Newbie family

Start here - tell us about yourself and what brings you to ePlaya.
Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:04 pm

@octoboi I would venture to say that you didn't see too many kids because you didn't go where the kids were. Did you ever even venture over towards Kidsville? I didn't see too many my first burn either, but I never went to any areas that were especially designed to accomodate them.

Regarding "inocence", didn't that one start in the garden of eden??? I thought there was no shame or inocence before eve (note, that eve was a women ;)) ate the apple. All bulshit.

Kids don't need to be protected, they just need their parents to be honest with them and not give them a distorted view of what they are seeing at burning man--or anywhere else for that matter. Hell, parents freak out if they catch their kid masturbating and that's usually the start of kids problems with sex and body image; (Not the kid masturbating, but their parents inappropriate reaction to it.)

JK
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:48 pm

The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:52 pm

I think that children are far more damaged by being the targets of today's intense marketing campaigns than they are by incidentally witnessing adult sexuality.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:13 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:I think that children are far more damaged by being the targets of today's intense marketing campaigns than they are by incidentally witnessing adult sexuality.
Amen to that!

JK
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

octoboi

Post by octoboi » Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:26 pm

Jkisha,

You are correct in that I didn't really travel to Kidsville, mostly I think because I'm not a kid (well not physically) and had no real reason to venture into that area. I did pass the area a few times, and I do recall seeing a few children off and on, just not very many.

And on your points, I agree wholeheartedly. But then again I was raised by my mother who felt that knowledge is a good thing and thus I was not really sheltered from the rawness of the world. If I had questions, I had only to ask and there was no taboo in the subject of my questions and never a feeling like I shouldn't be asking. I believe that this lead me to live a life that was very open and allowed me to be very understanding of different beliefs and cultures. Ok, my mind is racing from the massive caffeine burst I had earlier and thus I feel that if I continue, it will only be mindless drivel and thus I am stopping here.

D. (playa name incoming)
jkisha wrote:@octoboi I would venture to say that you didn't see too many kids because you didn't go where the kids were. Did you ever even venture over towards Kidsville? I didn't see too many my first burn either, but I never went to any areas that were especially designed to accomodate them.

Regarding "inocence", didn't that one start in the garden of eden??? I thought there was no shame or inocence before eve (note, that eve was a women ;)) ate the apple. All bulshit.

Kids don't need to be protected, they just need their parents to be honest with them and not give them a distorted view of what they are seeing at burning man--or anywhere else for that matter. Hell, parents freak out if they catch their kid masturbating and that's usually the start of kids problems with sex and body image; (Not the kid masturbating, but their parents inappropriate reaction to it.)

JK

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:42 pm

What the fruck am I gonna say in my repeat post?

Should I have used "fruck" or "frock"?
The Lady with a Lamprey

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:42 pm

octoboi wrote: You are correct in that I didn't really travel to Kidsville, mostly I think because I'm not a kid (well not physically) and had no real reason to venture into that area. I did pass the area a few times, and I do recall seeing a few children off and on, just not very many.
Personally, and I'm not directing this at anyone, I feel that segregation by age is one of the great tragedies we bring upon ourselves in this culture.

(Oh my dear, fucking dwag. I am turning into one of those annoying burningman utopianizers. Unclean, unclean! *rings bell*)
The Lady with a Lamprey

octoboi

Utopianizer?

Post by octoboi » Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:04 pm

Says the person who probably fits the bill, "What, praytell, is a Utopianizer?"

D. (playa name is on the tip of my tongue)
theCryptofishist wrote:
octoboi wrote: You are correct in that I didn't really travel to Kidsville, mostly I think because I'm not a kid (well not physically) and had no real reason to venture into that area. I did pass the area a few times, and I do recall seeing a few children off and on, just not very many.
Personally, and I'm not directing this at anyone, I feel that segregation by age is one of the great tragedies we bring upon ourselves in this culture.

(Oh my dear, fucking dwag. I am turning into one of those annoying burningman utopianizers. Unclean, unclean! *rings bell*)

littleflower

Post by littleflower » Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:15 pm

well ... lol ... there are many opinions ...

i am far more comfortable with the "idea" that childhood innocence is less than 200 years old, than a declarative statement that it is so. in fishy's third source it mentions a quote by christ about the innocence of children ... and, even if you don't believe in christ, or anything he said, there is somewhat less doubt of the existence of the gospels, or their age.

another point i would make about the sources - several of them refer to a difference between the children of the upper and lower classes. i do not doubt this ... but again, it suggests the value of childhood innocence, in that those who could afford to shelter their children have generally tended to do so.

children are born knowing NOTHING ... and there is an infinite amount of stuff to learn. there are plenty of sources in the world to learn about adult behavior. parents are charged with directing their children's education, sexual and otherwise, and it is up to the parents to decide what is important.

but back to burningman ... i will continue to argue that information is the key ... and if you're OK with taking your kids to a sexually charged, drug induced environment, fine! OK ... so I wouldn't be there if it was THAT bad, and if the presence of kids keeps it a little bit cleaner, i am all for having them there. i love kids, and loved seeing them... and we got plenty in our kid friendly camp.

but i still wouldn't bring the little ones. that's just me.

Das Bus

Post by Das Bus » Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:09 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:Personally, and I'm not directing this at anyone, I feel that segregation by age is one of the great tragedies we bring upon ourselves in this culture.

]
Crypto:

I do not feel that Kidsville is segregation. We are families that camp together by choice, not because we are forced to camp there. Most families don't camp with us. They camp with friends/themecamps, etc... that want to be set up elsewhere on the playa. If the Org or BLM tried to force us to camp in a certain area, I'd be the first one to protest.
Medicated and Motivated!

Sham

Post by Sham » Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:05 pm

Das Bus wrote:
theCryptofishist wrote:Personally, and I'm not directing this at anyone, I feel that segregation by age is one of the great tragedies we bring upon ourselves in this culture.

]
Crypto:

I do not feel that Kidsville is segregation. We are families that camp together by choice, not because we are forced to camp there. Most families don't camp with us. They camp with friends/themecamps, etc... that want to be set up elsewhere on the playa. If the Org or BLM tried to force us to camp in a certain area, I'd be the first one to protest.
I agree with Crytofishist on segregating by age. I think that camps should be segregated by race, regardless of age. All ages should be able to live in harmony with one another. :D

gyre

Post by gyre » Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:25 pm

Shambala wrote:
Das Bus wrote:

]
Crypto:

I agree with Crytofishist on segregating by age. I think that camps should be segregated by race, regardless of age. All ages should be able to live in harmony with one another. :D
Somehow that seems wildly inappropriate.
I'm not sure why.

Maybe separate by religion instead?

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:25 pm

Shambala wrote:
Das Bus wrote:

]
Crypto:

DasBus, I missed this before. I don't think you're segregating yourselves by age. I think we are missing out on the opportunities we have to be with children in a much less grown-up setting and one that doesn't have the same stressors. I may be a cranky old opinionated stubborn misanthrope, but I hate all people equally.

And shamballa--if you take one kumbaya singing step closer to me, I will be forced to become violent.
The Lady with a Lamprey

bmcgahey

You all are great!

Post by bmcgahey » Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:24 pm

Thank you for the advice and the candor! We let the kids watch TV, so I am not too worried about what they will see on the playa. I have less of a problem with sex than with violence.

Physically, I will see about the goggles, they do wear swim goggles very willingly. Not sure about the dust masks, maybe we can work on the bandit or ninja angle

I can't believe how welcoming you all are. I can't wait to meet you in person :)

ibdave
Burning Since: 1998

Re: You all are great!

Post by ibdave » Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:38 pm

bmcgahey wrote:
I can't believe how welcoming you all are. I can't wait to meet you in person :)
You May live to regret saying that....

i'm just saying..... :shock: :shock: :shock:
I was Born OK the 1st Time....

Don't bring defaultia to Burning Man, take Burning Man to defaultia...... graidawg

Sham

Post by Sham » Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:13 pm

theCryptofishist wrote: And shamballa--if you take one kumbaya singing step closer to me, I will be forced to become violent.
Could it be that I pushed this dear sweet woman to violence? I guess I have an ability that I never knew I had. Rock on Fishy!

Sail Man
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

Post by Sail Man » Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:07 am

ibdave wrote:
bmcgahey wrote:

Yeah, we're a huggy kinda people. Just make sure you check for you wallet afterwards :twisted:

:lol:
Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact

goathead
Burning Since: 1999

Post by goathead » Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:26 am

Sail Man wrote:
ibdave wrote:
bmcgahey wrote:

Yeah, we're a huggy kinda people. Just make sure you check for you wallet afterwards :twisted:

and I thought you where just being nice and scratching an itch I had..
:twisted:

Sail Man

Post by Sail Man » Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:29 am

goathead wrote:
Sail Man wrote:
ibdave wrote: You May live to regret saying that....

Actually I was measuring to see how big of a carpet roll we'd need to truss you up in for your trip to Barbie Death Camp :lol:

goathead

Post by goathead » Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:33 am

Sail Man wrote:
goathead wrote:
Sail Man wrote: Yeah, we're a huggy kinda people. Just make sure you check for you wallet afterwards :twisted:

Actually I was measuring to see how big of a carpet roll we'd need to truss you up in for your trip to Barbie Death Camp :lol:
No furry handcuffs, leather and chains?
:shock:

Sail Man

Post by Sail Man » Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:01 pm

goathead wrote:
Sail Man wrote:
goathead wrote:

Pick your color, big boy :wink: :lol:

ygmir
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:09 pm

goathead wrote:
Sail Man wrote:
ibdave wrote: You May live to regret saying that....

wouldn't he be scratching that itch with only one finger?
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

H.G.Crosby

Post by H.G.Crosby » Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:24 pm

i still got dibbs on the 12 year old.
Once I noticed I was on fire, I decided to relax and enjoy the fall™

goathead

Post by goathead » Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:41 pm

Sail Man wrote:
goathead wrote:
Sail Man wrote: Actually I was measuring to see how big of a carpet roll we'd need to truss you up in for your trip to Barbie Death Camp :lol:
Pick your color, big boy :wink: :lol:

zombie brain matter green
tis the season after all.

goathead

Post by goathead » Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:42 pm

ygmir wrote:
goathead wrote:
Sail Man wrote: Yeah, we're a huggy kinda people. Just make sure you check for you wallet afterwards :twisted:

Why would I leave him one finger?

ygmir

Post by ygmir » Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:14 pm

goathead wrote:
ygmir wrote:
goathead wrote: and I thought you where just being nice and scratching an itch I had..
wow, a fister?......GH, you sicko......
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

goathead

Post by goathead » Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:36 pm

ygmir wrote:
goathead wrote:
ygmir wrote: wouldn't he be scratching that itch with only one finger?
but Sailman knows what it takes to get to those hard to reach spots

ygmir

Post by ygmir » Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:24 pm

goathead wrote:
ygmir wrote:
goathead wrote: Why would I leave him one finger?
I can see that.......and, since it's not a stretch to jump from Sailman to Capt. Hook.....and, he'd have interchangeable ends for his arm........
he could end up your new, bestest friend......
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

gypsy68
Burning Since: 2004

Post by gypsy68 » Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:18 am

Make sure you read the First timers guide, and the Survival guide. I read both everytime I go. Helps me to remember what I need to bring.

goathead

Post by goathead » Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:38 am

ygmir wrote:
goathead wrote:
ygmir wrote: wow, a fister?......GH, you sicko......
I can see that.......and, since it's not a stretch to jump from Sailman to Capt. Hook.....and, he'd have interchangeable ends for his arm........
he could end up your new, bestest friend......
How cool would that be. He could be everybody new, bestest friend.

Return to “The Greeter's Station”