5 Irish virgin burners!!... or burning virgins!!

Start here - tell us about yourself and what brings you to ePlaya.
calamityjane.ie

5 Irish virgin burners!!... or burning virgins!!

Post by calamityjane.ie » Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:52 pm

Hello from Dublin!!

We've been reading, with interest and delight, lots of posts and articles about pretty much everything related to (and some not so related) the burning man!

CAN NOT WAIT!!!!

Every friend we've told has screamed down the phone on hearing our news!!!... "I'm so jealous" being the main response! Any questions we have had have been pretty well answered on this forum by what sounds like lots of like minded souls giving lots of great advise.

There's just one "burning" issue that we haven't found the answer to!!!

BICYCLES!!!!

As we're coming from Ireland, we can't bring our own so we're just wondering how plentiful and available they are on the playa?

We'll post the question again separately but we just wanted to say hi and hope to meet every single one of you in a couple of weeks :-)

Colette & Paul[/u]
Cant wait cant wait cant wait!!!!!!

dragonpilot
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Elliot's Bicycle Repair

Post by dragonpilot » Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:22 pm

Bikes are a very nice to have thing on the playa...makes it easier to get to far flung places, trips to buy ice, jot to the J.O.T.S (Johnny on the Spot porta pots)...that being said, they are not essential.

If you're flying into Reno, every playa worthy bike for a 200 mile radius has probably already been snapped up...but check the big department stores like Target and WalMart...their bikes will be starting in the $70-$80 price range.

There are a limited number of free bikes available on the playa for everyone to use. They are not intended for you to keep for the week, but to use temporarily and then make it available for someone else to use. Don't put your own lock on these bikes...if locked, the lock w/b cut.

I've learned to enjoy the playa much more at night on foot. On foot you tend to take more notice of things that you'd miss on a bike. Plus it's easier to get separated from your party at night on a bike.

Good luck!
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.

trenton

Post by trenton » Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:13 pm

Flew out of Dublin once and saw grafitti on a building that said" Last one out turn out the lights"
Have a safe trip home!!!

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:48 pm

trenton wrote:Flew out of Dublin once and saw grafitti on a building that said" Last one out turn out the lights"
Left over from the Great Hunger.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

geminiRanger

Post by geminiRanger » Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:24 pm

mmmm virgins

nomnomnom

Boijoy
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Metro Mart

Post by Boijoy » Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:43 pm

mmmmm Irish virgins
don't forget to floss

NevadaGrl

Dublin Burners...and bikes

Post by NevadaGrl » Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:19 pm

Hello - I was in your fair city (and around the rest of your lovely green Isle) in May...any way I can assist you let me know! There is a great org called the Reno Bike Project that does Burner Bikes as does I believe it is the Kiwanis Club in Reno. also several bike shops in Reno will let you purchase and hold for you a bike for the Burn. How are you getting the bikes to the playa? What are you renting and does it have a bike rack or space for tying on that many bikes?
Nevada Grl

calamityjane.ie

Hi there!

Post by calamityjane.ie » Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:32 pm

Hi NevadaGrl!!
Thanks for your post and offer of help, very kind!
And its good to hear you spent time in Ireland!

We are flying into Vegas and staying there for a few days before we drive up to BRC. We are hiring an RV so we can either strap them on or stick them on top. I think i'll get a cheap bike at walmart or a similar shop. I love cycling about so i'll really miss one if i don't have one.

One of our group has been to the BM a few times already but we wont be seeing him until the day we go, so i'm getting as much info from this great site as possible!!

Myself and my friend are so unbelievably excited about this amazing week ahead of us........... from what we know, have seen and read its going to be a LEGENDARY week :D

See you there hopefully XXX

swampdog
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Rising Arms Pub

Post by swampdog » Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:58 pm

Are you familiar with Craigslist? It's a mostly person-to-person classified ad web site that is very popular here. They have a page for Vegas. Sometimes you can get some great bargains there. You could look, anyway, you might find something. Then you could carry bikes inside or on top of your RV. http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/bik/

Wolfe

Post by Wolfe » Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:54 pm

"Five Irish Virgin Burners" sounds like something I would order at a bar :).

Good tagline. From one virgin burner to another: See you there :).

--Wolfe

calamityjane.ie

Post by calamityjane.ie » Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:02 pm

swampdog wrote:Are you familiar with Craigslist? It's a mostly person-to-person classified ad web site that is very popular here. They have a page for Vegas. Sometimes you can get some great bargains there. You could look, anyway, you might find something. Then you could carry bikes inside or on top of your RV. http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/bik/
Thanks swampdod :D

calamityjane.ie

Post by calamityjane.ie » Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:05 pm

Wolfe wrote:"Five Irish Virgin Burners" sounds like something I would order at a bar :).

Good tagline. From one virgin burner to another: See you there :).

--Wolfe
Ha ha yeah " can i have 5 flaming virgin burners bar tend?"

See you there Wolf :wink:

zerosomething

Irish Burner (drink)

Post by zerosomething » Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:40 pm

2 oz. Irish Whiskey
Splash of 151 Rum
Match
it all starts at zero

calamityjane.ie

Post by calamityjane.ie » Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:35 am

Note to self............ stock plenty of whiskey and Rum!!!

The Flaming Irish Virgin Burners are on me :D

Wolfe

Post by Wolfe » Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:27 am

calamityjane.ie wrote:Note to self............ stock plenty of whiskey and Rum!!!

The Flaming Irish Virgin Burners are on me :D
Name the camp you're in; I want to be there for a Flaming Irish Virgin Burner :).

--Wolfe

calamityjane.ie

Post by calamityjane.ie » Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:34 pm

We will be looking for a camp when we get there! We rekon we'll find the right camp when we get there! This trip is a very last minute thing........... i still cant believe i'm going :D

Yippppppppeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!

Return to “The Greeter's Station”