F*C**** OF DO** May I ask a ?

Start here - tell us about yourself and what brings you to ePlaya.
303jewels

F*C**** OF DO** May I ask a ?

Post by 303jewels » Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:23 am

Hi Dudes and Dudettes.
Thankyou all for you previous advice, snarkyness and irrelevence. Upon the advice you've given me I've decided to do the 'big' art next year, - thanks, -you're right that I need to check it all out first. So for now I will make the trek from the U.K on my todd (own). SO - I'm in Reno a few days before BM kicks off with a suitcase and about 100 miles to go. Do I rent a vehicle or buy something cheap that I can then re-sell/donate etc. I ask this as I don't wanna (inadvertantly) fuck up someones rental car (dust and shit) .If I am better off buying an old banger, advice on vehicle type would be cool.Thanks.
Also suggestions for cheapish rooms/hotel in North Reno thats close to Highway 1-80? (not too worried about this one).
Just one more thing, I need to buy everything! I guess Reno is best for this? As opposed to Empire, Gerlach? I Would prefer to buy my supplies from places that 'need ' the trade.
Sorry to ask a lot but, I'm coming a long way, thanks in advance for any advice you give me.
Peace n Luv Jules X
Timeless motion..........

gyre

Post by gyre » Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:40 am

What does the title mean?

If you aren't going elsewhere, I would try to arrange transport or rent.
Some people keep a van stored out there too, in the area.
Transport becomes more difficult if you are going at an odd time, early or late.

Don't assume what you want will be for sale in reno.
Some specific items might need to be ordered in before time or brought in with you.
Most little things can be bought and food and ice.

Make sure you have comfortable goggles ahead of time.
Strong personal marker lights are a good idea and a good headlamp.
Best cheap one is the 3 watt Brinkmann at target for $22.
Don't forget a hat you like.
Hats must have a tiedown.

303jewels

Post by 303jewels » Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:58 am

Thanks Gyre,
Thats a start man and taken on board, -don't worry I've got a cool hat!

Don't wish to drift my own thread but, I gotta say that the responses on here are so much faster than internet dating ( which I am indulging in at the moment) - (and I'm handsome!) . Feels like 'home' already!
'Ta!'

Ugly Dougly
Burning Since: 1996

Post by Ugly Dougly » Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:13 pm

Selling a car out of a hotel room is chancy if you have a flight to catch; I don't guess you'll be in a mood either. Just rent a vehicle and clean it up when you get back; you'll be fine. Shop Reno, not Gerlach/Empire/Fernley. You'll see. It's more important to buy from those that "have" the gear, IMHO. Thanks for speaking English for us, you'll do fine.

gaminwench
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP, Destiny Lounge

Post by gaminwench » Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:14 pm

you could also rideshare out of Reno...limits how much gear you can carry, but the board heats up with Burners looking for riders to help with gas...

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:00 pm

Ugly Dougly wrote:Selling a car out of a hotel room is chancy if you have a flight to catch;
Okay, I'm so naive that I don't even know what a Flower of Dawn is, much less a F*C**** OF DO**, so correct me if I'm wrong. But isn't Reno filled with used car lots ready to take the cars off gamblers down on their luck and despareately trying to get together a new stake?
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

gyre

Post by gyre » Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:57 pm

I wouldn't expect a good price from a used car lot.
It's possible to do this, but it can take time and if you can't leave the car with someone to sell, can be problematic.
It's what I would do if I got to australia, but that's a long drive and I would have time to sell.
Maybe I could pick up a Falcon anyway.

Ugly Dougly

Post by Ugly Dougly » Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:06 am

theCryptofishist wrote:But isn't Reno filled with used car lots ready to take the cars off gamblers down on their luck and despareately trying to get together a new stake?
Wow, Crypto, you need professional help with that.

mdmf007
Camp Name: ESD

Post by mdmf007 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:26 am

If your set on buying a rig - buy a piece of shit that will barely make it there. When we were waiting for fires in Winnemucca we would routinely buy cheap trucks or cars for anywhere from 50-500 bucks and beat the shit out of them on the sand dunes.

Search craigslist for dirt cheap rigs before you come, readvertise it the same day you buy it and sell it before you ever leave reno for BM.

just a thought. have fun. Renting isnt bad either.

303jewels

Post by 303jewels » Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:55 am

Hey thanks everyone for your replies. I do like the idea of buying a piece of shit truck, then I can paint flowers and shit on it and help 'the vibe'. The other thing is I can drive some stakes through the fucking roof and rig up some sort of shade, might even bring a few hammers and let people just dent the shit out of it!

Suppose I could do that with a hire car too!!! That would be well funny!!
If a bit stupid.

mdmf007
Camp Name: ESD

Post by mdmf007 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:21 am

303jewels wrote:Hey thanks everyone for your replies. I do like the idea of buying a piece of shit truck, then I can paint flowers and shit on it and help 'the vibe'. The other thing is I can drive some stakes through the fucking roof and rig up some sort of shade, might even bring a few hammers and let people just dent the shit out of it!

Suppose I could do that with a hire car too!!! That would be well funny!!
If a bit stupid.
Your coming from the UK? i would simply rent a van and live in it, get the insurance and make a good effort to clean it up. This would be the cheapest and simplest way to go, unless you under 25yo or there is a reson you cant rent a rig in the US.

ibdave
Burning Since: 1998

Post by ibdave » Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:24 pm

Bring "NogganOOdle" back to the Playa with ya and you'll have a bunch of Instant Friends...... 8) :D 8)
I was Born OK the 1st Time....

Don't bring defaultia to Burning Man, take Burning Man to defaultia...... graidawg

oneeyeddick

Post by oneeyeddick » Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:03 pm

That would be hella cool.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.

303jewels

Post by 303jewels » Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:25 pm

NOGGANOODLE, -I dont know him / her, tell me more and I'll track the fucker down and tell him/her that you all miss h/h and I'll try and drag his arse back out there! DO TELL!!!!!!!!!!! If I love h/h too I'll buy h/h a ticket! Then you can all be reunited, I'll feel good and can spend my week dressed like a twat and acting like a c***.
I could do with a little 'mission'. Who is NogganOOdle?

Da Mule

Post by Da Mule » Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:27 pm

did you google NogganOOdle?

and while you're at it, would you like a poodle?

or a cheese doodle?

Bounce530
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: BRC Guardian Landing pad

Post by Bounce530 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:30 pm

Da Mule wrote:did you google NogganOOdle?

and while you're at it, would you like a poodle?

or a cheese doodle?
wise ass
What other people think about you is none of your business.

303jewels

Post by 303jewels » Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:33 pm

I don't wanna poodle or a cheese doodle but I will google nogganoodle.
Now.
Once I've had a piss.

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:01 pm

The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Return to “The Greeter's Station”