Burning Dreams. A first timers impression

Start here - tell us about yourself and what brings you to ePlaya.
zcassidy

Burning Dreams. A first timers impression

Post by zcassidy » Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:48 pm

The first few days I came back 'home' I felt 'home' sick. It occurred to me why so many people said, 'welcome home' when we arrived at the gates. I haven't missed something like this since, well, a comparison isn't fitting. Emotional I felt. At the Playa I longed to be. I was excited to get to the gates this year but now that I've been through them, and became familiar with this new home, I can only imagine the anticipation I will be feeling next year! To be free again...

So far Burning Man has played a role in almost every dream I've had since I returned home. Curiously, I cant recall dreaming while I was there. This may be because I never got enough of the right kind of sleep. In a way, it was like a traumatic experience. When I studied trauma theory I remember learning how trauma is an event so unparalleled and novel that the brain has nothing to compare it to and thus the event is not recorded like a regular memory. Without an adequate comparison the brain must slowly leek out fragments of the unexplainable experience over time. Inevitably, what the brain pieces together is never what actually occurred. Over the past week my brain has been trying to 'make sense' of what I've seen (and done) and to that I say, "good luck!" But burning man was not what would be considered a typical case of trauma I guess. Instead of horror and disbelief it was disbelief with a water truck full of joy. My mind was so free I hardly stopped to think, or at least think how I've been programed to, like considering consequences and real world scenarios. All of that went out of the window the 2nd night. Because of this I never made mental notes, never looked back farther then my shadow, and if it wasn't for my fellow Bobas (my camp mates), I would have probably completely succumbed to the joyful blur of a positive traumatic experience.

Thankfully, the back of my brain took some notes and I've been blessed with some amazing dreams. Its been over two weeks since the man burned but part of me is still there, trying to play catch-up with the rest of my mind. Ironically, when I was at burning man all I had to do was keep my eyes open long enough and something amazing would happen. Now, all I have to do is keep my eyes closed long enough and I find myself back on the Playa at night. Thanks to everyone, and please, I am interested in YOUR dreams so write...

Oh and if you came across a silver sony digi (7.2 mp) at some point drop me a line
Be absurd with your goodness

Artemis

Post by Artemis » Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:28 am

I too have had a lot of burning dreams over the last few weeks.

I only ride a bike about once a year (at Burning Man) but for months afterwards bikes are the main way of transport in my dreams.

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:47 am

a year long dream that I wake from about at about Nixon..........and return to a week after the Man burns........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Sail Man
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

Post by Sail Man » Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:16 am

My dreams about the burn seemed to ramp up in the time period leading up to the burn. I've had maybe one or two since.

Yesterday I got all dusty again as I had the day off and continued to clean up my stuff from the burn. It was fun looking at my hands all covered with playa dust only to remind myself that next year to take more big ziploc bags so everything doesnt get so freaking dusty.

Oh how I long to be back on the playa with my friends.
Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact

littleflower

Post by littleflower » Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:38 am

last night i dreamt that i bought a little hexa-yurt, and i woke up planning how to fit it in with my other playa things! i'm still trying to convince myself it was only a dream.... sigh ....

Ugly Dougly
Burning Since: 1996

Post by Ugly Dougly » Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:21 am

This, therefore, is a faded dream of the time when I went down into the dust and noise of the Eastern market-place, and with my brain and muscles, with sweat and constant thinking, made others see my visions coming true. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that all was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, and make it possible.

-T.E. Lawrence ("Lawrence of Arabia")

Homiesinheaven
Burning Since: 2008

Post by Homiesinheaven » Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:36 am

playa dreams have been common among my friends since we've been back. one friend who was a 2009 virgin had a BM dream every single night the week we got back. for me the dreams are not as frequent as they were after my first year. however, i can instantly return to the playa whenever anything intense happens. watching my favorite band play live, being in nature with friends, orgasms, meditation, prayer, etc. i just close my eyes and can perfectly see this:

it is awesome.

marcgorcey

Post by marcgorcey » Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:30 am

I dreamt that we flew back to Black Rock Desert from Canada for our own decomp. It was cold but we were smiling the whole time.

Boijoy
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Metro Mart

Post by Boijoy » Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:47 am

I take a little journey back to the playa every time I smell hand sanitizer. :)
don't forget to floss

zcassidy

thanks!

Post by zcassidy » Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:51 am

Thanks everyone for sharing your personal experiences. Of course, I dreamed of the playa last night. This time I was preparing, driving, and arriving with two people who have never been before. Ugly Dougly, that is a great quote from a great movie, I must watch it again soon. Homiesinheaven, thanks for sharing the pic, I can almost teleport there just looking at the playa by night.

I wish you all more dreams of that other reality.

justfred

Post by justfred » Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:52 pm

I've been going since 1997. When people ask what keeps me coming back, that's the answer: the dreams I have the rest of the year. Friends, music, art, the chance to get away from the default world, all are important, but.

Often they aren't even on the playa - they're in a city, or on an island, or next to a stream - but they are still obviously Burning dreams. Theme camps, dust storms, bike riding, fluorescent weirdness. Nighttime substance-independent flashbacks.

Speaking of mind-altering substances, if you're having a hard time getting them back, I suggest increasingly spicy Indian food just before bedtime.
What goes around, comes around.

Ugly Dougly
Burning Since: 1996

Re: thanks!

Post by Ugly Dougly » Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:06 pm

zcassidy wrote:Ugly Dougly, that is a great quote from a great movie, I must watch it again soon.
Glad you liked it. I am not sure if it is featured in the movie.

twang2000

Post by twang2000 » Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:55 pm

I get what your saying about "trama dreams". I keep dreaming of that first monday night, my virgin night, hiding,alone and scared, in my little tent during the storm. Scared about being there, and what was to come. would I survive the storm?
Needless to say I did, and ended up having a great time. but I'm still dreaming of the night in the storm. It's funny how those kind of thing effect the brain.

zcassidy

Post by zcassidy » Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:05 pm

justfred, I have the same sense of 'Burningman' in my dreams even though I may be at some other location entirely. The dream embodies the energy of the playa. It's funny you mention Thai food because it is one of my favorite and regular home made meals!

Return to “The Greeter's Station”