Auburn to get there.

The best advice I have for you is to read the Survival Guide and then cruise these threads for help on what to bring.

As far as gifts go, don't worry about that your first year - bring yourself with an open mind and share it with us. Then you will have a better idea next year what special thing is a gift from your heart.

sputnik
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Ubercarney

Post by sputnik » Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:55 am

and sometimes the best gift is a helping hand offered to a total stranger in need.
It's going to be alright.

Dr. Pyro
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Post by Dr. Pyro » Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:15 pm

A helping hand is indeed nice, but I have always found that large bags of cash always worked great.

porterico

Burning man virgin needs advice

Post by porterico » Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:35 pm

Hello everyone, first time burner here, looking forward, getting excited, holy shit, buying green spray paint, pvc, parachutes, etc... but I have one pressing question...

I'm a nurse and would like to volunteer if possible.

1. Do you think volunteering during a first year experience is a good idea? I've read some posts that seem to kind of contradict putting much volunteer effort in the first time around whilst trying to wrap one's mind around the newness of the burning man experience.

2. If I do want to volunteer say at the medical clinic... who do I need to talk to to get tied into that area?

Thanks
porterico

gyre

Post by gyre » Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:52 pm

[email protected]

Depends on the person.
I volunteered for a fairly involved job before I ever got there.
They wouldn't take me until I had a year without working.
Now I'm too busy with too much other work to work for that division.

I doubt they turn down any medical help.
And there is always plenty to do without formal jobs.
You can rely on this crowd to get hurt.

misfit
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: wish you were here

Post by misfit » Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:11 pm

get a year under your belt and think about volunteering for medical next year, but start early, shifts fill up quick.....
Be happy while you're living, For you're a long time dead.

LeChatNoir

Re: Hi Everybody

Post by LeChatNoir » Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:07 pm

Confucius wrote:What up? My name is Nehemiah from Auburn CA. Going to Burning Man for the first time this year and wanted to introduce myself and see if ther was anyone from my area going. I would be interested in hearing other peoples stories and an I dea of what I should bring. I understand that it is going to a a gift based community so what are some good gifts and stuff like that. Anybody is welcome to write me back with any advice or info you might have. Thanks and I look forward to seeing you all! :!:
Welcome Home Confucious...

Check the Survival Guide for how to be prepared.

As for gifts, so far every year I've brought necklaces that I made. This is my first year for a large art piece and it's eating up my necklace making time, so I may not have any this year. But they're always fun to gift, espcecially if you put a little time into them. I'd usually bring 20 or so and give them out to people after a special moment. Stickers and patches are fun too, if you have a way to make them.

LeChatNoir

Re: Burning man virgin needs advice

Post by LeChatNoir » Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:11 pm

porterico wrote:Hello everyone, first time burner here, looking forward, getting excited, holy shit, buying green spray paint, pvc, parachutes, etc... but I have one pressing question...

I'm a nurse and would like to volunteer if possible.

1. Do you think volunteering during a first year experience is a good idea? I've read some posts that seem to kind of contradict putting much volunteer effort in the first time around whilst trying to wrap one's mind around the newness of the burning man experience.

2. If I do want to volunteer say at the medical clinic... who do I need to talk to to get tied into that area?

Thanks
porterico
Welcome porterico!!!

Yeah... just come out your first year and soak it up. Get a feel for what it is all about. That'd be my advice.

My frst year was spent walking around in complete amazment.

bohemian dawntreader

Post by bohemian dawntreader » Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:49 pm

Hi,
New to BurningMan...going this year 8)

LeChatNoir

Post by LeChatNoir » Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:34 am

Welcome...
Where in North Carolina? Heard of Transformus?

Wrong Tom

Post by Wrong Tom » Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:21 am

Hello Everyone!
My name is Tom. I live in London. I enjoy various activities and nothing more so than a nice invigorating trip to the scorching desert.
I've been to Burning Man twice before and am heading there again this year under my own steam. So woo for me!
If you want to know anything else about me just ask. Anything at all. Just try.
Tom

pinemom

Post by pinemom » Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:30 am

Hi Tom! welcome home
Names pinemom, but my friends call me "Piney".

Wrong Tom

Post by Wrong Tom » Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:43 am

Thanks Pinemom! You know how to make someone feel welcome.
"The only true knowledge is in knowing that you know Norfolk."

LeChatNoir

Post by LeChatNoir » Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:47 pm

Dear Wrong Tom,

Why are you wrong? And are you really wrong, or is it just a general feeling that stems from a dysfunctional childhood?

notonmysofa

Post by notonmysofa » Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:01 pm

Guess I should introduce me. Me, hello. Kinda new here but not there. This year will be year 8. I hate it and love it at the same time. I wasn't there back in the day but I've been there long enough.

I'm a planner, I build shade/structure/transpo for me and mine and get off on planning and organizing and making it happen. Last year I went simple and small after always going bigger each year and it was difficult and amazingly refreshing. This year is even simpler and smaller. I plan to get back to exploring for me rather than focusing on providing for others.

I'm more excited this year than I have been for the past 2-3 years.

Edited because I don't really sound excited. I am really, I'm just tired.

bohemian dawntreader

Post by bohemian dawntreader » Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:11 pm

[quote="LeChatNoir"]Welcome...
Where in North Carolina? Heard of [url=http://www.transformus.com/]Transformus[/url]?[/quote]

Greetings LeChatNoir,
i have just recently heard of it. i am just north of Charlotte. i am quite new to all of this but it is definitely facinating!

Emrys

Post by Emrys » Fri Jul 20, 2007 3:39 am

Hi all!
My name's Stephan, and it will be my first time at BM this year. It's a great experienced, just to learn about this kinda city and people growing in the middle of nowhere just for one week. Sounds crazy enough to me!

Well I'm from France and I'll try to manage everything prepared for this BM season.

Cheers

Return to “The Greeter's Station”