Hello and Welcome... What's your name? Tell me about You...

Start here - tell us about yourself and what brings you to ePlaya.
Yolo_Fairy
Burning Since: 2014

Re: Hello and Welcome... What's your name? Tell me about You

Post by Yolo_Fairy » Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:30 am

Thankyou heaps :) Maybe I'll see you there :D

BoyScoutGirl
Camp Name: Lamplighters!

Post by BoyScoutGirl » Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:04 am

Yolo_Fairy wrote:Maybe I'll see you there :D
If you come by Center Camp for lamplighting, I can almost guarantee it :)
When he lights his streetlamp, it is as if he brought one more star to life, or one flower.
When he puts out his lamp, he sends the flower, or the star, to sleep.
That is a beautiful occupation.

- Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Elliot
Burning Since: 2006

Post by Elliot » Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:47 am

Welcome Yolan! Hang around here and you will definitely meet people. You also want to read the First-Timer information on the web site, if you have not already. Specially the Survival Guide. And sign up for the Jack Rabbit Speaks e-newsletter.

Since you have some Gate experience, you may want to look into doing the same here. You couldn't do it the first year, but you could make contact. If, that is, you expect to do this every year.

Yolo_Fairy

Post by Yolo_Fairy » Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:26 pm

Thanks for the gate tip, I may do just that! I already know a few people who've done it before. I sort of fell into Gate Crew because it needed doing but I really love it and have always found that the people who volunteer on the gate at the regionals are the most legitimate wonderful people! Not that everyone involved in a Burn isn't haha.

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:49 pm

Yolo_Fairy wrote:Not that everyone involved in a Burn isn't haha.
Including the rapists and people who still play jr. high reindeer games.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Yolo_Fairy

Post by Yolo_Fairy » Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:20 pm

Doy. True. :/

Roundabout
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Playa Choir

Post by Roundabout » Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:45 am

Hello all. Last year was my first burn. I made a few posts last year under fgcastle, but ePlaya would not let me update my account to my playa name, so I started over with a new account. Thanks to ePlaya, I had a fabulous first burn. There is no way I would have been prepared except for all the resources on this forum! Thanks to all you who participate. :coffee:
Every aspect of life is education. Even if you don't immediately grasp the lesson. robbidobbs

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:56 am

You're welcome.

Are you coming back to the desert this year?
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Elliot

Post by Elliot » Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:13 am

:D
Hey Roundabout! Glad you are back among us.
Just be aware that your avatar is a picture of a turntable, not a roundabout. :mrgreen:

Roundabout

Post by Roundabout » Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:17 am

I do have a ticket for 2014. Now, to organize my life around making that schedule work. It is a long 3 days drive from here, and there are not many participants for support from this area. I can't fly in because of all the stuff I built for life on the playa after being inspired from all the projects posted on ePlaya. I love to build!

Yes, Eliot I know, but I grew up calling these magnificent locomotive turntables "roundabouts". I remember seeing one as a child where the platter was inside a round building that had about 20 tracks/entrances emanating from it in all directions. It was so cool that something as tied to the tracks of life as a locomotive could go in, go roundabout, and come out going in a completely new direction.
Every aspect of life is education. Even if you don't immediately grasp the lesson. robbidobbs

Aurelia
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: the Love Camp

Post by Aurelia » Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:38 am

and where are you now ?

xoA.

Roundabout

Post by Roundabout » Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:57 am

aserendipity wrote:and where are you now ?
Oh yeah, I missed that part on the profile. I think I have fixed it now. I am in Memphis.

Aurelia
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: the Love Camp

Post by Aurelia » Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:03 am

as it is I have an old friend , constant burner , who is from there .

stay in touch .

xoA.

Savannah
Burning Since: 2023

Post by Savannah » Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:20 pm

Daydre wrote:Hey everyone! After several years of lurking, researching, planning, and obsessively reading just about every thread of the the boards I finally decided to register as an actual member. I made it out to the desert for the first time last year from Alaska (gloriously over-prepared) and got to briefly meet the beautiful Savannah. Looking forward to doing it even better in 2014...with about half the stuff. Anyway, thanks for listening, see you all in August!
Aww, thank you Daydre! See you in the dust. :D
*** The Burning Man Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

eightyfour

Post by eightyfour » Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:34 pm

Hi there to you all.

My name is Juan and this is my first year also my wife's. We live in bay area so we are looking forward to meet burners around and try to learn from them not just from reading.

We have the dichotomy of trying to join a camp or go by our own, we see pros and cons to both, what you think?

Thanks to you all, will be a pleasure to meet you here on in the dust.

RobertFXDB

Post by RobertFXDB » Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:08 am

^Rhino! wrote:Robert, since my name was mentioned, I'm listening in on this conversation. By the way, thanks for all the work you do...I understand people are now able to trout fish for the Lahontan Cutthroat Trout in Pyramid Lake, thanks to the Pyramid Lake Band of the Paiute Nation. Ten pounders and more. Well done.

I'd also suggest that you get in touch with Earth Guardians. They have very valuable purpose and intent on the playa (plus they're good people). Trilo has good advice...pay attention to it.
They're seeing 20 pounders at Pyramid Lake now on a pretty regular basis. Pyramid Lake cutthroat are an interesting story if you're interested in conservation biology at all. Actually the tribe I work for, Summit Lake Paiute, as far as recognized tribes go are separate from Pyramid Lake. The Summit Lake Reservation is located north of Soldier Meadows, or about a 2 hour drive north of where BRC would be located.

I'll take your advice on Trilo's advice. It's good to know there are a lot of opportunities out there.
“One final paragraph of advice: do not burn yourselves out. Be as I am - a reluctant enthusiast....a part-time crusader, a half-hearted fanatic. Save the other half of yourselves and your lives for pleasure and adventure." - Edward Abbey

^Rhino!
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Black Rock Beacon

Post by ^Rhino! » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:14 pm

Summit Lake Paiute, do they extend up to Fort McDermitt?

Thanks for the good news on the Lahontan cutthroat trout! 20-pounders? WOW! Back in east Tennessee we were lucky to see or catch a seven or eight pound rainbow or brown in a dam tailwater fishery. And the brook trout is almost gone from the Smokies. Sad.
Rue Morgue - '08, '09
Black Rock Beacon - '2010, 2012-2016
(lux, veritas, lardum)
Bacon is forever. Veni, vidi, pertudi. (We came, we saw, we DRILLED.) - BRC Div. of Geology 2009-2015
I'm here until the serendipitous synchronicity is ubiquitous.

RobertFXDB

Post by RobertFXDB » Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:29 am

^Rhino! wrote:Summit Lake Paiute, do they extend up to Fort McDermitt?
No. The Fort McDermitt Paiute and Shoshone Tribe is separate, too. Of course, such divisions aren't so much traditional as they are a result of government actions in the 1930's. Traditionally, Paiute people, or Numa, lived a semi-nomadic lifestyle in extended family groups. Territorial identification tended to center around major food sources. Summit Lake Paiute call themselves Agai Panina Ticutta, which means "trout eaters", for example. Their territory was mainly around the northern Black Rock Range extending up into the steppe as you head into Oregon. The reservation is pretty small; only about 12,000 acres. There are 125 members enrolled in the tribe.

If only we could send our brook trout back. They're an invasive species here in the west and have wreaked havoc on Lahontan cutthroat populations, especially in the Black Rock Range.
“One final paragraph of advice: do not burn yourselves out. Be as I am - a reluctant enthusiast....a part-time crusader, a half-hearted fanatic. Save the other half of yourselves and your lives for pleasure and adventure." - Edward Abbey

^Rhino!

Post by ^Rhino! » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:44 am

Thanks, Robert! Hope to meet you on-playa!

One little tidbit I learned last night. Former US President Herbert Hoover caught a 25-pound Lahontan cutthroat trout before he was president, IN Pyramid Lake. Anything approaching that size recently?
Rue Morgue - '08, '09
(lux, veritas, lardum)
Bacon is forever. Veni, vidi, pertudi. (We came, we saw, we DRILLED.) - BRC Div. of Geology 2009-2015

cow dog
Burning Since: 2010

Post by cow dog » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:03 am

25.5 two weeks ago,

^Rhino!

Post by ^Rhino! » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:53 am

cow dog wrote:25.5 two weeks ago,
!!!!!!!!!!!!
WOW
!!!!!!!!!!!!

Looks like it's time to engage in a little bit of fishing.
Rue Morgue - '08, '09
(lux, veritas, lardum)

RobertFXDB

Post by RobertFXDB » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:32 pm

cow dog wrote:25.5 two weeks ago,
It's projected that those fish (Pilot Peak strain) are going to grow even larger as the years pass. It will be interesting to see if they start getting over 30 lbs as they did historically in Pyramid Lake.

Likewise Rhino, hope to see you on the Playa some day.

^Rhino!

Post by ^Rhino! » Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:23 am

Robert, while we're at it, we might put in a plug for the Paiute and all other Indians in the area.

Burners, engage in commerce with these folks. They make the best Indian tacos north of the four corners region of Arizona, Utah, New Mexico, and Colorado. We welcome their participation in our journey to Burningman. And DON'T litter. Take your trash with you, and get rid of it at an approved site.
Rue Morgue - '08, '09
(lux, veritas, lardum)

sayZar1999
Burning Since: 2011

Post by sayZar1999 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:58 pm

Hi all! My name is Joshua but you can call me Nuke or You-Uh. I have my tickets for 2014 and am very excited. I attended in 2011 and my ticket was purchased before they sold out. We actually bought our tickets in July that year. Probably the last time that will ever happen (not counting the OMG sale). After I got back I swore I would never return. Then something happened.....almost like it had to soak in and marinade my soul. After a couple of months of reflection I realized that I was able to confront and experience the full spectrum of emotions that I possess while I was there. I was forced to step out of my comfort zone. I was forced to grow.

I was unable to go in 2012 due to the fact that fall term classes in college started during the burn. I was unable to go in 2013 because I had just started a new job and didn't figure that they would let me take a week off to go to Burning Man just two months into a new job. I have already put in for vacation and my boss thinks it is awesome that I am going to Burning Man. I work for such a great company.

I graduated from college in June and I am now an A&P Helicopter Mechanic and I am restoring a 1942 Piper L4 Grasshopper in my garage. When I finish it I will be using it to get my pilot's license. I am getting married on the 4th of July and I will be bringing my Virgin Burner bride to Burning Man for our honeymoon.

When I came in 2011 I had such a sensory overload and I was so far out of my element that I didn't really participate much. (I did a little) This time I plan on volunteering at the airport as well as with the lamplighters.

I've been through quite a lot in my life and Burning Man is home.
I am today a better person not because of all my successes in life, but because of all my failures.

pope_poeco

Re: Hello, What's your name, Tell me about Your name.....

Post by pope_poeco » Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:01 pm

Hello- it is also a name.
A story once told of high hats long past, a walk for Walks and something Seen.
Feet for others- spine and skull to keep Standing for there is a stand.
Many fish, much apocrypha philial observance- another way to Say Called.
OlleH, I am a name.
I look forward to the went-to.
`…where you went.`

Mrstry

Post by Mrstry » Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:04 am

Hi I'm Mrstry,

I love :
Outerspace and my telescope
Tattoos
Flowers (in particular, hydrangeas)
Being sarcastic and generally a "nice jerk"
Saying I'm going to to bed early but end up staying up until 1am watching bubble stitch knitting tutes that I never do
My hubby Mexi (soon to join ePlaya) and our boy Ali (a furry boy)
Mine and my husbands ever-changing hairstyles (loved his 'fro the best tho)
Poetry

I dislike:

Being so anal about spelling ( okay, I lie, I LOVE IT)
Spelling things wrong
Worrying whether or not I actually DID flush the loo

Dislikes are boring to talk about so I'm keeping that list short.

I'm the chatterbox and tend to be on the charming side ( but also a nice jerk?? If that makes sense) My hubby is a great listener and just quietly the most talented and gifted one of our pair. He will get his A into G soon enough and register :) :)

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:18 am

Hola everyone!

Just catching up on this thread. I hope you can all make it to the meet and greet this year. Check our the thread...it's really fun to put a face to a name that you've conversed with for 1/2 a year.

Mrstry, a "sarcastic and generally a nice jerk". We are very simpatico in this regard and hope to meet you on the playa

:mrgreen: :coffee:
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

North_of_60
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: Frozone

Post by North_of_60 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:17 pm

Hi! - I'm Geoff - and I'm looking forward to participating in my first Burn. I'll be flying down solo from Iqaluit in Nunavut and I'm hoping to be a part of Lamplighters as I think what they do is really cool and I'd like to contribute. I'm fortunate to be able to arrive early and help with setup. There are oodles of things I want to see and be a part of for myself, but I also want to use this year as a recce as I'd like to offer my 10-year-old granddaughter the opportunity of coming to Kidsville next year (just to make the logistics that little bit even more complicated).

missbrownie
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Post by missbrownie » Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:52 pm

Hello, my name is missbrownie. I camp with Barbie Death Camp and that is how I heard about this hear eplaya communication board. I gift hats with ribbon and clasp to prevent MOOP. I also accept used hats to recycle. This year I will gift 300 hats but, next year I will not be able to afford that many on my own. I need lots of used and donated hats for next year. No matter if their dirty, ugly, even beanies. Perhaps, I shall meet some of you @ camp. Outside of Burning Man I live in Sacramento, CA.

Elliot

Post by Elliot » Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:05 pm

Hey Miss Brownie, welcome to ePlaya! 300 hats is impressive. I need one to go with my marching band uniform jacket, so I'll probably come by!

Return to “The Greeter's Station”