Hello and Welcome... What's your name? Tell me about You...

Start here - tell us about yourself and what brings you to ePlaya.
dr.placebo
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Cleu Camp

Post by dr.placebo » Fri Oct 29, 2004 7:37 pm

I'm a six-time burner but new to e-playa. I live in Santa Cruz and work in Palo Alto. I'm a white guy over 50 [genuine stereotype], a techie [ditto], and married (spouse is supportive but not a burner). I go for the community and the art, and to dance and drum.

I discovered Burning Man on the net in late 1998. Within a few weeks I found friends and coworkers who had been there. Everything I heard made me want to go (even the difficult stuff). I went (solo the first time), fell in love with the place, made plenty of playa friends, and I keep returning.

The Burning Man ideals, and the brave attempt to meet those ideals, makes me so happy to be a burner. I'm not blind to the flaws, but I love the essence.

Love to you all.

tonytohono

Post by tonytohono » Thu Nov 04, 2004 10:48 pm

My name is Anthony, but many people call me Tony. I have also been known as TwoBody at times because my name is two body parts (Toe and Knee). I was a virgin until this year, but I was helping out with projects involving doors and lots of flammables back in 1994. At that time I thought the idea of going out in the desert during the summer months was absofuckinglutely insane. I am not a fan of the heat, but with the help lots of ice and lots of vodka, and 300 some odd aspirin I got through it this year. It was the even better than the real thing, and the real thing is a dream that I can visit at any time, in any place. I go there often whilst I run. The imagination is a powerful existence and if not for it I would have given up many years ago.

I love people, places and things like music, art, and anything else I, or for that matter, anyone uses to express theirself. I like taking pictures and there are quite a few images from BM on my site, and many more to come. The past couple of days have been difficult for me to accept, so I have spent many hours here and have been relying on my fellow burners to pull me through. Thank you from the center of my existence.

PS- I feel honored to be amongst such esteemed company. Yes, we all have our differences, but that we can accept that, and make the most of it makes this community the most special, and the most precious of all.

PPS- Ivy, I don't know whose bottom that is, but it sure is cute.

gigglesnort

Post by gigglesnort » Sat Nov 06, 2004 4:36 pm

My name is Christine, I've never been to a burn, and I cannot recall exactly where or when I first heard some report of it, but this year I felt completely compelled to seek out this site during the final days of your time there and like a new lover has been on my mind ever since. I am a single mother of three (!), I type right here via internet all day and all night (I exaggerate not, chained I am to the keyboard).

I've spent practically my whole life right here in central arkansas, and I've spent practically my whole life with a feeling of homesickness, to lesser or greater degrees, and having nothing to do with this physical location other than knowing without a doubt this is not where I'm *from*.

Anyhow, not much of a social life, chained to the computer, with a huge crush-from-afar on this whole thing that is burning man, with some (small, I'm sure) measure of intellectual impression of it all from what I've read, and a huge emotional response.

And thanks Zulegunie, Zuluguru, (sp?) for reaching out, as I've always been a bit intimated by addressing a crowd.

Zulegoona

Post by Zulegoona » Sat Nov 06, 2004 7:31 pm

gosh, your welcome. :oops:

Badger

Post by Badger » Sat Nov 06, 2004 8:31 pm

Is this a 'personals' column?
Desert dogs drink deep.

Isotopia

Post by Isotopia » Sat Nov 06, 2004 8:39 pm

It is now Badger.

Ms. Isotopia's personal:
Looking for gloating, sanctimonious Republican hypocrite who seeks having their ass drilled like it was the last parcel of unspoiled ANWR (Arctic National Wildlife Reserve) land in North America by angry, disillusioned bay area Democrat and soon to be Canadian dwelling expatriate.

You: self-loathing, Lexus worshipping, closet case hell-bent on believing your obsession with cock is just a ‘phase’ that you’ll pass through until you can muster the requisite finances to dupe your hometown sweetheart into marrying you. Special consideration allotted to clean cut, church going fundamentalist who preys (oops) prays for the souls of underage choir boys while jacking on your prayer stick like some aging, closeted Bishop at a boys 5th grade swim meet. Extra points if you’re a nelly, Log Cabin apologist that jerks off on pics of Milton Friedman. You’re a poseur - and you know it. A hypocrite - and you know it. A big ass, nelly faggot that wants his ass stuffed harder than a Florida ballot box.

Me: Older, cocky, mid-40s loud-mouthed faggot with a general contempt for tight-ass, closeted Republican pretty boys seeks to re-educate you with my own version of ‘supply side’ economics. I am a versatile, You’re lame. You know one sexual position and that’s lying on your spine-free backside with your feet in the air while you fantasize getting poled up the pooper by John Maynard Keynes and recite the stations of the cross like it was some goddamn ‘Friends’ re-run that you’ve watched for the 17th fucking time just to take your marginally functioning brain off the fact that you like cock. Admit it pussy; you want Demo dick.

I'm not a '10' and am not seeking one. In fact I eschew such
creatures-unless you're married and there's a remote chance that I can
ruin your marriage. General interests include fucking and then 'outing' closeted members of the clergy after, burning tires in front of the local RNC office and playing "scratch the
Mercedes."

The possibility of a companionship situation with you is fairly unlikely seeing as I’d probably stab you (or myself) in the throat after the first week of having to suffer through your monosyllabic tirades about how queers are ruining it for everyone.

You get the idea.

If this sounds interesting to you drop me a line and we can discuss things further you pathetic asshat. Look forward to hearing from you.

Mister Jellyfish Mister

Welcome

Post by Mister Jellyfish Mister » Sun Nov 07, 2004 7:59 am

gigglesnort wrote:My name is Christine, I've never been to a burn, and I cannot recall exactly where or when I first heard some report of it, but this year I felt completely compelled to seek out this site during the final days of your time there and like a new lover has been on my mind ever since. I am a single mother of three (!), I type right here via internet all day and all night (I exaggerate not, chained I am to the keyboard).

I've spent practically my whole life right here in central arkansas, and I've spent practically my whole life with a feeling of homesickness, to lesser or greater degrees, and having nothing to do with this physical location other than knowing without a doubt this is not where I'm *from*.

Anyhow, not much of a social life, chained to the computer, with a huge crush-from-afar on this whole thing that is burning man, with some (small, I'm sure) measure of intellectual impression of it all from what I've read, and a huge emotional response.

And thanks Zulegunie, Zuluguru, (sp?) for reaching out, as I've always been a bit intimated by addressing a crowd.
Hi Christine and welcome. What kind of endeavor chains you to a computer day and night? Sounds like you were assimilated by the Borg and a Star Trek TNG episode. Cheers!
Art cred: Georgie Boy 2011: www.mutantvehicle.com/georgie_boy.htm ; Ein Hammer 2010; Fluffer 2009; Zsu Zsu 2008; U-Me 2007; Mantis 2006; MiniMan and Pikes Of Paranoia 2005; Time Machine Mutant Vehicle 2004. www.MutantVehicle.com

sonic

Post by sonic » Sun Nov 07, 2004 10:21 am

Hello theree! I'm Sonic on the playa, Sarah the rest of the time. I live in Santa Cruz, CA. I just graduated from UCSC with a B.S. in Earth Science and I'm looking for a geology related job. I volunteer a whole bunch and am really enjoying not being in school.

I've been to BM the last three years and i truly consider BM to be my home. It's the most wonderful and magical place on earth where I feel I can really be me and can really have fun like no where else. I love all the people I've met, and even the ones I haven't. It's the people who make BM so wonderful. So thank you everyone!
“Be a first rate version of yourself, not a second rate version of someone elseâ€

samtzu

Post by samtzu » Sun Nov 07, 2004 11:40 am

Isotopia wrote:

It is now Badger.

Ms. Isotopia's personal:
Looking for gloating, sanctimonious Republican hypocrite who seeks having their ass drilled like it was the last parcel of unspoiled ANWR (Arctic National Wildlife Reserve) land in North America by angry, disillusioned bay area Democrat and soon to be Canadian dwelling expatriate.

You: self-loathing, Lexus worshipping, closet case hell-bent on believing your obsession with cock is just a ‘phase’ that you’ll pass through until you can muster the requisite finances to dupe your hometown sweetheart into marrying you. Special consideration allotted to clean cut, church going fundamentalist who preys (oops) prays for the souls of underage choir boys while jacking on your prayer stick like some aging, closeted Bishop at a boys 5th grade swim meet. Extra points if you’re a nelly, Log Cabin apologist that jerks off on pics of Milton Friedman. You’re a poseur - and you know it. A hypocrite - and you know it. A big ass, nelly faggot that wants his ass stuffed harder than a Florida ballot box.

Me: Older, cocky, mid-40s loud-mouthed faggot with a general contempt for tight-ass, closeted Republican pretty boys seeks to re-educate you with my own version of ‘supply side’ economics. I am a versatile, You’re lame. You know one sexual position and that’s lying on your spine-free backside with your feet in the air while you fantasize getting poled up the pooper by John Maynard Keynes and recite the stations of the cross like it was some goddamn ‘Friends’ re-run that you’ve watched for the 17th fucking time just to take your marginally functioning brain off the fact that you like cock. Admit it pussy; you want Demo dick.

I'm not a '10' and am not seeking one. In fact I eschew such
creatures-unless you're married and there's a remote chance that I can
ruin your marriage. General interests include fucking and then 'outing' closeted members of the clergy after, burning tires in front of the local RNC office and playing "scratch the
Mercedes."

The possibility of a companionship situation with you is fairly unlikely seeing as I’d probably stab you (or myself) in the throat after the first week of having to suffer through your monosyllabic tirades about how queers are ruining it for everyone.

You get the idea.

If this sounds interesting to you drop me a line and we can discuss things further you pathetic asshat. Look forward to hearing from you.
Iso... I have just fallen in love with you!
The revolutionary does not grow up because he cannot grow, while the creative individual cannot grow up because he keeps growing ~~ Eric Hoffer

gigglesnort

Post by gigglesnort » Sun Nov 07, 2004 6:31 pm

Mr. Mister Jellyfish, I type medical reports (Medical Transcriptionist) all day long and all night sometimes, too, for a heart hospital here in little ole Little Rock, Arkansas, from my humble home in the hood (!).

Mr. Tzu, I think I just fell in love with you (I had already fallen for Iso,*shudders* would that I were a young Republican buck, but alas, just (?) me ....

I would make fancy quotes and things if I knew how to.....but despite working via computer, I'm really quite the novice.

binaryuplink
Burning Since: 2003

Post by binaryuplink » Sun Nov 07, 2004 7:54 pm

hi my name is jeff and im a anthropology student from norco california

i discoverd burning man one day while i was out on a drive i saw it and thought this looks like a good place to eat and low and behold it had a b heath grade and lousy service. so i kidnaped my waitress and held her hostage for a used twinky wraper and have been back to celabrate the anversary of my first kidnaping everseince
blea!!!

Dusty Balls

Post by Dusty Balls » Thu Nov 18, 2004 7:19 pm

test....

Dusty Balls

Post by Dusty Balls » Thu Nov 18, 2004 7:36 pm

I am me.

I went to Burning Man.

I helped start Radio Free Burning Man in 1994.

I worked with DPW in 1999 and 2000.

I no longer go to Burning Man.

Why?

I am a bitter jaded old fart who thinks it was better before the 24/7 thudthudthudsssssssssboomsssssssboomssssssssboomthud thud thud thud of rave camps.

I am scared for our country when they vote for George Bush because of morals...his morals aren't exactly what I would call divine if you ask me.

I am now building a personal infrastructure that I ignored for years by living my life in a chatic chemically induced stupor of a fuzzed out daydream for too many years(not that it wasn't fun at times,but it was becoming a detriment rather than an enhancement at a certain point)

I have been clean and sober since about two weeks after leaving Burning Man in 2,000(Coincidence????)

I remember where I put my car keys now.

I hope the artists can take back Burning Man(But I seriously think it is way too late,and they should just pull up stakes(the ones who are left anyhow)start a new event,and let the rave camps have it,since it has been slowly(quickly?)eroding in that direction since about 98 or so.....

And that is a little about me.

Less Rave More Anything!!!! :twisted:

Zem

Post by Zem » Fri Nov 26, 2004 10:02 am

Hola
my name is Zem and i'm a virgin burner ( i live in canada i havent even been across the border). Many years ago (like..5) my family, consisting of me,my older brother,my little sister and my mother returned to are humble abode in central ontario from a 3 week car trip to B.C (for all u people who aren't geography buffs Ontario is in the middle of Canada and B.C is on the west coast)it was 1 oclock in the morning but i was to wired to sleep so i flipped on the T.V and landed on a documentary called "the Juicy Danger show mets Burningman". That was my introduction to Burningman and i have been in love ever since ,unfortuanetly I was just a little 13 year old girl at the time and couldn't convince my super conservative mother to take me. But this year i turned 18 and iam rearing and ready to go in 2005. where to stay and what to do is still an unknown in my head but i have all year to figure that out.

now that u know my motives for wanting to be a burner u should know a little about me. i live in Penetanguishene Ontario (home of a super jail, institute for the criminally insane and the only independent french community outside of Quebec, things to be proud of (for those who cant tell thats sarcasm)) my real name is Kate but Zem is the shortened version of my belly dancing name Zemvira and i prefer it sometimes. im a 6 foot tall ass kicking amazon and i have an affinity for piercings and tattoos (like so many teens).

ok enough about me
Adios
Zem :wink:
"a good traveller has no fixed plans and is not intent on arriving" -Lao Tzu

Rockdrummer

I am the Rockdrummer from San Diego, California.

Post by Rockdrummer » Sat Nov 27, 2004 8:31 pm

I have never been to BM and hope to next year. I am thinking of building a small stage and performing live music for all to enjoy. Is this something that would be accepted at BM? Either way I would like to go to the next festival. If anybody could let me know some info on this topic please reply.

Thanks,

Rockdrummer............. 8) [/img][/code]

ChiLeaN/WaSTeD

Post by ChiLeaN/WaSTeD » Thu Dec 02, 2004 3:35 pm

Hello!!! My name is Italo, I'm from Chile (south america) but I'm living in DC right now, with my boyfriend who's Chilean too. First of all I must tell you that I have never been on the Burning Man. I heard of this a few months ago when I saw something on TV, I didn't understand what was it, but i thought it was like a huge party. And now is the second time that I hear of the BM, surfing on the internet I saw this info about a party on NYC ( Burning Man Decompression 2004). I came to the BM webpage and I start to read and see the pictures... I must tell you that I almost cry watching them... IT'S AMAZING. I've been in a party call "Earthdance" in Chile, it's very similar to this BM project, the earthdance it's a worldwide party. I just want to live this experience next year, but I would like to meet people who is part of this community, I want to know how is t, I would like to know if you have some music there too (I love electronic music, I love to dance). I don't know what to do, I just want to go there, it seems like a beautiful place... Is there some raver that could write me to ask him a lot of questions about the Burning Man? OK... I HOPE TO SEE YOU NEXT YEAR... TAKE CARE... BYE!

creoleflame

Post by creoleflame » Fri Dec 03, 2004 12:21 am

peace and blessings...
my name is shelley and i am from new orleans. one of my goals in life is to experience burning man in person. for the moment, i will continue to live it through all of you...
...but i am on my way, hopefully in 2005!
"Do, or do not. There is no try."
- Yoda, Jedi Master

sputnik
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Ubercarney

Post by sputnik » Sat Dec 04, 2004 7:12 am

creoleflame wrote:peace and blessings...
my name is shelley and i am from new orleans. one of my goals in life is to experience burning man in person. for the moment, i will continue to live it through all of you...
Welcome Shelly. But follow your sig. Do, or do not. You will make it. If not this year, then next. It took me 4 years to get there, now I can't imagine not going.
It's going to be alright.

Skull

Post by Skull » Mon Dec 06, 2004 5:34 pm

Hi there! My name is Mario. I am sitting in Chicago. I went to BM for the first time this year. I am still in awe of it. Despite all the things that went wrong from a planning point of view, I still had a heart-awakening experience. I had leaned of BM years ago from other artist friends. A friend of mine and I decided that we had to go. That was in '98. Our dream came true finallly this year. It was very difficult and exhausting. I was crying, screaming and throwing fits of rage everytime something went wrong with our installations, our camp and our friendship. I even made the mistake of getting carried away with celebrating when we got there and I quickly found myself dehydrated and in shock whilst trying to erect our shade structure. I collapsed and couldn't even keep water down. It was pretty bad. But you know it was all worth it. I still had a great time, I still got to show some of my work and get lots of responses to it. Coming on the heels of a bitter divorce, I couldn't have been in a worse frame of mind for communing with others. But I met more wonderful souls in one week than I was aware even existed in my whole life. People I didn't know came and rescued us. They helped us with our camp, gave us more rope and steel stakes. and even tended to my dehydration and helped me back to the land of the living. I repeatedly thanked them for their generousity, but what I didn't thank them for was for a renewed faith in humanity and new perspective. For that I am eternally indebted. Thank you.
Do you have to open graves to find girls to fall in love with?

sparkletarte

Post by sparkletarte » Mon Dec 06, 2004 8:31 pm

Hi to all of you new people! Come on and start chatting with us on some of the other threads...

Hey Italo, just to let you know in advance, there are people who are not so happy about the huge party/rave part of BM, but you also included the community/experience part, so that's good. And yes, there's lots of music and dancing of all sorts. And other stuff.

I would love to go to Chile.

arc_of_the_horizon

Hello

Post by arc_of_the_horizon » Tue Dec 07, 2004 12:50 pm

Hi, My name is Kate, I live in Jersey, southern.... Looking forward to meeting more burners. Hoping to attend my first Burn this coming year. I have friends that go and think its time for me to join them.

rebeccadahling

Brooklyn Burner Newbie

Post by rebeccadahling » Wed Dec 08, 2004 12:47 am

hello everyone! so...the universe has been shouting at me to join the burn for awhile in many forms and friends and 2005 is going to be the year. hella super duper psyched.

I'm 22...living in Williamsburg, Brooklyn and have more jobs than you can shake a stick at to make the rent including catering at the UN and doing dominatrix work at a dungeon down in the financial district (so all the bankers can get spanked) among other less interesting pursuits.

Ummm...I make a great leek quiche and Gillian Welch is my current musical obsession.

Any NYC burners out there on the eplaya? I'm sure there are...or is there a regional website or something along those lines?

III

Post by III » Wed Dec 08, 2004 5:18 am

there is a new york reginoal. http://regionals.burningman.com/us_ny_nyc.html

say hi to tigger for me if you run into her...
[url]http://3playa.cultureshark.net/[/url]

Mister Jellyfish Mister

New blood

Post by Mister Jellyfish Mister » Wed Dec 08, 2004 7:31 am

Welcome to all the new blood. We're glad to have you here.

Since ticket sales and the "Psyche" theme were announced, I am sensing a buzz of excitement on lots of the boards so your timing in joining us was great. Don't be afraid to shake things up around here.

Cheers from Sparks, Nevada.
Art cred: Georgie Boy 2011: www.mutantvehicle.com/georgie_boy.htm ; Ein Hammer 2010; Fluffer 2009; Zsu Zsu 2008; U-Me 2007; Mantis 2006; MiniMan and Pikes Of Paranoia 2005; Time Machine Mutant Vehicle 2004. www.MutantVehicle.com

sparkletarte

Post by sparkletarte » Sun Dec 19, 2004 2:46 pm

HEY YOU! You! That's right- I see you new people registering out there. Come on and tell us about yourselves.

killercrash26

Tell me the what the good word is?

Post by killercrash26 » Sun Dec 19, 2004 5:43 pm

Hey all,
I cant believe it took me this long to find my calling. I have never been so excited about anything in my life. I guess its been from always being the weird one of my so-called 'friends' , now i find myself looking at the pictures and being able to see myself with people with the same emotiions in there eyes. Very glad to be here...im a newbie to this and i cant wait to go in 2005....plus its only a week before christmas. I have found the quest of a lifetime and its already callin me. Please hit me up, im always down for good conversation, and to hear anything else. I am around South Bend, Indiana...so anyone around this area?!?
-Crash
'You buy the ticket...you take the ride'

hedmekanik

Now, I've not been but DAMN, I wanna go....

Post by hedmekanik » Mon Dec 20, 2004 8:24 am

Hey - I'm hedmekanik, 31, afropean in South Africa. Now, I've not been to BM but DAMN, I wanna go....it simply seems (by my observations and attendant listening to those who've been) that this is a gravitous and noble venture, if you'll pardon the Don-Kingisms.
So, I really wanna be there next year.
Rock on, good crazies.
hm
hedmekanik is your average exceptional afropean on a mission to save the world inch by difficult inch

Buck Mangrove

Post by Buck Mangrove » Tue Dec 28, 2004 4:07 pm

The future's uncertain and the end is always near...

Buck Mangrove

Post by Buck Mangrove » Tue Dec 28, 2004 4:12 pm

I'm not sure what happened with my last post, but I was asking if you have been involved with the N.O. regional network. I've been to the web page, but the info looks to be a few years old.
The future's uncertain and the end is always near...

Aldebaran

Post by Aldebaran » Thu Dec 30, 2004 8:18 am

Hey there.
I stumbled across Burning Man a few years back but never found the courage or hard earned cash to fly half way across the world to be part of something that I think is truly outstanding.
Since then I have met a most excellent friend that has agreed to help guide me the way from Scotland to BM (and back I hope!) Last year was his first burn and with the stories and smiles I get from him I couldnt miss out any longer. So nothing is going to stop 2005 being my first burn.

I just cant wait to meet so many new friends and just do alot of grinning!
Better to burn out than to fade away...

Return to “The Greeter's Station”