Hello and Welcome... What's your name? Tell me about You...

Start here - tell us about yourself and what brings you to ePlaya.
MorninStar

Re: Hello and Welcome... What's your name? Tell me about You

Postby MorninStar » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:52 pm

Hello all!

My name is Danica and this will be my maiden journey to my virigin burn. Theough out the last six or so years I have read about burning man, had many a friend attend and tried to rally up troops to finally join me. This year my wife and I moved to the city (San Francisco) and became bombarded with reminders of just how important going to burning man has been for us. We figured if we could leave our life's behind to truck across state and start our new life in a new city then this would be the year we wouldn't let anything stand in the way of our burn. I think having waited so long and dreamt so grandly of the playa I know in my heart it will be a beacon for self expression spirituality love music and just some good not too old fashioned fun. It will be my home for a week that lives forever in my heart.

So now I'm submerging myself in all the burnertivities in dire anticipation for what will be my first burn.

To your wishes!

Vladar

Postby Vladar » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:01 pm

My name is Dean and My Wife (Tuilli) and I will be making our voyage from MN out to Burning man this year if our ticket plans fallow through. We are planning on building our own Hexayurt and hopefully joining a theme camp with some fellow yogies.

My wife is a Yoga Instructor (in training) and a Student Midwife. We have had both of our children at home, unassisted.
I work for Activision in the Quality Assurance department.

Great to be here, and i am going to be looking at all these "beginner guides" on here to get caught up.

Huck

Postby Huck » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:50 am

Hi all, my name is Huck, i'm from Connecticut. last year was my first burn, i went with 2 great friends from Seattle. Planning/prep was relatively easy for me as we rented and RV and drove down, my friends were able to gather a lot of supplies locally (bike, coolers, equipment, etc) for me. I really figured last year would be my first and last time, it was kind of a 40th bday thing for the 3 of us. needless to say as soon as it was over, I knew I had to go back. This year I'm bringing my wife, just the 2 of us, we are flying from CT to Reno, so the logistics and planning are considerably more complex than last year. I was lurking around eplaya last year and got tons of great tips and info. This year I figured i'd better join in the conversation as I've got a ton more questions... my head is alreay spinning

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Postby Savannah » Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:54 pm

Welcome to ePlaya, Dawn/NotInUse! I don't know if there is a specific "Bend your rebar" camp yet. Maybe that means it's you. :) Check your local Cali groups for "Stitch & Bitch" sessions, if you haven't signed up for their email lists yet:
http://regionals.burningman.com/us_ca.html

Hi Danica! You might like that link too. :)

Hi Dean & Tuilli! I trust you've seen the hexayurt thread? I would totally go the hexayurt route if I had the right transportation for it.
viewtopic.php?f=277&t=26890

Hi Huck! Here's a thread you might like on Costs & Logistics of Flying to Reno:
viewtopic.php?f=286&t=52826&start=0
*** 2016 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

Velvetchrist

Postby Velvetchrist » Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:24 am

Hi!

My name is Mike, I live in central Arkansas with a very close nit group of family and friends. Even though I have moved away from ark several times over there is somthing here that keeps bringing me back! I am a musician, I have been in several bands since I was in high school and can honestly say it has made me the person I am today. I have recently grown very found of the glass art medium and I'll will prolly be taking some classes during the summer art ended for me after years in school but has never really left me! I first heard about the playa when I started spinning poi, and needless to say I needed to join this family. I have been spinning now for two years when I have spare time and cannot wait to do so on the playa with fellow spinners. For two years now I have been dreaming o making the journey out to Nevada and this year I hope this will all come true. I missed the lotto unfortuanly which literally puts this virgin burner no where on any list that has a chance to get a ticket :-/ latley I have been connecting with some of our regional burners in Memphis and Ark so maybe with luck someone near me won't put there to let up on step and will allow me to take their place HIGH HOPES! But I'm still looking if anyone knows of anyone thatcher be able to help me out I would be for we in your debt. I assembled my first pair of stilts about a year ago now and seeing pictures from past events I hope I can share a drink with some of you at the stilt bar, cruise in the sands on pirate ship, and sight see every piece of art installation that has been created for this wonderful event!

With love,
Mike

Tuullii

Postby Tuullii » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:23 am

Hi Everyone! I'm Tuullii, from Saint Paul, Mn - Vladar up there ^ is my hubby. :)

I've been dreaming of coming to BM since 2003 when I happened to drive through Nevada during Burning Man on my way to CA.

In April I'll graduate as a yoga instructor, which I'm really excited about! Beyond that I've been studying and apprenticing (think unpaid internship where I do all the work :lol: ) home birth midwifery since 2006. (I would love to find a theme camp where either of those are skills are of use)

I have two kids who will be staying at home while we go to BRC (the first time they'll be away from Mom for more than a day!), and I'm VERY excited to meet you all out on the playa!

catinthefunnyhat

Postby catinthefunnyhat » Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:42 pm

Hi!

I'm cath, aka cat, from Toronto. I really do wear funny hats in my "regular" life, when I'm feeling saucy (which, sadly, is not often enough).

I've burned once, in 2000. This year, I'm hoping to burn again -- so I'm not a birgin, but I still :oops: . Like many here, I'm in the STEP line, fingers crossed, waiting to see if the playa will have me this year. If things go the way I hope they will go, I'll be coming home to it with a mixed group of fellow burners -- a mix of virgins, veterans, and in-betweens. I know that if I get there, it will be a very different place than what I remember, but I trust that the spirit will be the same.

There is talk in my group of potential fellow travelers of joining a theme camp to share the work and joy of Burning Man. Nothing is settled yet. For now, I'm mostly lurking on the forums, learning what I can, soaking up the excitement and anxiety, and whetting my appetite for the joy and dust and sweat and struggle of the playa.

Peace and love to you all.
If you want drama to stop following you everywhere, try letting go of the leash.

Savannah

Postby Savannah » Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:11 pm

Hi Mike! Continue to network and make sure all your friends know you're looking for a ticket. You might run into an extra physical ticket or be able to buy a Will Call ticket and have the name transferred into yours.

STEP tickets are different & cannot be reassigned to a new name--but you can travel with someone who got 2 of 'em that way and enter the Burn with them, or--if you arrive separately--they can pick up their own ticket, and reassign a second ticket into your name.

Anyway--make your lists and get your time off, 'cause 'round about June when the price of gas goes up or people start new jobs, plans do change and you can be ready to take the leap. Good luck. :)

Hi Tuullii! Check 2012 Theme Camps for camps seeking yoga instructors. You can also invent your own camp of two and hang out a sign, go to a public place and lead an impromptu session, or invite the neighbors over.
viewforum.php?f=283

Hi Catinthefunnyhat! It will indeed be a different place . . . 2000 was my first year, too! There's now more than twice the number of people you're used to. It's also brighter and shinier and louder. Even more art. Broader range of music. Luckily, I still love it. I hope you will too.

Dr. Pyro
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby Dr. Pyro » Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:12 pm

Yo catinthefunnyhat, let me just say, unlike 2000, it does not rain every day on the playa and the daytime temps can get above, oh I don't know, 80. If that was your only year, and you're planning your trip around that, might I respectfully suggest you plan for much hotter weather and a lot less rain. That was the most unrepresentative year in playa history. 2011 was just the opposite: No rain, no major dust storms, every day a gift from whomever your higher being might be. . My friend Frank says anybody who went to the playa in 2011 has never been to Burning Man; the same can be said for 2000. Polar opposites. But no matter, welcome home and enjoy!

catinthefunnyhat

Postby catinthefunnyhat » Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:05 am

Thanks, Dr. P! I must say, I'm looking forward to some proper, HOT playa weather. 2000 was definitely a test of bad-weather survival skills. :D
If you want drama to stop following you everywhere, try letting go of the leash.

Velvetchrist

Postby Velvetchrist » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:57 am

Thank you savannah! I didn't even thin about being able to go with someone who got tickets in STEP! You just put a ray of sunshine in my day! :-)

nol

Postby nol » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:50 pm

Well hello there to all of you.

Nol is the name. 3 year Playa vet.

I've been an anonymous observer to this forum for a good two years....E-Playa etiquette is different from Playa etiquette right?!?!?!?

In Defaultia I get paid to have an opinion, and as such I have very much appreciated the opportunity to watch the soap opera that is e-playa from the sidelines.

It's become a daily ritual.....Visit my favourite threads....Reads like a great book.....Feel like I know some of you like my back pocket...An account was made a while back, but I never felt compelled to post...But alas, something changed today.

Henceforth, the post was placed, after which I hurried to this thread so I could do the polite thing and say hi.

Greetings!!!!!!

Dr. Pyro

Postby Dr. Pyro » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:02 pm

You get paid to have opinions? You spell "favorite" favourite. That makes you either a spineless Canuck, an ignorant person from Wisconsin, or a useless European who thanks God to the alter of all that is right with the world that red-blooded God-fearing flag-waving 'Mericans came to your rescue. Or maybe I have been watching too many Ron Paul ads. Either way, welcome. Comrade.

nol

Postby nol » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:15 pm

Dr Pyro,
How does "all of the above" rate?
European, migrated to Canuck country 14 years ago, I happen to like cheese a lot.
Holy trinity in my book!

Dr. Pyro

Postby Dr. Pyro » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:23 pm

Contact the border guards!!! We must protect the motherland. Or something.

Savannah

Postby Savannah » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:21 pm

Hi Nol! :D

(s)Miles

Postby (s)Miles » Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:03 pm

Hello ePlayans!

Just thought I'd drop a quick introduction here. My name is sMiles. Since 2007 I have been with a theme camp called Ambivert's. Last year we were at 2:30 and A, across from the Petting Zoo, and we had a drive-thru confessional. If you saw a possibly inebriated man in a tiger suit and papal regalia taking confessions and ordering shots for penance, then you've probably seen me in action. Before 2010, we were located on the 10:00 side. Our biggest year was probably 2008 when we ran Ambivert's Wild West Saloon and we had a working shooting gallery. This year almost no one got tickets, so some of us have merged with a couple other theme camps to create a new camp called Robot Factory, where we plan to turn organic-based burner lifeforms into glorious mechanical sex toys, er, I mean robots.

Anyway, I hope to see some of you on the playa this year. Please come by the Robot Factory for an oil change and say hi!

sMiles

Sail Man
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

Postby Sail Man » Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:05 pm

Hi! :P
Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact

Savannah

Postby Savannah » Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:28 pm

Hi sMiles! :mrgreen:

snadfra_kaye

Postby snadfra_kaye » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:30 pm

Hello!

I'm totally new to the boards and will be a virgin burner from Omaha, NE - traveling with some AMAZING seasoned vets (thankfully) - one if which is my bf of nearly 6 years who went in 2010.

I'm SOooo looking forward to meeting some amazing people, taking in incredible sights and sounds and just LIVING - totally free.

about me: I'm a mixed bag when it comes to things that make me smile. I suppose if I had to sum up "Me" in a few words they'd be: *disclaimer: like some..i'm still kinda figuring this part out. so to be continued. :wink:

colorful
big KID
thrives on the HumanConnection
artsy fartsy
sassy-ass
vegetarian (who hates vegetables)
human/animal rights
love love love
closet hippie
chicken shit
brave girl
who occasionally talks to *and hears from* the dead.

yep. a walking contradiction. did i mention gemini? that might explain things. no - we're not insane. we are just Sensitives. :)

anywhoo...

I can't wait to challenge mySelf - mind/body/spirit on the Playa this summer.

I have been reading and taking notes from my Burner friends and will keep doing so!

nice to "meet" you all!
xox

Snadfra_Kaye

Savannah

Postby Savannah » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:51 pm

Hi Snadfra_Kaye! Fellow sensitive dork Gemini here. I talk to the dead, but they never take my calls. :D Welcome to the board.

ElmoSF

Postby ElmoSF » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:19 pm

Hi all!

I was de-virginated at Rites of Passage last year, and had such a great time that I'm forming my own acoustic music Theme Camp this year. It'll be small, it'll be a start, but stay tuned as I turn to ePlaya to recruit newcomers. Tickets have been a struggle, but I'm pushing on and hope to bring good things to life in 2012. - Elmo

Savannah

Postby Savannah » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:00 pm

Hi Elmo! :D I hope your ticket works out. Broadcasting the fact that you're looking (as you're doing) to friends and co-workers is wise, and networking with regional groups can't hurt:

http://regionals.burningman.com/

Annfan

Postby Annfan » Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:19 pm

Hi, my name is Ann. I live in Redondo Beach, and love it. I have no ticket yet, but I am in the que. I am still planning, researching topics and ideas. I feel that even if I don't get a ticket I will have one kick ass armageddon kit. I look forward to meeting everyone. My favorite colors are grey and burn orange. I have two cats, and they do not get on counters or table tops. I have an american Fender Strat in burgandy that I cannot play. I smile too much. xoxox

Savannah

Postby Savannah » Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:23 am

Hi Annfan! The queue is a good place to be, and my fingers are crossed for you. Your attitude (that if worse comes to worse you have a kickass Armageddon kit) is a good one for a Burner to have.

I too have a Fender Strat I cannot play (pink). I was 18; what can I say? :D

Welcome to the board . . .

ultratang7
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Camp D.O.A.

Postby ultratang7 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:19 am

Hello all, this year will be second Burn. I posted here last year, but thought I'd take a minute to re-introduce myself. My name is Shawn, from Colorado. I'll be taking Amtrak to Reno, then (hopefully) find a ride share in. Last year I camped with some random dudes. This year, I will be a part of Camp D.O.A. and ( I think) we'll be at the G-spot (3 o'clock & G). Really happy to have gotten a ticket through Theme Camp Placement, therefore opening up 2 spots on STEP for the next people. :)
Did someone say Crisco-Twister???

misterdj

Postby misterdj » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:56 am

Hello everyone. My name is Enrique, I'm from New York City and this will be my second burn. Last year was my first time at BM and I was absolutely amazed at the time I had. From the people to the art, it was definitely a moment in life I will never forget. This year I promised myself to to bring my wife so she may experience it with me. I made sure she was frugal with her vacation days this year so that we can go for the whole week. I was lucky enough to get 2 tickets through STEP and I can't wait to experience BM with the one I love. I've also submitted requests this year to volunteer as I want to contribute and meet fellow burners.

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:25 am

ultratang7 wrote:I'll be taking Amtrak to Reno...

YOu might want to look out for Tattoogoddess, who'll be on Amtrak from Iowa.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Savannah

Postby Savannah » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:24 am

Hi Ultratang! Hi MisterDJ! Congratulations on your tickets. :D

xxTroyxx

Postby xxTroyxx » Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:32 pm

My Name is Troy from Houston Texas. This will be my first year attending BM in BRC. Been to satellite burns before, but this is me diving in! Me and my team received a Grant to bring an art project to the playa called Singularity Transmissions which consists of a 40ft transmission tower hooked up to 16 tin-can phones. Each phone gets recorded on its own track and piped into a listening chamber at the towers base. Check out our site http://www.singularitytransmissions.com
There are a million things to do, but i thought this would be a start because we want every theme camp, every art project, everyone to participate in our project and leave their legacy. We are doing this project for everyone! and i really want to see whats piping through the minds of the playa!

Return to “The Greeter's Station”