SLOW IT DOWN WHILE DRIVING THROUGH THE RESERVATION!!!

Start here - tell us about yourself and what brings you to ePlaya.

Will you try to be aware of how fast your driving through the Pyramid Lake Paiute Reservation?

yes, I will be aware of how fast i'm driving
18%
yes, I will be aware of how fast i'm driving
18%
hell no, I've got hurry up and get there, I don't even care if I cause an accident
3%
hell no, I've got hurry up and get there, I don't even care if I cause an accident
3%
I will make every conscious effort to be a safe and legal driver!
21%
I will make every conscious effort to be a safe and legal driver!
21%
Heidi, why you makin me poll such a lame question
9%
Heidi, why you makin me poll such a lame question
9%

Total votes: 80

Pyramid Lake Woman

SLOW IT DOWN WHILE DRIVING THROUGH THE RESERVATION!!!

Post by Pyramid Lake Woman » Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:34 pm

OK, so as everyone is slowly building their anticipation for the annual trek to BRC, I would like to remind EVERYONE who happens to read this post to PLEASE SLOW IT DOWN WHILE DRIVING ON THE REZ. My name is Heidi McCluskey, and I live here in Wadsworth, NV which is on the Pyramid Lake Paiute Reservation. And every year since the location has been up past Gerlach, we've all sat back and watched the thousands and thousands of you make the journey through our roads. And while the majority of travelers to the event follow the speed limit signs, there are soooooooo many of you who forget that your passing through a regular community. You are passing right through a school zone IF, your coming in from off of Interstate 80. The Speed Limit through that school zone is 15 mph, yet I've watched people drive :oops: 2x, 3x the posted speed limit. While pretty much most of us don't mind this yearly disruption, as it brings revenue into our area....it can be frustrating to see cars flying through at all hours of the day/night. Our kids have to cross the highway to get from one side of our town to the other.
Sooooooooooooo, If I have made at least one person aware of this danger then my post was well worth it.
I wish each and every one of you a peaceful and safe journey while driving the speed limit through our unique reservation.
much love......Heidi
Just keep an eye on your speedometer......

DoriumLux

Re: SLOW IT DOWN WHILE DRIVING THROUGH THE RESERVATION!!!

Post by DoriumLux » Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:52 pm

Pyramid Lake Woman wrote:OK, so as everyone is slowly building their anticipation for the annual trek to BRC, I would like to remind EVERYONE who happens to read this post to PLEASE SLOW IT DOWN WHILE DRIVING ON THE REZ. My name is Heidi McCluskey, and I live here in Wadsworth, NV which is on the Pyramid Lake Paiute Reservation. And every year since the location has been up past Gerlach, we've all sat back and watched the thousands and thousands of you make the journey through our roads. And while the majority of travelers to the event follow the speed limit signs, there are soooooooo many of you who forget that your passing through a regular community. You are passing right through a school zone IF, your coming in from off of Interstate 80. The Speed Limit through that school zone is 15 mph, yet I've watched people drive :oops: 2x, 3x the posted speed limit. While pretty much most of us don't mind this yearly disruption, as it brings revenue into our area....it can be frustrating to see cars flying through at all hours of the day/night. Our kids have to cross the highway to get from one side of our town to the other.
Sooooooooooooo, If I have made at least one person aware of this danger then my post was well worth it.
I wish each and every one of you a peaceful and safe journey while driving the speed limit through our unique reservation.
much love......Heidi
Hello Heidi, I agree. People need to slow down, be safe and respectful while on the reservation. People also need to make sure they are respectful on ANY of the reservation land. I always help try to spread the word. I hope this year will be better than in the past.

Sham

Post by Sham » Sun Jun 14, 2009 5:45 pm

Hi Heidi,
I think we are all with you 100% on this. I can't imagine what it would be like to have 50,000 people driving down my street like that, and I know how intrusive this must be.

We had an accident here yesterday in which a 4 year old girl was hit by a car and ultimately died. While the drivers must slow down, this is a good opportunity to teach the kids to watch for traffic while crossing the streets. Between the local parents, schools, town officials and from the Burning Man end, I think all can be educated to keep all the local residents--especially the kids, safe.

Your message is loud and clear and thank you for taking the time to remind everyone!

wedeliver
Burning Since: 1998

Post by wedeliver » Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:24 pm

Great thread. Thanks for posting the reminder. If you don't mind I would be willing to post this on tribe for you.. or perhaps someone who is a big tribe person might jump forward and take this task.

Oh, I might be talking to a real "tribe" member. Tribe is another website and it has a bit of a more "active" user base. There is a burningman tribe there with over 20,000 members. Eplaya says 16,000 users and probably most users are on both boards

That still does not get the message to everyone, it would be nice if the borg could find some way to help with this issue, as I am sure it is a mess in Wadsworth as we come through.
I'm a topless shirtcocking yahoo hippie

www.eaglesnestrvpark.com

Ugly Dougly
Burning Since: 1996

Post by Ugly Dougly » Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:36 pm

That's cool Heidi. I will not only slow down, but I will make you an honorary barbarian.

Simon of the Playa
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Post by Simon of the Playa » Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:37 pm

absolutely...the playa will be there when you get there, there's no rush.

why risk ruining your burn, or someones life because you wanted to get there before something happened, whatever that something is.

check out the scenery...buy an indian taco, or just say hi.

the drive from reno is breathtaking, why miss it because you're hauling ass and trying to pass that rv thats only doing 55 when you know you can do 90.

how many accidents have happened for this reason alone?

there are free range areas past nixon too, where cows jump out like jackalopes, and the LEOs are there too, waiting for you to be stupid.

if you feel like assisting the local reservation financially, by all means do, but better to do it voluntarily, instead of thru a fine...

those signs go from 65 to 55 to 45 to 35 to 25 REAL QUICK LIKE...

ok, i'm done...i'm making myself sick here...

GO AHEAD FUCKOS, SPEED THRU TOWN, MORE FUCKING PLAYA FOR ME!
Frida Be You & Me

Playa Tom

Post by Playa Tom » Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:13 pm

The small communities are serious about their speed limits. They tend to have a 25 mph speed limit for a mile or two beyond the first sign of habitation. When you get close to a town lookfor the signs and slow down, 25 is manditory 23 is better. The speed limit in school zones is 15 that's fifteen kids. The crosswalk laws are being more strictly enforced too.
I do not know that burners are being targeted for tickets but it is easier to get a ticket if you have 'foreign' especially California plates.
Support the people on the rez, buy a couple tacos, not an expensive ticket.

Deb Prothero

Post by Deb Prothero » Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:20 pm

Thanks for the reminder, Heidi;

I usually try to go just under the limits in the small towns.

About the school zone, can you tell me the answer here. I thought it was 25 mph except in the school zone ONLY when the light was flashing.

Have I got that wrong?

Because to be sure, I read the sign and it said 15 mph when flashing. I will doublecheck again on my way through and will definitely obey the signs.

Thecatman
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: alone

Post by Thecatman » Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:02 pm

Deb Prothero wrote:About the school zone, can you tell me the answer here. I thought it was 25 mph except in the school zone ONLY when the light was flashing.
If the yellow light is flashing, slow down to 14mph. It don't matter if you see any kids present or not. Keep in mind the posted speed of 25 through Nixon where the tribal police will pop you for going 25 1/8. Since were on the subject, as a highway worker, don't forget to slow down for any speed reductions in work/construction zones on the superslabs. (Freeways) I know when we have to close a lane on I80, we post the speed at 55 with plenty of warning.

Deb Prothero

Post by Deb Prothero » Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:07 am

Thanks for the update, theCatman

Appreciate a local perspective. Keep safe on the highways and biways.

Ugly Dougly

Post by Ugly Dougly » Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:35 am

Set up a fry-bread stand and you get slow traffic. :)

Barbie

Post by Barbie » Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:37 am

And Remember as YOU LEAVE Burning MAn TO have enough REST before trying to drive HOME!!!!!

PAY Attention TO HOW YOU TIE YOUR STUFF ON YOUR CAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:

NO reason TO have all that TRASH all OVER the ROAD - YOU GOT IT THERE NOW TAKE IT HOME!!!!!! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!

Okay THen - HAve a Safe Journey TO And From Our Fair City!
If I were to wish ANYTHING I'd wish I were ME!!

Barbie

Post by Barbie » Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:47 am

Ohhhh and

Hi Heidi Welcome to Eplaya! Hope you get a chance to check out the art and camps sites once and a while! You can get in on a day pass for a decent price -I believe. Make sure to come by Blackie's Bar & Grill 9:15 and the second to the last ring for a Sun Tea OR cocktail!
If I were to wish ANYTHING I'd wish I were ME!!

oneeyeddick

Post by oneeyeddick » Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:17 pm

No such thing as a one day pass now.

Not sure if Wadsworth or Nixon get in as locals either, but they used to be able to.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.

Deb Prothero

Post by Deb Prothero » Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:14 pm

Bev at Bev's Miner's Bar told me she goes on the Art Tour for locals. A bus comes to pick them up and they go in for a few hours.

actiongrl

Post by actiongrl » Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:14 am

Specifically, Bev goes on the senior citizens' tour. I don't think we do a locals art tour for everyone, just the folks from the senior center (Artery folks, correct me if I'm wrong).

DoriumLux

Post by DoriumLux » Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:55 am

actiongrl wrote:Specifically, Bev goes on the senior citizens' tour. I don't think we do a locals art tour for everyone, just the folks from the senior center (Artery folks, correct me if I'm wrong).
I always wondered about this since I saw an elder care type bus a few years back touring BM. I thought it was great.

Sham

Post by Sham » Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:36 pm

The senior citizen's bus makes a trip out to the playa every year for the local residents to see the amazing art on the playa. It's always fun to see their faces pressed up against the windows looking for nakedness. I love watching the bus! :roll:

Simon of the Playa
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Post by Simon of the Playa » Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:59 pm

The senior citizen's bus makes a trip out to the playa every year for the local residents to see the amazing art on the playa. It's always fun to see their faces pressed up against the windows looking for nakedness. I love watching the bus!

that wasn't my face pressed against the window, you jerk.

ok, some have been known to say my ass looks like ernest borgnine's face in the right light.

ok, one person said it.
Frida Be You & Me

Sham

Post by Sham » Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:08 pm

Simon of the Playa wrote:
The senior citizen's bus makes a trip out to the playa every year for the local residents to see the amazing art on the playa. It's always fun to see their faces pressed up against the windows looking for nakedness. I love watching the bus!

that wasn't my face pressed against the window, you jerk.

ok, some have been known to say my ass looks like ernest borgnine's face in the right light.

ok, one person said it.
So, it was probably just hemoroids and you weren't sticking your tongue out at me! I guess I owe you an apology! :roll:

Pyramid Lake Woman

Clarification..................

Post by Pyramid Lake Woman » Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:56 pm

The School Zone is in effect Monday - Friday 8:00am - 2:30pm...and the speed limit during those times is 15 MPH. Natchez Elementary starts school the week before Burning Man begins.

Any other time of the given day the speed limit through Wadsworth is 25MPH.

And this past year it seemed as if there were more Washoe County Sheriff's assisting the Pyramid Lake Tribal Police ...maybe due to the the sheer volume of cars passing through.
I've watched as people who fly through get pulled over, and somehow they've given our police some sort of cause (which is BS) to search their vehicles....No shit, I've watched a lot of people over the years end up getting hauled away to Parr Blvd Detention Facility (warrants or drugs I've presumed ??) BUT...had they not been speeding, they would never have been pulled over.

Thank you for taking the time to read this post....If this will make you think for a moment, and slow it down..then this post was worthwhile.

mykidsdaddy

Post by mykidsdaddy » Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:06 pm

Excellent post Lake Woman! Ya just gotta wonder what kinda person would speed through a school zone anyway! There is NO excuse to speed in a school zone!

And an additional heads up...when you are almost to Empire, the sheriff sits about 100 feet south of the Empire Store Gas Station watching approaching traffic on his radar. You will be dropping from 70MPH to 45MPH in a very short time. He sits there sometimes for over an hour. He is very patient! Don't let impatience ruin your trip!
Inside every older person is a younger person wondering, "What the Hell happened?"

Boijoy
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Metro Mart

Post by Boijoy » Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:12 pm

AND.. If you just happen to come up on a white 1984 v.w. camper van that's only going 45mph up a hill or 60mph on the freeway...
GIVE THAT PERSON A FREAKING BREAK AND GET OFF HER ASS.. SHE'S GIVING IT ALL SHE'S GOT !! not that I know who that might be.. i'm just sayin'. :?
don't forget to floss

Playa Tom

Post by Playa Tom » Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:46 pm

I drove through the southern part of the rez yesterday. Saw two tribal cops, one came out of his hiding place and stopped the car in front of me, the other was lurking about. I was driving at the speed limit, I only look stupid.

goathead
Burning Since: 1999

Re: Clarification..................

Post by goathead » Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:37 pm

Pyramid Lake Woman wrote:The School Zone is in effect Monday - Friday 8:00am - 2:30pm...and the speed limit during those times is 15 MPH.
Heidi
The school zone is 15 mhp when the lights are flashing.
If this is incorrect they need to change the signs.

While I agree they need to really slow down I wish I would see more tribal cops out on the highway working and nailing idiots for real stupid shit I see every year, instead on just working a speed trap like they do.

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Re: Clarification..................

Post by ygmir » Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:01 am

goathead wrote:
Pyramid Lake Woman wrote:The School Zone is in effect Monday - Friday 8:00am - 2:30pm...and the speed limit during those times is 15 MPH.
Heidi
The school zone is 15 mhp when the lights are flashing.
If this is incorrect they need to change the signs.

While I agree they need to really slow down I wish I would see more tribal cops out on the highway working and nailing idiots for real stupid shit I see every year, instead on just working a speed trap like they do.
yeah, like those turds that pass 15 cars at a time, on blind hills.......and, just zip back (hoping someone will make room for them) in when someones coming in the other lane.......
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Pyramid Lake Woman

school zone.....

Post by Pyramid Lake Woman » Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:45 pm

Yes......you are correct......15mph when flashing........, and yup those flippin tribal pigs sit waiting....years ago, they would sit in the evening time without any lights on. But tribal members complained about this practice, and now if their sitting their waiting for their prey, they have to have their parking lights on.

Sail Man
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

Post by Sail Man » Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:46 pm

Boijoy wrote:AND.. If you just happen to come up on a white 1984 v.w. camper van that's only going 45mph up a hill or 60mph on the freeway...
GIVE THAT PERSON A FREAKING BREAK AND GET OFF HER ASS.. SHE'S GIVING IT ALL SHE'S GOT !! not that I know who that might be.. i'm just sayin'. :?
Hmmm, you want maybe, a little nudge on yer behind to get you going faster :wink:

:lol:
Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact

Bounce530
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: BRC Guardian Landing pad

Post by Bounce530 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:57 pm

Sail Man wrote:
Boijoy wrote:AND.. If you just happen to come up on a white 1984 v.w. camper van that's only going 45mph up a hill or 60mph on the freeway...
Hmmm, you want maybe, a little nudge on yer behind to get you going faster :wink:

:lol:
Last year an unknown year blue VW camper van went flying past the Sunday midnight centipede before Gerlach in the oncoming traffic lane. As fast as that thing was going I'm suprised I didn't see rolled over on the side of the road, or crumbled up on somebodies dashboard...The funny thing about it is I stayed in line, didn't even think about trying to pass, cause really whats the point, but I ended up getting through the gates before that idiot did, cause I did get by it in the gate lines...haha bitches!!
What other people think about you is none of your business.

goathead
Burning Since: 1999

Re: school zone.....

Post by goathead » Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:14 am

Pyramid Lake Woman wrote:Yes......you are correct......15mph when flashing........, and yup those flippin tribal pigs sit waiting....years ago, they would sit in the evening time without any lights on. But tribal members complained about this practice, and now if their sitting their waiting for their prey, they have to have their parking lights on.
LMAO
They do?
In the three times I have been pulled over this year none of them have any lights on. But then again it has always been early in the am coming to work on a call out. I cann't complain though they always pull me over for small stuff and haven't written me a ticket.

But durning BM they always write me tickets for front lic plate in the window instead of on the bumper, tail light ect..... Which the judge has always thrown out.

Just wish they would put more effort into patroling north of Nixon where the really stupid shit goes on.

Return to “The Greeter's Station”