Hello and Welcome... What's your name? Tell me about You...

Start here - tell us about yourself and what brings you to ePlaya.
richie301187
Burning Since: 2015
Camp Name: :) Solo explorer

Re: Hello and Welcome... What's your name? Tell me about You

Post by richie301187 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:43 pm

Hey Everyone,

Lovely to read lots of your very helpful and inspiring posts!!

My name is Rich, Im a visual artist from Glasgow, Scotland. 2015 will be my first burning man!!! cant wait!!!!!
There was suppose to be 30 of us traveling from Scotland, however i was the only one lucky enough to snag a golden ticket.

The initial plan was that we would hire a convoy of RV's and start a camp. But now that i am the only one holding the flag, I plan on going solo and seeing where i end up. Live one day at a time and meet as many wonderful people as possible. I am going into this experience with a very open mind and the knowledge that it will be a life changing experience.

You need to be prepared.. But.. The way i see it as long as i have plenty of food, water, whisky and some other essentials everything will be alright.

My only slight concerns are...

Getting there - I have a vehicle pass, However my credit card wont work in the states (long story) which means even though i have the cash i cant hire a van. So i was hoping to fly out to San Francisco a week before and try and meet some fellow burners looking to expand there convoy (using my vehicle pass) in exchange for hitching a ride or even a spot at there camp. If anyone on here is interested let me know?

Camping - I am totally up for this adventure on my own and very excited to meet some strange and wonderful people, but having a safe place to camp with some people i trust would be a bonus. I will probably be out and about the majority of the time but obviously i will have stuff in my tent and id feel at ease knowing im camping with some like minded trust worthy people (not that i think there will be many baddies at burning man).

Soooo.. In conclusion i hope to either wing it and meet people in SF that are cool with me joining their camp or if there are any other solo burners in a similar situation on here looking to set up a solo campsite. That would be Ace!!!

If any other burners fancy meeting in SF, Give me a shout!!

Open to building a crew!

If anyone sees a guy in a kilt with a home made headdress say 'Alright pal'

Good luck everyone and i wish you all the best!!!!!!!
Don't worry about a thing, 'cause every little thing gonna be all right.

Popeye
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Beaverton

Post by Popeye » Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:08 pm

Welcome Richie
Sounds like you will do well in the dust. Check out the ride share board at https://rideshare.burningman.org/event/burning-man-2015
I wouldn't worry to much about someone stealing from your tent. It can happen but not to often. Make friends with your neighbors, you watch out for them and they wil look out for you.
“Tell me, what is it you plan to do / with your one wild and precious life?” Mary Oliver

astorguita19

Post by astorguita19 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:58 pm

Hola future friends,

My name is Laura, I'm from Venezuela but living in Miami for the last 14 years :) and i'm super excited and anxiuos to attend my first burn this year with the hubby and best friend!!!
Got our tickets but not the VP, reserved an pop up trailer, still working on the flight tickets to LA or SAnfran or Reno, and VP off course... if i can't find the VP i guess we will take the Burner express or maybe someone got a VP and needs a ride :).
I received an email telling me i got accepted to volunteer at The Temple and Artica ...so i'm very happy that i can go to BM not just to be there but to help and be a part of the community ....

Besos from a crazy cat lady :lol:

Laura.

Liltata

Post by Liltata » Sun Jun 21, 2015 5:08 am

Hello!

My name is Natalya and I'm from Brisbane, Australia but currently living in London. Our band of four has two tickets, so none for me at present but I thought I'd say G'Day anyway.

I'm 30 and have been waiting for this moment for 10 years XD I'm a forum warrior from way-back so this suits my style well :lol:, only having started to be less socially anxious, awkward, and shy in my mid-twenties.

I'm super keen to contribute and lend a hand where I can. Hire me? :lol: :P

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:32 pm

Welcome Natalya, I hope you can get a ticket and make it this year. If not, please become a 'regular' on this board and by next year you'll have a good idea how to get a ticket. For this year try all of the avenues available. It's tricky buying from strangers when you are in another part of the world. Only the States and Canada get their tickets mailed so you would have to know and trust someone to deal with them. Start your researching now. Hope to see you in the dust.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Jovankat
Camp Name: Methuselah's Children

Post by Jovankat » Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:01 pm

They've actually opened up international shipping for some other countries this year as well. So don't assume someone in London with a ticket in hand is trying to pull one over on you. But there are definitely a lot less actual tickets on the ground outside of The US and Canada.

Wigwam
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: The Wanderers

Post by Wigwam » Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:23 pm

'Straya Day? Count me in!! Now if I can just keep my Tim Tams from melting, I'll be alright!!
The truth is more important than the facts.
I'm not an actor, but I've played one on TV.

richie301187
Camp Name: :) Solo explorer

Post by richie301187 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:17 pm

Cheers Ulisse for the info and link to ride share.

Already made contact with a few more solo burners beginning there journey in San Fran and the plan is to help out some more solo burners arriving in SF and maybe get a convoy on the go made up of solo burners :) And anyone that wants to jump aboard off course.

Sooooo excited! Now time to accessorise my kilt and other costume ideas.

If anyone else is begining there journey from SF then get in touch. I will be there a week before and would be great to meet up with other Burners for some last minute tips/ collaboration or just for a drink and some hype chat.

Godspeed burners!!!! See you in the dust.
Don't worry about a thing, 'cause every little thing gonna be all right.

Iorg
Burning Since: 2016

Post by Iorg » Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:19 pm

My name is Scot I live in the Uintah Ouray rez in Utah, But I am Pyramid Lake and I'm thinking I may attend Burning Man, And check it out.

Savannah
Burning Since: 2023

Post by Savannah » Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:36 pm

Iorg wrote:My name is Scot I live in the Uintah Ouray rez in Utah, But I am Pyramid Lake and I'm thinking I may attend Burning Man, And check it out.
Hello, Scot! :D

The new Burning Man Survival Guide 2015 is here! Check out the required reading.
http://survival.burningman.org/

Welcome!
*** The Burning Man Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

Strata
Burning Since: 1995
Camp Name: Poly Paradise

Post by Strata » Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:54 am

BearHug here, returning home after missing a year for work reasons. Less shy than when I posted in 2013 and got hooked up with "Brody's tips for shy people on playa"*. Hoping to re-meet some folks, make new friends, have a fun time. I'll be volunteering a couple of shifts at the Black Rock Bakery this year, but (long story) missed signing up for ESD Comms, so I'll have *actual leisure time* on the playa instead of working 40+ hours. I'm not sure I know what to do with myself-- suggestions welcome. Looking forward to going through the who/what/when and finding out I can actually GO to stuff instead of it conflicting with shift work.

I'll be camping at Poly Paradise for the first time this year, and looking forward to meeting folks there too. And maybe remembering to make the noon ham net for once!

Cheers,
BearHug / Strata / KF6NBZ

* Brody's tips: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=45094
Maker, Artist, Gardener, Slacker, Bodhisattva
BearHug * KF6NBZ * Comms9060
* 1995, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019 *

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:32 pm

Hola and hello Strata...

Come by Dye with Dignity and tye dye a silk scarf with us. Our main dye day will be Monday 11-3. We are located within the Barbie Death Village. We were on 6:30 & G last year, hoping to hit that spot again this year. If you can't make dye day come by any time most afternoons and cool ff with a snow cone or margarita.
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Wigwam
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: The Wanderers

Post by Wigwam » Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:58 pm

Yes, come by the Wanderers camp as well, somewhere in the 'hood of 3:00 & F. We do Toxic Tonic and hot dogs every day at about 4:00. Ask for Wigwam. It won't do a thing for you, but it will make *me* feel good. :lol:
The truth is more important than the facts.
I'm not an actor, but I've played one on TV.

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Fri Jul 03, 2015 4:51 pm

Welcome Scott and Welcome Strata. I've tried squinting but just can't make out your post.
remembering to make the noon ham net for once!
What's a ham net? Anyway. congrats on not having to work your whole week this year. It'll be the best burn ever.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Strata
Burning Since: 1995
Camp Name: Poly Paradise

Post by Strata » Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:12 pm

Hey, Ratty, thanks kindly. WRT a ham net, it's an amateur radio network where we all show up on the same frequency at noon and say hi.

Cheers,
BearHug
Maker, Artist, Gardener, Slacker, Bodhisattva
BearHug * KF6NBZ * Comms9060
* 1995, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019 *

Savannah

Post by Savannah » Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:45 pm

Welcome back, Strata!

I'm glad you're taking a bit of a break this time. :D

White Bronco
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: WHITE BRONCO

Post by White Bronco » Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:44 pm

Billtron here! Head administrator at White Bronco HQ. I go to BM about once every 3-4 years. Just got a ticket and I'm looking forward to year 8!

Is anyone here is interesting in DJing or playing live music at my camp this year?

Any music. We would love to have you.
If I say I'm going to do it, I'll do it. :coffee:

Savannah

Post by Savannah » Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:57 pm

Welcome, Clutch! :D

I had to re-read your post just to be sure you were looking for DJs. Wow! ePlaya usually has a chronic infestation of Gigless DJs, rather than people looking for them. Fantastic. :lol:

They're sprinkled here and there--might be some in the "2015 Camps, Art & Activities" forum.
viewforum.php?f=403

If I run across any new ones in the next few weeks, I'll send 'em your way.

Linking_gone

Post by Linking_gone » Fri Jul 10, 2015 5:19 pm

Hi everyone!

I'm Linkin_gone.
I'm French but live in the bay area.

I heard so much about how Burning Man is awesome, how it is the best human experience you can live and how it could change yourself.
Well it does sound amazing but I failed to get the tickets at the second they went on sale!

So I am looking for two tickets, one for my girlfriend, hopefully soon to be fiancée. I am planning to propose her during Burning Man! That would indeed be a life-changing experience!
I would also be glad to join a camp of French/ Czech/ European or ANYONE that would like to get some help to prep everything. I am willing to get hard at work to help!!

It's probably my only chance to experience Burning Man since I might not be in California next year.

I really hope I can make it.
Can't wait to meet all of you! :)

leigh drayton

Post by leigh drayton » Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:47 pm

i come from a land down under! G'day everybody. Nice to meet you all :)
My name is Leigh, a young hooligan living on the gold coast in Australia. Me and my 2 pals are heading over to America in 2016 for 3 or so months, with Burning Man being the main event. We've all been reading about burning man and are super keen to get involved and experience dust that isnt red.
We are all fit young 21 year old lads who would be keen to help out and set up and all that jazz.
We are a bit nervous about securing tickets because the general vibe is that they sell out pretty quick, and Australia's internet is maybe 1 step above dial-up. So we were wondering if there is anything we can do to help secure ourselves a ticket and maybe some of the essentials, such as a basic bit of shelter and other supplies, as we will be living light and backpacking.
Iv'e read things about virgin burners being sponsored by camps that attend each year, helping out with the setup and working in the camps and whatnot, which we would all enjoy. But iv'e read that that all kind of fell through as well. Any advice and information is appreciated.
I look forward to meeting each of you in all your colours and splendour.

Dr. Pyro
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Post by Dr. Pyro » Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:16 am

Enjoy your journey! Yes, there is a way to secure and guarantee your tickets. They have an early sale (if memory serves it's in November or December) and the tickets are sold at a premium. This past year they ran over $600 apiece but you knew you had them without trying to fight the hoards in February. I would consider it a worthwhile investment, but then again, for me cost is no object. YMMV.

leigh drayton

Post by leigh drayton » Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:35 pm

Cheers pyro. That definitely sounds like a good backup plan, lets hope the Australian dollar improves a bit first though haha :P Is there anyway we can volunteer at camps or anything beforehand and help out with them maybe with the setup and work around the camp for the duration? Or any good places to meet people who will be going to the burn? Access to an esky, shade and other stuff like that would be nice.

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:10 pm

leigh drayton wrote:Cheers pyro. That definitely sounds like a good backup plan, lets hope the Australian dollar improves a bit first though haha :P Is there anyway we can volunteer at camps or anything beforehand and help out with them maybe with the setup and work around the camp for the duration? Or any good places to meet people who will be going to the burn? Access to an esky, shade and other stuff like that would be nice.
Reno, San Francisco Bay Area, Seattle, San Diego, Los Angeles, Sacramento, Portland and all sorts of other places. San Francisco is expensive. Reno is closest and very lively...
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Jovankat
Camp Name: Methuselah's Children

Post by Jovankat » Sat Jul 25, 2015 3:47 pm

Hey Leigh I'm an Aussie living in the US.

I would totally recommend you guys buy your tickets in the pre-sale. Doc's info is a bit out of date though, they were US$800 and went on sale in January this year. The extra cost stings a little and the shitty Aussie dollar adds to that but if you're planning a trip from Australia having your tickets sorted early is worth it in my opinion. Even with the pre-sale you should be sitting at your computer ready to buy the moment the sale opens though. That will likely be around 7 or 8am in Australia. The pre-sale sold out in a matter of hours this year and will likely be even quicker next year so be ready!

You can definitely join a camp or work on an art crew and if you don't already have tickets lined up they will sometimes help you by keeping an ear out for any that become available. And if you want to come early you'll need them to provide you with an early entry pass. Joining a theme camp as internationals can be a good option for sharing shade and kitchen facilities etc. There's debate on whether it's a good idea to join a camp or do it all yourself in you first year with good points on both sides. I think only being in the country temporarily makes joining a camp seem more appealing but I also run a theme camp so I'm a bit biased ;) Actually speaking of that my camp hosts a 'Straya Day party on playa so that's something you could help out with if you like.

Also if you can make it I'd recommend trying to get to Burning Seed, the main Aussie regional, this year over the October long weekend it would a great primer for the big burn. I'm pretty bummed I won't be able to go this year.

jongoodbun
Camp Name: Bismuth Bivouac

Post by jongoodbun » Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:25 am

Hi, Jon here.. first time to BM!

part of a 60 person camp from London building 3 installations.

I have a specific issue right now.. trying to work out how much gas we need to run 4 big Bayou Classic gas cookers, cooking 2 meals a day for 60 people for 16 days

and any good local suppliers...

any help welcome!

gaminwench
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP, Destiny Lounge

Post by gaminwench » Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:52 am

Hi, Jon!

I'd suggest you start a separate, specific post on your propane questions ... there are a lot of good brains here that will help you with your calculations and resource info (but might not be reading this thread).

Welcome!
"the prophecies of doom were better last year" trilo

Scoopy
Camp Name: Devachan / Ego Trip

Post by Scoopy » Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:28 pm

Hello y'all!

My name is Scott (Scoopy, Scooba, Dubchops...depending on where and when I met/meet you etc..;)

I live in San Diego now, but hail from Lewiston NY (literally below Niagara Falls). I've only been to BM once, 2013, and of course it is now a hallmark of my life experiences thus far. Within 30 seconds of meeting our (I went with my partner) Greeter, we both were in tears. The ceremony, his words and sincerity, our remembrance and returning to a home we haven't yet been to... They were tears of joy as well as release! Whoa... We vowed to try our hardest to return home every year after. (Looking for 1 ticket this year!!!)

I'm a photographer / videographer / graphic designer / DJ by trade, though thoroughly enjoy them as creative outlets as well... Especially avian photography!

Art, Music, Community, and Nature are my passions...and if they overlap, well, then BOOM!

Been a fan of electronic music ever since I heard Kraftwerk's 'Computer World' back in 1981 while I was trying to record my father snoring. I hid underneath his chair with my tape recorder w/o knowing my older brother had put his Kraftwerk tape in it... pressed play and Pocket Calculator came on. I was 6yo...of course I loved it! Breakdancing followed. 12 years later...raves were happening in warehouses on the outskirts of almost every major and minor East Coast city. The communal vibes were amazing... then one year they weren't. 20 years later I found my way back HOME!

Much love to y'all!

-S

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:15 pm

Hola and hello...

hope you find your ticket
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

theandym

Post by theandym » Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:19 pm

Hi there, I'm Andy.

I moved to the Bay Area from South Carolina in January of last year. I've know about Burning Man for years, but haven't had the opportunity to attend until this year (I have a ticket!).

I'm extremely excited about the experience, and am looking for a camp to share it / contribute with. Any advice on my journey there is welcome, as I'm a virgin and have a lot to learn.

Dr. Pyro
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Post by Dr. Pyro » Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:25 pm

Since your a denizen of the ePlaya, you should show up for sure at the ePlaya Meet & Greet Wednesday at 6 p.m. at Barbie Death Camp right on the corner of 7:00 and Ersatz. A splendid time is guaranteed for all. And bring some absinthe.

Return to “The Greeter's Station”