Hello and Welcome... What's your name? Tell me about You...

Start here - tell us about yourself and what brings you to ePlaya.
autumnholly

Re: Hello and Welcome... What's your name? Tell me about You

Post by autumnholly » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:06 pm

you guys are all seriously awesome. i cant wait to experience the playa, too bad its months away! haha, thanks for all the advice. :)

Dr. Pyro
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Post by Dr. Pyro » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:21 pm

Autumnholly, when do you turn 21? If it's before August 27, be sure to drop by Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro for a glass of our finest vintage.

autumnholly

Post by autumnholly » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:31 pm

ill defintely stop by. i want to experience everything the playa has to offer :)

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:33 pm

Dr. Pyro wrote:Autumnholly, when do you turn 21? If it's before August 27, be sure to drop by Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro for a glass of our finest vintage.

WARNING, WARNING

YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Kontradiction

Post by Kontradiction » Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:04 pm

Welcome welcome Autumn!
'I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I'm all out of bubblegum'

"Rowdy" Roddy Piper, They Live

Kickass Cook, Bitchin' Mixologist, Good Friend, Constant Student of Life, Experienced Kinkster-

Pezburn

Post by Pezburn » Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:51 pm

Hello all!

This is my first post on ePlaya, and my first burn was this year. I went with my father which was an adventure for both of us. I am in my late twenties and my father is in his sixties.

We were so blessed to have amazing neighbors Luna and Wally to give us some guidance.

If it wasn't the most expensive trip I had ever taken in my life I would plan to come back every year, I just don't think it is financially possible. So I wanted to join this community to soak up as much wonderfulness as I can until the day I can make it back to the playa!

So in short, Hi everyone!!

Pezburn

Elliot
Burning Since: 2006

Post by Elliot » Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:10 pm

Welcome, Pezburn! How far did you have to travel, that made it so expensive?

Savannah
Burning Since: 2023

Post by Savannah » Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:50 pm

Hi Pezburn! How wonderful that you attended with your Dad. :)

Pezburn

Post by Pezburn » Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:29 pm

Elliot wrote:Welcome, Pezburn! How far did you have to travel, that made it so expensive?
Elliot,

We live in Minnesota so we flew to Reno and then bought the things we couldn't pack (food, chairs, misc supplies) and spent a night in Reno on either side of the burn.

Also, because my dad's back couldn't handle a tent we rented an RV which was wonderful, but very expensive. We also rented a car, since the RV was already on the playa. That is how we did it as newbies. As a young person paying off student loans and living on a tight budget, it was a stretch for me.

I am sure there are ways to do it more cheaply, and I am happy to learn. If I could find a way to be there every year I would!

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Brainy Bar

Post by trilobyte » Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:13 pm

Welcome to ePlaya. I hear you on the expense, it can pauper you even if you're not in an RV or coming a great distance.

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:46 pm

Maybe a good cot and a storage space...
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Sham

Post by Sham » Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:29 am

Welcome Marcia. Yes, you will find all sorts of great info here. I'm glad you found this forum. Make yourself at home and kick off your shoes.

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:58 am

Welcome all. Now go and start your own personal introduction thread so we can give you a more personal welcome and get to know you better.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

The Hustler
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by The Hustler » Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:54 am

Pezburn wrote:Hello all!

This is my first post on ePlaya, and my first burn was this year. I went with my father which was an adventure for both of us. I am in my late twenties and my father is in his sixties.

We were so blessed to have amazing neighbors Luna and Wally to give us some guidance.

If it wasn't the most expensive trip I had ever taken in my life I would plan to come back every year, I just don't think it is financially possible. So I wanted to join this community to soak up as much wonderfulness as I can until the day I can make it back to the playa!

So in short, Hi everyone!!

Pezburn
Hiya Pez, welcome!

If you watch videos, look at photos, read ePlaya and all sorts of other Internet goodness maybe you can keep that odd, dusty memory alive.

This was my first year and was a total financial stretch. I plan to go next year, which will also be a stretch. If neither of us can ever go again, at least we got to go on a very good year.
"I knew it was wrong, but I did it anyway."
Jesus fuckhole, what the fuck was that?
"Playa dust might be the cleanest, most corrosive filth you'll ever love," Savannah said.

Jiā yóu!

The Hustler

Post by The Hustler » Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:56 am

M_FULL_OF_GRACE wrote:Salutations!

My name is Melodie and I am new to ePlaya! Burning Man 2011 was my first time and I cannot wait to go back Home in 2012; maybe I will even see some of you there! Who knows, right?

Hi Melodie. Yea, who knows?

You may even pass one of us on the street. Hopefully our paths will cross on the playa in 2012.
"Playa dust might be the cleanest, most corrosive filth you'll ever love," Savannah said.

Jiā yóu!

The Hustler

Post by The Hustler » Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:58 am

pandorra wrote:hi! i'm pandorra, aka pani ... been lurking on these boards for a few years and decided it was time to pop my head up and say "hi!". i'm a long-time burner -- 1996 was my first year with a few off-and-on since then, 2011 was my 8th burn. :D

i have done lots of creative projects for the playa through the years ... including costuming, theme camps, an art car, and large-scale interactive art. it's all great fun, and look forward to creating even more fun stuff in 2012! i'll try to add my 2¢ where i can. i love helping people out with creative challenges.

anyhoo, good to meet you all!

*pani*
Hey Pani, welcome! There is all sorts of information (some of it may even be accurate or useful) and wonderfully useless filler in ePlaya, enjoy.

Jiā yóu!

The Hustler

Post by The Hustler » Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:02 am

autumnholly wrote:hello everyone. my name is autumn. im from vegas and ive never been to burning man. i just discovered this amazing event while attend Nocturnal 2011 and ever since i googled 'burning man' and few weeks ago, i cannot get it off my mind. the whole mentality of burning man and everything it stands for resignates so well with me. in vegas its hard to find anyone who can relate with the way i want to live and my thoughts and views of the world and i just know the whole burning man community would welcome me. i am so bummed that i missed burning man 2011 but now all i can think about is burning man 2012, i have even been dreaming about it. ive spent countless hours reading blogs and looking at pictures and watching videos on the event. everytime i watch a youtube video of the event i get butterflies in my stomach, even now typing this i have butterflies in hopes that i can gain new friends who all share the same BM mentality. im so happy to have found this and i hope to connect with you all

Hi Autumn

Its strange how much it digs under your skin and finds its way into your daily life. What other week anywhere can do that?

There is so much information, so many photos, videos and multi-media of the playa out there. The people who post here have links to photos and other cool shit, I as well have photos and a blog post (more to come!) to share. There are some useful Twitter feeds and stuff on Facebook in addition to the main website. Also, I think all or most of the posters here will be glad to share everything they know and a lot they don't.

Feel free to contact me if you want. I'm sometimes sort of nice.

See you on the Playa!

Jiā yóu!

autumnholly

Post by autumnholly » Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:38 pm

hi brian! and yes its insane how i havent even attended BM yet im addicted to it. and i just checked out your website, its pretty badass. you seem to live an awefully adventurous life. cant wait to meet you on the playa! 308 days left!

sea.kisses

Post by sea.kisses » Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:50 pm

Hey there. My name is Adrienne. I live in Washington (state), I am 21 yr old mother to a soon to be one year old. Burning Man has fascinated me since I heard about it and is on my bucket list. I would love to go in either 2012 or 2013, depending on finances. The whole idea of BM is burned in my brain.

Could someone tell me the price of a ticket?

Sham

Post by Sham » Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:51 am

The cost of tickets for 2012 have not been announced yet. I would budget $250-$300 for the ticket and another $1000 or so for your camp infrastructure, food and supplies. In addition, you will need to figure on some sort of transportation to and from the playa.

Welcome to this forum. Tell a bit more about yourself and where you're from.

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Brainy Bar

Post by trilobyte » Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:54 am

Welcome to ePlaya!

Ticket prices for 2012 haven't been announced yet, though tickets for the 2011 event ranged from $210 to over $350. Make sure you've signed up to the Jack Rabbit Speaks newsletter for more info on ticket pricing and availability as it becomes available.

Elgin30

Post by Elgin30 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:32 pm

Hey hi, I am a newbie to this forum. Have witnessed some really nice and very interesting threads here..was actually about to post my comment there but then thought why not to introduce myself first.
Hope will have a nice time here
Nice Reviews Of Lace Wedding Dresses & iPhone

illy dilly
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Post by illy dilly » Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:10 pm

Elgin30 wrote:Hey hi, I am a newbie to this forum. Have witnessed some really nice and very interesting threads here..was actually about to post my comment there but then thought why not to introduce myself first.
Hope will have a nice time here
Welcome to eplaya Elgin!

Its great to hear that even after reading some of the crazyness on here you're still down to join!
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave

flyyylikepaper

Post by flyyylikepaper » Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:45 pm

Hellllooooo! My name is Cheako :)
Ive followed this site for a quite a bit and never registered so i finally did haha.
I have never been to Burning Man and am attending next year :D i couldnt be more excited!

This site is for any sort of discussion involving Burning Man right?
Like i can ask any questions that would help me have a terrific burn next year?
-she took a leap and built her wings on the way down.

Savannah

Post by Savannah » Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:07 pm

Hi flyyylikepaper!

Yes, you may ask questions on this board. Things that will make your question-asking experience on eplaya a more pleasant one:

* Read the Survival Guide (print the pdf, if you can) before you start asking questions. It's the minimum required reading for survival out there.
http://www.burningman.com/preparation/e ... index.html
* Browse the ePlaya forums and read up a bit. We love unusual questions, & admire people who have clearly read as much as they can--thus demonstrating the Radical Self-Reliance that's one of the 10 Principles of the event.
* Ask nicely. We're just burners--passionate hobbyists--as opposed to, say, customer service.
* Keep it legal. Occasionally people ask us bizarre questions about how to skirt the law. But that's rare. -Ish.

Welcome to the board. :)

flyyylikepaper

Post by flyyylikepaper » Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:28 pm

Thank you! :D I have read the survival guide and frequently refer back to it. Ive stuffed my brian with literature on the Playa and fully understand the self-reliance the comes with the event. What are the other 9 principals though? :)

And thank you for the kind welcome :)

Savannah

Post by Savannah » Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:35 pm

They're on the main site, you naughty thing! :twisted: See burningman.com, then "First Timer's Guide" (small print) near the top. Click on that. Inside, 2nd link down. 10 Principles.

If you read that, you are ahead of many a virgin. Do eet.

Dooooo eet.

forty_eight
Burning Since: 2013

Post by forty_eight » Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:55 pm

For some reason, it took me some time to find the 10 Principles on the main site. Those ^ directions are good ones!

At one point, I was happy with the native ePlaya phBB search tool, but here is the syntax for using Google to find old threads on important stuff:

site:eplaya.burningman.org AND keyword (thanks to one of the bobs, I think?)

Anyone who's spent any time on a forum knows that asking a trite question is flame worthy. The snark here is epic but not in as bloodthirsty as it maybe seemed or seems at first. But, most questions have been asked so Google searches using the syntax above will save you some potential posting pain.

Welcome all and enjoy ... I know I have been! (I'm also an aspiring 2012 virgin)

flyyylikepaper

Post by flyyylikepaper » Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:00 pm

Ooohhh i see. Thank you haha.

Jenifersteppat
Burning Since: 2012

Post by Jenifersteppat » Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:13 pm

Im Coco from Oregon and excited about 2012!
No matter where you go, there you are.

Return to “The Greeter's Station”