I don't know if we've used the word 'Virgin' in a while. :)

Start here - tell us about yourself and what brings you to ePlaya.
Gage
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Shadyvil

I don't know if we've used the word 'Virgin' in a while. :)

Post by Gage » Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:38 pm

Good morning, good afternoon and good night!!

We've heard about the burn for a long time, but haven't had the passion to make a commitment to going until coming together!! Over the last few weeks, I find myself in the tub, with the laptop on a side table, reading story after story, looking through picture album after picture album, and now reading post after post following the anticipation of the upcoming burn...

Gage = Chris
dG = Danielle

We have an awesome group of friends, and the best 2 families in the world (hoping to make it 3! *hint hint*). We are club kids when it comes to anything involving house, drum-n-bass, or Tiesto in general, and will travel to fulfill those appetites!!

So maybe you can help us out in the following areas (we are open to all opinions and suggestions):

1) We may (or may not) have some friends going with us this year. Because of their typically uncommitted natures, we want to ensure we start off our adventure in BM land surrounded by friendlies... Based on the current list of Theme Camps, what would you consider the top 3 Camps where dancers/like-minded individuals might congregate, so that we may research them?

2) My girlfriend is ridiculously hot... Do I need to bring a bodyguard, or should I lean towards dental jams and astroglide? *she laughed at this one*

3) Does anyone know where I can find a Burning Man Counter? Something that counts down the days until Burning Man hits? I'm looking for a 'Flash' counter if possible, something I can embed in my page. Thanks.

4) We are primed to participate. Not a question, just a statement. :)

5) How much water do we need if:
a) We drink a ton of h2o, especially for the amount of dancing we will do.
b) We like showers. And other people might too.
c) We want to barter BIGTIME!! ;)

Ok, time for fOOd. We already love you all (because I know only the true burners are here right now)...

Gage -n- dG
Seeker & Creator of Present-Moment Magic

motskyroonmatick
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: B.R.C. Welding&Repair

Post by motskyroonmatick » Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:43 pm

You will have no trouble finding a place to dance. Don't worry about it there are dozens of places to dance. Posting in here is a good way to meet like minded individuals.

Danielle doe not need a body guard.

A counter shows up in a post on this board. Just keep looking and one day it will be there.

No Expectations!

I bring 2.5 gallons of water a day but use max 2 and I shower every day. I do use my clean cooler water for my next day shower.
Read up on LNT. Shower water does not get poured on the ground. The easiest way to take care of your shower water is pack it out in the same container you brought it in.
Read the survival guide repeatedly because it will instill in you things you need to know.

Don't worry about bartering. Think about gifting.

True burners are everywhere. We are only a small sampling of the event.

BuriningMan will fuck you up for life! Welcome Home!!! :D
Black Rock City Welding & Repair. The Night Time Warming Station. iGNiTE! Bar.

Card Carrying Member BRCCP.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-

ibdave
Burning Since: 1998

Post by ibdave » Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:35 pm

motskyroonmatick wrote:
BuriningMan will fuck you up for life! Welcome Home!!! :D
What he said..... 8) 8) 8)
I was Born OK the 1st Time....

Don't bring defaultia to Burning Man, take Burning Man to defaultia...... graidawg

oFZo

Post by oFZo » Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:46 am

Forget wooden shoes and tulips, Tiesto seems to be our main export lately :lol:
Too many puppies
with guns in their hands.

Gage

Post by Gage » Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:46 am

[quote="oFZo"]Forget wooden shoes and tulips, Tiesto seems to be our main export lately :lol:[/quote]

And he's back in LA June 4th-6th, and San Diego June 7th... We'll be at the show of 1,500 max on the 4th...

Thanks for the info Motskyroonmatick!! Any other tips or related convo is appreciated!!

gyre

Post by gyre » Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:26 pm

oFZo wrote:Forget wooden shoes and tulips, Tiesto seems to be our main export lately :lol:
Quebec's primary industrial export is ardent political discourse.

Gage

Post by Gage » Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:21 am

So it's coming up on almost 4 months on ePlaya, and less than 11 days before we head to BRC!! What a mental shift we've made since we first started researching, planning, preparing, budgeting, driving, meet-n-greets, purchasing, practice setups, bike decorating, arguing, kids-excited-now-about-possibly-going-in-09, obsession, etc...

So here is a small timeline of where we've started, to where we've ended up...

March 08- Run into a ex-girlfriend from college (we're talking 1991), who brings up Burning Man and gets me excited about it. Forces me to check out the site, read the stories and check out the pictures. Mind you've, I've thought about going for years, but didn't know much about it...

April 08- We start to participate, by joining ePlaya and Tribes, introducing ourselves around, and start peicing together what we want to do. Here are our initial thoughts-
- Look for RV
- Possible Theme Camp
- Looking to party our brains out, in our normal fashion
- Expecting to be in costumes every night
- Put together a list of the things we think we need, based on our initial dig for info
- Login in 40+ hours in research...

May 08- After looking at a few RVs, and the money involved in not only purchasing one, but fixing them up for a long trip to the burn (and hoping everything works when we get there). Find out even if we spend $1,500 on an old one, we are probably looking at another 5-6k to bring it up to a dependable state of operation... 1st mental shift to move to a strong tent setup

June 08- With anticipation growing, we go through practice tent setup sessions, find zipper problems in the main door, get it fixed, have bought a few outfits, headlights, plastic drawer units for easy access to items, decided NOT to use a blow-up mattress after a failed attempt on a camping trip with the kids, and we're now starting to develop friendships with other people who are going... We headed to a Virgin BBQ in San Fran, met some great people and had a lot of fun, and are invited to join a combo camp made up of burners from San Fran and NYC. After a few emails and some discussion, we decide to join their camp, and become official members of Shadyvil!! Also, my ex-girlfriend from college, who had changed her mind and wasn't going, has now decided to go again, starts planning herself, and now the anticipation is growing even more.

July 08- We lead a pretty active lifestyle, but now that Burning Man is consuming our daily thoughts, our friends, family members and co-workers are fascinated how excited we are, asking questions, asking to help us prepare, wanting more info about the event... Even my ex-wife has seen how excited the kids are and has wanted more info as well. Speaking of the kids, they want to go bad now, since they have been helping up prepare (and light up) the bikes, light up the tent in the back yard, give us feedback on our costumes/hats/goggles/etc... Depending on our experience this year, we very well may take them next year... More shopping happens this month, from a drive to San Fran to get burner-specific outfits (Haight street was amazing), to looking for specific/unique play-toys/lights/noise-manipulators/equipment/etc... Budget thrown out the window... LOL

August 08- To-do list has now been modified 40+ times, in excel, and we now move to a week-by-week to-do list, breaking down what must be bought by when, what must be created by when, what must be arranged by when... It's amazing to think how much stuff we still have left to do, and we've been doing this for 4 months now. dG finally lights a fire under her ass and is motivated to get all the things she wants to get done!! It's about time... And she soon realized that the time is flying by!! With silly things like work, showering, pooing, and sleeping getting in the way, it really cuts the prep time down per night to 2-3 hours. Which may seem like a lot, but it's really not. Especially when you have all the distractions...

11 days to go. We're obsessed. Covering the mesh tent top now. Redoing lighting based on our camps power supply. Waiting for the sun walls of our shade structure to arrive. Will post pictures this week of some of our finished projects. And guess what? I have a 3 day work event that runs until the 24th... What timing.... ;)

So, to make a long story, uh, longer... We're staying with Shadyvil at 4th & Dart. We're having a street Faire on Wednesday, so come by and introduce yourself. From the immortal words of Taj on Van Wilder, "It should be a pimpin good time!" :)

The funny thing is, I know some people just started getting ready last week for the burn... I can't even fathom that... How long have YOU been preparing? What has changed since that time? And what are you doing differently this time if you've gone before?

Harpman
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: The Burning Band

Post by Harpman » Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:14 am

Did you remember to buy tickets?
To err is human. It takes a computer to really screw up.
http://people.tribe.net/harpman
www.hushville.com
www.cdbaby.com/venicebluecats

Gage

Post by Gage » Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:47 am

Qualified for Scholarship tickets this year... :)

Return to “The Greeter's Station”