Newbie looking for information regarding DISABLED ACCESS!

Start here - tell us about yourself and what brings you to ePlaya.
Playable

Newbie looking for information regarding DISABLED ACCESS!

Post by Playable » Sat Jun 13, 2009 2:40 pm

My name is Stan and this will be my first time at Burning Man. I am an extremely active wheelchair user (adaptive sports and rec) and am planning on bringing a handcycle to the burn. I'm currently trying to explore all avenues of playa and camp access. Ideally, I'd like to get the most out of my Burning Man experience. I know that others with disabilities have and will be there. I'm also interested in putting together some video of disabled access and participants. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm really excited for this thing.

Stan
Stan

gyre

Post by gyre » Sat Jun 13, 2009 4:57 pm

You should talk to Mr. Fixit of Hot Wheelz Camp.

Some people in the dmv have seen many people come through with various disabilities.

Will the focus be primarily on people using wheelchairs or all types of disabilities?
The playa sees all kinds.

I think we would have many more if we were able to add some sort of viable mass transit for the longer excursions.

Depending on conditions this year, wide tires may be called for.
http://eplaya.burningman.org/viewtopic.php?t=26065

Playable

Thank you!

Post by Playable » Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:46 pm

Definitely bringing the fat tires. Thank you! I will definitely connect with Mr. Fixit and the Hot Wheelz Camp.

As for the focus, I want to cover all disabilities. And I'm really glad that all abilities are represented at this event.

Furthermore, I agree about mass transit. That seems to be a reoccurring issue among disabled populations.

Big thanks for your feedback!

Stan
Stan

Playa Tom

Post by Playa Tom » Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:13 pm

Welcome, you're going to have a great time. Make sure you have enough lights on your chair so you can be seen by the drug addled hippies driving art cars.

Playable

Excellent!

Post by Playable » Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:52 pm

Thank you! Definitely lighting the chair and handcycle! I'd hate to hit (or be hit) by anyone!
Stan

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:36 pm

What I hear is that Mr. Fixit is no longer with hotwheelz and has passed it on to Gimps and Vedges. Or is that Vedges and Gimps.

Memorize where the acessable portajohns are, every bank does not have one.

Where did you get your handcycle and what do you think of it?
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Playable

Handcycle

Post by Playable » Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:58 pm

Hey!

Thanks for the replies. Any feedback is fantastic! I purchased my handcycle from a friend, who also has paralysis. It's an Australian Company called Greenspeed. I like this bike because it has fat tires. Unlike most road handcycles. This handcycle also has a wide range of gears which means I can travel easily on steep or harsh surfaces.

Currently, I'm looking into hauling my wheelchair in a bike trailer behind the handcycle. That way I'm able to travel long distances and still have the ability to go into camps, port-a-potties, etc.

As for Mr. Fixit... you're correct. He is no longer in charge of Camp Hot Wheelz. Instead, he put me in touch with Wayne. I'm going to talk to both Wayne and Mr. Fixit.

Do you know if Vedges & Gimps (Great name) and Hot Wheelz are collaborating again this year?

Cheers!

Stan (Playable)
Stan

Return to “The Greeter's Station”