Hello and Welcome... What's your name? Tell me about You...

Start here - tell us about yourself and what brings you to ePlaya.
Ataki
Burning Since: 2014

Re: Hello and Welcome... What's your name? Tell me about You

Post by Ataki » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:32 am

Hello everyone, My name is Nathan, and I just found this site.. I've been to one burn, many years ago (2000) And while I haven't been able to make it back, My heart remains on the Playa. Looking forward to talking with everyone!
Praises be unto the blue wire, where forth all sarcasm may emit and to which may all sarcasm return... And though red wire be your brother in its eternal mockery, let us not forget that you two be different and unequal in your awesomeness.

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:07 am

[quote="EastcoastEd"...and employed as a fireman in Jacksonville.
I'm not an artist or a performer but would love to participate and share the gift of giving.[/quote]
If you are interested in gifting your firefighting skills, fill out the volunteer form and be sure to do the extra Department of Emergency Services form.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Durás Soleil

The Lesson Learned, Mindset Changed

Post by Durás Soleil » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:18 pm

I miss Burning Man, I really loved that Playa coat and insistent club beat to lull me to sleep *tear* yet at the same time I'm so happy because I know it continues whether one is on the Playa or no. Every town and city is a long-term camp, and I can discover who I am in these other places too. The buildings are art, the parks are art, people are beautiful no matter how they journey through life. Nothing prohibits you from exploration but yourself.
I will have to plan some things since I do live in society and attend school, but I can still maintain the mindset of timefreedom. Not counting the hours, but simply living in the moments and changing cycles and keeping track of time by events and things accomplished and learned.
Dear Universe, may I please find fellow "Burners" at my school and in my area, and you know I mean the exploration type of people, not just those with a ticket.

FatherFractal

Post by FatherFractal » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:12 pm

Hello - I have known about Burning Man for the past, well, 25 years and never took the time to learn anything about it. I am now 61 years old and have recently met a couple of amazing folks who went this year and have gone previous years. Immediately upon hearing them talk about BM I became excited- I followed what little I could see on the web feed all week, continually being drawn back for hours at a time to watch....what?? bicycles, dust, the COG, more bikes and, of course, the mind-bending burns. I had a chance to chat with burners and burner wannabes all week and realized I had missed a tremendous amount,. I am determined that 2012 is my year to go. In my so-called real life I drive a school bus for special needs kids. I have a wonderful relationship with a woman who is beginning to become as addicted to mentioning Burning Man in her conversations as I am. I live in Hillsboro, Oregon which is a beautiful part of the country. Now I will continue to dig through this website and try to get caught up. I appreciate being here. =)

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:24 pm

Welcome!

Your timing is perfect.

The time to start planning and aquiring the basics is now!

Buy your ticket on the 19 of january. 8)
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

Lacey

Post by Lacey » Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:22 pm

Hello. My name is Lacey. 2011 was my first year at Burning Man. I am in love and will be back next year and for many years to come. I live a happy, simple life in Santa Cruz, CA.
My favorite thing about Burning Man is the brilliant and inspiring people I met there. And the Temple.
I love you guys. Thank you all.
Lacey

Savannah
Burning Since: 2023

Post by Savannah » Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:44 pm

A sleepy but cheerful hello to Father Fractal, Lacey, Marrett, Durás Soleil, Milayna, Brande, EastCoastEd, Nathan, Johnny GreenEyes, Debus, Antoine, the list goes on . . . I haven't even unpacked my stuff yet, or I'd strive to be more individual. Pardon my dust. :D

The Open Discussion and Experiences at Burning Man threads are particularly lively right now if you're looking for stories. Don't be surprised if people are spacey, grumpy, tired, exhilarated, a little crazy . . . stick around. Watch out for snarks. Welcome. :)

ranger magnum
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: Outpost Tokyo

Post by ranger magnum » Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:53 pm

ranger magnum here. been rangering 2 years, burning 11. i come to the burningman website alot, but never really into eplaya. i have some lost and found stuff to post up, so i registered here!
Praise the Lowered

Savannah

Post by Savannah » Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:11 pm

Hi Ranger Magnum! There will be a Lost & Found forum very soon hopefully, courtesy of one of the Administrators.

Ataki
Burning Since: 2014

Post by Ataki » Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:38 pm

Thank you for the warm welcome, Savannah, and Hello!
Praises be unto the blue wire, where forth all sarcasm may emit and to which may all sarcasm return... And though red wire be your brother in its eternal mockery, let us not forget that you two be different and unequal in your awesomeness.

Formerly Consequence

Post by Formerly Consequence » Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:54 pm

Hello everyone. My name is Rachel, but my playa name was Consequence. However, I left that name there. This year was my first burn and I loved it sooo so much. I haven't felt like any place was home for a very long time, but Burning Man is definitely that place for me now. I'm from the Bay Area and am currently having trouble adjusting back to living here in what I called the "outside world". I'm on eplaya hoping to find some good ways to cope with being in this world and also some ideas to help me prepare for next year's burn.

Savannah

Post by Savannah » Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:01 pm

Hey Rachel. Since you're in the Bay area, you're well set up for Burn Decompression events. These will help you meet others, & adjust a bit to being back in the default world. It's normal to have a bit of turmoil when you come back.

http://www.burningman.com/blackrockcity ... m2011.html

Here are some regional events for California (found via Main Site --> Regionals --> U.S. --> California)
http://regionals.burningman.com/us_ca.html

Rockstar Dicky

Post by Rockstar Dicky » Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:33 pm

Hello, I am Dicky (the username Dicky was already taken so I added Rockstar to the front because I'm a total rockstar! ;). 2011 was my first burn, and it was so amazing! Truly life changing! I am from Idaho, and my camp name was Farmopolis, at 5:15 and D. I was fortunate enough to be a part of a camp of veteran burners who have been burning for years, so I learned the ropes very quickly. I'm hoping I can try to connect with some people that I met on playa that were really wonderful people. Hmm, other things about me... I love fur, I love bright lights, I like things that glitter and sparkle, favorite colors and pink and lime green :). I also loooove fire! I spin poi, do fire levi-stick, and fire fans. I'm in the process of learning to breathe fire... we'll see how that goes! I love being involved in my community and helping out in any way I can. We have a program for our "scene" here in Idaho called the REF program, which is modeled after the BRC Rangers, that I am very involved in. I hope to be able to do a mentor shift and become a BRC Ranger at next year's burn. I think it would be really cool to somehow get involved with the DPW and help out, those guys and gals are total bad asses! Hmm I guess that's pretty much it for now...
DiCkY =]

deutlich
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Thumper

Post by deutlich » Sun Sep 11, 2011 3:58 pm

Hi everyone! I'm Deutlich. I'm half American, half German (that's me over in my avatar). I live in DC and am a total burning man virgin. Like Milayna, I've been intrigued with BM for a while and I've finally just decided to be there in 2012. I turn 30 in December and I think it'd be fitting to be a first-time burner at 30. Looking back, I doubt I would've handled myself well had I gone five or six years ago...

I've got a few friends who are interested in going next year, but planning with people this far out is hard as hell. I'm going regardless and am super excited to start planning so early (saving money takes time!)

Hope y'all are all having a great weekend and those of you who just came back are decompressing well!

Savannah

Post by Savannah » Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:06 pm

Hi Dicky! Hi Deutlich!

P.Ram

Post by P.Ram » Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:34 pm

Hi all, P.Ram here. I had a fantastic time at the burn and have been enjoying reading the recaps here on ePlaya. This was my 2nd burn but I kinda felt like a Burgin in some ways. The last BM I attended was 15 years ago, and 2011 was also my first sober burn… so this year was a whole different kind of trip.

I'll try not to bore y'all with any "back in the day" crap.
There is no they. There is only whee!

deutlich
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Thumper

Post by deutlich » Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:58 pm

Hi P.Ram! Those "back in the old day" stories are awesome! Bring 'em on!

TheDena

Post by TheDena » Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:08 pm

I am Dena, AKA The Dena, AKA denalynn2001. I'm a wirgin, but my spouse attended for the first time in 2011, and now I've got the bug. I've decided 2012 is my year, and I'm bound and determined to make it happen.

I'm a 52-year-old breast cancer survivor and mother of an 11-year-old, and I attended Lakes of Fire in 2009 and 2010. I am possibly the worst camper in the world, so it's a major undertaking to condition myself for Burning Man. For me this is no rave party, nosirree. This will totally be an Outward Bound experience for me, and that's why I think now is the time to do it.

I want to see what I'm really made of, but something tells me if I can survive cancer, I can survive a week in Black Rock City.

Savannah

Post by Savannah » Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:25 pm

Hey Dena!

Indeed, if you can survive cancer, signs point to "yes"--you can survive Black Rock City. Especially emotionally. You will (probably) have resilience and presence of mind during an 8-hour duststorm that only well-seasoned burners and military veterans can match. :) Pff--you'll know that there's no way in @#$%ing hell is a storm the worst thing that has ever happened to you. Cocktails or dust-dancing may therefore result. But don't let me pigeonhole you . . .

Starting now is super smart. (I would not say I was the best camper in the world when I began, either. Attitude and adaptability count for a lot.)

Welcome to the board. :)

TheDena

Post by TheDena » Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:51 pm

Thanks Savannah, I am super-psyched to be here!

I think it is very much to my benefit that I got to watch my spouse go through his BM experience first. I started to get a much better sense of the infrastructure both inside and around the event, learned some things that worked (and some that didn't, like new shoes and no electrolytes), and I'll have the benefit of some of the supplies he bought.

forty_eight
Burning Since: 2013

Post by forty_eight » Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:39 pm

pretty much the ustream broadcast hit it home ... just seeing the temple the first time, i was taken aback and absolutely certain that this all must be experienced firsthand.

all of the other installations affirming and cementing the sentiment. actually, the art itself really took me. i guess i didn't realize it was that 'serious'. well, whatever it is, it's fantastic and i can't wait to witness and experience it all!

stoked to share and participate in black rock city in 2012

see you around!

user0913

Post by user0913 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:59 pm

Hello all :-). My name is Anjre, first time burner this year...I was part of the Sustainable Sound camp @ 3:30 & A. Having just returned to CT, I'm still basking in the afterglow of Burning Man...totally waiting for something breathing fire to come rolling down the street. *le sigh* I've known about Burning Man for a while now, but never ventured to go until a couple friends went and threatened me with a mighty beating if I were to miss this year; in hindsight, I'm glad they did, for I would have missed one of the most eye-opening funderful experiences of my life. Met so many cool people, with whom I hope to reconnect...having Capoeiristas to jam with at center camp was quite awesome, and I look forward to playing in more rodas in the future. My first, def not my last. The playa is officially part of me now...it won't come out of my hair. If nothing else, i came to play capoeira, possibly find a playa girlfriend/playmate and leave a better person. Two out of three ain't bad...playmates will have to wait till next year.

Ps: thanks to the people from Cwality, especially the surfer girl who gave me the dogtag, Izzy who made me a delicious concoction and the Techno Badger for being awesome on the decks with weird original dub. See y'all next year!

Savannah

Post by Savannah » Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:05 pm

Hi Anjre! Glad you had a great first burn.

Welcome to the board, 48_Love! Check out the main Burning Man website for "First Timer's Guide" (which include the 10 Principles of the event) and "Preparation" links. Read the 2011 Survival Guide linked under "Preparation". It's easiest when printed in pdf form. A few pages in, there's the beginning of a packing list you can appropriate for your own before adding to it. After you've done the basic reading--and sound like it--us crusty old Burners are (usually) a pretty good resource . . . when we're not snarking!

Most important will be to get your ticket, though--in January, or during pre-holiday sales.

Skarlett_One

Post by Skarlett_One » Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:23 pm

Greetings and Fellicitations!

I'm called Skarlett. I haven't been to a burn yet, but am starting to prepare for the 2013 Burn. I was going to go to the 2012, but realized I wouldn't have been prepared enough with only one year to get ready. I've been talking to my mom, & she's thinking of joining me as well.

I have quite a few friends who are Burners, so am lucky enough to get tips from them about what I need and what I don't. I also figured connecting with Burners from elsewhere would be a good idea.

So, hello & I hope to learn more from you all! :)

illy dilly
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Post by illy dilly » Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:30 pm

Skarlett, welcome to eplaya!
You don't figure that over 300 days is enough time to get prepared?
If I were you I'd give it a shot, if you conquered one obstacle or issue each day between now and then, or maybe even just two a weekend, you'd probably be way more prepared than some of the folks out there!
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave

TheDena

Post by TheDena » Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:22 pm

I think a year is enough time to get ready in most cases, but some people need more time to save enough money to do it the way they want to. It just happens that I was thinking vaguely of a trip to Las Vegas early next year, but then decided Burning Man would be much better. It's a bigger investment, but this gives me a bit more time to work with and I can stagger my purchases.

Honestly, I'm ready to start making lists and putting things in boxes. When I do something, I go all out.

softeyes

Post by softeyes » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:49 pm

Hi I'm Lloyd. My wife and I live in the Seattle Suburbs and have two cats. We thoroughly enjoyed our burn this year and look forward to seeing all you wonderful folk at next years burn.

Savannah

Post by Savannah » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:51 pm

Hi Skarlett!

Hi Lloyd!

Welcome to the Board. :)

nolaflamingo
Burning Since: 2012

Post by nolaflamingo » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:22 am

Hello all,
introducing myself I am NolaFlamingo, live in westcoast of Florida. I have been reading everything on this forum for the last few months.. Yup, I am going to make my first trip to BRC in 2012.. I started making costumes, yes i am going to be there...
"If it's Tacky, it's for me!"

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Brainy Bar

Post by trilobyte » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:55 am

Wow, lots of new folks popping in and saying hi - welcome to ePlaya! Come on in, take a look around, and see what kind of awesomeness/craziness/silliness you're getting yourself into :) Aside from all the useful information tucked into the various sections of the site, I hope you'll find this to be a great community. If you've got a question or need help with some part of planning your adventure and don't see it discussed someplace... ask away. Good luck, and hope to see you out there next year (even if right now you think you won't be ready to go until 2013 :wink: ).

Return to “The Greeter's Station”