Hi, BM virgin and going as community Handyman

Start here - tell us about yourself and what brings you to ePlaya.
Cubalombian

Hi, BM virgin and going as community Handyman

Post by Cubalombian » Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:32 am

I am going for the first time this year and want to help folks as a community handyman. Fix, repair and install whatever I can to the best of my ability.

My question is what are the major situations I should prepare for? What kinds of tools do I need? What are the most common problems?

Thanks

Sham

Post by Sham » Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:59 am

I always bring the basic tools to fix bikes. Open end wrenches, sockets set, pliers, screw drivers. Also, hammer, small sledge hammer, test meter, electrical tools for those pesky art cars that have home made wiring. No matter what tools I bring and have at our camp, I ALWAYS keep my Swiss army knife with me at all times. I could do open heart surgery with that foolish thing! :D

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:25 pm

Swiss Knifes are so 20th Century. Move up to Leatherman!

Hm. Pounding rebar. Pulling rebar. Basic car shit--jumper cables for exodus, cars sitting for a week with a door ajar could be dead.

The joke is that dpw has two modes: things that move and shouldn't--duck tape--and things that don't move and should--WD40.

So, around camp. Camp stoves, tents, would soldering equipment be good for el wire wierdness?

Anyone?
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

ChillyFire

Post by ChillyFire » Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:01 am

for el wire, solder is great. those sweet little cool touch soldering irons are awesome, battery operated, but spendy $$. for regular soldering any kind of thin electric solder should do just fine. fixed many a el wires for friends
Infinite Ripples Of Space And Time
Running Through My Mind...

Return to “The Greeter's Station”