Hello and Welcome... What's your name? Tell me about You...

Start here - tell us about yourself and what brings you to ePlaya.
Dr. Pyro
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Post by Dr. Pyro » Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:51 pm

I certainly hope you're better than 99% of the other "musicians" out there. Most of them totally suck. We could stand to have some good jazz. For a change.

auburn vixen

hi all from the 'Burgh

Post by auburn vixen » Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:40 pm

Pittsburgh, that is...hoping to make it to BM for my first time (that's right, I am a BM virgin... but don't treat me *too* gently as I am into BDSM and like it rough.) :twisted: If I make it out there this year, I hope to meet lots of you folks and have a damn good time.
The first quality that is needed is audacity. - Winston Churchill

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:11 pm

It's not a question of "sand blasting" the playa is made of fine, akeline dust. It's the dryness. What I've heard is that it's hell on wooden instruments. I have no idea what happens to brass.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

motskyroonmatick
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: B.R.C. Welding&Repair

Post by motskyroonmatick » Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:15 pm

Brass- Patina maybe.
Black Rock City Welding & Repair. The Night Time Warming Station. iGNiTE! Bar.

Card Carrying Member BRCCP.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-

LeChatNoir

Post by LeChatNoir » Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:40 pm

Enli wrote:Hi there, everyone.. I'm Enli and I'm hoping to attend BM for the first time in 08. I'll be driving up from Orange County CA- haven't found anyone to drive with yet, but my car is small so maybe it's for the better. I'm planning on staying in the steampunk camp. :)
Hi Enli!!!

And so many new faces here...

Hello everyone!! glad to see you here and welcome!

Enli,

I guess that you are on the Steampunk boards as well? Look for The Contraption to visit the Steampunk Camp often in '08.
The New and Improved Black Cat... now with 25% more blather

Eve1973

Post by Eve1973 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:05 am

Hi, stuck in bed with flu, but dreaming of going to Burning Man with my daughter. We were wondering if anyone has any advice about travelling from London? Im visually impaired, so I cant hire a car, but it seems that the airports are a long way to walk!! Eve :D

erri2000

Post by erri2000 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:30 am

Dr. Pyro wrote:.... 99% of the other "musicians" out there. Most of them totally suck.
That statement sucked.
Maybe some do suck.
LIKE PRIMUS!
It is alot like sex,
Some people just don't get it

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
Part of Shock the Karma Conglomerate

LeChatNoir

Post by LeChatNoir » Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:48 am

Eve1973 wrote:Hi, stuck in bed with flu, but dreaming of going to Burning Man with my daughter. We were wondering if anyone has any advice about travelling from London? Im visually impaired, so I cant hire a car, but it seems that the airports are a long way to walk!! Eve :D
Hi Eve,

I can't give any first hand advice, but check these two places for starters and welcome to eplaya!! And there is always a way to get to the playa... one way or another. Oh... and hang around here. There's several UK folks on here from time to time.

http://regionals.burningman.com/eu_uk.html

http://www.burningman.com/first_timers/

WHO

Post by WHO » Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:08 pm

Hello all.
My first burn will be 2008 and I am really looking forward to it.
I feel like I should have been here since the beginning, but somehow missed it for 21yrs. I really want to experience the community, dust and H.R. Puff-n-stuff of it all!

I also am bringing my 19yr old son, because I want him to experience a giving/free spirit community before he gets all grown up and puts on a suit.

I do have a question, and I hope you guys can help.

Since it will be my 19 yr old son and me, an over the hill hippie mom, where do you think we would fit in best?
I'm thinking Hushville, cause at least it should be an even keel, without blatant hedonistic activities, or is it just hushed hedonism?

Thanks and love to you all!
And we've got to get ourselves back to the garden.

thisisthatwhichis

Post by thisisthatwhichis » Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:02 pm

Hi and welcome, WHO....

Hedonism is an odd word to use..... But maybe not, depending on any expectation you might have........ I recommend people try not to bring those with them for their first trip out there......

You should definetely read and re-read the survivors guide, as the conditions are, sometimes hard if you are not prepared.

As far as where to camp..... It's open camping, you can camp anywhere that is not set aside for the theme camps. If you wish to connect with a theme camp, you should contact them beforehand and see if it's a good fit for you.....

Hope that helps, and continue to check out the threads.... there is a lot of good info here....
TITWI

To be on the wire is life. The rest is waiting.
It's show time, folks.....Joe Gideon

erri2000

Post by erri2000 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:15 pm

WHO wrote:I also am bringing my 19yr old son, because I want him to experience a giving/free spirit community before he gets all grown up and puts on a suit.

Since it will be my 19 yr old son and me, an over the hill hippie mom, where do you think we would fit in best?
I'm thinking Hushville, cause at least it should be an even keel, without blatant hedonistic activities, or is it just hushed hedonism?
I have a question WHO.
Why can't your son camp with you.
Why can't he camp where he wants?
And since he is 19 isn't he all grown up in your eyes?
Or is he still a child to you?
19 is old enough to die in war time.
It seems kind of controlling to bring a "Wild Buck" to a rodeo and then keep him in the stable.
Why don't you let him run free and watch proudly as the child you raised turns into the man you know he is?

That doesn't mean you have to turn your back, but trust you raised him properly. If he gets in trouble, that would be on his head not yours. (Unless you told him to do what got him in trouble)

Said with all love and respect.
It is alot like sex,

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:32 pm

WHO wrote:Hello all.
My first burn will be 2008 and I am really looking forward to it.
I feel like I should have been here since the beginning, but somehow missed it for 21yrs. I really want to experience the community, dust and H.R. Puff-n-stuff of it all!

I also am bringing my 19yr old son, because I want him to experience a giving/free spirit community before he gets all grown up and puts on a suit.

I do have a question, and I hope you guys can help.

Thanks and love to you all!
Hushville is simply a hushed conglomeration of individual camps. That said, we're a wonderful community, all ages, akinds of people. Three rules, no generators (which includes your car), no amplified music (or noise extending from your personal camp), and LNT. Camping in Hushville does require pre-registration, although that does not guarantee you a spot. Except for the interactive ad larger camps placed in the center and along the streets, the rest of Hushville is first come first served. We have a super-duper secret handshake to know if you pregistered or not. Peterman gets the Hushville site up and running around June or July.

WHO

Post by WHO » Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:49 pm

[quote="thisisthatwhichis"]Hi and welcome, WHO....

Hedonism is an odd word to use..... But maybe not, depending on any expectation you might have........ I recommend people try not to bring those with them for their first trip out there...... [/quote]

Well, I really don't EXPECT anything except good things, but I don't want to be in a loud/drinking/ partying area. Not that there is anything wrong with that for others.

[quote="thisisthatwhichis"]
You should definetely read and re-read the survivors guide, as the conditions are, sometimes hard if you are not prepared.[/quote]

I read it twice already. Bring on the shower made from duct tape (or is that the camp stove?)

As far as where to camp..... It's open camping, you can camp anywhere that is not set aside for the theme camps. If you wish to connect with a theme camp, you should contact them beforehand and see if it's a good fit for you..... [quote/]

I checked out the theme camp list from 2007, which is what got me thinking about the noise levels, and maybe the drinking levels in various theme park areas. As for "The Kid", he is underage.

Hope that helps, and continue to check out the threads.... there is a lot of good info here....[/quote]

Thanks for the guidance. I really do appreciate everything and I hope to see ya soon!

thisisthatwhichis

Post by thisisthatwhichis » Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:56 pm

Sounds like you've got it all dialed in, WHO.... Welcome Home!!!...... :D AntiM has some good tips about Hushville.....
TITWI

To be on the wire is life. The rest is waiting.
It's show time, folks.....Joe Gideon

WHO

Post by WHO » Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:01 pm

[quote="erri2000"]

I have a question WHO.
Why can't your son camp with you.
Why can't he camp where he wants?
And since he is 19 isn't he all grown up in your eyes?
Or is he still a child to you?
19 is old enough to die in war time.
It seems kind of controlling to bring a "Wild Buck" to a rodeo and then keep him in the stable.
Why don't you let him run free and watch proudly as the child you raised turns into the man you know he is?

That doesn't mean you have to turn your back, but trust you raised him properly. If he gets in trouble, that would be on his head not yours. (Unless you told him to do what got him in trouble)

Said with all love and respect.[/quote]

Sorry-I don't know how to quote correctly...

Your questions made me go HUH? for a second, but no offense taken.
If THE KID wants to camp elsewhere, then fine. I asked if he wants to bring a friend with him so that he wouldn't feel attached to me.
I want him to experience the week how he wants, I guess it came out wrong how I put it.
That said, he is underage and I am his mom, so if there is a way I can help him stay out of trouble without stepping on his soul, I will try.

PEACE

WHO

Post by WHO » Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:04 pm

Anti-M,
It does sound like our kind of area.
Thank you for the info. I forgot about the no generators.
I don't think we will be bringing one, the goal being self-reliance and minimalism.

Oh- and fun!

Thanks and salutations.

EsoTeRiCo

Hello..

Post by EsoTeRiCo » Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:01 pm

I'm Mario...i'm gonna be relocating from NYC to Las Vegas in february, and i am planning on going to my first burning man event, i have a question about travel at the festival, would motorized bikes be allowed? ..electric bikes, etc?

BitterDan

Post by BitterDan » Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:24 pm

Hi Mario,

Yes motorized scooters and bicycles are fine. I am not sure what the rule is but I see plenty of people on those annoying scooters buzzing up and down the streets.
Camp FuckIt + MT - 7:15 & D (maybe)

Burner-Bob

Post by Burner-Bob » Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:20 pm

Yikes... where am I auntie em? :shock:
I was lookin for BMIR people.

Catwoman69y2k

Re: Hello and Welcome... What's your name? Tell me about You

Post by Catwoman69y2k » Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:25 pm

Hello

I guess this thread has gone on for a good many years but I figure Ill delurk. Umm...lets see....I am not good at talking about myself....

Im Kat (the Leopardess) or Kat of Zion depending. I am a 25 year old burner. First burn was this past one and what an experience that was.

I havent used this particular site much except after the burn in attempts to find out more about the What When Where guide and how I can help for 2008. Slowly getting answers to that.

Um, not much else to say. I dont have anything artistic to do anymore (only people that see my art these days are the walls of my house), am a ft web designer and err...I live out in the Inland Empire.

Nice to meet you guys.
Kat

erri2000

Post by erri2000 » Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:35 pm

Welcome Home Catwoman69y2k!

Last year was my first year as well. 2008 is gonna Rock!

Check out the Lounge posting in the 2008 theme camps area, I hope to see you there
It is alot like sex,

Catwoman69y2k

Post by Catwoman69y2k » Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:39 pm

[quote="erri2000"]Welcome Home Catwoman69y2k!

Last year was my first year as well. 2008 is gonna Rock!

Check out the Lounge posting in the 2008 theme camps area, I hope to see you there[/quote]

Yeah. Sadly I would need to camp somewhere else this year and no one knows me well enough. Not sure where I would fit in so it should be interesting to see how that would pan out. Not sure about this year yet.

LeChatNoir

Re: Hello..

Post by LeChatNoir » Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:01 pm

EsoTeRiCo wrote:I'm Mario...i'm gonna be relocating from NYC to Las Vegas in february, and i am planning on going to my first burning man event, i have a question about travel at the festival, would motorized bikes be allowed? ..electric bikes, etc?
Welcome Mario!!!

The deal is...

Anything with a motor or engine AND a seat must be licensed through the Department of Mutant Vehicles. Our art vehicle didn't have to go through that process last year because, though it had seats, it was human powered. those loud "BRAAAAHHHHH" scooters don't have seats and so don't have to have a DMV license, either (but I sure do wish people would at least try to dress them up a bit).

So... if your bike has an electric motor, by the DMV's rules, it would have to have a license. And needing that will mean it'd have to be modified into an art vehicle of some sort (an exception being the need for such a thing due to a disability). And just so you know, the whole place is flat and very easy to get around via bicycle. they're a great way to get around. Walking is fun too, though.

Check this link for more details.

And Welcome Catwoman!!! Hang around and get to know folks here. You'll find a place tht you'll it in just fine.

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:24 pm

Burner-Bob wrote:Yikes... where am I auntie em? :shock:
Bobzilla. He's also over on tribe.net, same name.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:09 am

Burner-Bob wrote:Yikes... where am I auntie em? :shock:
You're on eplaya dear. Now click your heels three times and say "There's no place like home..."

erri2000

Post by erri2000 » Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:23 am

Everybody! Lets follow AntiM's lead and all go there now.

click's heel once, twice,three times a lady

"There's no place like home..."
It is alot like sex,

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:46 am

Once again, I am unable to take part in the festivities.
The Lady with a Lamprey

BAS
Burning Since: 2006

Post by BAS » Sat Jan 12, 2008 5:32 pm

It's okay, 'fishy. I tried the suggested ritual, and found myself in KANSAS of all places! :shock: I really wasn't ready to go visiting relatives... :?
"Nothing is withheld from us which we have conceived to do.
Do things that have never been done."
--Russell Kirsch

Toolmaker

Post by Toolmaker » Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:12 pm

BitterDan wrote:Hi Mario,

Yes motorized scooters and bicycles are fine. I am not sure what the rule is but I see plenty of people on those annoying scooters buzzing up and down the streets.
:idea:

The only rule I know of is the one requiring a leaf blower attached to the rear of any 2 wheeled vehicle. This leaf blower must be able to kick up dust whenever the vehicle is rolling.

I had thought I asked about pedacycles and was told that a pedal assist electric bicycle was ok. But thats not exactly the same as a full out electric or gas powered 2 wheeler with a seat. The stand up 2 wheelers are open season though, I don't think hiding the seat in your gear will qualifies a sit down model. Think Segway and Goped type 2 wheelers.

Note on anything refered to as "mutant vehicle".

In 07 there was an enormous amount of vehicles brought and not all got permits. There is more emphasis on MUTANT rather than ART CAR. Think partybarge/public transport and you will likely be higher on the list so to speak. In other words.. not everyone with a golf cart with shit taped to the sides is going to get a permit. The same goes for the vehicles that look stock. I'm sure there will be some "grandfathered" exceptions but no new ones I imagine. Disability placards are golden though, you can have any electric wheelchair or golfcart etc as long as you fill out the form in time and make sure you bring your placard/paperwork for the disability permit.
This account has been closed as demanded by Wedeliver.

erri2000

Post by erri2000 » Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:06 am

Sorry, I got so excited about playaing that I forgot to introduce myself

I am Zsu Zsu,

Defintion:
Two seperates
Yet the same
Making up the whole

i am not he
i am me
together we
make ONE