Hello and Welcome... What's your name? Tell me about You...

Start here - tell us about yourself and what brings you to ePlaya.
PaintDragon

PaintDragon

Post by PaintDragon » Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:44 am

Hey Everyone,

You can call me PaintDragon, which is the name of my design business of ten years.

I've loosely followed BM since its inception and will finally be making my first trip there for Metropolis in 2010. I am incredibly excited about making it out there and have no expectations except that I need to pack well.

I've gone through the whole BM site and read all the instructions, rules, and survival guides and am slowly getting things together. I think the biggest reason it's taken me so long to get out there is that BM doesn't interest a lot of my friends. A good friend recently moved to CA and went to BM this past year and has invited me to be in her camp next year. Belonging to a camp seems very important, especially for the first year as I get my bearings.

Now I'm trying to decide what to pack, what to ship, and getting connected with other Burners in Connecticut. I've also started working on some simple costumes that will work with the environment. I'm usually an outdoors person in the mountains of Vermont and New Hampshire in the winter, but I love the desert as well. I just need to respect it and learn from it and it will love me back, too.

Can't wait to let my FREAK FLAG FLY! God bless my understanding husband who will not be coming with me.

~PaintDragon
~PaintDragon

lbdavid98

Post by lbdavid98 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:56 am

hey all. My names David... I'm an amateur dabbler. I'm a student without a classroom, an unpaid translator of books, and an aspiring animator--who can't draw. Did I mention I answer phones in a hospital all night, two doors down from the morgue? Fortunately my coworkers are pretty quiet... so I get a lot of time to work on the above projects. I've heard about burning man, but always thought it was a big concert (not entirely wrong). Finally a friend told me I should check out the site, and in under a minute I felt compelled to be there. Kudos to whomever is responsible for maintaining this place btw.

Did I mention I moved to Kansas, about 1700 miles from friends or family, last April? I thought without the distractions of my former life I'd be able to write a lot more, and I am producing... but there's a lot to be said for community, which is something I really feel like I'm lacking. So I'm here to see where I can lend a hand and hopefully meet some great people.

zachass

Post by zachass » Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:33 pm

Hi.

My name's Zach. I will respond to Zach, Z, zachass, Hey you...over there....

2010 will be first burn.

I'm a sysadmin and have lived in LA for 10 years now. My boss at work has been a ranger for 10 years.

Over the past year I've come to realize that BY FAR the most genuine and happy people I've met here are Burners. I simply have to experience this week in the desert.

I posted in the other welcome thread as well, so hopefully I won't be bludgeoned for cross-posting since this was a sticky, announcement-type thread.
Treat people like you want to be treated. Really...it's simple and it [i]actually works[/i]

LeChatNoir

Post by LeChatNoir » Fri Nov 27, 2009 7:08 pm

Welcome PaintDragon!

You seem appropriately jazzed about the adventure you’re about to embark upon.

And another big welcome to Zachass and David. Ibdave’s earlier advice of open minds and no expectations is sage wisdom that can serve you all very well.
The New and Improved Black Cat... now with 25% more blather

winebuff
Burning Since: 2010

Post by winebuff » Sat Nov 28, 2009 7:33 pm

Hi Paintdragon and everyone else

Also a virgin here and giddy to the point that this is all I think aobut now. Going solo, husband doesnt share the love of bm and very excited. Cant wait to see u all on the playa!

PaintDragon

Psyched is an understatement

Post by PaintDragon » Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:29 pm

Yeah, really jazzed about this. I'm with you, Winebuff, it's kind of taking up my mind right now.

I'm trying to find pieces to make some cool costumes that will travel easily. I'll be flying out to California and hooking up with some burners there then driving to BRC together. At least that's the plan now.

It's been a while since I've been in the desert and I was wondering about something that sounds really silly. If you're wearing small pieces of metal, like jewelry, does it become uncomfortably warm?

Also, what do people usually wear at night to keep them warm?

Thanks!
~PaintDragon

LeChatNoir

Post by LeChatNoir » Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:47 pm

Your jewelry won’t get too hot during the day to keep wearing. I’ve never had a problem with that while there, at least. Now… if you lay your black pendant on the hood of your car and pick it up 20 minutes later, you may get a different result.

As to staying warm, layers are a good idea, since it can get pretty cold at night. I’ve seen it around freezing, but then again I’ve been there when it’s in the mid 60’s at 4am as well. And it could be anywhere in between, so come prepared for a wide variety of conditions.

Longer, flowy cloths really help during the day. The desert peoples don’t wear stuff like that for nothing.

pinemom

Post by pinemom » Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:06 am

pinemom wrote:Hi Im shelly!
I joined a while ago, but havent been faithful...IM BACK howdy to you all!

Wow...This is a old post!!!!
Names pinemom, but my friends call me "Piney".

gooniesftw

Post by gooniesftw » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:09 pm

Names Jordan :)

This will hopefully be my first time out to BM, just want to make sure I have atleast one or two other people to go with ... not because I'm not self sufficient, but its a LONG journey from Florida. Almost the other side of the world if you will haha.

I'm an accountant by trade, but am far from what you would expect a normal one to be. 24 years old, autocross and roadrace on my free time, and enjoy alternative cultures. Maybe I should have been an artist or a designer or something, IDK.

Anyway, looking forward to going out and exploring what else life has to offer. Trying to pull together a few people from down here to travel with! If all goes well I'll definately be out there with the craziest LED display you will have every seen.

Jordan
Florida burners FTW

lbdavid98

Post by lbdavid98 » Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:08 am

gooniesftw wrote:Maybe I should have been an artist or a designer or something, IDK.
It's not too late :P

mudpuppy000
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: THE BELLIGERENT GAP

Post by mudpuppy000 » Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:00 am

[quote="gooniesftw"]Names Jordan :)

This will hopefully be my first time out to BM, just want to make sure I have atleast one or two other people to go with ... not because I'm not self sufficient, but its a LONG journey from Florida. Almost the other side of the world if you will haha.

[/quote]

Don't let that stop you. I went solo this year (virgin year) after my friends flaked out, and had an amazing time. I don't know if I would have had the same experience with a group of people I knew.

lbdavid98

Post by lbdavid98 » Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:04 pm

mudpuppy000 wrote:I don't know if I would have had the same experience with a group of people I knew.
That's a concern I have with the trip I'm planning this year. I "knew" I was going to be at burningman in 2010 about 15 minutes after visiting the website. The planning leads to excitement, which I share with my friends... and before you know it, they all want to come too...

Realistically, I know that most of them won't follow through--but a few of my friends are about as invested as I am already in preparations so I know they're likely to attend. Suddenly there's a little part of me that worries about my experience being diminished by a focus on returning to meet with them, or worse, babysitting them because they won't participate in a meaningful way.

I'm very hands on, I want to join a theme camp or an art project and meet new people and try things way outside of my norm, I know my friends aren't that adventurous--and I don't want them along as spectators... but discouraging them from attending feels just as wrong.

zachass

Post by zachass » Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:51 pm

lbdavid98 wrote:
mudpuppy000 wrote:I don't know if I would have had the same experience with a group of people I knew.
That's a concern I have with the trip I'm planning this year. I "knew" I was going to be at burningman in 2010 about 15 minutes after visiting the website. The planning leads to excitement, which I share with my friends... and before you know it, they all want to come too...

Realistically, I know that most of them won't follow through--but a few of my friends are about as invested as I am already in preparations so I know they're likely to attend. Suddenly there's a little part of me that worries about my experience being diminished by a focus on returning to meet with them, or worse, babysitting them because they won't participate in a meaningful way.

I'm very hands on, I want to join a theme camp or an art project and meet new people and try things way outside of my norm, I know my friends aren't that adventurous--and I don't want them along as spectators... but discouraging them from attending feels just as wrong.
Boy did you ever hit the nail on the head with this. I'm in the exact same boat.

I'm still encouraging my friends to go, but I'm also 'warning?' them this isn't just a big week-long party. They have to be responsible for themselves.
Treat people like you want to be treated. Really...it's simple and it [i]actually works[/i]

mudpuppy000
Camp Name: THE BELLIGERENT GAP

Post by mudpuppy000 » Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:21 pm

I think it might work out well if you bring friends with you, just as long as you have plenty of "alone time" and no deadlines to meet up or hang out or whatever. It was nice to come back to camp and hang out with the neighbors that I had met, but a few times we went out to explore the playa in a group, it felt like I was constrained to do what the group felt like doing...

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:38 pm

We so rarely go out as a camp group that when we do, it is fun. Always spontaneously, which what may make it enjoyable. I have never herded my virgins, I turn them loose.

Boijoy
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Metro Mart

Post by Boijoy » Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:52 pm

Hearding Virgins.. :lol: well THAT sure conjures some visuals..
don't forget to floss

LeChatNoir

Post by LeChatNoir » Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:01 pm

Our camp is pretty tight and we are known to head out on a group run-amuck. Very early in the week we often roam and return together on these adventures, but later in the week there is an unsaid agreement that surfaces, and usually at some point in the evening the group simply dwindles.

Maybe you exchange a look from across a jumping dance floor that says “see you later“, or you simply look up and your friends have disappeared. Doesn’t matter. You know how to get home and so do they. Go explore the night.

I have noticed that people always seem to come home around dinner time.

Zhiv

Post by Zhiv » Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:08 am

Hello, I'm Zhiv and I've never been to BM. Planning for 2010 and already think about the trip every day. I'm 27/m, looking into home state and neary burner groups for interim fun.

I've read first timer's guide and survival guide more than once each. I've lurked the forums as well.

Im the type that has considered walk-in camping as well as hushville, as I'd appreciate space and at least the option of quiet time.

I'd love to help build something, though I am no artist or contractor.

I've been spitballing a water-man costume.

Anyway, howdy and look forward to metting you on the playa.

Madgirl
Camp Name: Synapse Conduit

Post by Madgirl » Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:30 pm

Hi burner buddies!

I'm Madeleine, aka Madgirl, and this will be my second burn. Last year was my first and it was absolutely the most amazing thing I've ever experienced! Can't wait to be back. I'm Colorado born-and-raised, a microbiologist by trade but a ski bum at heart, a little bit of a hippy, a little bit of a nerd, a world traveler, usually pretty quiet but a wild child once I get warmed up. I love spontaneous adventures, laughing until I cry, getting up early (or staying up late) to watch the sunrise, and pretty much anything involving the outdoors. My only regret from last year is that I spent too much time in my own camp and not enough out wandering around and meeting all of you wonderful people :D Looking forward to making up for that this year :wink:

LeChatNoir

Post by LeChatNoir » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:49 pm

Hi Zhiv… Welcome to eplaya. I’d love to hear more about your waterman costume idea. I bet you’d gt some good feed back with a thread about it.

And welcome to you, too, Madgirl. Sounds like you had a good first time. I always like to read stories about first-time Burning Man adventures. They help me get that same feeling back again.

dylan_ky

warped for life

Post by dylan_ky » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:23 pm

hey everyone my name is Dylan im from Bardstown ky evolution was my first year on the playa. I cant even begin to describe in words what happened to me out in that desert. All i know is that their is some force that IS AT WORK OUT THERE FAR BEYOND ANYTHING I WILL EVER BE ABLE TO COMPREHEND.it changed my life for the better and now even after coming back to the default world i can still feel that playa essence lingering in me.I just cannot wait till next years burn i just got my ticket today and it seems like the time for the burn will never get here. Any way i just wanted to introduce myself and maybe find some people who feel the same way or ever worse. Just contact me and let me know how i can help out and\or just talk about the burn namasta if that is how u spell it i dont even know

De Spook

Post by De Spook » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:41 pm

hi all,

lucas here from australia, living in ny. this will be my first burn and i'm looking forward to creating heaps of stuff for the playa - hopefully a roving art bike and some bits and bobs. would love to meet up with others in ny before heading over. have been drawn to the playa for many years, and now i'm finally in the US the pull is getting stronger.
Dancing is the perpendicular reenactment of the horizontal desire.

Blurt

Post by Blurt » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:36 pm

ello. Blurt here. Used to be couglite at my first burn. This is my third and it was decided that I put my foot in it every so often. Anyway. Back for more of your great convos, advice and discussion. I even like your bitching over here in the eplaya.

LeChatNoir

Post by LeChatNoir » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:57 am

Dylan, De Spook, Blurt…

Welcome to (or back) eplaya! Glad you’re in the US now De Spook. Should make it a bit easier to get to the desert at least, especially with an art project. Dylan, you’re like just down the road. And Blurt, if you like e-bitching, well… this place has started to get it down to a fine art.

Victorian

Post by Victorian » Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:45 am

Kate, Katie, and Victorian
21-year old hetero female in a relationship. Live-in boyfriend plays WoW and can't go anywhere without his phone, geek glasses, or hair perfectly spiked. He's not burning material. We're both ok leaving him behind. He trusts me and know I've got a good head and sturdy feet/legs.

My parents passed on their hippie jeans to me, I grew up with floyd, steve miller, acdc, metallica, and love of music and art.

Vegetarian, Pisces, Pagan, Freak, Dacer, Loudmouth.

I'll fit in just fine.

I'm hailing from Lake Havasu City, Az. This crazy guy named McCulloch actually transported the world famous London Bridge that fell down in london, to use as a bridge here in my small, little tourist of a lake town. No one here understands me, I travel 3 hours to vegas or Phoenix Az frequently to get my groove on and meet like minded people.

Missed 2009, but my best friend (21 gay male who behaves when I put him on his leash) are making the trek to bond as friends for life.

Our camp will be small, but I know how to survive for days in 130 degree temps here in town, so I'll have plenty of water, camping with Lizard Lemonade Lounge (or I hope)

Hope to see you all on the Playa. I'll stop writting for now so your heads don't explode. :wink:

Arcanum

Post by Arcanum » Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:26 pm

Arika here from East Texas- virgin burner, hoping to find folks to carpool with/camp with- only folks I know who are going live hours away :( and the majority (like 99.99999% of people I know) don't even know what BM is

I'll be going to Burning Flipside (Central Texas burn in May) This will be my first burn of any sort

I practice yoga, I want to finish my thesis, I'm curious about the best sunscreen to use (I'm incredibly pale) and all sorts of other useful BM advice. I'm learning the tarot and I talk an incredible lot. I also couchsurf, so I'm kind of use to meeting random folks :) I'm interested in drum circles if they happen and lots of other things- so I'll just read through random threads :)
looking for a home...

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:03 pm

Sunscreen questions are very personally answered. I tend to buy the spray and then not use it. This is a step up from my previous system of buying the horrible gooey, splugy stuff and not using it. I'd bring your usual stuff, up the number if possible, and be aware that if you get any showers it's going to become just one more contamination in the evaporation pond. 4K' is less of a protective layer between you and the infrafred, so maybe put it on more often.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Peacebandchick

Post by Peacebandchick » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:38 pm

Hi everyone,

Burning Man virgin here, though my ticket is in the mail. I'm trying to get in with some friends theme camp. I've wanted to go, and my heart has yearned and pulled me in the direction of BRC for 4 years, but this year I'm getting my ass in gear and I cannot wait!!

Alcoholics_Erogenous

Post by Alcoholics_Erogenous » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:56 pm

Word, dudes.
I'm Tom, and I'm planning on taking a road trip with a few friends from vermont all the way down to black rock. Getthing there will be an adventure in itself.
How do I describe myself? I love my music. Heavy Metal, Punk, Desert Rock, Alternative, Prog Metal, you name it. I'm pretty mellow and open minded, I've never been one to judge, and that's why I think I'm so interested in burning man. For a week, I'm gonna be surrounded by banillions of like-minded people in that sense.
Can't august get here quicker?

Victorian

Post by Victorian » Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:30 am

My town is closest to the sun, I might argue, then any other place in the U.S.

Contrary to popular belief, they say the STRONGER SPF #, really doesn't matter... As long as it's like, SPF 45 or higher, it really doesn't offer MORE protection...

Wear light clothing, lots of layers, white and lighter colors rather then black and darker colors so heat is not absorbed as much....

Consider bringing hat, sunglasses, cute or sexy gloves, or other protectant stuff to wear BESIDES the sunscreen. You want a good face moisturizer and SPF, like Neutrogena or other great products good for JUST your FACE....

Consider a parasol or cute Umbrella. I'm taking two this year, and painting them to my liking (I found them for 1$ each at a garage sale)

Hope this helps!!!

Return to “The Greeter's Station”