Hello and Welcome... What's your name? Tell me about You...

Start here - tell us about yourself and what brings you to ePlaya.
ninsquad
Burning Since: 2016

Re: Hello and Welcome... What's your name? Tell me about You

Post by ninsquad » Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:21 pm

Armed with Da Vincis' paintbrush the options are endless. His paintbrush is probably all I will fit into my luggage from OS...that and some water and dust from the playa would make for some snazzy body art...

Agaton
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Sheep & Wolf Pub

Post by Agaton » Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:42 am

Great idea!

Farted in my wallet; now I have gas money. -Unjonharley

Hardtimes-88
Camp Name: No

Post by Hardtimes-88 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:15 pm

Hello, I'm Hard times-88. I have never been to BM, but would love to go with my only daughter (19) in 2016 as a way to reconnect. I'm very nerdy, but have no computer skills or anything cool like that. I do volunteer work with an animal rescue group in north Georgia. I'm a medical person who spent many years in ICUs and on a variety of EMS aircraft. Going to BM is a bucket list thing for me, and of course, my daughter would love me for eternity if I take her. My hope is she would walk away a more enlightened human, as well as myself. My spare time along with animal rescue is spent gardening around my home, which is a Georgia recognized bird habitat and sanctuary. I feel like BM is something I need to do and will be a life changing experience.
Cheers!

Elliot

Post by Elliot » Thu Oct 29, 2015 1:11 pm

:D
Hey Hardtimes-88, welcome to ePlaya!

If you feel you “need” to do Burning Man, then perhaps it is not so much a “bucket list” item after all -- which would be a good thing. I mean… if someone just wants to check it off a list for bragging rights at the old folks’ home, then Burning Man may not be for them at all.

I like to tell people that Burning Man ought to be a minimum two-year commitment. The first year most folks are learning their way around and coping with sensory overload. The second year we can really accomplish something. But of course, everyone is different. Some first-timers do seem to feel right at home after just a couple days.

As a medical pro you might consider volunteering with the Emergency Services Department. I gather they were shorthanded last year. But perhaps not in your first year, and certainly not the first few days.

Stick around here, and be sure to sign up for the Jack Rabbit Speaks newsletter. And read the Survival Guide.

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:03 pm

Hardtimes--If your certs are current, you might be able to work with the Emergency Services Department. The big minus would be time spend in the med tents, not with your daughter. It may not be what you need. But it was what my husband needed, and I always feel obliged to let people who might ha ve those skills know that it's an option.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Da Duke

Post by Da Duke » Sat Nov 07, 2015 4:04 am

Hi all. I am Da Duke from Sydney, Australia. I have never been to Burning Man and next year will be my first one. Ive got my air ticket sorted, and now I just need to figure out the way to get there, either hire a car and drive from SF or fly to Black Rock area and hire a campervan there.
I first read about BM via an article in the paper and something prompted me to research further. After reading through a few articles and following its Facebook page, I feel that I have to do it because I think it may help me to re-discover who I am as a person today. I dont know. It may help, it may not. Theres only one way to find out.
I am originally from Saigon, Vietnam. Ive been living in Aussie land for almost 20 years now. Ive been working in Retail industry for about 13 years. It sucks but its the only thing I enjoy doing so its not too bad. I try to lift a bit of weights when I have time but I love pizzas too much to really show any results
Funnily enough, I am kinda socially awkward so being around with more than 70K people will be interesting for me but at the same time, I love meeting new people and hear their lives' stories. They always have the most fascinating stories to tell :D

< /
\ >
G'day mate!

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Sat Nov 07, 2015 9:02 am

Hola and hello...

You can fly in directly to BRC but you can't rent a camper van there. You da fly into any surrounding city (Reno is the closest) and rent a vehicle there. You will want to get your reservation for the camper van early as they do fill up.

The Reno airport is not an international airport so you may finditcheaper to fly into SF or even Vegas and drive up from there. The distance between Reno and Vegas is approx 420 :mrgreen: miles, about a 7-8 hour trip for someone unfamiliar with the road...
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Chipitz
Camp Name: N/A

Post by Chipitz » Sat Nov 07, 2015 3:00 pm

Hello, all! My name is Chip, I'm a burning man virgin, and planning on going to whatever lengths I must to get the the playa this year!

I've been aware of BM for quite some time, and it's been a very powerful dream of mine for a number of years, but never manifested. The closest I cam was last year (this year? 2015, anyway) where I had every intention of attending, even had all sorts of volunteer opportunities to look into, when all plans came crashing down and I was unable to attend.

Of course, I'm always receptive to guidance and assistance in doing these things, if any of you would like to help!

A couple of dear friends really helped to ignite the spark in me. One lives and operates a float center in Honolulu. Another plays a role in the annual Frostburn. And another is an artist living in the mountains of California somewhere, who taught me to express myself.

This year, I'm going to do whatever it takes, friends accompanying or not, to be there! I want to volunteer as much as possible, and get involved in as many aspects as I can. I want to be a part of a theme camp , I want to build an installation, i want to help set up and clean up, I just want to do it all! I want to immerse myself in something. Of course, if it doesn't work out and I just attend as a non-volunteer, well that's okay too!

About me: I'm a college graduate just getting by on a minimum wage type job in Colorado. My girlfriend is a glassblower at a local shop, and I work at a t-shirt shop. But in my free time, I love arts and crafts! I sew, and make custom clothes, as well as some mask-making lately. Once, I helped in the creation and implantation of an LED music responsive art installation suspended from the ceiling of a nightclub in State College, Pennsylvania. I also enjoy the flow arts, and I spin fire fans and double mini hoops, and tinker with poi. I go to a lot of live music, and would probably name Shpongle Live at Red Rocks my favorite experience.

Well I think that's about it for now. I'm going to do whatever I can, and I hope to see all you lovely people there!

Elliot

Post by Elliot » Sat Nov 07, 2015 7:17 pm

Welcome to ePlaya, Chip and Duke!

Chip, you may not want to commit to very much volunteering your first year. Most first-timers have their hands full just learning their way around and coping with sensory overload.

Or put another way... this Event is a full immersion affair even without signing up for a lot of specific activities.

That said... if you and your lady can set up a glass blowing studio, I bet it would be a hit.

Duke, there are many of us who felt shy and awkward. Then we arrived in Black Rock City and found ourselves with 70,000 close and trusted friends -- nothing awkward about anything.

Da Duke

Post by Da Duke » Sun Nov 08, 2015 2:18 am

Hi Lucky

Thank you for that little tip. At the moment, I feel that driving from SF to BRC is the most viable option for me (5.5 hrs drive is not too bad). I can probably buy a cheap bicycle to get around once Im in BRC and as well as other necessities. I am just afraid that I may not be able to find what I want in Reno as I have no idea what its like there :)
Once I can get my BM and vehicle pass then Ill plan the rest of the trip
lucky420 wrote:Hola and hello...

You can fly in directly to BRC but you can't rent a camper van there. You da fly into any surrounding city (Reno is the closest) and rent a vehicle there. You will want to get your reservation for the camper van early as they do fill up.

The Reno airport is not an international airport so you may finditcheaper to fly into SF or even Vegas and drive up from there. The distance between Reno and Vegas is approx 420 :mrgreen: miles, about a 7-8 hour trip for someone unfamiliar with the road...
G'day mate!

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Sun Nov 08, 2015 6:00 am

You can't buy ANYTHING in BRC!!! :shock:
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

Dr. Pyro
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Post by Dr. Pyro » Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:40 am

FIGJAM wrote:You can't buy ANYTHING in BRC!!! :shock:
That's simply not true Figgy. You can buy my soul as often as you'd like.

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:43 am

That ol' thang? Pish tosh. I'll buy used undergarments but I ain't touching that!
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Elliot

Post by Elliot » Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:58 am

Da Duke wrote:... I can probably buy a cheap bicycle to get around once Im in BRC and as well as other necessities....
Duke, this is what FIGJAM is referring to. The only thing you can buy in BRC is ice -- frozen water -- which is necessary to keep food from spoiling.
You may want to dive into the Survival Guide and the rest of the First-timer information on the website. Mandatory reading, no kidding.

Da Duke

Post by Da Duke » Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:22 am

Whoa, no kidding? Thank you for that. I guess I will have to get everything in SF when I arrive on the 25th, I do have a few days to get sorted.
Ive skimmed thru the Guide and Firsttimer website. Def will read them again carefully
The campervan I am looking to hire has a small kitchenette so Im not planning to cook anything major, Ill probably just buy canned food and fresh fruits. I hope I can survive a week on those :shock:
Elliot wrote:
Da Duke wrote:... I can probably buy a cheap bicycle to get around once Im in BRC and as well as other necessities....
Duke, this is what FIGJAM is referring to. The only thing you can buy in BRC is ice -- frozen water -- which is necessary to keep food from spoiling.
You may want to dive into the Survival Guide and the rest of the First-timer information on the website. Mandatory reading, no kidding.
G'day mate!

hurgdburg
Burning Since: 2013

Post by hurgdburg » Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:49 pm

Heyo lovely people,

I'm SO looking forward to going back to the burn! I was there three years ago, for Cargo Cult. It was just amazing.

I'm 26-year-old guy, will be 27 for the burn, and I've been spending the last couple years living in the far North in Cree and Inuit communities running extra-curricular activities for the schools. We're trying to help get more of the students through high school, while encouraging any efforts for them to preserve their cultures. It's been fascinating experience living up here - last Saturday there was a huge blizzard and the northern lights have been remarkable so far this year!

About me - I'm fascinated by all things artistic and many things scientific, though all the misty-eyed stargazers who cast the meaning of their lives out into the latest images from the Hubble Telescope or the Pluto fly-by don't have a cosmic interest that is shared by me. I care more about the human psyche than explosions in the sky that are of such distance from us to be completely unobtainable in our life-times. I do hope we go to Mars, though, and I'm being poetic. I'm a fan of spirituality, and I have twin bachelors degrees in Neuroscience and Music Composition from McGill University in Montreal.

In my life I hope to explore the neural mechanisms of the mind of the artist, to learn about what is happening inside us during the moment of creation, and to turn that around to inform therapeutic practices and help cause the necessary philosophical shifts that will unfold in the 21st century. If we can better understand creativity it will force us to more greatly value the contributions of those who have traditionally been put down and excluded from the mainstream of society, moreso than any protest movement can do in this day and age, in my humble opinion. If the creation of art itself is a form of worship, and a form of research, then the creation of meaningful works of art ought to be pulled into the process of academic research in an iterative process whereby creativity informs scientific progress, which in turn inspires new forms of creativity.

I'm thrilled to read the theme of Leonardo's Workshop as he is a figure who I have been looking to more and more as a means to live both the life of an artist and of someone who does rigourous science. This time around at Burning Man, I'm going to have more costumes, and likely wear less clothing, and spend a lot more time exploring the night-time hours. It may be hot as hell there in the daylight, but I'd rather sleep through that than miss what goes down at three or four in the morning.

Looking forward to getting to know you all and I'll see ya on the playa!

Ratty

Post by Ratty » Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:08 pm

Welcome Hurdgburg. It sounds like you live an interesting life up there. I hope you can make it this year.

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Chaseay
Camp Name: Not got one, but i hope not for long :P

Post by Chaseay » Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:54 am

Hello there ladies and gentlemen :D,

My name is Chaseay, I'm a 26 year old BM virgin that is living in the United Arab Emirates, Dubai (as most people don't know the UAE haha). I was born in Manchester, England and at the age of 18 months my parents decided to move out here due to an amazing job offer. I have lived out here all my life (besides 5 years of going back to the UK for uni) and have learnt to adapt to extreme weather conditions that this place can throw at us (including temperatures ranging up to 50 degrees centigrade and humidity as high as 70 - 90% during Summer....although I have lived out here all my life, let me tell ya....that will NEVER get any easier haha).
My family has always been a very out doorsy family. We all had our own off roading dirt bike that we used to do every weekend, we are all rugby and football players, LOVE to go camping and hiking (my father, brother and I climbed the highest mountain in the UAE which was a full days hike when we were in our early teens), jet skiing, I did Scuba diving at a junior level and I also did my Silver Duke of Edinburgh Award in Kenya.
Now the geeky side...I am a HUGE gamer! Love playing competitive games online with my mates in my spare time (especially during Summer when it is too hot haha). Have played competitively in a competition or 2 when I was younger but not any recently. Okay enough about games....trying to restrain myself haha.
Okay...profession. I studied animal behaviour and welfare and animal management at uni so you can see where this is going....haha. I am actually currently the head keeper for the Ungulates (hoofed stock like gazelle and oryx) section at the Breeding Centre for Endangered Arabian Wildlife in Sharjah, UAE. We help to keep animal populations around the Arabian Peninsula from perishing in the world (like the Arabian Oryx for example who's numbers have drastically increased over the past decades). For as long as I remember I have wanted to work with wild animals. Steve Irwin (RIP) was my idol, that legend was the reason I followed my dream non stop until I made it a reality and my long term ambition is to do what he did and help educate the world about the beings that share this world with us, no matter how big or small, and teach people how important it is to have them share this world with us.

Okay I'm gonna start wrapping this up now haha I have a habit of talking too much so I have been told :P. Anyway, I have known of BM for a long time but never thought anything of it...until now. Just recently my friends suggested about going to BM for 2016. I agreed because of what I heard about it and thought it would be a laugh. That was before I started researching it...and now, I am obsessed with going! Everything I have seen on videos and read through blogs is absolutely incredible! Words can not describe my feelings towards this event and how I wish it wasn't just an event but a way of life. No currency, living in extreme conditions, self reliance, gifting and all around just people all loving and caring for one another. Helping people up instead of kicking them while they are down. It sounds like paradise to me. I understand the challenge that is ahead of me and that I may not even get a ticket (which I think would crush me :( ) but I am more then eager to help in anyway possible in the days coming up to the event so that even if I can't go, then at least I can say I helped to make it become a reality this year.

Okay, I feel like I'm back at uni again writing an essay or that I am applying for a job haha. Sorry if this is too much guys, just tell me to shut up the next time :P.

Peace out ladies and gents :D xo

Savannah
Burning Since: 2023

Post by Savannah » Thu Nov 19, 2015 2:53 pm

Hi Chaseay! :D

The playa is not quite paradise (release your expectations!) but it IS an adventure. I hope you'll love it. :)

Good luck with your ticket. Have you signed up for the Jack Rabbit Speaks email newsletter?
*** The Burning Man Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

Ratty

Post by Ratty » Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:53 am

Welcome Chaseay.
Everything I have seen on videos and read through blogs is absolutely incredible! Words can not describe my feelings towards this event and how I wish it wasn't just an event but a way of life. No currency, living in extreme conditions, self reliance, gifting and all around just people all loving and caring for one another. Helping people up instead of kicking them while they are down. It sounds like paradise to me.
This assessment is a little ambitious. (Here comes Ratty with a big bubble bursting tool.) BRC has the same problems you'll find in any city this size. AND after 5 or 7 days you'll be ready to leave the city behind. Many people find themselves stuck in limbo at the point. Can't live with it. Can't live without it.

Do like Savannah says. Put all of your expectations aside. I isn't like you picture it. It's MUCH better.

Spend some time researching and asking questions. Get to know us and we'll hug you in the dust next year.

Arthur Schopenhauer

hurgdburg
Burning Since: 2013

Post by hurgdburg » Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:13 pm

Heyo Chaseay!

You sound like a pretty cool person, I hope we miraculously cross paths during the burn! And I'll say, us vocal types who've always been told to stand down and not talk so much... radical acceptance, man! (or gal, can't tell by post but intuition says dude)

When we meet on the playa we can gab on about any and all things. Hope it happens!

Elliot

Post by Elliot » Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:04 pm

Welcome to ePlaya, Chaseay!
You are in the same line of work as my brother, so you must be all right.

And now it is time for my weekly rant sermon. It would be really cool if everyone used an avatar of their own face. With no inflection, no body language online, a face does help. Rant over. :mrgreen:

lucky420

Post by lucky420 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:12 am

Elliot wrote::D
Welcome to ePlaya, Chaseay!
You are in the same line of work as my brother, so you must be all right.

And now it is time for my weekly rant sermon. It would be really cool if everyone used an avatar of their own face. With no inflection, no body language online, a face does help. Rant over. :mrgreen:

How's this Elliot? Is this enough face for you? :lol:
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Elliot

Post by Elliot » Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:26 am

Cannot see your beard, Lucky.

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:40 am

Elliot wrote:Cannot see your beard, Lucky.
*walks right past low hanging fruit*
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

lucky420

Post by lucky420 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:02 am

ygmir wrote:
Elliot wrote:Cannot see your beard, Lucky.
*walks right past low hanging fruit*

oh dear....bwahahahahhaa you guys are bad...i love it
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Ravermeister
Burning Since: 2015

Post by Ravermeister » Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:34 am

Hi my name is Mike. I'm from the Toronto area in Canada. I'm new to the site and looking to get involved in all ways Bm and MM here in Ontario. I'm a veteran of the the pre 2000 party scene here. I'm looking forward to volunteering if given the opportunity both local and abroad. I'm at a comfortable stage in life and looking to live and create out loud

Ravermeister

Post by Ravermeister » Thu Dec 03, 2015 4:51 am

[quote="Ravermeister"]Hi my name is Mike. I'm from the Toronto area in Canada. I'm new to the site and looking to get involved in all ways Bm and MM here in Ontario. I'm a veteran of the the pre 2000 party scene here. I'm looking forward to volunteering if given the opportunity both local and abroad. I'm at a comfortable stage in life and looking to live and create out loud. Toronto Decompression was my first official BM related event. I have attended multiple WEMF's in Ontario and DanceValley 98 in the Netherlands and countless parties before fatherhood took me out of the scene. Now life has morphed once again and I'm want to reconnect with my fellow strange-lings and beautifi the world and the collective consciousness Tried for BM 2015 but my place in the wow sale missed out. Mooseman, electric forest and BurningMan 2016 are on the map. This past summer The Grand Canyon New Mexico Utah and Colorado filled the void in my heart left by missing out on BM 2015 but We had a awesome time. meeting burners on their way home after the event. And that big hole in the ground was cool too. Our Solar Powered Time Machine ( camper I fixed up for the trip and outfitted it for the playa) Survived the 10504 km trip with only a blown axel in Des Moines and no other damage. Word to the wise. Repack your bearings before u head all the home if u live on the other side like me . Glad to be on the forum and I look forward to connecting with you all.

Agaton
Camp Name: Sheep & Wolf Pub

Post by Agaton » Thu Dec 03, 2015 4:52 am

Welcome to ePlaya, Mike Ravermeister!
Creating out loud is a good idea (so long as you are not a disc jockey).
Have you read the Survival Guide yet?
Farted in my wallet; now I have gas money. -Unjonharley

Ravermeister

Post by Ravermeister » Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:05 am

Yes I read up and prepped up for 2015 and got a real sense of the playa from some of the burners we met on the road All input is welcome and appreciated Agaton.

Return to “The Greeter's Station”