Art on the burning man

Start here - tell us about yourself and what brings you to ePlaya.
dajourney

Art on the burning man

Post by dajourney » Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:31 am

hello everyone
i attended the burning man last year and was blown away by the whole event but espacially the art
so i have decided to make my own and put it on the playa
but can any one help me in the transportation of my work from San Francisco airport to the burning man?
i am comming from ireland and just realised what a massive project i am taking on
is there anybody that has done this before or am i just really mad in taking on such a hair brained ideajavascript:emoticon(':lol:')

darren
Dajourney

Roberto Dobbisano

Post by Roberto Dobbisano » Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:29 am

dajourney wrote:hello everyone
i attended the burning man last year and was blown away by the whole event but espacially the art
so i have decided to make my own and put it on the playa
but can any one help me in the transportation of my work from San Francisco airport to the burning man?
i am comming from ireland and just realised what a massive project i am taking on
is there anybody that has done this before or am i just really mad in taking on such a hair brained ideajavascript:emoticon(':lol:')

darren
you have a bad case of sophmore meglomania.

i have seen this many times before.

Take a Valium, relax your little Irish mind, and try to downscale your playa fantasy until you have the appropriate resources...now run along, and go get yourself some lovely potatoes and whisky, and have some nice fightin' and baby makin' not necessarily in that order, b'gorrah.

they're so cute when they're european...
"10 principles? you cant HANDLE the 10 principles..."

yellowdog

Post by yellowdog » Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:43 pm

sophmore meglomania
It has a name! Seems to be a pretty universal reaction. In fact, I think I'll start a new topic about this.
Oh, and Dajourney, it IS about the journey, of course. Good luck with this, whether your art makes it to the playa or not. Forge ahead!

Of course, getting it there is just half the battle. What happens to it after the Burn?

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:39 pm

There is no "after the burn" although technically you're supposed to take your own ashes off the playa.
I've always wondered about that. How do you know how much is fair? And how do you get cold ones?
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

fciron

Post by fciron » Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:31 am

You'll have a much easier time networking and making contacts if you can let go of your project while doing that. Requests such as 'Please take me and my unspecified, but truly awesome project to the playa' are not really received well around here. It's that radical self-reliance thing. Admitting that you're in over your head is the first step to making a realistic plan.

So, try to make some friends here and other spots with people who share your interests. It's really hard to network if you have an agenda, people can tell if you only want them for a ride. Let it go and just try to find some like minded folks. Once you've got some contacts and friends you will almost certainly be able to contribute something to the art on the playa.

You might join another project that is a little further in it's planning or some people might join you to make your project even bigger and badder than you imagined. NO EXPECTATIONS!
Strickland Propane is proud to be supplying liquified natural gas explosive power to the art installations of the mega festival Burning Man!!!

Return to “The Greeter's Station”