Hello and Welcome... What's your name? Tell me about You...

Start here - tell us about yourself and what brings you to ePlaya.
nollij
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Camp Armageddon

Novato dyslexic burnerns UNTIE!

Post by nollij » Thu Apr 14, 2005 3:34 pm

Hey Meg, Sparky here. This will be my 7th consecutive burn, so although I may have no idea what I'm talking about in the "real" world, I do live in Novato and I have seen BM in many of it's iterations. If you have any questions or want to see more pics, I have lots of semi useless advice about the playa to impart. <grin> Seriously, Novato dyslexic burners UNTIE!
teal1960 wrote:Hi all,

My name is Meg and this will be my first trip to Black Rock Desert. I am extremely looking forward to attending. I have been facisnated since the first time I saw photo of the man burning as a pc background several years ago. My first reaction was what is that happening, it looks amazing. My coworkers looked at me and then said where have you been..that's a long story. I had a person to go with, but that is lookin a little shakey right now so I am looking to connect or converse with anyone close to where I live in Novato,
CA, 20 miles north of San Francisco.

Cheers

Friendly Jen

I skiped to the end

Post by Friendly Jen » Thu Apr 14, 2005 6:56 pm

so technically I don't know the NEW people. I do however know the OLD E-playa folks as in those who frequented before the board was hosed and rehauled. I'm checkin in to see if it has indeed been "improved".

I'm extra friendly except when I'm being sarcastic. And mildly interesting except when my EGO becomes raging and out of control. I've changed an emense ammount since I first posted here mostly due to a hudge ammount of growing the fuck up so don't let your first impression get the best of you.

spectabillis
Burning Since: 2020

Re: I skiped to the end

Post by spectabillis » Thu Apr 14, 2005 7:01 pm

Friendly Jen wrote:so technically I don't know the NEW people. I do however know the OLD E-playa folks as in those who frequented before the board was hosed and rehauled. I'm checkin in to see if it has indeed been "improved".
Welcome back Jen!

Svensen

Hi Everybody!

Post by Svensen » Thu Apr 14, 2005 7:28 pm

Hey Everyone!

I'm Jay, I'm from Detroit and this year will be my second burn. I was there last year, but I didn't get there until thursday at like 3 am. So I'm not actually a virgin, but I don't consider myself a non virgin either- kinda like when your mom walks in right in the middle and ruins everything, then you have to wait a whole year before you get another chance. You know what I mean? or was that just me? Anyway...

I'm so pumped for this year cause I'll actually get be out there for the whole week. I don't know if my fragile mind will be able to handle it...
Leading the alpaca revolution for several hours now

Kreb

Post by Kreb » Thu Apr 14, 2005 10:48 pm

Hi !
I am fifty-something ex-hippie, happily married, have two grown daughters. I heard about Burning Man last year, and it kind of made me think of the movie Wiccer Man, I know it's not the same but you know how wierd brains work sometimes.
I am going to be a first timer this year, and even though I have read just about all there is on the website concerning preparation, I still have some questions such as:
* I have heard about reserved camping spaces, what are these, who gets them, do most people just drive around and camp in any old space they can find??
* I am not in the greatest of shape. Is a pedal driven kart acceptable as a bicycle replacement, or if covered with decorative stuff and wire lights as a mutant vehicle?? Viewable at http://www.allwebtoys.com/pp_06.php

Remember; "Let X = X" ... "We're all in this together" ... Laurie Anderson

Janka

Post by Janka » Fri Apr 15, 2005 12:40 am

Kreb, theme camps can preregister and get a reserved space, but even if you are not with a theme camp or are with a one that does not want to preregister, there is also plenty of space that is not reserved so it's no problem at all just to get in and find a friendly neighbourhood to pitch your tent and shade in. Many theme camps recruit also newbies, if you want to join one; when the lists for this year come available you could just email interesting ones and ask if they'd like to let you in. Or whatever.

mahasamatman3

Post by mahasamatman3 » Fri Apr 15, 2005 2:40 am

But the Playa Name generator says I'm Sir Drinks-a-lot and I'm not supposed to drink ETOH on account of the Morhpine, et al that I'm presrcibed....

>>> I do drink a ton of plain fluids, though... "Hydrate or Die" <<<

I will take this to mean that I must drink of all other things and convey new experiences to my Playa Family...

Peaxe,
Rev. D. / mahasamatman3 / LoL

...need to spend more time at the E-Playa...
"History, I believe, furnishes no example of a priest-ridden people maintaining a free civil government." - Thomas Jefferson

Last Real Burner

......~click~ ~click~ ~click~..........................

Post by Last Real Burner » Fri Apr 15, 2005 8:32 am

ImageWow! Hello to you all magical people and hope to see you on the playa.

Close you're eyes, click you're heels together three times and say, "There's No Place Like Home!" and next thing you know you'll be sitting on the playa, and everything will be right as rain.

quite frankly,
the rebbi
"Do you know what happened to the boy who got everything he wished for? - He lived happily ever after".

nancyboy

hello :)

Post by nancyboy » Fri Apr 15, 2005 11:47 am

Hi. My name is Raffi and this will be my second burning man year. I get tingles all over when I even start to think about going. Oooh....lunch.

BroadZilla

Hello

Post by BroadZilla » Fri Apr 15, 2005 12:44 pm

My name is BroadZilla and my first burn was in 1996. My fiance and I, along with several friends will be attending this year. If anyone needs anything from a "local" such as directions, places to stay, shop etc drop me email. :twisted:
BroadZilla

DavineDesign

Post by DavineDesign » Sat Apr 16, 2005 12:44 am

Hello fellow Burners! My name is Davina, and 2005 will be my second year... I camp with the tuna guys.. I live in Oregon currently, but am moving to humbolt county after Burning Man.. to expand my art career.. and I'm sure that Bman will give me that extra boost.

:wink:
I ran my mouth off a bit to much ... what did I say, well you just laughed it off and it was all okay...

spectabillis

Post by spectabillis » Sat Apr 16, 2005 12:52 am

Heya Nancyboy, BroadZilla (love that name!).

DavineDesign - may you find your muse.

Uriah

Hi everyone!

Post by Uriah » Mon Apr 18, 2005 6:43 pm

My name is Uriah and this will be my first Burning Man...If I can go. Classes start on the 29th of august so I would either miss class or days on the playa. What is the general opinion of arriving sometime between wednesday night and thursday night? I can't wait to meet all, or at least some of you!

synchronicity

Post by synchronicity » Mon Apr 18, 2005 7:08 pm

Welcome Uriah!

The $64 question is:

Where do you think you might do more learning?

Assuming that this is college, contact profs now - and come up with "special projects" to cover the missing time.

Edited to remove tongue from cheek.
"I never know when I'm on the road to oblivion, I only know when I arrive."

Uriah

Post by Uriah » Mon Apr 18, 2005 7:39 pm

[quote="synchronicity"]Welcome Uriah!

The $64 question is:

Where do you think you might do more learning?

Assuming that this is college, contact profs now - and come up with "special projects" to cover the missing time.
[/quote]

I'll definitely do more learning on the Playa! Unfortunately, they drop me from all my classes if I miss the first day. I have worked out a schedule that lets me have classes on monday-tuesday-wednesday with a sculpture class that meets from 1-4 on Tues-Thurs. I figure I can skip class on thursday and leave home on wednesday at 4pm. That gets me there bright and early on thursday. If I do this, will I miss too much? Should I shoot for this or do I have to wait a whole 'nother year?

synchronicity

Post by synchronicity » Mon Apr 18, 2005 8:00 pm

Have jou leveled with the profs, and perhaps presented information related to your exibition?
I cannot believe that you would be penalized for creating and displaying temporal art, and recording the experience to share with your classmates.

pssst = Ya gotta Sell it. The week is manditory.
"I never know when I'm on the road to oblivion, I only know when I arrive."

LeChatNoir

Post by LeChatNoir » Mon Apr 18, 2005 8:18 pm

Hello, new faces!!!

Oh, Uriah...

I think you could definitely sell it to the profs since it’s art. Getting there late will make you miss the early parts. But plenty of people do it, of course. But you gotta... you just gotta.

Look at it this way:

Which do you think you'd recall when on your death bed?

A day of many spent in class or the Monday morning of your first trip to the playa?
The New and Improved Black Cat... now with 25% more blather

Uriah

Post by Uriah » Mon Apr 18, 2005 8:45 pm

I totally agree! I'm sure my Art (sculpture) Prof will too, its the four psych profs I'm worried about. Any good ideas for psych profs? Maybe an experiment on the playa...

LeChatNoir

Post by LeChatNoir » Mon Apr 18, 2005 8:52 pm

Oh Lord yes... check the theme this year!!

http://www.burningman.com/art_of_burnin ... theme.html
The New and Improved Black Cat... now with 25% more blather

spectabillis

Post by spectabillis » Mon Apr 18, 2005 8:54 pm

Uriah wrote: Any good ideas for psych profs? Maybe an experiment on the playa...
- quetzpalin is doing something you can read here http://eplaya.burningman.org/viewtopic.php?p=154709

- you could ask Dicky about his experience http://eplaya.burningman.org/viewtopic.php?p=155080

- or you could throw a rock and use that person as a test subject

Uriah

Post by Uriah » Mon Apr 18, 2005 9:11 pm

Oh my gosh, how did I miss the theme!? I admit I'm bouncing around mentally. I'm starting to get excited and thinking I might actually be able to attend the full week...

Now to figure out what to do/wear/bring!

Janka

Post by Janka » Tue Apr 19, 2005 2:03 am

Uriah, especially for your first time, I really recommend staying to the end, and coming early. Seeing the city built and taken down is such a huge part of the experience, and of course you don't want to miss the burn(s).

I work at a University, and I find that professors and other teachers are usually very tolerant for special arrangements, if you present them the correct way. Do not start by telling them you cannot make it to class, but ask if you could do a special project or extra work for cover a possible absence at such and such dates. Show that you do not want to slack off, but are ready to work for the privilege, and - if you can without lying - that you really appreciate the classes they give and are not happy to miss.

BM4LIFE

My name is Ryan,

Post by BM4LIFE » Tue Apr 19, 2005 2:38 pm

i am a sponsored skatebaorder, I like to do acrylic art and spin fire poi. I also do pretty good video editing and graphic design. I am super laid back but my life is always changing in big ways so that I do have my stresses. I have been spinning fire for a few months, but i can do lots of trippy tricks. My main goal is to do visual performance art with poi. YOu can do some amazing things, I am just getting to the point where I can link most of my harder tricks togeather. I might ry to post a video on home of poi.com later this month once I get some solid routines figured out. If anybody really needs someone to talk to to I have pretty grounded advice and I can understand many viewpoints.
BM has tought me to love myself. BE THE REASON YOU GO TO BURNINGMAN.

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Wed Apr 20, 2005 9:02 am

Uriah
On the other hand, it may turn out that with the heat, dust, altitude and just plain strangeness, that 4 days is enough for you. The first time. It can be an intence experience.
Do what you have to. If you make the effort to visit your profs now and produce something in writing it may make all the difference. Do you know your profs and are they supportive. You'll never get it past an anal martinet, I'm guessing.
Fishy
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Uriah

Post by Uriah » Wed Apr 20, 2005 12:04 pm

Right now I'm trying to find out who my professors are. I am a student at California State University Channel Islands, which I believe is still the newest university to open. Because we are so new most profs aren't tenured. I am pretty sure I can convince my profs to let me miss class.

A slight fear I have is on a more personal note. I'm not shy, but I could see myself hanging out in my own camp and missing out on a bunch. Any recommendations or tips?

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Wed Apr 20, 2005 12:54 pm

Get yourself a list of priorities. One Possible source is the main site http://www.burningman.com and find the calender or the art projects and list your must sees/do and go to them. Having two or three for each day and a list of 2ndary will make sure that you do something, which will probably lead to toher things.
Have something neat to gift--something that you are enthusiastic about. That means you have an instant icebreaker to open conversations. OR something to fall back on.
Relax.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

BroadZilla

Post by BroadZilla » Wed Apr 20, 2005 3:38 pm

I have always said, "No matter who you are, or what you do in this world, everyone should go to Burning Man at least once".

By the way, Happy 4/20 everyone!

"Once you get use to me, Hell will come easy" [quote
][/quote]
BroadZilla

BOA

Post by BOA » Wed Apr 20, 2005 9:46 pm

Good Evening Sister Moon,

I am new to the site. I am looking forward to my first trip to Burning Man this year. I am interested in preparing and other stuff too.

Hoping to see you on the playa.
What if the great Nostradams and St. John saw only as far as they could see? Mother Earth and Brother Fire please remain our friends.

BOA

Post by BOA » Wed Apr 20, 2005 9:48 pm

Good Evening Sister Moon,

I am new to the site. I am looking forward to my first trip to Burning Man this year. I am interested in preparing and other stuff too.

Hoping to see you on the playa.
What if the great Nostradams and St. John saw only as far as they could see? Mother Earth and Brother Fire please remain our friends.

Isotopia

Post by Isotopia » Wed Apr 20, 2005 11:27 pm

BOA,

Make sure you scour the main BM web site. Check out as many links as you can. Many of your questions will be answered. many won't. Still, give it a try.

Return to “The Greeter's Station”