Hello my name is Inga, and I'm (a virgin) from Sweden!

Start here - tell us about yourself and what brings you to ePlaya.
Annatrasslet

Hello my name is Inga, and I'm (a virgin) from Sweden!

Post by Annatrasslet » Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:39 pm

Well no, my name is not Inga, but Anna. Ehm, but I am indeed from Sweden. So not a complete lie :)

I first heard about the Burning Man in 2004 when I lived in London and a flatmate went there. She came back, ever so spaced out for a few days, but with amazing experiences. Ever since I've been dying to go.

The other day, I was sitting at work, browsing through the BM website ... clicking on the tickets section ... realising my own ticket is just a few mouse clicks away. With Eckhart Tolle's book "The Power of NOW" in mind, I decided to ignore all limiting thinking ("I can't go alone", "how am I gonna get there", "what if the environment is too extreme" etc etc) ... and just BOUGHT THE BLOODY TICKET.

I can reassure you I was pretty high on adrenalin for the rest of the day!

So yes, I am going. But I've got noone to go with and no plan as to how to get there. As I'm sure you understand, this will be quite a trip for me, so please give me all your possible brainstorming suggestions for where to fly to and who to go with from there!

I'm hoping some chilled out people will be up for helping out an open-minded, easy-going, pretty damn cool 26-year old Swedish Burning Man virgin!

All my pretty women and men, thanks a million for all your help, I truly appreciate it!

LOVE, PEACE & BURNING MAN

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:28 pm

Hey there, welcome to eplaya!

JK
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Sun Mar 29, 2009 3:10 pm

*making sure to follow JK*

yes, welcome.........
make sure to read all the survival guide and info on the main website, and, post questions here.........
Being a 26 year old Swedish virgin, and, coming alone, you'll want to have as much knowledge as possible before arrival.
and, have no expectations.

*feeling a little like the wicked witch when Dorothy douses her with water*
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Elliot
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Buddha Camp At The Lotus Dome

Post by Elliot » Sun Mar 29, 2009 3:45 pm

:D
Hi Anna! My paternal grandmother was named Anna Margit, so I claim all sorts of grand authority on Things Scandinavian As Relating To Burning Man. :lol:

I also did a bit of smuggling across our border when I lived in Norway. And we made a lot of "bryggerhus kondensat".

Now, before we allow you to attend Burning Man, we need you to return Hjemtland and Herjedalen to Norway.

Anna, there are definitely people from Sweden and Norway and other European countries participating in Burning Man. So it is entirely doable. And even if it were not, you would get it done.

You can fly into San Francisco, CA; or Reno, NV. If you fly to Reno, it is quite possible that your trans-Atlantic flight will land in San Francisco anyway, as Reno is a much smaller city.

The harder part is getting from Reno to "Black Rock City". There are no trains or bus routes out there! You can rent a car in Reno, but I am worried about the rental agencies selling out that week. Not much "backup" in a small city like Reno. Probably better to rent a car in San Francisco. Nice drive with a huge variety of scenery.

Ideally, of course, you would find someone to ride share with. But I'm thinking that you wouldn't want to risk "missing your connection".

If you rent a car, you should probably not plan on living in it. The car could become so full of dust that the cleaning would cost a fortune. Better to have a tent and leave the car closed up all week. An other option is to rent a commercial van, where the dust would be less of a concern.

Enough for now. Ask questions.

Oh... "flat" and "bloody ticket" -- yes, you have lived in England. :lol:

The purpose of separation of church and state is
to keep forever from these shores the ceaseless strife
which has soaked the soils of Europe in blood for centuries.
--James Madison

bx1

Post by bx1 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:24 pm

I met a girl from the UK at the 05 burn named Henrietta. She was awesome, loved our Drum and Bass... You just brought back some memories. Look, you don't have to worry about anything as long as you DON'T forget your towel! Seriously. 8)

B
Braden aka BX1 aka -=B=-

THE BUSH (Returning bigger and badder in 2011):

[url]http://www.placesafterdark.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=872[/url]

[img]http://www.mixmovement.com/images/gotjungle.jpg[/img]

djnormanj

Post by djnormanj » Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:42 pm

Hi Anna! Welcome to eplaya! Since you're comming from over seas I'm sure you will be traveling light. You should get yourself the basic camping necessities and look into joining a camp for some additional support. Joining a camp can help you out with some things like meals and some of those items that you just didn't think to bring, or were to bulky to bring by yourself. I can recommend a few you could look into such as Stag Camp, and Camp International. I'll send you a private message with more info.
~Norm

"I used to have a handle on life, then it broke!"

somekind

Post by somekind » Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:46 pm

Take off your clothes and relax~!
http://burningmanvideos2007.blogspot.com/

If someone offers you drugs, it's a cop.
If someone asks you for drugs, it's a cop.
If someone fucks you for drugs, it's not a cop.

Barb Wire

Post by Barb Wire » Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:49 pm

Hi, Annatrasslet.
A fellow Scandinavian going to Burning Man this year! *YAY* Welcome! You're gonna have a lot of fun! I'm from Norway and this is gonna be my third burn.

I went to my first burn in 2006 with 5 other fellow Norwegians. In 2007 none of us were able to go, so we made a Scale-Burner camp in size 1/87 and shipped it over to our friends at The Booby Bar. We got that camp registrated as an official theme camp. In 2008 we were 4 Norwegians going. Like in 2006 we put up our own theme camp, Camp Herring, but this year we were a part of Terminal City. A great crowd of fun and creative Burners! This year, at the moment, it seems like I'm going alone from Norway. I'll be joining the Booby Bar (also a part of Terminal City).

Like ygmir wrote, the first thing you should do is read thru the survival guide. Here's the 2008 edition:
http://www.burningman.com/media/doc/pre ... _guide.pdf

My plan is to fly to Reno on Thursday August 27th, find a place to stay the night. On Friday, pick up my stuff I got stored at a friends place and buy food etc, before going to Burning Man. Gonna be a part of the Early Arrival team. I plan on renting a moving truck (cheaper than a rental car, and much more spacious.)

Bring an open mind, lots of water, suntan lotion, food, dust mask, goggles, tent, inflatable sleeping mattres, sleeping bag, costumes etc...
Barb Wire / Sven
--------
You don't stop going to Burning Man because you get old.
You get old because you stop going to Burning Man!

Sensei

Re: Hello my name is Inga, and I'm (a virgin) from Sweden!

Post by Sensei » Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:55 am

Annatrasslet wrote:Well no, my name is not Inga, but Anna. Ehm, but I am indeed from Sweden. So not a complete lie :)
Nice 'Trading Places' reference there! Howdy, is not Inga, but Anna.

somekind

Re: Hello my name is Inga, and I'm (a virgin) from Sweden!

Post by somekind » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:58 am

Sensei wrote:
Annatrasslet wrote:Well no, my name is not Inga, but Anna. Ehm, but I am indeed from Sweden. So not a complete lie :)
Nice 'Trading Places' reference there! Howdy, is not Inga, but Anna.
Good catch!
http://burningmanvideos2007.blogspot.com/

If someone offers you drugs, it's a cop.
If someone asks you for drugs, it's a cop.
If someone fucks you for drugs, it's not a cop.

Elliot

Post by Elliot » Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:34 am

To me, the name Inga reminds me of the MASH 4077 episode where Hawkeye Pierce fell for a Swedish nurse named Inga. But then, I'm old.
--James Madison

Ugly Dougly
Burning Since: 1996

Post by Ugly Dougly » Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:19 pm

ygmir wrote:*making sure to follow JK*

yes, welcome.........
make sure to read all the survival guide and info on the main website, and, post questions here.........
Being a 26 year old Swedish virgin, and, coming alone, you'll want to have as much knowledge as possible before arrival.

Ygmir, we need more barbarians, don't we?

ygmir

Post by ygmir » Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:25 pm

Ugly Dougly wrote:
ygmir wrote:*making sure to follow JK*

yes, welcome.........

Ygmir, we need more barbarians, don't we?
yes, we do...........and, a Viking one, as well.........

IMHO, anyway.....
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Annatrasslet

Post by Annatrasslet » Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:34 pm

Ah, bless you all for getting back to me! This barbarian viking (can one be barbarian and vegetarian at the same time? or viking and vegetarian for that sake?) will get back to you all tomorrow, at least I'll try to!

ygmir

Post by ygmir » Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:14 pm

Annatrasslet wrote:Ah, bless you all for getting back to me! This barbarian viking (can one be barbarian and vegetarian at the same time? or viking and vegetarian for that sake?) will get back to you all tomorrow, at least I'll try to!
well, sure.......you are what you eat........

that makes me a .........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Boijoy
Camp Name: Metro Mart

Post by Boijoy » Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:33 pm

piece of bacon... :lol:
don't forget to floss

ygmir

Post by ygmir » Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:03 pm

you, are, the cleverest..........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Ugly Dougly
Burning Since: 1996

Post by Ugly Dougly » Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:15 am

Annatrasslet wrote:Ah, bless you all for getting back to me! This barbarian viking (can one be barbarian and vegetarian at the same time? or viking and vegetarian for that sake?) will get back to you all tomorrow, at least I'll try to!
Anna, our other barbarian lady is a vegetarian - or at least she's one of those weirdos who asks questions about what she is eating. You'll fit in fine. :)

skibear
Burning Since: 2002

Post by skibear » Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:39 am

Barb Wire wrote:Hi,

I went to my first burn in 2006 with 5 other fellow Norwegians. In 2007 none of us were able to go, so we made a Scale-Burner camp in size 1/87 and shipped it over to our friends at The Booby Bar.
Hey!! I saw that scale camp under it's plastic cover on the bar in 07 at the
Booby Bar :D Complete with little figures of burners.

Kudos. A totally awesome work of art, taking I'm sure a lot of time
to build. Seeing this made my day.

:D :shock:
crash & burn ski lessons given

Barb Wire

Post by Barb Wire » Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:47 am

TY, skibear! It took a lot of time to build the Scale:Burners camp, but we had great fun building it! Glad you liked it!
Barb Wire / Sven
--------

Sail Man
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

Post by Sail Man » Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:40 pm

Elliot wrote::D
To me, the name Inga reminds me of the MASH 4077 episode where Hawkeye Pierce fell for a Swedish nurse named Inga. But then, I'm old.
Ohh, I remember that episode as well. Dog that was a great series :D

Greetings Anna who is not Inga :D You've gotten some great advice. Since your coming from a land far, far away and solo I'd really consider joining a camp that has an infrastructure already, shade shelter being the biggest, and very important. Some things you can buy once you hit stateside, and after the burn you can either mail it all back to your home, or donate it here.

Have you not found anybody back home that is going?
Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact

Elliot

Post by Elliot » Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:35 pm

I don't mean to be pushy, Anna, but it does sound like you might want to join Barb Wire and me and and the rest of our eclectic group in Terminal City. We even have a MASH unit, if you want to play the Nurse Inga bit.
Barb Wire knows the territory and how to rent a vehicle and so forth, so he might be a good choice for your ride those last 100 US Miles to BRC. But with him you would need an Early Entry Pass, which will be distributed by the Terminal City chieftain, and there may not be enough. Best way to proceed would be to let Barb Wire introduce you to Kernul Killbuck.
--James Madison

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:05 pm

Elliot wrote:Best way to proceed would be to let Barb Wire introduce you to Kernul Killbuck.
Really, Elliot, you're supposed to make that sound more onimous.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Zulegoona

Post by Zulegoona » Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:56 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:
Elliot wrote:Best way to proceed would be to let Barb Wire introduce you to Kernul Killbuck.
Really, Elliot, you're supposed to make that sound more onimous.

Not until the cranial chip is implanted, until then he is the smiling leader of a peoples revolution

Though I do think she could do a lot worse than joining the great people of the Booby Bar Camp in terminal city each needs to make their own mistakes before they find enlightenment.

Barb Wire

Post by Barb Wire » Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:23 am

So, Not Inga (I like the sound of that as your playa name)... :D

How do you feel about joining the Booby Bar in Terminal City this year?

PM me if you like...
Barb Wire / Sven
--------

ibdave
Burning Since: 1998

Post by ibdave » Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:13 am

Barb Wire wrote:So, Not Inga (I like the sound of that as your playa name)... :D

How do you feel about joining the Booby Bar in Terminal City this year?

PM me if you like...
I like the way you think BW.... Smart man...... Smooth...... 8) 8) 8)
I was Born OK the 1st Time....

Don't bring defaultia to Burning Man, take Burning Man to defaultia...... graidawg

Return to “The Greeter's Station”