New Carson City Burner - HELLO ALL YOU BURNERS!!!

Start here - tell us about yourself and what brings you to ePlaya.
thinfilmguy

New Carson City Burner - HELLO ALL YOU BURNERS!!!

Post by thinfilmguy » Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:18 pm

Hi ALL! 08 was my first burn, and I loved it!! What a life changing experience - kind of a cross between Las Vegas, Mad Max, and Woodstock - but better than any of them. I'm a techie and was dumbfounded by the art and technology that was there. It puts Vegas to shame at night! The lasers, fire, art cars, people, clothes - all of it in such excess - was one of the most wonderfull things I have ever experienced!
Im already, like most of you, counting down the days. I'm starting to design an art car, but still decompressing and so full of ideas, I don't have any clear focus.

I was part of the Kaz Bus camp - these are the guys that built Babalyon, the 10 story building. An amazing bunch of people. I'm sure everyone climbed the 10 stories and saw the view - gave a whole new perspecive on the size of BRC!! It will be interesting to hear the final count of how many people were married on top! Any of you ride on the Kaz Bus - the old London double decker bus painted and lighted up like a persian palace? It had a lounge and bar downstairs and a rockin dance floor on top? I spent lots of time on it, so maybe we met!

Anyway, I am just finding my way around the burner community and looking for any Reno or Carson burner groups - can't wait till next year but NEED decompression support in the meantime!

Have a great day - and thank you for letting become a part of this thing you call BURNING MAN!
Jim
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:48 pm

I didn't climb the tower. I can't climb. I assumed it was staircase only, which would have left me (and others) out.

I am surprised by the negative reaction that it got among some. OH well, because of the labor, it was a new step for the playa, and the old v. new is a potent source of arguments. I hope none of that spills over on you, but be warned. We are a contentious bunch.

Welcome.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

thinfilmguy

Post by thinfilmguy » Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:03 pm

Thanks. I know that many were concerned and some down right pissed, but after a few days, and the 1000's who visited it, I got the impression it was a hit and people loved it. I'm pretty sure it won't be back - Lucky is getting a bit burned out (no pun intended) and is going to go low key next year. He has been a big part of the event for years, but ready to slow down. Maybe the negative vibes are part, I don't know, but I did hear the camp will be scaled back. Time will tell.
Thanks for the welcome greeting. It's funny, but after a few days it was really clear to me what the welcom home signs were all about - it felt like I had been a part of it for my whole life! In my younger days, I was very boho and a part of the hippy generation, but like so many, went corporate. I now have the time and freedom to get back to my roots and I love it.
Thanks,
Jim
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

thisisthatwhichis

Post by thisisthatwhichis » Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:15 pm

Sounds like you had a fabulous time, thinfilmguy!!!

Yes, the first year is always one that turns you to the dark side of being forever a Burner....... 8)

If you are interested in connecting with locals, the Reno Decompression is happening on the 18th of Oct........ a little over a week.

Check it out in the regionals thread........ Hope to see you there......... :D

Here's the link: http://renodecompression.ning.com/
TITWI

To be on the wire is life. The rest is waiting.
It's show time, folks.....Joe Gideon

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:28 pm

I firmly believe that participants should mix it up, even skip years, lest they burn out (which I'm okay wiht) and become the stereotypical ex-burner, who's still over-involved with the event emotionally. That gets old pretty quick.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

thisisthatwhichis

Post by thisisthatwhichis » Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:01 pm

Yea, missed a year in '05..... It was OK, but by the end of '05 the draw to come home was greater than I've ever felt..... I jus couldn't wait until August........ It would be kinda hard to miss a year again, at least for a while.... at least for me......... :D
TITWI

To be on the wire is life. The rest is waiting.
It's show time, folks.....Joe Gideon

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:49 pm

Welcome to eplaya! Glad your first burn was such a great experience.

JK

thinfilmguy

Post by thinfilmguy » Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:49 am

thisisthatwhichis,

Thats a hellofanametotype!

I really want to go to the Reno decompression, but unfortunately I have a yacht club party to do. If I wasn't involved in running the thing, I would easily bolw it off and pick the burner event! I'm sure I would have a better time in reno.

I understand about giving it a rest, although I have a ways to go before I get there. I know several burners that skip a year now and then - it is such an intense environment I can see getting burned out.

I'm wanting to do something good for the community, but have not come to a plan as of yet. I 'm sure as I meet and talk to you folks, something will come into focus! I have a couple of acres here with a barn/shop, so I have space to work on a project. I can probably help others as well, but I need to be a tad bit discreet as my wife is not a burner type, and I don't want to freak her out by going too far off the deep end!

Anyway, it is good to know you crazyies are around!!!

Jim

Return to “The Greeter's Station”