Hello and Welcome... What's your name? Tell me about You...

Start here - tell us about yourself and what brings you to ePlaya.
bigbluedoggy
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Destiny Lounge 3D

Post by bigbluedoggy » Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:50 am

Hi Lena! Welcome to eplaya! We of Destiny Lounge are just about to start full construction on our new game for our camp which will have a bunch of electronic components involved, including some substantial EL wire art pieces. We are in LA and if you feel like helping out a project we could probably use some help and another camp mate! Drop me a note if you are interested! Thanks!

Doggy *WOof*!
A plan is what you vary from.

Destiny Lounge has been proven to cause cuteness in small kittens.

Destiny Lounge 3D - located in the 3:00 Plaza at G for 2019! Look for our art installation too: The Temple uv Enlightenment!

supersonin

Post by supersonin » Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:22 am

Hi All...My name is Super-Sonin and I live in Petaluma. My husband and I are going to BM for the first time this year and I want to make some new friends by the time we get there. I have lurking around the message boards for a few months now. I am secretly obsessed with all that is BM. well, lets just say that I am acting obsessed around everyone,the kids,my husband,my co-workers. but the truth is, I am toning it down around them. I am far more obsessed than I let on. Anyhow,wanted to say hello, I have learned so much from you all....thanks.

mojo

Post by mojo » Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:34 am

Welcome Home Super-Sonin! You have begun the transformation into becoming a Burner. It has to do with that nagging obsession - mine has only gotten worse over the years. Now this festival is a part of who I am everyday in the default world. You will come to dream about it and measure the small happenings in everyday life by a "different" yardstick. For example, you will never see duct tape, rebar, Pabst Blue Ribbon or JiffyLube the same way again. Congratulations!

Come and post some hellos in The Bar thread under Open Discussion and you will make lots of friends in a jiffy.

misfit
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: wish you were here

Post by misfit » Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:36 am

hello supersonin,
we live just south of you in richmond, if you need anything let us know...
Be happy while you're living, For you're a long time dead.

leaglealien

Introducing myself

Post by leaglealien » Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:08 pm

Hey everyone

Name is Tony, first-time going to BM, first post on the board. As someone with plenty festival and music experience I've been meaning to go for too many years and as those years go by, there are too few excuses for not attending. This year I've just made the commitment first and I'm now trying to figure out the how-tos.

Live in the beautiful Catskill Mountains in NY State, probably just a bit more lush than the Nevada Desert, and probably just a touch more natural stream water to drink from... I've done my share of marathons and the like which may or may not prepare me for the desert.

I got me a spouse and 2 kids and I may bring the 11-year old this year. I would love to bring the others, which includes a 2-year old, but I think we may have left it too late to go cross-country driving together. I'm not the best at art projects (though my son is! he gets it from his mum! which is why I'd love him to come!) but I got very good organizational/collaborative skills which I'd like to put to good use. Into techno/dub/chill but really all good music, vegetarian bordering on vegan, like my wine but wanna be careful about dehydration on this first time out. So send me to some links on this massive forum as to finding myself friends before I arrive.

Also: where best to find possible car-pooling from my area?

And a big question: everyone is recommended to bring a bicycle yet lots of people fly in... So how do those two aspects fit together?

Cheers for now

tony
"Ever tried? Ever failed? No matter! Try again. Fail again. Fail better." S. Beckett

longobord

Post by longobord » Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:50 pm

Yes, that's another good question. I figure I'd want about 20 gallons of potable water, too, but how does one manage these things?

MikeVDS
Camp Name: Tiki Fuckos

Post by MikeVDS » Wed Jul 25, 2007 4:05 pm

So send me to some links on this massive forum as to finding myself friends before I arrive.
Chat on here and you'll meet more people with similar interests. You might check out kidsville. I don't know much about them except that are kid friendly, a lot of camps aren't.

You need bicycles. Some people buy them in Reno. I know there is at least one burner shop that sells and buys back bikes. I know someone got a walmart special and returned it after.

For the water I've seen two main ways people manage it for themselves or small groups. You can buy those plastic gallon jugs of water. They are easy to manage and something you can easily do. Another are those 7 gallon plastic blue water tanks. They run about $7 each at walmart (a little pricier everywhere else I've seen them). They do take up storage space and are not bulletproof so if you don't use them a lot and take care of them, the single gallons may be easier.

And welcome to e-playa both of you.

ibdave
Burning Since: 1998

Post by ibdave » Wed Jul 25, 2007 4:05 pm

supersonin wrote:Hi All...My name is Super-Sonin and I live in Petaluma. I am secretly obsessed with all that is BM. .
Get ready for a lifetime Obsession...... 8) 8) 8)
I was Born OK the 1st Time....

Don't bring defaultia to Burning Man, take Burning Man to defaultia...... graidawg

capjbadger
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Lamplighters

Post by capjbadger » Wed Jul 25, 2007 4:12 pm

supersonin wrote:Hi All...My name is Super-Sonin and I live in Petaluma. My husband and I are going to BM for the first time this year and I want to make some new friends by the time we get there. I have lurking around the message boards for a few months now. I am secretly obsessed with all that is BM. well, lets just say that I am acting obsessed around everyone,the kids,my husband,my co-workers. but the truth is, I am toning it down around them. I am far more obsessed than I let on. Anyhow,wanted to say hello, I have learned so much from you all....thanks.
Welcome from your neighbor also in Petaluma. ;)
longobord wrote:Yes, that's another good question. I figure I'd want about 20 gallons of potable water, too, but how does one manage these things?
I find that those 1 gallon gatorade containers are great. I fill them up right before I get off hwy 80. No need to haul all that weight all the way there. :)

Badger
Arrrggg!! Avast ye fucking fluffy bunny shirtcockers! Haul your drunken hairy fat ass out of our sight or prepare to receive a hot buttered hedgehog fired up your aft quarters!

Honey Badger don't care. Honey Badger don't give a shit!

supersonin

Post by supersonin » Wed Jul 25, 2007 4:39 pm

[quote="ibdave"][quote="supersonin"]Hi All...My name is Super-Sonin and I live in Petaluma. I am secretly obsessed with all that is BM. .[/quote]

Get ready for a lifetime Obsession...... 8) 8) 8)[/quote]

I was afraid someone would say that........

supersonin

Post by supersonin » Wed Jul 25, 2007 4:42 pm

Welcome from your neighbor also in Petaluma. ;)

wow, cool another Petalumian.....are you involved with the temple crew?? We are part of the temple crew and will be camping with them this year.....

leaglealien

Post by leaglealien » Wed Jul 25, 2007 7:42 pm

[quote="MikeVDS"][quote]So send me to some links on this massive forum as to finding myself friends before I arrive. [/quote]

Chat on here and you'll meet more people with similar interests. You might check out kidsville. I don't know much about them except that are kid friendly, a lot of camps aren't.

You need bicycles. Some people buy them in Reno. I know there is at least one burner shop that sells and buys back bikes. I know someone got a walmart special and returned it after.

For the water I've seen two main ways people manage it for themselves or small groups. You can buy those plastic gallon jugs of water. They are easy to manage and something you can easily do. Another are those 7 gallon plastic blue water tanks. They run about $7 each at walmart (a little pricier everywhere else I've seen them). They do take up storage space and are not bulletproof so if you don't use them a lot and take care of them, the single gallons may be easier.

And welcome to e-playa both of you.[/quote]

Thanks Mike. I'll keep talking here and if people know of a specific thread to send me out to for specific answers, please do.

I would love to know if it's possible to rent a bike in Reno. If I was driving from east coast, I've got a couple of bikes would be perfect, but it seems a little expensive to buy one for a week and then what? Give it away I guess. Then again, if Walmart takes them back even covered in dust, then it might give me reason to enter one of their stores for the first time. Otherwise, I consider Walmart the devil...

So if I can keep chatting... I've got a flight on hold to Reno, but if I hooked up with similar-minded people from NYC looking to share chores, I might be up for the drive out and back. Where would I best find that thread?

Thanks everyone, I'm already glad I made the leap this year...

Tony
"Ever tried? Ever failed? No matter! Try again. Fail again. Fail better." S. Beckett

MikeVDS

Post by MikeVDS » Wed Jul 25, 2007 7:58 pm

Thanks Mike. I'll keep talking here and if people know of a specific thread to send me out to for specific answers, please do.
You might want to check out http://www.burningkids.org/. They have a yahoo group, but I'm not sure if it's active or not. Das Bus on here helps organize that village so she might have more information. Remember to bring them goggles and dust masks. Make sure their goggles are good and will keep all dust out of their eyes.

Bringing kids your first year is going to be a daunting task. A lot of people have trouble getting over the harsh environment themselves. I've seen people with kids as happy as can be and when I finally have some of my own, I'll take them as long as they want to keep going. But make sure you are over prepared and know exactly what you're getting into, and getting them into.

As for thread to visit, just keep reading and if you cannot find the answer to some of your questions or want advise, start your own topic. Read the survival guide and you'll probably come up with a lot of questions on how others do things.

http://burningman.com/preparation/event ... index.html

It's a long read, but taking little ones with you means you have to read it twice.
[img]http://tikifuckos.org/anisign.gif[/img]

lukku_cairi

Post by lukku_cairi » Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:45 am

Hi everyone,

this is my first year at Burning Man - I'm looking forward to it, but it's a bit daunting! I've been wanting to go for 13 years!

trying to get organized - also re-learning how to ride a bike - wow, this is going to be a lot of work!

Alice

leaglealien

Post by leaglealien » Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:07 am

[quote][quote="MikeVDS"][quote]Thanks Mike. I'll keep talking here and if people know of a specific thread to send me out to for specific answers, please do.[/quote][/quote]

You might want to check out [url]http://www.burningkids.org/[/url]. They have a yahoo group, but I'm not sure if it's active or not. Das Bus on here helps organize that village so she might have more information. Remember to bring them goggles and dust masks. Make sure their goggles are good and will keep all dust out of their eyes.

Bringing kids your first year is going to be a daunting task. A lot of people have trouble getting over the harsh environment themselves. I've seen people with kids as happy as can be and when I finally have some of my own, I'll take them as long as they want to keep going. But make sure you are over prepared and know exactly what you're getting into, and getting them into.

As for thread to visit, just keep reading and if you cannot find the answer to some of your questions or want advise, start your own topic. Read the survival guide and you'll probably come up with a lot of questions on how others do things.

[url]http://burningman.com/preparation/event ... index.html[/url]

It's a long read, but taking little ones with you means you have to read it twice.[/quote]

Thanks again Mike: you'll be glad to know I'd already signed up to the Kids Yahoo group (which is VERY active), downloaded the Survival PDF and read it several times. The decision about bringing the 11-year old has not been made, and I totally take your point: I can see myself coming solo, enjoying it as an adult (reconnecting with my inner child?) and learning enough to bring the family next year. Not yet decided.

Cheers

tony

PS: I see the html code is not doing what it's meant to here. oh well.

jbugg

Post by jbugg » Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:20 am

[quote="pinemom"]Welcome Home Jbugg!!!

I lurked too for a long time, trying to take it all in...then of course when I finally arrived at the gates...I cried!
When we exodus'sed I again cried!!
Ive never felt more welcomed in any place on this world till I went HOME!

p.s. leave your expectations at the gate, open your mind and your heart![/quote]

that's exactly what i intend on doing. :) so excited, although i'm practically going by myself...so nervous at the same time.

capjbadger

Post by capjbadger » Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:06 am

leaglealien wrote:PS: I see the html code is not doing what it's meant to here. oh well.
You have to turn on the option...

Badger
Arrrggg!! Avast ye fucking fluffy bunny shirtcockers! Haul your drunken hairy fat ass out of our sight or prepare to receive a hot buttered hedgehog fired up your aft quarters!

capjbadger

Post by capjbadger » Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:09 am

supersonin wrote:Welcome from your neighbor also in Petaluma. ;)

wow, cool another Petalumian.....are you involved with the temple crew?? We are part of the temple crew and will be camping with them this year.....
Nope, not on Temple crew. I work with the Lamplighters and build my own crazy projects. :)
I actually just moved to Petaluma a few months ago from Healdsburg, but I've been in Sonoma most of my life.

Badger

Kers

Post by Kers » Thu Jul 26, 2007 4:32 pm

MikeVDS wrote:
You need bicycles.
I totally disagree. You see SO much more walking around. Sure if you want to get to the man from your camp and directly back, a bike is the quickest way.

But I think people miss so many things when on bikes. AND with so many bikes whizzing around, it's getting hazardous for us pedestrians :)
2000, 2001, 2003, 2007

MikeVDS

Post by MikeVDS » Thu Jul 26, 2007 5:12 pm

I totally disagree. You see SO much more walking around. Sure if you want to get to the man from your camp and directly back, a bike is the quickest way.
I know others agree with you, but most don't. Also if you have a bike, you can always choose not to ride, but not visa versa. I have to agree that walking is the way sometimes. I often ride somewhere, drop my bike and walk from there, but I do like being able to ride to a new starting point to walk from. I usually ride slow too, unless I see something shiny that I must get to, then the speed picks up. No, you don't have to have one but I think it's good advice to tell first timers to bring one unless they absolutely cannot.
[img]http://tikifuckos.org/anisign.gif[/img]

Kers

Post by Kers » Thu Jul 26, 2007 5:14 pm

THAT I can agree with :)
2000, 2001, 2003, 2007

leaglealien

Post by leaglealien » Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:15 pm

So I guess I need to find a shop in Reno will rent out bikes for a week... That or pack a second pair of walking sneakers!

Tony

Boatguy

sophmore burners unite!

Post by Boatguy » Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:29 am

Hi, This year will be my second burn and I'm stoked. I left the Navy just over a year ago and now I'm studying music therapy at Uof Louisville. My first burn was a bit painful because my girlfriend(who is a firefighter and into hardcore shit) came with but decided to quit smoking that week and was a total pain in my ass :evil: . But this year I'm bringing two of my fellow ex-sailors and we will be envoking the rite of fine Pirate Rum and Cuban cigars across the playa.
Last year I spent most of my time babysitting, this year I'm coming to have some fun and meet some cool people, please don't be shy, I only bite half of the time.
-Boatguy
Never get out of the boat.
Absolutely goddamn right.
Unless you were goin' all the way.
Kurtz got off the boat. He split from the whole fuckin' program.

MozyBonz

Post by MozyBonz » Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:34 am

Larry?

MozyBonz

Post by MozyBonz » Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:40 am

Sorry…check out this place for fine Rum and cigars . http://eplaya.burningman.org/viewtopic.php?t=19459

Boatguy

righteous

Post by Boatguy » Fri Jul 27, 2007 1:34 pm

Thats an awesome idea! Viva la Havanaroom!!!!
If I wasn't camping in Casa Sangre de Cristo's Holy Blood Orgy Camp I would want to camp there. Definitely.
I love you all!!!!
-Boatguy
Never get out of the boat.
Absolutely goddamn right.
Unless you were goin' all the way.
Kurtz got off the boat. He split from the whole fuckin' program.

PurpleCricket

Hello this is the Purple Cricket!

Post by PurpleCricket » Fri Jul 27, 2007 5:34 pm

Hi, I'm a virgin Burner. I'm going to be at Camp Apokiliptika hanging with Kernul Killbuck and his minion JellyFish.

Hope to see you all out there!

~ Purple Cricket
"Arrgh! A True Pirate Mistress sails the High Seas with but a sextant to keep her on course and a cat of nine to keep the crew in line!"

CLARKcon
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: COFFEE CAMP

Post by CLARKcon » Fri Jul 27, 2007 6:58 pm

Sounds like your in good hands (or very atomic one's for that matter :) Hope to see ya out this year. I'm the Head Chef of COFFEE CAMP, swing by for some joe. Should be camping about 8:15 and Coral Reef. BURN IT ALL! ---Cc
☕ COFFEE CAMP :
"The Social Hub of the Uncivilized World"

.: 🔥)'(🔥 2020 // ...???... :.

Trix

Post by Trix » Sat Jul 28, 2007 1:33 am

I've been burning a few years and came on here to shout. I'm too fucking excited this year!!!!!! Hi everyone! I'll see you soon!!!

LeChatNoir

Re: righteous

Post by LeChatNoir » Sat Jul 28, 2007 6:40 am

Boatguy wrote:Thats an awesome idea! Viva la Havanaroom!!!!
If I wasn't camping in Casa Sangre de Cristo's Holy Blood Orgy Camp I would want to camp there. Definitely.
I love you all!!!!
-Boatguy
Boatguy!!

Good to see you back around here. When are you heading out?
The New and Improved Black Cat... now with 25% more blather

Return to “The Greeter's Station”