Hello and Welcome... What's your name? Tell me about You...

Start here - tell us about yourself and what brings you to ePlaya.
ibdave
Burning Since: 1998

Re: New to BM - 2011

Post by ibdave » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:26 am

JTowne wrote:Hey all! My name is Justin Towne, I'm a newcomer to the BM phenomenon.

I hail from a little north of Boston, MA, and hell yeah a bunch of us plan to drive the 2900 miles to visit you all :D !
manOman I'm so glad I live 6-8 hours away...

JT hold on for the ride of your life... Welcome... 8) 8) 8)
I was Born OK the 1st Time....

Don't bring defaultia to Burning Man, take Burning Man to defaultia...... graidawg

JTowne

Post by JTowne » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:40 am

Haha, lucky!
I've never taken a road trip in my life and although I've traveled to the far ends of the country I've never seen the middle of it. Driving it will be a rite of passage in of itself and a major part of the trip, I'm pumped!
Guilty of being a 2011 Virgin BM Noob.
All wisdom and advice voraciously accepted :D
~I'm here to live life, all are welcome~

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:29 am

As a child, I loved the car trips when Dad was stationed across the country. The way the landscape transforms from one region to another, the changes in house styles and trees and gardens and barns. These days the towns are more and more the same strip mall crappola, but when I was little I noticed things like pancakes, flapjacks and griddle cakes all being the same thing.

The American West is magnificent.

CLARKcon
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: COFFEE CAMP

Post by CLARKcon » Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:38 pm

Welcome JTowne :) The "journey" starts when ya pull out of the driveway (or plane lifts off in some cases :D)...take in the sights around you. As the desert goes, constant is the knowledge to/from your core....debate be told that the greatest discovery is "self-discovery"...if nothing at all, you'll get one hell of a suntan (Ha!) ~ Rock it...
☕ COFFEE CAMP :
"The Social Hub of the Uncivilized World"

.: 🔥)'(🔥 2020 // ...???... :.

TheWh33lz

Post by TheWh33lz » Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:57 pm

Hello, my name is Kyle and I'm from San Diego (currently living in temecula). This will be my first BM and am super excited as I have been wanting to go for many years while going to local events but never had the financial and time freedom in order to go, but that changed this year. Currently trying to make sure that I will be ready for the movement issues of the playa as my first priority. I use a wheelchair, and while I have done many a desert/high sierra/beach/etc trek, the playa seems to present all new challenges against mobility. I have spastic cerebral palsy but have full cognitive function and enough practice (27 years of living will help you figure out how to get around,lol). I'm working with Pink Heart and plan on camping in their offshoot camp while spending most of my time with them and Bat Country while at the playa. Definitely looking for any playa tips regarding wheelchair use as well as handcycles.
Welcome challenge, embrace difficulty, love all results.

gyre

Post by gyre » Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:41 pm

It depends on how much ground you want to cover.
If you don't have a chair or scooter that will do enough distance, you can get a disability permit for your vehicle and use it for large distances and then use the chair from where you're parked.
Larger vehicles are quite difficult to drive out there.
Many people in wheelchairs get golf carts or other mini-vehicles.
I have seen three wheel scooters go the distance out there though.

Additional lighting is advisable for the side of street vehicles.

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:58 pm

TheWh33lz wrote:Definitely looking for any playa tips regarding wheelchair use as well as handcycles.
I'm trying to collect whatever we come up with her. And it's also an advocacy thread--I can get that way sometimes. Feel free to add what you find to this. There's also a gentleman named POWERCHAIR on here who's very involved in the issues.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

juliek123

Post by juliek123 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:22 am

2011 virgin here. I'm in New Orleans, hope to get together with the New Orleans group over the next few months. My son and I are really excited about going to BRC. We're going to drive. We love the southwest.
"Fan her head!" the Red Queen anxiously interrupted. "She'll be feverish after so much thinking."

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:29 pm

Hola and Hello,
Last year was my first and I had a blast. I also went with 2 of my kids (20 &21) and we are going together again this year....cya on the playa

juliek123

Post by juliek123 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:52 pm

Last year was my first and I had a blast. I also went with 2 of my kids (20 &21) and we are going together again this year....cya on the playa
Nice to meet you. I thought I'd responded to your post already, but I don't see it, so here we go again!

My son is 27. Our last road trip was on his 21st birthday. We flew to Las Vegas, then rented a car and drove to the Grand Canyon, Navajo reservation (he's half Navajo), then back to Las Vegas. It was FABULOUS!
"Fan her head!" the Red Queen anxiously interrupted. "She'll be feverish after so much thinking."

brownbearhook

Post by brownbearhook » Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:36 pm

Im Andy the big brown bear from Santa clarita California! i play rugby, chess, and am upsessed with all types of music! from elvis presley to Pretty lights! this will be my first BM and i cannot WAITT!!!

MontanaPeaches

Post by MontanaPeaches » Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:35 pm

Hey y'all!

My name is Tara and 2011 will be my first Burn. I live in the tiny burg of West Yellowstone where I moved to a couple of years ago to live at and volunteer with the Buffalo Field Campaign. After 4 months of that I lived solo for 4 months in the Targhee National Forest. Right now I live in a tiny one-room cabin on the outskirts of town but am seriously considering living in the Forest again this summer.

I've been a bartender, baker and server in various capacities :wink: Before moving from Missoula to West I worked for the NWF and at a greenhouse/nursery. Besides the BFC I have volunteered for the Humane Society and the Sierra Club. I also spent several years following the Grateful Dead and JGB. For fun and to indulge my artistic side I like to fool around with seed beads and am fascinated with the macro feature on my camera. I'm just beginning to get into Poi, I hope in five months I'll be ready for fire!

I am soo looking forward to connecting with y'all and to being enthralled and amazed by the abundant creativity and talent you possess. I truly feel blessed to be able to share in this community. Thanks and cheers!

sputnik
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Ubercarney

Post by sputnik » Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:39 pm

Welcome MontanaPeaches! It's been far too many years since I set foot in West Yellowstone, beautiful country
It's going to be alright.

The Hustler
Burning Since: 2011

Re: Who? Me?

Post by The Hustler » Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:09 am

Blenderhead wrote:My name is Blenderhead. I am a BM virgin. My first 20x20 panel of camo netting arrived yesterday, and is currently resting comfortably on the floor of my office. When my coworkers go to lunch in 1 hour and 20 minutes, I'm going to camo their cubes. I'm sure they will appreciate this very much.
Maybe they won't be able to find their boxes. We're going to need pictures or video of that. If you can light something on fire, that would be nice also.
"I knew it was wrong, but I did it anyway."
Jesus fuckhole, what the fuck was that?
"Playa dust might be the cleanest, most corrosive filth you'll ever love," Savannah said.

Jiā yóu!

The Hustler

Post by The Hustler » Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:11 am

MontanaPeaches wrote:Hey y'all!

My name is Tara and 2011 will be my first Burn. I live in the tiny burg of West Yellowstone where I moved to a couple of years ago to live at and volunteer with the Buffalo Field Campaign. After 4 months of that I lived solo for 4 months in the Targhee National Forest. Right now I live in a tiny one-room cabin on the outskirts of town but am seriously considering living in the Forest again this summer.

I've been a bartender, baker and server in various capacities :wink: Before moving from Missoula to West I worked for the NWF and at a greenhouse/nursery. Besides the BFC I have volunteered for the Humane Society and the Sierra Club. I also spent several years following the Grateful Dead and JGB. For fun and to indulge my artistic side I like to fool around with seed beads and am fascinated with the macro feature on my camera. I'm just beginning to get into Poi, I hope in five months I'll be ready for fire!

I am soo looking forward to connecting with y'all and to being enthralled and amazed by the abundant creativity and talent you possess. I truly feel blessed to be able to share in this community. Thanks and cheers!
Welcome aboard :)

Living in the forest for a summer sounds pretty awesome.
"Playa dust might be the cleanest, most corrosive filth you'll ever love," Savannah said.

Jiā yóu!

The Hustler

Post by The Hustler » Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:13 am

juliek123 wrote:2011 virgin here. I'm in New Orleans, hope to get together with the New Orleans group over the next few months. My son and I are really excited about going to BRC. We're going to drive. We love the southwest.
I was in the Big Easy for New Year's Eve, it was good to be in a gritty, old city again. I need to return alone and with my bike some time soon.

Jiā yóu!

gyre

Re: Who? Me?

Post by gyre » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:40 am

Super Evil Brian wrote:
Blenderhead wrote:My name is Blenderhead. I am a BM virgin. My first 20x20 panel of camo netting arrived yesterday, and is currently resting comfortably on the floor of my office. When my coworkers go to lunch in 1 hour and 20 minutes, I'm going to camo their cubes. I'm sure they will appreciate this very much.
Maybe they won't be able to find their boxes. We're going to need pictures or video of that. If you can light something on fire, that would be nice also.
ImageImageImage

iowamedic

1st time in 2011!!

Post by iowamedic » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:52 am

Hey, This will be our first year going to Burning Man.. and by "our" I mean my wife and I (Evan & Lisa). I have known about BM for a few years now but havent seriously thought about it. After talking to a friend of mine and his experiences I decided that this is a MUST do this year. I work as a paramedic on the night shift and have been doing that for about 5 years now. Its time for a change! I am an amatuer phototgrapher on the side... and I mean amatuer!! I hope I can meet some fellow burners from Iowa!!

Evan

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021

Post by lucky420 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:39 am

Hola and Hello.........

particle

Post by particle » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:42 pm

Hello everyone! I'm a first timer from northern Finland. Been reading and posting in this forum for a while now, but I only recently finally got flight tickets and now it's guaranteed that I'll be participating! Really excited about everything and I can't wait until August. Most of my preparations are looking pretty good, only thing that's a bit uncertain is the trip from Reno to BRC. But I'm sure I'll figure it out.

Looking forward to offering people some Finnish black vodka that I'm sure they'll regret drinking immediately afterwards.

gyre

Post by gyre » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:24 pm

Welcome.

I've never been able to outdrink a Finn.

Rocket fuel is always welcome out there.

Lassen Forge
Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Post by Lassen Forge » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:32 pm

But it's darned fun trying... ;) (The black vodka sure sounds tempting!!!)

Welcome to the (e)Playa!!!

particle

Post by particle » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:42 pm

Thanks! :D I'll be sure to bring as much black vodka as the legal limits allow. I am a little worried about the thought of a playa hangover however...

TomServo
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Black Rock City Assholes Union Local 668

Post by TomServo » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:54 pm

particle wrote:Thanks! :D I'll be sure to bring as much black vodka as the legal limits allow. I am a little worried about the thought of a playa hangover however...
don't worry, their are med tents and bloody mary bars everywhere!
anything worth doing is worth overdoing..

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:01 pm

Oh dear, I'm such a sucker for the Finns. Pretty much based on Tove Jansen, the Leningrad Cowboys and Finntroll.

Oh well, I'm jsut another walking american cliche.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.

ygmir
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:56 pm

I spent some wonderful days in Rovaniemii (sp?).........

now, about that salty,black licorice vodka stuff............but I did loves me some Laka.

welcome.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

ygmir

Post by ygmir » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:56 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:Oh dear, I'm such a sucker for the Finns. Pretty much based on Tove Jansen, the Leningrad Cowboys and Finntroll.

Fishy:
have you read the "Kalevala"?
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:59 pm

ygmir wrote:
theCryptofishist wrote:Oh dear, I'm such a sucker for the Finns. Pretty much based on Tove Jansen, the Leningrad Cowboys and Finntroll.

Fishy:
No. Is it finnish? And incredibly cool? Or does it sell tents?
The Lady with a Lamprey

ygmir

Post by ygmir » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:04 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:
ygmir wrote:

Fishy:
No. Is it finnish? And incredibly cool? Or does it sell tents?
well, yes, its more precisely Karelian (sp?), interesting if you share my spirituality, for sure. But, a good story, none the less, if not a little "dry". Very much the mythology, regional.
and, the story of it's creation is really something, too.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:44 pm

Creation stories often are...
The Lady with a Lamprey

Return to “The Greeter's Station”