Hello and Welcome... What's your name? Tell me about You...

Start here - tell us about yourself and what brings you to ePlaya.
5x5

Post by 5x5 » Fri Jan 07, 2005 3:36 pm

hey!

I found out about Bman last year, gave it half a thought. this year, a friend said the tickets went on sale and i have been obsessed with trying to attend! if not 05, then definitely 06 and i'll plan ahead!!

i live in northern nj, have a very boring career (engineering), and many creative ambitions. i tend to do more crafts than art - jewelry (metal working and lampworking, as well as the normal beads and stuff), knitting, soaps, candles, etc, etc, etc. i'm pagan, and other hobbies are reading, Reiki, crystals, etc. (i have a LOT of interests - jack of all trades, master of... well i am technically a Reiki Master, so i can't say master of none! :lol:)

anyway - great to meet everyone, i've been studying the boards to absorb all the wisdom i can!

bb-
5x5

dragonflyannie
Burning Since: 2000

Post by dragonflyannie » Fri Jan 07, 2005 3:39 pm

welcome 5x5! hopefully it will change your life in positive ways like it has so many! try and make it this year! you won't regret it.

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Fri Jan 07, 2005 3:39 pm

Ha! good to see a lampworker. I've done a fair amount of fusing, and am about to buy a new kiln. IF I ever have $2000 burning a hole in my pocket, I'm DEFINATELY considering a minor burner. (Hey by that time there'll be a new standard in torches, I'm sure.) We had glass makers out there in 03, and probably last year too, I'm just not sure because I was barely there. Welcome.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

5x5

Post by 5x5 » Fri Jan 07, 2005 4:31 pm

Thanks!

I'm new at lampworking and only doing it on a small scale for beads. but yeah, all my hobbies tend to be addictive and expensive! (i had a horse for a while! that really burned money.) and then i spend more than i should considering i stop doing that and move on to something else in a year :lol:

Mister Jellyfish Mister

Post by Mister Jellyfish Mister » Fri Jan 07, 2005 4:35 pm

5x5 wrote:Thanks!

... all my hobbies tend to be addictive and expensive! (i had a horse for a while! that really burned money.) and then i spend more than i should considering i stop doing that and move on to something else in a year :lol:
You'll fit right in, 5x5. You just described half of us. Welcome home.
Art cred: Georgie Boy 2011: www.mutantvehicle.com/georgie_boy.htm ; Ein Hammer 2010; Fluffer 2009; Zsu Zsu 2008; U-Me 2007; Mantis 2006; MiniMan and Pikes Of Paranoia 2005; Time Machine Mutant Vehicle 2004. www.MutantVehicle.com

creoleflame

moving to houston...

Post by creoleflame » Sat Jan 08, 2005 10:57 pm

no, i am not. i would have to hook up with someone in houston because i am on my way there in a few weeks. got any suggestions or contacts for me in texas? it seems that tickets are moving quite fast, huh? will you burn this year?
Buck Mangrove wrote:
creoleflame wrote:peace and blessings...
my name is shelley and i am from new orleans. one of my goals in life is to experience burning man in person. for the moment, i will continue to live it through all of you...
...but i am on my way, hopefully in 2005!
I'm not sure what happened with my last post, but I was asking if you have been involved with the N.O. regional network. I've been to the web page, but the info looks to be a few years old.
"Do, or do not. There is no try."
- Yoda, Jedi Master

blueniteowl

I just wanted to annouce myself ...

Post by blueniteowl » Tue Jan 11, 2005 1:52 am

I' m taking this opportunity to say "hi" and annouce myself to the burning man community. It's like the old days where girls had coming out parties to annouce themselves to the world. I've chatted with a few other locals so far, but would like this opportunity to say a few words. I have dreamed about burning man for the last few years after seeing a tv show about the 2000 event. The last year hasn't been much of a picnic for me and in August I broke my leg in a car accident. I have chosen to think of that experience as a valuable life lesson and have made the decision to pursue me dreams instead of just idly sitting by and dreaming. I hope to make it to burning man in 2005. I've got seven months to save and plan. Unfortunatly I'm not starting out well, because as of this moment I don't have a job yet. But I'm trying. Now, if anyone has any bits of wisdom they would like to impart. I would gladly hear them. Lastly, I challenge everyone to live everyday to the best of their ability, and if they have any hints about doing that, to share with the rest of us. Thanks for reading.

punkette229

Post by punkette229 » Fri Jan 21, 2005 8:07 pm

:D 2005 will be my first year to burning man. I am dragging (willingly) my room mate along with me. We met some random guy in Mix-In (a ice cream shop in Seattle) who told us that we were required to make it to BM at least once in our lives. So we are going lol. :D A hot desert with plenty of cool easy going people, a giant statue of fire, and all the partying you could take. I think we'll be abel to handle it, who knows we might even enjoy ourselves. :wink: If anyone has any advice on what to bring, where to go, or what to wear, I will gladly listen!

Tancorix

Post by Tancorix » Fri Jan 21, 2005 8:21 pm

Three years ago I was in the same position and the advice I was given then holds true today. Go to the main BM website, read the survival guide and first timer's guide, then come back to the eplaya and look at the various thread topics. There's a virtual treasure trove of info around here if you're willing to dig. Once you've done that if you have more questions...then ask.

BM4LIFE

Ryan Laplante 24 M single Fire, skate, sound, video, glass.

Post by BM4LIFE » Mon Jan 24, 2005 11:51 am

Hello everyone :), I am originally from hawaii, Moved to oregon 6 years ago, finished college. I have been skateboarding for 11 years and firedancing 2 months. I pick up on things that I obsess over very quickly and I have too many skills to do more then one or 2 things a day. I try to make 20 pipes every day, and I try to practice poi every day for a trance cd. If I finish early I can go skateboarding or mess around on the computer. I live in Ashland Oregon Mylife is crazier then anymovie and I love it. Thanks for checking me out, be the reason you go to burning man.
BM has tought me to love myself. BE THE REASON YOU GO TO BURNINGMAN.

cbdancin2

Post by cbdancin2 » Tue Jan 25, 2005 9:23 pm

Hello All! This will be my first burn. I have been scoping out this site and getting information about the festival for a little over a year. 05 is my year! As of now I have no definate plans but hope to get involved with a camp. I got my ticket and can't wait to meet ya'll on the playa.

Peace Corbett
There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats. -Albert Schweitzer

LoDI

Post by LoDI » Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:31 am

hI! im LoDI. '05 will be my 2'nd burn, but i still feel like a virgin! Sadly' my'04 crew did not have fun[gasp!] so i wandered solo for ten days! I met !INCREDIBLE! people and never once felt lonely tho. anticipatingly yours........[/b]

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:34 am

LoDI--you in Arkansaw? We have a couple of your locals if so.

Named after a Town in California?

Welcome.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.

LoDI

Post by LoDI » Thu Jan 27, 2005 12:09 pm

Not Arkansas, Missouri bootheel. Just moved from Seattle. Whoa! But Arkansas so' 'nuf close, and everyone I know here looks nervous when I talk about BRC, which I can't stop doing. heehee. also, I'm wondering, when I have my ticket, supplies,[big tent,big bike etc.] how the ****will I get my lil' ass out there! P.S. I'm just learning how to use this confounded contraption, so please laugh at all my mistakes.

Lovingly,LoDI.

gigglesnort

Post by gigglesnort » Thu Jan 27, 2005 1:06 pm

Hi LoDI! I'm in Little Rock. Whereabouts in Misery are you? I have family there somewhere. I'm starting to get things together to go out this year, my virgin burn!!!

LoDI

Post by LoDI » Thu Jan 27, 2005 2:44 pm

Hey gigglesnort! I'm in a teeny town called Marquand,about 2 hours south of St.Louis. I'm also starting to prepare now, because it's true that tickets are the simplest aspect of this adventure! I was lucky last year, cuz my roomate had been once before. he knew how to keep us comfortable there,which is no small thing! BUT participation was not on his list and I was very unprepared for that. This year will be different YEEHAW! Little Rock, Ive gone to crystal mines near you acouple times, and I plan on going this year before burn. maybe we can meet?

LoDI

gigglesnort

Post by gigglesnort » Thu Jan 27, 2005 3:07 pm

ooooo.....hang on, Lodi, I gotta go dig up my (somewhat estranged) father's address.....wow....

gigglesnort

Post by gigglesnort » Thu Jan 27, 2005 3:15 pm

.....Moberly, Missouri; but Marquand sounds really familiar for some reason. I had family in Sedalia for a long time, but they've moved back to Kansas. I also have cousins in MIssouri somewhere, but I forget. My grandpa lived in Ava when I was a little girl.

Anyhow, yay! Digging for crystals in arkansaw, we've got em! Let me know when you're coming! I've become obsessive over this Burning Man thing, and my friends can only take so much of it, too. We could obsess together, woo hoo!

Gold-E

Post by Gold-E » Thu Jan 27, 2005 8:20 pm

Hey all, wow my first post! I've heard about burning man for about 5 years now and i don't know why I haven't gone yet but I've finally come to realize that i've got to go. I finally registered my self here however I have frequent the BM page for quite a while......and just by reading the advice section along with the rest of the forum, it sounds like you guys are awesome! Lookin forward to meeting some of you...........anyways, im from Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. I'm part of the "raver - as some people would label it" community up here. saying that, I like to party on new levels....I think peacefully and openly and I belive BM is the next level for me to experience.....I understand people say It's not a "rave" but I can't wait to go to meet new people who share eachothers experiences. I also want to experience the temporary community. Everyone co operates together as a whole...That's awesome. All of you sound like a fun lovin bunch of people!

Rabbi Dali Rick

........Frauline, those are my cotton panties..........

Post by Rabbi Dali Rick » Fri Jan 28, 2005 11:08 am

Hi everybody. Image Glad you're all here. Anybody else out there?...... Come on we see you lurking around. Speak up and say hi!! Don't make me show up at your house, dress you up in black and white horizontaly striped socks, a sequined thong and a Pink Boa and floresent body paint, and make you go around to all you're neighbors begging for a cup of Crisco for you're camp project at this years Burningman. Now say Hi damnit and tell us about you're badself. Image

you're bestest pal,
the rebbi

Gypsy

Hi !!! Allready!

Post by Gypsy » Fri Jan 28, 2005 10:14 pm

Now when were you coming ,Let me pencil you in for at least.
I go by the name of Gypsy .Where from , Colo Spgs Area .I 'm a lot things and where many hat's . As to when is my Second burn It is
planned for 06. My first was the First Burn. As to how I feel about
Burning Man ,Well it well be like meeting old friend for the fist time
again!
Well met !!
Burnning Gypsy

Mister Jellyfish Mister

Gold-E

Post by Mister Jellyfish Mister » Sat Jan 29, 2005 8:22 am

Gold-E wrote:Hey all, wow my first post! I've heard about burning man for about 5 years now and i don't know why I haven't gone yet but I've finally come to realize that i've got to go. I finally registered my self here however I have frequent the BM page for quite a while......and just by reading the advice section along with the rest of the forum, it sounds like you guys are awesome! Lookin forward to meeting some of you...........anyways, im from Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. I'm part of the "raver - as some people would label it" community up here. saying that, I like to party on new levels....I think peacefully and openly and I belive BM is the next level for me to experience.....I understand people say It's not a "rave" but I can't wait to go to meet new people who share eachothers experiences. I also want to experience the temporary community. Everyone co operates together as a whole...That's awesome. All of you sound like a fun lovin bunch of people!
Welcome, Gold-E. I'm kind of an inverted you. I attended my first burn last year and that inspired me to go to my first rave in San Francisco afterward. It was great, but you are in for a major mind job at burning man.

Release your expectations and be in the moment... and don't forget to check out the survival pages here. Advice like "hydrate before you are thirsty" will serve you well as you dive into this fantastic new experience.

Cherrio from Sparks Nevada, just 2 hours south of the playa.
Art cred: Georgie Boy 2011: www.mutantvehicle.com/georgie_boy.htm ; Ein Hammer 2010; Fluffer 2009; Zsu Zsu 2008; U-Me 2007; Mantis 2006; MiniMan and Pikes Of Paranoia 2005; Time Machine Mutant Vehicle 2004. www.MutantVehicle.com

Gold-E

Post by Gold-E » Sat Jan 29, 2005 9:52 pm

mister jellyfish,

Thanx! I bet BM opened up your eyes to many things...just as being a raver opened up my eyes to many things that I was once blind to...I thrive for this stuff! I can't wait to check out BM! I want to meet many burners and share stories and experiences. I go to this annual 4 day ooutdoor rave called Shambhala nestled in the mountains of british columbia. Every year 8000 like minded individuals escape thier daily lives to be and do whatever they feel.....it's a very spiritual experience and I have to say anyone who goes to shambhala leaves a changed person......not to mention wikkid music all day and night on 7 different stages! I bet BM totally did this for you as sham did it for me! BM is my next level!

I'm looking forward to speaking will all of you......thanx mister jellyfish for the advice.....I'm gonna need to understand the in's and out's of survivng BM.[/quote]

Mister Jellyfish Mister

Post by Mister Jellyfish Mister » Sat Jan 29, 2005 10:40 pm

You betcha, Gold-E. Tell us more about the Sham. Got any web links we can dig?

killercrash26

Post by killercrash26 » Sun Jan 30, 2005 4:02 pm

Im crash,
Still sorta waitin to find more people around the Bend that are lookin to go to BM this year. I know i am getting anxious and yet there is more time then i know what to do with. This will be my first burn, and im still looking for ideas on camping or for shelter. As for the chance to be with people that have looked at things the same way as I, or feel like they fit at BM...im excited. Anyways, hit me up just to chat or keepin it motivated. I wanna hear stories of anything. :shock: Later.
-Crash
'You buy the ticket...you take the ride'

Gold-E

Post by Gold-E » Sun Jan 30, 2005 8:13 pm

mister jellyfish......

Check it out....maybe you will end up going one day! Who knows.....also check out the photo gallery!

www.shambhalamusicfestival.com

:D

Superkitten

Post by Superkitten » Sun Jan 30, 2005 11:23 pm

My name's Steve and I don't really have a playa name. I've attended Burning Man twice and it's been easily the most life-changing event I've experienced, but then, I'm young. Before Burning Man I was very socially awkward, and in many ways, still am, but I'm a lot more secure about my odd quirks now.

I enjoy fire dancing, and I spin staff and poi. And since Burning Man 2004, I've picked up on contact juggling, but I'm not very good yet.

Ranger Genius

Post by Ranger Genius » Mon Jan 31, 2005 7:31 am

Welcome to the Eplaya, steve. There's a thread with lots of playa name suggestions elsewhere on the board (here). Or you can drop by the bar and we'll come up with one for you if you don't find one there. I'm just learning to spin poi myself, and have always been fascinated by contact judging. Is it as difficult as it appears?
“We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.”

gigglesnort

Post by gigglesnort » Mon Jan 31, 2005 7:34 am

Steve, I..... was....gonnna.....say...... something.......(mesmerized by orbiting globes)

theCryptofishist

Re: Hi !!! Allready!

Post by theCryptofishist » Mon Jan 31, 2005 9:29 am

Gypsy wrote:Now when were you coming ,Let me pencil you in for at least.
I go by the name of Gypsy .Where from , Colo Spgs Area .I 'm a lot things and where many hat's . As to when is my Second burn It is
planned for 06. My first was the First Burn. As to how I feel about
Burning Man ,Well it well be like meeting old friend for the fist time
again!
Well met !!
Burnning Gypsy
Gypsy
If you haven't already checked out the regional section of this board, I believe you have some locals looking for contacts there.
Crypto
The Lady with a Lamprey

Return to “The Greeter's Station”