Hello and Welcome... What's your name? Tell me about You...

Start here - tell us about yourself and what brings you to ePlaya.
t-babe

Theresa Here

Post by t-babe » Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:02 am

Theresa here, but everyone calls me T. 2008 will be my first Burning Man. A much needed vacation from the real world. 2007 was an emotional rollercoaster, leaving me feeling empty and alone. Now, however, planning has filled my life. (Wow, I feel like I am writing an e-mail to Oprah) I live in New York. Work as an actor. Just wanted to post and say "Hey".
Believe in your brother, have faith in man,
Help each other, honey, if you can
Because it looks like everybody in this whole round world
Is down on me.
-Janis

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:14 am

Welcome Home, T.

BAS
Burning Since: 2006

Post by BAS » Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:40 am

Hello T! I know what you mean about 2007! I just hope I can afford the fuel to get to Burning Man for 2008-- I need a break, too. :shock: (Lost a job I liked, spent a lot of the year working temp jobs, now working as a custodian at the University of Wisconsin in Madison. Co-workers, environment, and city are good, work o.k., pay... not so good.)

Welcome and Hello! These forums are a good information source (as well as a fun place to waste time! :wink: )
"Nothing is withheld from us which we have conceived to do.
Do things that have never been done."
--Russell Kirsch

Papa Thanatos

Post by Papa Thanatos » Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:40 pm

Guess i'm the same as a lot of people, 2007 was a good year in a sense, but feel like i'm just drifting through life, without really living.

Heading to Burning Man would be like a step to finally start doing things on my own terms for once, not just doing the nine to five routine i'v foundmyself stuck in for the past few years.

If i'm honest though the thought of going is very daunting, as i'm likely to have to head on my own, can't see any of my friends having the cash or the interest to come. Stll, feels like a step I need to make if i'm to have any piece of mind.

Sorry, rambling now, carry on.

BitterDan

Post by BitterDan » Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:00 pm

If i'm honest though the thought of going is very daunting, as i'm likely to have to head on my own
Look into Stag Camp. They'll take lonely stragglers such as yourself.
Camp FuckIt + MT - 7:15 & D (maybe)

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:51 pm

BitterDan wrote:
If i'm honest though the thought of going is very daunting, as i'm likely to have to head on my own
Look into Stag Camp. They'll take lonely stragglers such as yourself.
That's how they get meat on their table.

I know, snark is forbidden in this thread.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

motskyroonmatick
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: B.R.C. Welding&Repair

Stag Camp 2.0

Post by motskyroonmatick » Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:56 pm

Any exposure is good press!

Last year everyone survived.
Look at the early posts to get an idea of what Stag Camp is and if you like it give us a shout out. We haven't really cranked things up this year but will be doing so soon.
In the end we had 50+people in camp that were complete strangers and we all got along great with no drama.
http://eplaya.burningman.org/viewtopic.php?t=19875
We only eat the really tasty ones. :wink:
Black Rock City Welding & Repair. The Night Time Warming Station. iGNiTE! Bar.

Card Carrying Member BRCCP.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-

kndherb

Post by kndherb » Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:10 pm

HI there, this will be my first burn even tho I have wanted to go for at least 10 years. I will probaly be going solo, so I was hoping to meet some people in my area. I'm a professional chef, working in Los Angeles livin in the I.E.

BitterDan

Post by BitterDan » Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:20 am

Welcome Kndherb! You should have no problems finding burners in the LA area.

Also, you can go to Joshua Tree Music Festival in May. A lot of burners go to that one and it's a good way to ease-in to the whole scene (since there is food and water available at Joshua Tree but not at Burning Man).
Camp FuckIt + MT - 7:15 & D (maybe)

CLARKcon
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: COFFEE CAMP

Post by CLARKcon » Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:51 am

Hello kndherb! The only thing of sorrow I have to say is that you've waited ten years to go! :D My first was in 2002, and artistically mind-blowing/expandingly speaking, was awsome and has become an annual endeavor since. If you have any questions, read this year's Survival Guide (on the homepage) or for more fun/less formal conversation visit "The Bar" thread under the Open discussion tab. Advice? (Laugh) Remember to drink your water and watch/wash your feet...
☕ COFFEE CAMP :
"The Social Hub of the Uncivilized World"

.: 🔥)'(🔥 2020 // ...???... :.

pinemom

Post by pinemom » Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:53 pm

Good point Cc...I always forget to tell peeps about watching and washing your feet!
Bring vinegar!
wash your feet with water and vinegar and moisturize everysingle day!
I swing by 99centerstore grab a cheapo bus tub, keep it under the bed to use as a disignated foot bath.
Wash my feet before I roll over throw on a smear of bag balm throw on some clean cotton sock...yummmmmmmmmmmmmm
Names pinemom, but my friends call me "Piney".

kndherb

Post by kndherb » Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:54 pm

Thanks for the advice I love the feel of new cotton socks so I guess at least I can look foward to that.
I'm starting to have second thooughts about going because I have been reading alot about (the single creepy guy stigma). I'm still trying to get my wife to go, but she is not a desert person. (she would probbly be miserable)
I have already bought the tickets not sure if I should go or just sell them.

LeChatNoir

Post by LeChatNoir » Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:21 pm

Don't sell them... not yet.

And the single creepy guy thing is too overblown on eplaya in my opinion. I’ve met some pretty damn cool guys (and gals) who simply came alone because they didn’t have anyone who wanted to come with them. You should know that most approach situations with an open mind. If you're not a creepy guy, you'll most likely not come across as one.

And always remember, eplaya and the real playa are two very different things. Come check it out for yourself. If the misses doesn’t want to make the trek, don't try and force her. She should want to check it out completely of her own will, else it'll probably end up being no fun for both of you. but she should know that its not a sandy, cactus desert we're talking about here. Very dry, yes... and dusty... but flat hard pack lake bed that's easy to ride a bike on.
The New and Improved Black Cat... now with 25% more blather

NyxValentine

Post by NyxValentine » Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:39 pm

Hi all- I just joined in, and I just bought my ticket too...This'll be my first year, and I'm rather excited.

Catwoman69y2k

Post by Catwoman69y2k » Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:53 pm

[quote="LeChatNoir"]Don't sell them... not yet.

And the single creepy guy thing is too overblown on eplaya in my opinion. I’ve met some pretty damn cool guys (and gals) who simply came alone because they didn’t have anyone who wanted to come with them. You should know that most approach situations with an open mind. If you're not a creepy guy, you'll most likely not come across as one.

And always remember, eplaya and the real playa are two very different things. Come check it out for yourself. If the misses doesn’t want to make the trek, don't try and force her. She should want to check it out completely of her own will, else it'll probably end up being no fun for both of you. but she should know that its not a sandy, cactus desert we're talking about here. Very dry, yes... and dusty... but flat hard pack lake bed that's easy to ride a bike on.[/quote]
I got to agree here. In all honesty, I think that part of the reason that the creepy guy stigma is often something that gets noted to a virgin early on is because people want to sort of keep that possibility out there but not necessarily scare them off. No one wants to deal with a creep and some people are less sheltered about it than others so there is no telling how a virgin will deal with the thought of that happening. Sadly it makes the few creepy guys become more like "tons of creepy guys' in the education process. Scuttlebutt also helps this along.

Also in agreeance about the wife part. It will be a bad thing if she comes along to please you and then it ends up making for a lousy time as certain things start to bother her or make her uncomfortable. Its all about an open mind. I know that it felt weird that my other half wasn't going to join me in this experience but he has his own sensibilities about this sort of thing and he wasnt open enough for it.

LeChatNoir

Post by LeChatNoir » Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:43 pm

NyxValentine wrote:Hi all- I just joined in, and I just bought my ticket too...This'll be my first year, and I'm rather excited.
Hiya Nyx!!

Hope that shortened version of your username is allright 'cause it just rolled of the tongue so easily.

Welcome, welcome!!! Glad you got your tickets. Be sure to read the first-timer's guide through and through. Oh... and practice good playa potty etiquette, too, please. Robbi Dobbs will love you for it.

NyxValentine

Post by NyxValentine » Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:52 pm

[quote="LeChatNoir"]
Hiya Nyx!!

Hope that shortened version of your username is allright 'cause it just rolled of the tongue so easily.

Welcome, welcome!!! Glad you got your tickets. Be sure to read the [url=http://www.burningman.com/first_timers/]first-timer's guide[/url] through and through. Oh... and practice good playa potty etiquette, too, please. Robbi Dobbs will love you for it.[/quote]

But of course! All variations thereof are acceptable :)

And it shall be my bible for the next 7 months!!!

Leslie218

Post by Leslie218 » Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:49 pm

hi. im leslie, im 18 and this will be my first burning man and my first trip outside of canada. im really excited and really nervous since this will be the first big trip i've ever taken by myself.

skeetsh00ter

Post by skeetsh00ter » Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:27 pm

Hi Leslie!

Welcome to eplaya.

You will have a blast at Burning Man, nothing to be nervous about at all...it's actually a perfect trip to take by yourself, you'll meet plenty of amazing people throughout the week!

have you ever been to Shambhala by chance...its over in BC (not sure where you are from) but I was thinking about making the trip. If you've been let me know how it was.

Intubater69

Post by Intubater69 » Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:44 pm

Hey all.....Chris from the Detroit Gulag's. This will be my first trip to BM after knowing about it for 5-6 years. LOL 46 yrs old and a virgin again, woo hoo :)
A friend went in 05 and I was so jealous. Don't ask me why I waited another 3 yrs to go. But finally got my act together and I'll be playa bound come August.
I get to drive the ambulance how fast?!!

SailMan

MikeVDS
Camp Name: Tiki Fuckos

Post by MikeVDS » Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:59 pm

Also, you can go to Joshua Tree Music Festival in May. A lot of burners go to that one and it's a good way to ease-in to the whole scene (since there is food and water available at Joshua Tree but not at Burning Man).
Your statement is true, but I'd like people to not go. Some friends held a similar event there with the land owner knowing full well it would be a similar event with live music and DJs, and he even helped set up the equipment so the speakers faced away from the rest of his campground. He even warned the few other campers who came that this was going on and it would be loud before they entered. Then early the first night (8:00ish) he had a problem and said "no more speakers". Similar problem around 6:00 the next night during a band performance. No explanations were given, just demands, which were followed until cleanup on Sunday morning when they decided to blast music because of the guys broken agreement.

That festival might be fun but I can't justify giving that guy any more money. There are lots of similar events in the area that are burner friendly and non profit or the money goes toward other burner events.
[img]http://tikifuckos.org/anisign.gif[/img]

ohmissfigurazh

Post by ohmissfigurazh » Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:01 pm

My name is Kristina, but I go by Xryst since the original spelling of my name was Xrystina but then was later changed, anywho. I am from Vancouver, WA, no not Canada. It's right by Portland, OR. I'm nineteen years old, I enjoy photography and cinematography. I love traveling and going to places I've never been to before. I always thought it would be amazing to have an event such as the Burning Man, I've heard of it but never thought it actually existed until a friend of mine told me to research it on the web, and here I am, planning, preparing and learning about this amazing experience, 7 months to go and counting. See you all at the Playa!
http://www.socialvibe.com/?r=60257&b

bigbluedoggy
Camp Name: Destiny Lounge 3D

Post by bigbluedoggy » Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:43 pm

kndherb
HI there, this will be my first burn even tho I have wanted to go for at least 10 years. I will probaly be going solo, so I was hoping to meet some people in my area. I'm a professional chef, working in Los Angeles livin in the I.E.
Hey, kndherb! Welcome! You're not too far from us! We will probably have some openings in our ranks this time around. You can check out this thread http://eplaya.burningman.org/viewtopic.php?t=23450 and see if that sounds interesting at all! Even if you opt to go elsewhere, be sure to stop in and say hey!

Doggy
A plan is what you vary from.

Destiny Lounge has been proven to cause cuteness in small kittens.

Destiny Lounge 3D - located in the 3:00 Plaza at G for 2019! Look for our art installation too: The Temple uv Enlightenment!

CLARKcon
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: COFFEE CAMP

Post by CLARKcon » Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:21 pm

Hello Xryst! So you like photography & cinematography? Well, welcome home! BM is dubbed as an Arts Festival (on every platform and medium). The Arts aspect is my primary reason for going (followed by humanity in a very close second, and chaos my third). Be careful if bringing out expensive/unreplaceable camera's & gear- the d u s t infiltrates everything and can be hazardous to electronics. Consider bringing less heartfelt equip/disposable (they make zoom/digital disposable cam's now!) and prepare mentally to see, breathe, and sleep in an environment of d r e a m s :D
☕ COFFEE CAMP :
"The Social Hub of the Uncivilized World"

.: 🔥)'(🔥 2020 // ...???... :.

couglite

Post by couglite » Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:24 pm

I guess I worked my way through the boards backwards... Been posting trying to get info and it was all here in the first place.

I'm coming from Vancouver Island for my first burn. I am traveling as the only adult with three teenage boys - I believe this is my midlife about-face. My son is old enough to look after himself and I am reclaiming who I once was. Burning Man is step one, finding my inner artist is step 2 and learning to dance and not care who's watching is step 3. Then I will be ready to live the rest of my life fully.

I am really pretty excited...

LeChatNoir

Post by LeChatNoir » Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:01 pm

Welcome to eplaya, couglite…

There’s lots of info on the boards about kids (teenage and otherwise) at Burning Man. Dig around and you’ll find plenty of reading with lots of varied opinions. The main thing, I’d think is knowing your kids and what they can handle. It might be good an idea to come check it out yourself first, just to know what its like. But this is ultimately up to you.

Read up on everything you can find. And make your kids read it with you… over and over and over. If they won't do the homework with you, I'd really hesitate about bringing them for your first time. It’s a sensory overload without anybody else to worry about, just so you know. And being unprepared can be quite dangerous.

Ok... enough with the lecturing... Hang around here and get to know some folks. Good advice has been known to surface from time to time around here.

LeChatNoir

Post by LeChatNoir » Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:04 pm

couglite wrote:Burning Man is step one, finding my inner artist is step 2 and learning to dance and not care who's watching is step 3. Then I will be ready to live the rest of my life fully.

I am really pretty excited...
Oh yeah... and you should be able to knock those first three steps out the first day without much problem.

Chief

Post by Chief » Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:11 pm

It seems I introduced myself in the wrong section. There are so many forum posts it can get confusing. I hope I am in the right place this time. I will try this again.

Hello every body, I am the Chief. I inherited that name from my grandfather, he was really great guy.

As for me I am a jack of all trades and a master of none. I have heard so much about the burn and would love to get involved with all projects but I am pretty sure that will be impossible.

Any suggestions on what would be a good first camp to volenteer with? I would really like to learn to weld or something that is not "ELECTRONIC". Is there a camp like that?
Forgiveness is something that you have to earn.
-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
Part of Shock the Karma Conglomerate

erri2000

Post by erri2000 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:33 pm

Chief wrote:Any suggestions on what would be a good first camp to volunteer with? I would really like to learn to weld or something that is not "ELECTRONIC". Is there a camp like that?
Wait a minute? Didn't I already welcome you home? Well anyways.

Welcome home. :roll:

As for the welding, I am pretty sure that Toolmaker has some info about welding posted around.
It is alot like sex,
Some people just don't get it

Part of Shock the Karma Conglomerate

LeChatNoir

Post by LeChatNoir » Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:46 pm

Chief wrote:It seems I introduced myself in the wrong section. There are so many forum posts it can get confusing. I hope I am in the right place this time. I will try this again.

Hello every body, I am the Chief. I inherited that name from my grandfather, he was really great guy.

As for me I am a jack of all trades and a master of none. I have heard so much about the burn and would love to get involved with all projects but I am pretty sure that will be impossible.

Any suggestions on what would be a good first camp to volenteer with? I would really like to learn to weld or something that is not "ELECTRONIC". Is there a camp like that?
No worries Chief…

There’s no wrong place to be around here. Welcome!!

Later on in the year there'll be more and more camps posting on the boards. Keep an eye on the 2008 Theme Campssection. And as to welding, do a search of the threads... you'll turn up plenty of stuff that Toolmaker has posted.

Return to “The Greeter's Station”