Hello and Welcome... What's your name? Tell me about You...

Start here - tell us about yourself and what brings you to ePlaya.
synchronicity

Post by synchronicity » Fri Mar 25, 2005 7:01 pm

I have not yet arrived at the Playa.
I answer to Synchro, or any derivative thereof. It does NOT refer to the album of the same name.
I'm in my late 40's, going on 18. I make machines function. 5 years off grid, at 6700 feet in the Southwest. I haul all of my own water, and dispose of my own graywater. My living room is lit with various "odd" xmas lights for mood lighting.
I attended 18 of the first 20 Telluride Bluegrass Festivals, most in Town Park - which is a weeklong camping extravaganza.
I spent 16 years chasing the Dead around with preference given to multi night stands.
My art project for the final in my aesthetics class in college was a modified Harley.
I play well with others.
Can I come play with you guys?
"I never know when I'm on the road to oblivion, I only know when I arrive."

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Mon Mar 28, 2005 8:26 am

Synchro
I don't think you'll have much of a problem finding play mates on playa.
Crypo
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

articmoon

Post by articmoon » Mon Mar 28, 2005 3:18 pm

Hi, I'm Articmoon, nicknamed after my cat Moon, (she liked sitting in the window while it was opened and it was cold out, so it stuck) I live in Pacifica, CA. A former SF person. This year (2005) is gonna be my first year. Definitly not sure what to expect, been through both 2004 and 2005 survival guides. My husband has gone two years in a row and I missed last years, so this year is my year. I am excited to go, been to decompression, it didn't thrill me as much as I expected, except the fire dancers/twirlers (not sure what they are called) were awesome! My husband is worried I won't like burning man, cause I am shy. But my curiosity is preventing me from chickening out. He assured me BM was much more fun. I can't wait to go.
>^,,^<

LeChatNoir

Post by LeChatNoir » Mon Mar 28, 2005 3:40 pm

Hey articmoon,

Welcome!!!

Despite what one might think from reading things here, I’m really very shy too in most cases, especially if I’ve not gotten to know you very well yet. I’m toying with the idea of a sort of “strays welcome” setup in our camp this year. Or maybe just a sign to wear that says the same thing. That way if somebody is ordinarily shy, that will hopefully assure them that they are more than welcome to just come right up and talk. Plus it’ll help me to interact with people too.

Not sure how I'll do it yet, but I'll figure something out that's funky and fun.
The New and Improved Black Cat... now with 25% more blather

spectabillis
Burning Since: 2020

Post by spectabillis » Mon Mar 28, 2005 3:50 pm

Welcome Arcticmoon, thanks for the intro. You can have a look around all you want, and if you just want to hang you might want to check out the bar thread.

garden gal gardenia

Post by garden gal gardenia » Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:31 pm

Hello...I am so excited about going to the playa for my first time this year.
I have wanted to attend Burning Man for a long time and finally decided that 2005 was the year to make it happen!
I will be attending with my husband and two college aged sons so I am certain we will have some interesting experiences out there on the playa.
We live in the PNW and I'm looking forward to the journey to BRC and meeting some great people and experiencing new sights and sounds once we arrive!

Peace/G.G.Gardenia

spectabillis

Post by spectabillis » Wed Mar 30, 2005 1:03 am

garden gal gardenia wrote:We live in the PNW ...
Welcome flower girl. Whats PNW?

Martiansky
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: --->Hushville

Post by Martiansky » Wed Mar 30, 2005 3:39 am

spectabillis wrote:
garden gal gardenia wrote:We live in the PNW ...
Welcome flower girl. Whats PNW?
I'm going to guess it means, Pacific North West

Welcome, Flower Girl!
So the theme this year is like a giant camp out in the desert? With people bringing lots of shit from all over? uh.. -Marscrumbs

spectabillis

Post by spectabillis » Wed Mar 30, 2005 4:30 am

Yeah, I finally got that but did not want to go back and edit it.

articmoon

Post by articmoon » Wed Mar 30, 2005 10:11 am

Meeting people here on the e-playa, is definitly helping me with feeling more comfortable about going. Everyone is so very nice. I look forward to this "vacation" to BRC.
>^,,^<

garden gal gardenia

Post by garden gal gardenia » Wed Mar 30, 2005 4:55 pm

Hey thanks for the welcome!
Yep you got it ----The Pacific Northwest is where I live!

Spectabillis----Your avatar is the most mesmerizing one that I have ever seen....very cool.

spectabillis

Post by spectabillis » Wed Mar 30, 2005 5:05 pm

garden gal gardenia wrote:Spectabillis----Your avatar is the most mesmerizing one that I have ever seen....very cool.

Thanks, and ironic because I was pretty 'mesmerized' when I made it.

Tamborinadanceandsing

Post by Tamborinadanceandsing » Thu Mar 31, 2005 11:44 am

Hello!! My husband and I are coming to BM all the way from Devon, UK. Very excited about it, a bit nervous too! But looking forward to the adventure! :shock: :D

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Thu Mar 31, 2005 11:46 am

Hello
Besure to check in on the regionals thread under general discussion, if you're looking for other brits to contact pre-journey.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.

Tamborinadanceandsing

Post by Tamborinadanceandsing » Thu Mar 31, 2005 12:06 pm

Right-oh! Will do! I have also contacted Fred with his special international burners hostel! :D

klao DNA

Post by klao DNA » Thu Mar 31, 2005 9:10 pm

greetz all !

My name is Rob AKA klao DNA AKA boron jive leper AKA (and so no and so on, etc....)

Been Burning every year since '99, former member of the now-disbanded Spoon Return Coalition..... been lurking about the E=Playa for some time now and I figured I might as well get off my ass and say "hi" to everyone - so "HI, EVERYONE !"

:)

Anyhow, when I am not at BM I cook seafood dor money and compose/create/produce as well as spin DJ sets experimental/ambient music... also I run a non-profit and completely free netlabel/musician's collective devoted to all forms of experimental music .... http://www.infinitesector.org if anyone is interested - ansd since everything we put out is completely 100% free I don't feel too bad about the plug ;)

Dabbled with a few installations in the past few years, but this year I am finally going to do it the way I want to (well, at least the way I want to that still fit's my budget.. hehe...) http://www.infinitesector.org/theaudilisk

anyhow, that's me - for the most part - have a wonderful Canadian wife who I met at BM in 2000 and lwas lucky enough to marry (again at BM) in 2003 - have a cat, way too many fish, and there ya go :)

much love !
::: rob

klao DNA

Post by klao DNA » Thu Mar 31, 2005 9:16 pm

oh yeah... forgot to mention .... from San Diego, CA USA ( more specifically the Ocean Beach area)

Zulegoona

Post by Zulegoona » Thu Mar 31, 2005 10:36 pm

klao DNA, good to see you on e-playa, I hope you share some of your experience with the folks around here that could use a little advice with similar pursuits.

spectabillis

Post by spectabillis » Thu Mar 31, 2005 10:49 pm

klao DNA wrote:oh yeah... forgot to mention .... from San Diego, CA USA ( more specifically the Ocean Beach area)
Nice area.

Welcome ya, you can look around and find some info, quite a few dj's here. Might want to check out the bar thread if ya just feel like striking up a chat.

Speed Cult

Post by Speed Cult » Fri Apr 01, 2005 8:24 am

Happy April Fools Day, or St. Stupids, whatever...
My name is David from Albuquerque, New Mexico. Just moved here from Arizona. I have been wanting to go to BM since I saw a piece done on the Discovery channel (I thinks) like 4 or 5 years ago. Plan on going this year (finally). Don't know much about the Playa and would REALLY like to find other NewMexicans that are going, especially virgin-burners like myself. Other then that, I work for a custom shop that builds/modifies anything we can get our hands on (mostly cars and trucks), been into electronic music for 10 years and never been to a rave. :roll: Love "dark" themes and pictures even though I am not "goth". Find the unusal facinating and am intriqued by the little things in life. That's about it.

Be blessed,
David
Just blame it on the "new guy"! :)

spectabillis

Post by spectabillis » Fri Apr 01, 2005 10:19 am

Speed Cult wrote: work for a custom shop that builds/modifies anything we can get our hands on (mostly cars and trucks)
That skill will come in handy.
...and never been to a rave.
Into electronic music and never been to a rave? Thats a good thing.

synchronicity

Post by synchronicity » Fri Apr 01, 2005 8:57 pm

Speed Cult -
Welcome aboard!
I'm about three and a half hours north of you.
Just remember, we're going DOWN in elevation to the Playa.
Why do they have it a Blackrock? (Its too tough out here in the Southwest!) Bring some good Chimayo Chile!
"I never know when I'm on the road to oblivion, I only know when I arrive."

LeChatNoir

Post by LeChatNoir » Sat Apr 02, 2005 3:15 pm

Speed Cult wrote:been into electronic music for 10 years and never been to a rave.
I've been into electronica longer than I care to think about (can you say Shep Pettibone or Jellybean?)and I've never been to a rave either, man.

Welcome!!

And welcome to all you other peoples!!! - klao DNA, Tamborinadanceandsing, garden gal gardenia...
The New and Improved Black Cat... now with 25% more blather

Free

Hello

Post by Free » Sun Apr 03, 2005 10:03 pm

Hello everyone, I'm Shelli aka freeyrmind or Free on different message boards all over the internet... I ran in to some new friends over the past year on another message board (TOTALLY unrelated to anything as fun as Burning Man) and low and behold if 5 of us didn't decide to brave the Playa for the first time this year. We are the scouting party for a much larger group that want to get together next year and meet for the first time at Black Rock. One of our party has been to BM a few times.... she and her hubby run a water store in Nevada. Lucky us... so we have some help on this journey... she'll be coming and going while helping her husband run the store. The other couple is coming from IL (my husband and I are in central CA) and driving to Black Rock with us stopping to pick up our water goddess on the way. This will be the first time we have all met in person and we are excited about this on many many levels.

I just found your forum tonight and am looking forward to soaking up all the information that I can.

BTW, we are all 30 & 40 somethings and if you promise not to laugh at us, I'll tell you that we all met on the CourTV message boards. We broke away and became our own smaller group of trial watchers and have formed a wonderful community of a couple hundered members from all over the world. What we have found out is that in this group there are quite a a few of us interested in Burning...... therefore, Fluffy, Hubby, Skip, Free and Juls "our water goddess" are scouting the event. I hope to meet you there!!
Heal my soul O Lithium sunset and I'll ride the turning world into another night...

spectabillis

Re: Hello

Post by spectabillis » Sun Apr 03, 2005 11:00 pm

Free wrote:Hello everyone, I'm Shelli aka freeyrmind or Free on different message boards all over the internet... I hope to meet you there!!
Welcome free! Have a looksie around, check things out...

mullethunter

hello and welcome... what's your name? tell me about you...

Post by mullethunter » Mon Apr 04, 2005 7:09 am

yello to all,

virgin burner here, mullethunter, or otherwise known as pam. am super-dee-duper excited about experiencing my first burning man.
i'm a bit of a nomad, but i call victoria, bc, canada my home. right now i'm about as far away from there as possible, in south korea, teaching esl to make enough money to make the burn possible for me.
I figured that since i'm a bit out of the loop location wise, i could keep up with the forum for all my bm news and make some connections. ciao for now,

mullethunter
If a kid asks where rain comes from, I think a cute thing to tell him is "God is crying." And if he asks why God is crying, another cute thing to tell him is "Probably because of something you did."
-Deep Thoughts, by Jack Handy

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Mon Apr 04, 2005 9:14 am

Court TV huh. I could see one hell of a wierd theme camp experience coming out of that. . .
The Lady with a Lamprey

spectabillis

Re: hello and welcome... what's your name? tell me about you

Post by spectabillis » Mon Apr 04, 2005 2:30 pm

mullethunter wrote:yello to all.virgin burner here, mullethunter...
Why everone gotta be dissin mah mullet?

hunter S

Post by hunter S » Mon Apr 04, 2005 5:04 pm

Three year burner, do it family style now with two adult son's. brought-em to their first in 04. oldest son had to tell the army it was a family re-union to get leave( not a lie!!) youngest son is taking control of our small camp of 8 to 12 this year. Dad aint no fool....Introduce a good thing and let the exsitment of youth pave the plya!
Objects behind you may appeare larger than reality!

mullethunter

Re: hello and welcome... what's your name? tell me about you

Post by mullethunter » Mon Apr 04, 2005 5:45 pm

[/quote]Why everone gotta be dissin mah mullet?[/quote]

I'm not dissin the mullet man, like i said in my signature, mullets are hot!
so wear that mullet with pride, i say. let it fly!
If a kid asks where rain comes from, I think a cute thing to tell him is "God is crying." And if he asks why God is crying, another cute thing to tell him is "Probably because of something you did."
-Deep Thoughts, by Jack Handy

Return to “The Greeter's Station”