Hello and Welcome... What's your name? Tell me about You...

Start here - tell us about yourself and what brings you to ePlaya.
BAS
Burning Since: 2006

Post by BAS » Mon Sep 13, 2004 7:16 pm

Glowmaster wrote:I'm not just looking to find a woman. I just want to meet some cool people. I would like to maybe start to get to know a few people on eplaya before I attend, so I can find some of them when I get there. Maybe even organize a ride out there with a few people from the midwest.
Hopefully with the help of eplaya I won't be one of those newbies that people keep complaining about.
Well, some friends of mine and I are planning to go in 2005, and we are all located over here in Madison, WI. A lot of the specifics are still pretty hazy. (A couple of us tentitively agreed that doing a project is probably biting off more than we can chew-- since for the two of us it will be our first Burning Man.) One of our group has been to Burning Man before, in the mid-1990s (so things are quite different than when he went!)

Dunno if any of us qualify as "cool" or not! That is a pretty subjective concept! :P

If you want to contact me, my e-mail address is:

brian_a_stewart (at) juno (dot) com

and somehow remind me of who you are and why you are contacting me in the Subject line, so it will stand out from the far too many e-mail lists I am on.

Or, just keep posting here, since I have been checking in here regularly, in the hopes I won't be TOO clueless of a newbie! :wink:

Brian
"Nothing is withheld from us which we have conceived to do.
Do things that have never been done."
--Russell Kirsch

Sondra

Intro from a lurker

Post by Sondra » Wed Sep 15, 2004 10:55 am

Hi - my name is Sondra. I was "given" a playa name this year but still not used to it - it's Nucleus. 2004 was my second year and I brought my best friend - a newbie - we camped at Denver Iniquity - near Infinite Oasis. I'm in Colorado after spending a half a year travelling the west and southwest. I made a decision to go to burning man last year - my first - a week ahead of time and it was great - I painted faces and fell into the gifting mode pretty naturally. I'm a sculptor, painter, writer and other things that create no income. I spent a year in Montreal studying before taking off on this ill-planned but serendipity-blessed trip. I met a few e-playans at Barbie Death Camp this year - my friends and I happened upon the camp just as a little shindig was starting and I knew one of the group. We ended up getting invited in and AuntEM gave me an awsome glass bead pendant that I wear proudly - thank you so much! My (other) newbie friend caught the spirit and went around collecting everyone's shrimp tails (no - that wasn't a euphemism.) So hello to you all - I promised the people that I met (to whom I introduced myself as "the lurker") that I would come out of hiding and post - so here I am.

Nucleus

chineseobelisk

Post by chineseobelisk » Thu Sep 16, 2004 3:57 pm

Hey can I come play. Lots better energy in here than some of the other threads.
Hi. I am the Chinese Obelisk. I am not chinese nor am i an obelisk. My name is Keith. I spend too little time making art - something my first visit to BRC has convinced me must change, I like diversity -both in myself and others, and I am confused about my current station in life.
Toward that end, I am wondering when the SF de-com is. I will likely be there for the last two weeks of Oct. visiting with a few long lost friends, and would love to reconnect with some of the terriffic creative energy I found on the playa.
measuring the weight of smoke

chineseobelisk

Post by chineseobelisk » Fri Sep 17, 2004 7:41 am

I am wondering when the SF de-com is

hmmm..never mind i found it just posted on the main page[/quote]

kicklane

Post by kicklane » Fri Sep 17, 2004 11:31 am

hi all- my name is kim, i'm sitting here in winchester england,england (sorry) it's cold and rainy as it often is and i'm battling to deal with the fact that 10 days ago i was in that magical desert you all speak of...seems like a dream now. it was my first burn, i'd read about it ,must be 10 years ago now ,in national geographic- just a single picture of a 60 something naked woman on a bike in the desert and ever since i've been determined to go- well since then i've lived on 3 different continents and had 2 amazing kids who i love to death ,so just never got there...but this year their dad- who i love to death also- gave me the gift of the time and the space to go to BM- he had the kids for 12 days and i got to go play...i got to be no-bodies wife and no-bodies mother and no-bodies daughter or sister....none of the things i've spent the last 40 (yep, that number) years being.
it was the most increadible time, i fell in love with the place and the people and the joy and the smiles and the humor and the fire and the sun and the giving and even the dust...all i can think about now is how to do it even better next time-but being home is proving to be really hard, i feel like i'm pining for a lover, it's that physical - i put so much energy into preparing to be there and getting there and living every second while i was there- but i never gave a moments thought to being back in the real world-and being here in the south of england there are no decompression events that i can find...(i've spent hours looking )so it feels really good to find all of you.
thanks for listening, can't wait to be back home again!
playa love
Kim

Sondra

Hey Kim...

Post by Sondra » Fri Sep 17, 2004 11:52 am

I just felt like I should respond - I know that weird loneliness you get when you return and have no one to really share with. I was travelling with my kids when I first went to BM last year and then on the road again after - it was strange. Some things that helped me were to try to make regular life more like burning man - I started noticing things I didn't do because it wasn't "accepted" in normal life that I really wanted to do - and COULD do at burning man and I thougtht "why can't I do them?" Then I found this book in a bookstore in Arizona called "Astonish Yourself - 101 Experiments in the Philosophy of Everyday Life" that really helped me see normal time as possible playa time. Now I try to think of ways to explore living fully in my regular moments and I'm drawing interesting people towards me. Hope that helps some. Or you could put an open call to burners around the world to come stay with you - I'm sure you'd get some takers - hell - I'd love to come explore the art scene in England.

Sondra

kicklane

Post by kicklane » Fri Sep 17, 2004 12:24 pm

thank you thank you thank you- what you say makes me smile...i did go into town yesterday wearing my lime green crochet poncho over my sequined 'barcelona' top with my cowboy boots and a fuzzy purple hat and i felt the need to buy a fake flower to pin on top of it all and i smiled at everyone and was amazed at how good that felt...so i think i get what you're saying and it's possible and it keeps your skin tinglng in almost the same way it does in the desert....but then you have to go to the goddam supermarket to buy toilet paper and it feels so mundane you want to scream....
that, and i'm missing a boy who helped me just fly ...i can't talk to him from here 'coz that wasn't our agreement but it's harder to do when it's all for real
but i'll try the book and hell, if you're in the UK- look me up, i'd love to have burner's come visit- i wish i'd been better at giving out my real world info to the amazing people i met- next time
playa love
kim

Sondra

Post by Sondra » Fri Sep 17, 2004 12:34 pm

You know - there will be many who will help you fly - and other amazing things you didn't know you could do. And missing isn't so bad - it's just a deeper color than some of the rest. If you look closely, you'll see where it highlights your eyes. I play this game with myself - look closely at yourself in the mirror and soon the whole rest of the world begins disapearing and you see the faces of all your teachers and they're a part of you now. And read. And do things you wouldn't ordinarily do. If you usually go to rock concerts - go to a book discussion group. If you usually frequent the library - go hang with bikers. I think the magic you are seeking to reconnect with exists in the limits of your usual behavior. My experience anyway.

kicklane

for sondra

Post by kicklane » Fri Sep 17, 2004 12:53 pm

...so how did you get so wize?
thanks for talking, it's felt good. promise i'll try, i've been looking for a drum circle to join- having always told myself that i'm a musical moron -no joy yet but i will find something
and now i have to put my boys to bed 'coz it's night time here....
you're lovely
playa love
kim

Sondra

Re: for sondra

Post by Sondra » Fri Sep 17, 2004 1:13 pm

kicklane wrote:...so how did you get so wize?
thanks for talking, it's felt good. promise i'll try, i've been looking for a drum circle to join- having always told myself that i'm a musical moron -no joy yet but i will find something
and now i have to put my boys to bed 'coz it's night time here....
you're lovely
playa love
kim
Hanging out with bikers and scientists, rock concerts, book-discussion groups, group-groping, raising kids, burning man, buying LOTs of toilet paper (when you buy this AND three dozen bananas at the same time and nothing esle - it's not so boring), and not thinking I'm ever wise yet. You know - same as you.

Sondra

Casz

Post by Casz » Tue Sep 21, 2004 11:00 am

Hi I'm Cas I'm 17 and live in chattanooga tn, sadly I didn't read all the places on the forums and posted my intro in the wrong place. http://eplaya.burningman.org/viewtopic.php?t=7062
[color=red]To follow the path:
look to the master,
follow the master,
walk with the master,
see through the master,
become the master.[/color]

Casz

Post by Casz » Tue Sep 21, 2004 11:00 am

Hi I'm Cas I'm 17 and live in chattanooga tn, sadly I didn't read all the places on the forums and posted my intro in the wrong place. http://eplaya.burningman.org/viewtopic.php?t=7062

[color=red]To follow the path:
look to the master,
follow the master,
walk with the master,
see through the master,
become the master.[/color]

preburnkentucky

Post by preburnkentucky » Wed Sep 22, 2004 1:47 pm

:shock: OK have to stop peeking through the fence to see what's going on out there. As a newbie i am over planning my trip at the moment. In Kentucky but have travelled well recently in life. looking for something more participatory to do with my free time. BM has popped up a few times in odd searches for electronic info. Usually when I am searching for a how to on some quirky piece of camping gear. Won't be in NV next year, but planning for 2006. It'll be my 40th, and time for some radical recharging. I am on carreer # 4. Life path 73. Relayionship 4 (15 years and counting).
My major question at this stage of planning:
Is there any place in Reno that I can drop ship to and pick up my "gear" when i fly in? Currently thinking about a smaller dome (<8ft rad) along with required lighting and a misting system.
Looking forward to seeing what developes.
And NO you can not smoke BlueGrass!
Yes it is the 16th largest city in the United States!

preburnkentucky

Post by preburnkentucky » Wed Sep 22, 2004 1:48 pm

:shock: OK have to stop peeking through the fence to see what's going on out there. As a newbie i am over planning my trip at the moment. In Kentucky but have travelled well recently in life. looking for something more participatory to do with my free time. BM has popped up a few times in odd searches for electronic info. Usually when I am searching for a how to on some quirky piece of camping gear. Won't be in NV next year, but planning for 2006. It'll be my 40th, and time for some radical recharging. I am on carreer # 4. Life path 73. Relayionship 4 (15 years and counting).
My major question at this stage of planning:
Is there any place in Reno that I can drop ship to and pick up my "gear" when i fly in? Currently thinking about a smaller dome (<8ft rad) along with required lighting and a misting system.
Looking forward to seeing what developes.
And NO you can not smoke BlueGrass!
Yes it is the 16th largest city in the United States!

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Wed Sep 22, 2004 3:44 pm

There are groups that rent trucks and send them to the event--most notably from NYC. See if you can get some people together locally. (Isn't Ring of Fire from around there?) There are dedicated burners in Reno, you might strike up a friendship and work something out. There is the Burner Hostel which is more about getting people who fly in a ride out to the playa. I've been there during the event (trucked in some stuff for Hageymon--no one needed a ride) and my guess is that he doesn't have a lot of room to store others' stuff indefinately, espcially around event time.
http://www.blackrockburnerhostel.com/
Could you ship directly to a storage rental place and then pick up when you arrive? Seems to me that has to be possible--although maybe expensive.

dman

Post by dman » Wed Sep 22, 2004 5:31 pm

IIRC Greyhound was the recommended approach when this came up last time. You might do a search on drop ship and/or greyhound to see if you can find the thread(s).
"Yes, but is it art?" "No, Art is over there, on the couch."

froggy

Hi!

Post by froggy » Wed Sep 22, 2004 6:16 pm

Hey there.

Well, it's taken me years to come to this, but I am finally at a point in my life where I'm willing to make the sacrifices to do my first BM next year. Attending has been a dream/goal of mine since I first found out about the even about a decade ago. I figured now would be as good a time as any to get prepared and to begin thinking about all of the preparations, purchases and logistics in order to make it a reality. I'm not getting any younger.

A lot of other events I have attended or ran myself seem to have some of the elements of what I find attractive about this event. Specifically the concepts of a temporary com, munity based on concepts and a code of honor not found in traditional society.

I have already interested not only my wife (it wasn't that tough of a sell, although she will likely have to quit her current job to attend, which might not be a bad thing since she has skills and talents far exceeding what her current job requires and could probably find a new job for better wages upon her return), but also a few friends who, like me, have been teetering and pondering for years.

I have the means. I have the will. I have the love. The only person preventing ME from achieving my goals and attaining my own happiness is me.

I realize, too, that I am blessed enough to have the means and where-with-all to even consider attempting an endeavor such as this. I know it's going to be difficult and a strain not only on my budget, but on my body and my spirit. However, as I have learned over the short 28 years I've been alive, I have it pretty good. I am humbled and respect anyone who perhaps isn't as fortunate in the ways I am and who still manage to make the pilgrimage year in and year out. For that I am greatful and find true inspiritation and look forward to meeting and talking with as many of them and the other burners as I can.

That said, I want to say a quick thanks for everyone's comments bother here in the eplaya as well as to the organizers for putting together a very sensible and comprehensive website. I sense that information is the one true currency that will always be in play and it is the one currency most people often have a hard time giving up.

I have often held myself back from even considering attending due to the statements by veteran burners and outsiders who say, "Bah, why go. It's corporate," or, "it's not the same as it was N years ago," and other foolishness. No, it may not be the same, but like anything worth at least attempting to experience, I realize that this event is perhaps one of the most interesting explorations of a true organically expandinding and thriving community. I sit here on my porch now looking into the street in my relatively safe and comfortable neighboor in a quiet suburb on the outskirts of Cleveland and realize that right now I have spoken perhaps less than a dozen words to any of my neighbors. I am afraid to talk to them... afraid to to make contact if only because I don't want to be perceived as the "weird neighbor".

Being a renter, I less feel a part of my own community. This isn't mine, it cannot be mine, so why should I try to make it mine? Burning Man offers me to opportunity to make from nothing that which I admire, desire and, more importantly, NEED the very most. People. Not necessarily people whom I share a common background with either in socio-economics, trade or interests, but people whom I share a central need to at a minimum survive and beyond that thrive.

I am sorry for such a long post, but I felt it important to remind the jaded that while a lot of the newbies coming into the scene may be coming for the wrong reasons, there are still folks like me who want to make an honest effort to be contributing members of something bigger than myself in a place where I can contribute a part of my very being and know that, at the end, the results of which will likely be permanently swept away on the playa grit. The driving force will be knowing that the REAL mark will be left on the people I meet and touch along the way, and who touch and enrich me as well.

Wish me luck, you will probably see more posts from me over time. I appreciate your patience and understanding.

- Froggy

chineseobelisk

Post by chineseobelisk » Thu Sep 23, 2004 10:23 am

hey Froggy! as someone who has similarly dreamt of going for years and finally made 04, I will tell you that even before we were completely through the gate at midnight sunday, my travelling buddy and I looked at each other and said (a) I can't beleive I've never done this before and (b) I am never missing another one. Over the course of the week our experiences (corporate or not) only served to reinforce these initial sentiments. We had several other first timers in our camp of fifteen who echoed these thoughts as well. We are all very committed to doing an art peice and making our camp more inviting to others next year and (obviously) it is this brand of enthusiasm that will reshape BM in the future. Toward this end I wholeheartedly ecourage you to go and look forward to seeing you there.

calicowboy925

Post by calicowboy925 » Wed Sep 29, 2004 12:44 pm

Hello Im Eddie and a completely wild ball of energy who's been to many "alternative" events! Heck, I remember when the US festival was revolutionary! So, yeah, Black Rock City, NV is the most amazing, really opens your eyes to the love, even from the gnarliest peeps you'd never really associate with! I write my addy on any form people ask for that...2:45 Pluto...I gifted about 1500 blowpops....NO, not just to the hot chicks...I found people feeling low, tired, stoned, coming down from whatever....and it just brightened the scene..I remember this girl I gave one to at dawn after dancing all night, I can still see her face! I never knew her name, no words....I miss you guys sooo much! I do have a regular life, home, animals etc....but BM is my home...
Love and Laugh With Me!!!

Sensei

Post by Sensei » Wed Sep 29, 2004 4:39 pm

calicowboy925 wrote:Hello Im Eddie and a completely wild ball of energy who's been to many "alternative" events!
Is this where you lost your hearing?

Sensuosa

introduction

Post by Sensuosa » Wed Sep 29, 2004 5:07 pm

Good evening, here I sit in front of the computer, comtemplating what to say to all of you, and now I shall take my own advice. Don't think, just do.

As others have stated, for many years I thought about attending Burning Man, but I guess I just never had the opportunity or the balls..until now. And so I sit before the world declaring that I will be at Burning Man 2005.

Lots of reading to do, lots of recruitting to be done. My ultimate goal is to be part of the fire twirlers and share the energy and the experience. I don't know anybody that wants to go, would I go on my own? Should I go on my own if it comes to this..I still have a lot of homework to do, but this is the good kind I'm looking forward to doing.

Cheers to the creators/organizers. Thank you to all of you who make this happen every year..I know this sounds corny, but I do hope to establish some friends or contacts, cause it is a bit overwhelming trying to find the answers and plan the safest route to go about making this a successful experience.

From Barrie, Ontario Canada..have a great nite.
Sensa

Zulegoona

Post by Zulegoona » Wed Sep 29, 2004 7:33 pm

Welcome Sensuosa, It seems daunting and you need to know you really can't be totally prepared for the experience but you've already learned the most important thing there is to know about Burning Man. Just Do! Prepare as best you can, get to know people in your area and on e-playa but it will all come down to you and your personal experience your burning man will be different than anyone else's.........It is worth it!

keepercurrent

Find myself wishing for a chatroom in here

Post by keepercurrent » Wed Sep 29, 2004 8:34 pm

I see that there are always people looking around, yet it's so empty being here,compared to being there! Ahhhhhhhhhh, I wanna find people and start making ART! Anyone have any bright idea's?

regynalonglank

Post by regynalonglank » Mon Oct 04, 2004 11:29 am

we could all make a piece of something and then put it together on playa...if it was made out of wood we could burn it.

it could be like an art project potluck...you bring legs, i'll bring arms...an exquisite corpse online!
\v/

/ \

just listen to the drum

Sondra

Post by Sondra » Mon Oct 04, 2004 11:41 am

regynalonglank wrote:we could all make a piece of something and then put it together on playa...if it was made out of wood we could burn it.

it could be like an art project potluck...you bring legs, i'll bring arms...an exquisite corpse online!
Oooh - I'm loving that idea. I was thinking of doing that while I was traveling - setting up in a city and just starting to build something from found objects in a pulic place and then asking people to bring meaningful things to add to a collaborative public sculpture project.
I have a perfect thing to add to this too - a great wood burl totem I picked up on the coast in Oregon last year.

regynalonglank

Post by regynalonglank » Mon Oct 04, 2004 11:58 am

a great wood burl totem
Cool! maybe that could be the head...

the biggest job would be making a platform to put it on so we could burn it. either that or we have to keep it small enough to be able to carry it over to a burn platform...
\v/

/ \

just listen to the drum

Trishya333

Any other new burners out there. Introduce yourselves.

Post by Trishya333 » Fri Oct 15, 2004 2:41 am

Okay Rabbi t,
Newbie, recently joined and solidly hooked. Why didn't I listen to my friends 4, 3, 2 years ago : ' trish it's YOU!' (sigh)?
I missed the hippies, made it to disco, lost out on The Dead and have always thought that our ever evolving society is sorely lacking a sence of community. A home for creative loving wierdos may have been the goal long ago ( or now?), or perhaps a simple tribal cleansing, whatever. It has become a mega event with almost too much to offer, but something for almost everyone. My only regret is starting now. Why wasn't I there on Baker beach...But compared to the neverending tv channels trying to seduce us, or day to day crap, I can hardly wait until next year.
It's kinda funny, I tried to plan my trip so well, some of it was valid (survival stuff) most not (maps of music, pancakes and bloodymaries)(I just wandered around and had a great time),
but next time I just want to plan better.

what was the question?
Me? I'ma creative loving wierdo who found a home.
sounds abit cultish, don't you think?
My official nickname is Moop.
I'M MOOP!

Scootypuff Jr.

Post by Scootypuff Jr. » Fri Oct 22, 2004 9:43 pm

While doing random searches on the internet a couple days ago, I came across the Burning Man website and began to search through it. I read some of the pages and looked at many of the pictures from past BM's....I don't know what to say; I was amazed at what I saw. Right now i'm currently attending High School as a junior and just to say I am one of those people you would least expect to express theirself. Because of this I was thinking that I would never fit into something like Burning Man. Then I started thinking about how this problem of suppressing myself has made my social life miserable.....So I decided that sometime like 2007 or 2008 I would attend my first BM hopefully it will help me get in touch with myself. ^_^

Zulegoona

Post by Zulegoona » Sat Oct 23, 2004 12:31 am

Scootypuff Jr.

Good to hear your thinking about it, Burning Man is many different things and many different kinds of people. I went alone this my first year, and ended up camping with 4 Biologists, a math instructor and a computer network salesman, as well as some artists. I made some good friends witch isn't that easy for someone who's as horribly introverted as I am.

Gee as a guy that’s almost 49 having mentoring words for a young dude aren't I suppose to say something about staying in school studying hard, and getting good grades..... not a bad idea but really good advise would be to get involved before you go with a regional group, or at least sign up to do some as a volunteer before you go. I didn't and kind of wish I had now, I think it would have pulled me into the community faster and given me a more full experience.

Scootypuff Jr.

Volunteering?

Post by Scootypuff Jr. » Sat Oct 23, 2004 7:59 am

Zulegoona,

I was definitley thinking about doing something like that before i went to my first Burning Man. It's a real shame that I just started to do volunteer work my Junior year in high school. Right now i'm part of Kiwanis international and part of our local chapters key club. I joined it because I wanted to start giving back to the community that has helped me become what I am today. I'm happy that I am doing such a thing and also becasue I'm getting the hang of the volunteer work thing.

I havent finished reading up on things yet about Burning Man but I would like to know what kind of volunteer opportunities there are when attending. lol also about the giving advice of staying in school; i would never drop out because of how well i have been doing...4.1 for my GPA. :)

Return to “The Greeter's Station”