Hello and Welcome... What's your name? Tell me about You...

Start here - tell us about yourself and what brings you to ePlaya.
Janka

Post by Janka » Thu Apr 21, 2005 1:49 am

A slight fear I have is on a more personal note. I'm not shy, but I could see myself hanging out in my own camp and missing out on a bunch. Any recommendations or tips?
Here's what worked for us - get to know your neighbours. Greet them when you come in, greet those who arrive after you. Offer cool drinks or cold, wet towels to those dusty, hot and tired from the drive, offer help with pitching tents (but don't feel bad if they say they can manage), ask where they come from and how was the drive, whatever. When the camps are up, ask them to share drinks or dinner. I found that once I had a neighbourly "homebase" where I was comfortable, it also got easier to move out. People are very friendly in BRC, so no worries. (I am also a bit shy naturally.)

Pixie Purple

Post by Pixie Purple » Thu Apr 21, 2005 9:13 am

Hey my name is Lil'Jen and my first burn was in 2001. I also went the following year. It changed my life. I hope to be back on the playa soon, but have some other destinations to explore.

Happy Burning.
Burner since 2001.

falk
Burning Since: 2004

howdy

Post by falk » Sat Apr 23, 2005 1:22 am

My name is Ed; 2004 was my first burn. One of the things that impressed me was the potted palm trees we had in our camp -- they seemed to be the only living things (other than people) for 30 miles. We kept them alive all week.

The year before, I visited a place that had an entire rain forest in a glass pyramid:
http://www.falkassociates.biz/Vacation/0604/

So now I have a project for this year. I call it the "Oasis Dome". I'm planning to build a 32-foot geodesic dome, and seal it well enough to hold in some humidity, and fill it with tropical plants, misters, a fountain in the center, and maybe some massage tables arranged around the fountain.

It's still in the planning stages, and I haven't put together a crew to help me work on it, but I have high hopes.

Nauss

Post by Nauss » Sun Apr 24, 2005 12:30 pm

Heyas! I'm Gavin, and I'm an aspiring burner. ^ ^

I'm only fifteen, and, sadly, I am not blessed with adults willing to accompany me to a festival of Burning Man's... type. But, I'm optimistic, and, come three years or so, I will most definitely come and participate. :D

The reasons I'm coming to Burning Man are various. First, the spirituality! I'm a very spiritual person, but my township is not always so much. Second, the people! So many young people! It's just dripping kinship. And, superficially perhaps, I'll finally be able to shed this bastard clothing and go with the flow. ^ ^
2012: Year of the New World!

regynalonglank

Post by regynalonglank » Tue Apr 26, 2005 4:42 pm

greetings to you all!

no worries Gavin, burningman will be there when you get there...and for now, if you want, you can just burn in place, so to speak...ummm, like find something you really like to do, and do it alot so you get really good at it, and enjoy sharing it with other people, and then when you get there you will have even more fun. did that make any sense at all? ah, what the heck, who cares! but seriously, see you on the playa :)
\v/

/ \

just listen to the drum

spectabillis
Burning Since: 2020

Re: howdy

Post by spectabillis » Tue Apr 26, 2005 5:58 pm

falk wrote:So now I have a project for this year. I call it the "Oasis Dome". I'm planning to build a 32-foot geodesic dome, and seal it well enough to hold in some humidity, and fill it with tropical plants, misters, a fountain in the center, and maybe some massage tables arranged around the fountain.
Now THAT would be nice!

falk

Re: howdy

Post by falk » Tue Apr 26, 2005 10:05 pm

spectabillis wrote:
falk wrote:So now I have a project for this year. I call it the "Oasis Dome". I'm planning to build a 32-foot geodesic dome, and seal it well enough to hold in some humidity, and fill it with tropical plants, misters, a fountain in the center, and maybe some massage tables arranged around the fountain.
Now THAT would be nice!
Thanks. Still have to put together a proposal to submit, and I have no idea how much space I should ask for. The dome will be about 32' in diameter, but I need space in back for parking, etc. No idea how to estimate this.

Plus, I have to put together a team and a project web site.

I start shopping for conduit this weekend.

precarious

Post by precarious » Wed Apr 27, 2005 3:05 pm

Hi, I'm precarious. I'm from Evergreen, Colorado. This year will be my first burn. (Yes, I'm a burn virgin!) This is the first time that I've had a job that will allow me to get away for a week, and friends crazy enough to want to camp out in the middle of the desert with me.

Dave Rockin

New burner - back to the family..back to the future?

Post by Dave Rockin » Wed Apr 27, 2005 4:54 pm

I'm a BM virgin! Have come close to going a couple times now, but this time I can feel it's gonna happen!

I lived in the Bay area for a bit a few years back, and met some cool Burners...and even found some local to me that I am going to hook up with. I really want to be with people that are on the same twisted wavelength that I am (twisted compared to the regular, everyday insanity that passes as "regular life")...who can see the sanity in the insanity of the world, and still have a hell of a great time in spite of all the crap that goes on.

The Burning Man ship is sailing...count me in! I'm nervous, excited and elated all at the same time at the thought of my first Burn!

With bliss,
Dave Rockin'
Don't dream it, be it!

spectabillis
Burning Since: 2020

Post by spectabillis » Wed Apr 27, 2005 6:43 pm

Whatup Dave, precarious...

Have a look around the main site, cruise these boards, hope you find what you are looking for. If not you can ask, but just remember the eplaya is not the playa. But you still define your own experience..

Dave Rockin

Post by Dave Rockin » Wed Apr 27, 2005 8:18 pm

[quote="spectabillis"] but just remember the eplaya is not the playa. But you still define your own experience..[/quote]

This is not the playa? no kidding?? Thanks for letting us know! :) :)

that we define our own experience...that much I can buy...how do you define yours?
Don't dream it, be it!

abuzz

Seeker of the ultimate destination - the Oracle Within

Post by abuzz » Thu Apr 28, 2005 4:26 am

This is too much... Have you read Larry's speeches of 1997 and 1998 under "What is Burningman"? I feel everyone who decides to post here must read those speeches first. Gives you a deeper sense of appreciation for what you are about to receive.
=======================================================
The Truest Profession of man is to find his way to himself. ~Siddharta
CopyAaight ([email protected]) 2005: http://www.winkinglotus.com/az/index.html

abuzz

Seeker of the ultimate destination - the Oracle Within

Post by abuzz » Thu Apr 28, 2005 4:31 am

Blessed to be going virgin as a part of the WinkinLotus camp. Desiring to serve, contribute, give, and give back yet again, as so many before me have done, and to carry the space within, as it comes about without, for all with vision to swim in. I wish for BM to be taking place everywhere, everywhen, everyhow. I have a dream of building barges. Massive barges, joined at all corners, which carry sand deeper than 10 feet, in connected configurations hundreds wide and thousands long. And I desire to take the desert in huge sheets of land, combined, playa-form out on the ocean. And we can take our festival with us, out and about, within and without, and visit every place we ever desire to be.. everywhen, everyhow!

Abuzz
The Truest Profession of man is to find his way to himself. ~Siddharta
CopyAaight ([email protected]) 2005: http://www.winkinglotus.com/az/index.html

montana wildhack

lil miss first-timer here

Post by montana wildhack » Thu Apr 28, 2005 6:37 am

hi! i'm montana wildhack and i'm attending burning man for the very first time this year. i'm a rather excitable lass, but i'm trying hard not to come to the playa with too many expectations. i just want to be there under the stars and amidst the madness with my mad genius, EviLdustbooger. mwah, dahling! we will be manning a mobile spice-licious, chaka-shockin', delicious and nutritious noodle kitchen/bondage bar for a few choice evenings this year. i can't wait to feed my people!

besides my full-time occupation as an excitable, caffeine-fueled, powerfully submissive former catholic schoolgirl, i am a photographer manque...any tips on keeping equipment playa dust-free? or at least so that they will still work by the time i get home?

playa and it's denizens....i can't wait! :twisted:

alanogy

Post by alanogy » Sat Apr 30, 2005 4:26 pm

Thought I'd say hi after reading my way this far. Glad to see there are other folks arriving for their first time by circuitous routes in space and time.

I was really intrigued when I read about Burning Man in Wired around 10 years ago but never got around to going. A shame as I was conveniently located in the PNW at the time. In the interim I got very responsible, turned 50 in the bible belt, and decided this was my year to reclaim my life. I may be a staid academic by day, but with the encouragement of a friend who attended her first burn last year, I'm finally coming back across the country to see what I've been missing, and to be among free-spirited people again.

I am alternately excited and terrified (that survival guide is not for the faint of heart), and suspect if I'd been going all this time I'd be one of the jaded folks who post about missing the days it was more art and less Mardi Gras. But I'm looking forward to the unexpected, to sharing an adventure with someone special, to interesting sights, sounds, and people, and to this spirit of sharing and giving I keep hearing about. Even if I am too old to dance all night.

ipoxia

anew

Post by ipoxia » Sat Apr 30, 2005 4:32 pm

Hello, my name is jasmine rice, i will be on the playa this year and am so ecstatic! When i finally had the ticket in hand, i jumped up and down. I have never experienced this experience before, and i too am trying to keep calm. It is so hard when you cannot wait for the event you have been waiting for. I keep hearing from people who have previously been, they say it is life changing.
Excited and smiling, ready to share!

sputnik
Camp Name: Ubercarney

Post by sputnik » Sat Apr 30, 2005 6:40 pm

Wow, 4 new people to say Hi to.

So Hi, abuzz, Montana Wildhack, Alanogy, and Jasmine Rice.

worldgirl

Post by worldgirl » Sat Apr 30, 2005 9:22 pm

Hey hey,

So I'm back introducing myself on the eplaya again! Ended up in Southern Africa for 6 months instead of BM 2004- a great experience, but I was sad to miss what would have been my first burn. Trying to pull it off this year after meeting some awesome burners in SF early 2004 (part of Animal Control Camp, I believe..)

I've been so lucky in my life to experience the beauty of cultures and look forward to being a part of BM2005..

Not sure about my logistics, coming from Toronto, but am hoping to hook up with friends in SF before and return, somehow, to Toronto to get back on the 6th of Sept. - realistic? I hope so,

~Much luv~

montana wildhack

howdy!

Post by montana wildhack » Sun May 01, 2005 7:51 am

hi there sputnik! the more i read on the eplaya, the more happy and excited i am to get to black rock city! :D

The Mixlife

Post by The Mixlife » Mon May 02, 2005 3:14 pm

Hi my name is David, I am from Reno, Nv. I work for a grapic and printing company and an overnight shipping company. This year will be my 3rd year at the burn, and I am more excited about this year then the past two. I am hoping to be a little more involved with the community and I would like to meet new people who have similar interests as I do.

Burningman is definitely my favorite event of the year to attend, I hope to be able to attend many more in the future.. That is why I am here, every little effort helps..
David Aaron
www.Mixlife.com
www.DjDavidAaron.com

regynalonglank

Post by regynalonglank » Tue May 03, 2005 12:39 am

noodle kitchen/bondage bar ya say...yummy!
\v/

/ \

just listen to the drum

sputnik

Post by sputnik » Tue May 03, 2005 5:33 am

Hi David.

Understudy

And now for something completly different.

Post by Understudy » Thu May 05, 2005 1:15 pm

Hi ,
This will be my first time to burningman. I am going to use many of the same things that I used when I was without power after the hurricanes Frances and Jeanne. And many of things I used when I did extended camping before hand. I am really thrilled about going.

It is a 48 hour drive to the playa and a 48 drive back. My wife and I are going for the roadtrip of a lifetime. We are going to make an adventure of even the roadtrip.

I am doing this as an early anniversary present for my wife. I don't think trying to convince the powers that be to move the celebration to October 31st would be succesful. So we will celebrate early.

Enjoy,
Brendhan

sputnik

Post by sputnik » Thu May 05, 2005 1:18 pm

Welcome Brendhan and wife. Have fun on the drive too.

CagedKitty

Post by CagedKitty » Thu May 05, 2005 9:35 pm

Understudy,
If you got married on Halloween, you are going to the right place fo yo annivverrssarry! See you there!
Where have I been all my life?

ais4ali

Ali!

Post by ais4ali » Fri May 06, 2005 6:58 pm

My name is ali and i am a 20 year old female living in sacramento California.... i realized early on that i didnt exactly fit with the hussle and bussle of everyday life as much as i did a convincing job pretending. I remember the first thing i heard about burning man was that a bunch of hippies got in a circle and passed acid around while they lit shit on fire.... BOY was that correct! :wink: Since then i have had more accurate descriptions of the event, and these enticed me to type those fatefull letters into my address bar.... burningman.com.... since then i feel like i have truly found a group of people who i can really identify with... these months leading up to the event will be for me to shed my trend consuming ideals of what is good and bad.... to begin to search for what really matters in life.. my true self. and other's true selfs. And more importantly, to be happy with that.
I am pleased to say
that i cannot wait for the day
that i can be one of those hippies trippin
on acid watchin shit
get lit
on fire

hijinx

introduction

Post by hijinx » Mon May 09, 2005 6:40 pm

hi to all, this will be my first burn and i've bannded together a few other vigins and we are going west. to play in the desert. i can't wait. i've been looking forward to this for over a year now.

i think i've got BM on the brain and the Dr. said he can't help me ....but also heard that you folks do have a cure? well maybe remision then.

thanx,
~D
people that matter don't mind,
people that mind don't matter.

sputnik

Post by sputnik » Mon May 09, 2005 6:50 pm

Welcome Hijinx. There is no cure. This is a terminal illness if you're lucky. Come by the windmills and release your inner demons this summer.
It's going to be alright.

unjonharley
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Re: introduction

Post by unjonharley » Mon May 09, 2005 7:00 pm

hijinx wrote:hi to all, this will be my first burn and i've bannded together a few other vigins and we are going west. to play in the desert. i can't wait. i've been looking forward to this for over a year now.

i think i've got BM on the brain and the Dr. said he can't help me ....but also heard that you folks do have a cure? well maybe remision then.

thanx,
~D
~
Welcome hijinx, No cure in sight Been planing all year. See you on the playa.
I'm the contraptioneer your mother warned you about.

jalan

hi

Post by jalan » Mon May 09, 2005 9:53 pm

i'm new - in some respects -

burning man has been nipping at my heels for 7 years

this year i plan to turn around and meet him face to face

- and yes euro trash does indeed rock :twisted:
"i am not a human being - i am dynamite"

-neitsche

Return to “The Greeter's Station”