Enticed by the possibilities!!!

Start here - tell us about yourself and what brings you to ePlaya.
Shellahhh

Enticed by the possibilities!!!

Post by Shellahhh » Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:34 pm

Hello you wondrous community of Burning Man dwellers. It was about 6 months ago that I learned about the existence of such an experience. I did not know you existed!! Now, my soul seems to be jumping out of me, eager to discover what awaits me in the world of Men who Burn. Burn for what? Passion, art, music, love, freedom??? YES!!! It certainly seems so. I'm 20 years old, and feeling the beating of awakening myself to all this physical world has to offer. Sadly, I am not acquainted yet with anyone who has actually attended a Burning Man. Thus, who here is from Tucson or even the Phoenix area that can give me some direction? I want to help in making something. I like to sing, I like to dance, and yes, I love making things!!!

Have a beautiful day, and I hope you all enjoyed our last full moon of the year. It was also the closest and brightest the moon will be until 2012.

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:53 pm

Hey there, welcome to eplaya.

Read the Survival Guide, hang around here more, check out the regionals for your area and buy your ticket first thing when they go on sale in January.

JK
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:00 pm

and, be sure to post after JK, if you're in front of him...........you never know when that thing will go off........

welcome, shellahhh.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

goathead
Burning Since: 1999

Post by goathead » Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:06 am

Can you cook BACON?

Sham

Post by Sham » Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:39 am

Welcome! I hope you get to make it this year. There are oodles (yes, oodles) of past posts addressing questions from first timers like yourself. You will find the most amazing, fully functioning city when you get to Black Rock City. Only the most incredible people attend, since the conditions are so harsh. The mundane, boring folk head to a pre-made place like Vegas and the creative people make their own city out of an empty pallet we call the playa---a dried prehistoric lake bed in the middle of nowhere.
This past year, I had the chance to visit the playa a month after Burning Man ended and found only the vaguest remnants that a full city was right under my feet. I have pictures, memories and friends, but that magical place is only in my mind now. The kindness, compassion, creativity and insanity is gone forever---unless we build it again.
Each year, things change a bit and if you come back and try to recreate what you found, you will be dissapointed. If you come with an open mind and no specific expectations, then you will not only find everything you're looking for, but have the time of your life as well.
I hope you come and be a resident, participant and most importantly, I hope you find what you're looking for.
See you on the playa and Welcome Home!

Sail Man
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

Post by Sail Man » Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:43 am

Shambala wrote: Only the most incredible people attend, since the conditions are so harsh.
Yet you keep finding a way to sneak in :P Gonna have to talk to PG&E about their repeated slip-ups. :lol:

Shellahhh, welcome to the carnival that is eplaya and Burning Man. Leave your expectations home and prepare to get wacky :lol:
Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact

FrostyMan

Post by FrostyMan » Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:30 am

Welcome Shellahhh!
"That which you manifest, is before you" - Enzo the Dog; The Art of Racing in the Rain

Shellahhh

Post by Shellahhh » Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:38 pm

Thanks for the warm welcomes!! :-D

And... I don't know about bacon... only if it's made out of soy. Sorry, I don't eats da meat. But, then again, if you just want to eat it, I wouldn't mind just cooking it for you. Hahaha...

Adios!

Simon of the Playa
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Post by Simon of the Playa » Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:09 am

Sorry, I don't eats da meat.

Fish perhaps, maybe Clams?
Frida Be You & Me

Shellahhh

Post by Shellahhh » Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:32 am

I'm totally down with fish, and the asian market I shop at has amazing soy products.

Oh, and something that's troubling me... I'm currently a college student over here in Arizona, and we start class mid August. So I don't know what I'm going to do about attending the burn. I might have to convince teachers to give me the leeway. :?

mercury_988

Post by mercury_988 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:36 am

I'm in school too. Thankfully I will only be ditching the first couple days. You better not let school stop you from going tho, because that excuse is making me crayz! tell them burning man is going to be a very educational and life-changing experience :)

Shellahhh

Post by Shellahhh » Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:37 pm

That is very true. I think I'll have to see if my professors will let me write a paper about it or something. I'm crossing my fingers. The other thing that sucks is that this situation makes it so that having my good ole friends come with me is difficult. Oh the woes of education.... making us kids all broke.

Medium

Post by Medium » Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:17 am

Life changing? Are there going to be baptisms by FIRE! Nice...
Dance like no one is watching...
www.medium-music.com

Simon of the Playa
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Post by Simon of the Playa » Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:22 am

very educational and life-changing experience

a good bowel movement can do that for you.

Burning Man is a Camping trip in the fucking Desert. There are no assurances of anything else. Lower your expectations, Like the Republican party With sarah palin, and you'll do fine.
Frida Be You & Me

mercury_988

Post by mercury_988 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:37 am

thats the line she going to give her teachers right after she offers the write them a paper.

friends? who needs friends....

Shellahhh

Post by Shellahhh » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:55 am

Hahahahaha, yes! I'm definitely going to put that in the paper, that and pictures galore. I'm sure a political science teacher will love that. At least the art teachers will, with no doubt.

anthony paul

Post by anthony paul » Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:12 am

BACON!!!! :lol:
www.djanthonypaul.com

www.myspace.com/dj_anthonypaul

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:04 pm

Shellahhh wrote:Hahahahaha, yes! I'm definitely going to put that in the paper, that and pictures galore. I'm sure a political science teacher will love that. At least the art teachers will, with no doubt.
There's plenty of politics ... the clash of the conservative locals with the liberal outsiders, how the outsiders are becoming Nevadans and changing the face of the community from the inside out. For one example.

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:26 pm

AntiM wrote:
Shellahhh wrote:Hahahahaha, yes! I'm definitely going to put that in the paper, that and pictures galore. I'm sure a political science teacher will love that. At least the art teachers will, with no doubt.
There's plenty of politics ... the clash of the conservative locals with the liberal outsiders, how the outsiders are becoming Nevadans and changing the face of the community from the inside out. For one example.
well............
I'd not say ...all...... the outsiders are liberal........or, locals conservative...........

so:

.........NUH UH............, there's no politics here, or there.............

(BIG OLD GRIN, nose growing.........)
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

ihlvr

Post by ihlvr » Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:42 am

BM 09 will be my first burn also
If you can find your way up to prescott, you are more then welcome to ride up with me.

Return to “The Greeter's Station”