Help Needed!!!

Start here - tell us about yourself and what brings you to ePlaya.
lonepoet86

Help Needed!!!

Post by lonepoet86 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:38 pm

Hey can someone help me out, and maybe tell me exactly what needs to be accomplished to successfully survive and enjoy Burning Man. I am a Poet from Franklin, Indiana. I've never had the chance to express myself. It always feels like nobody understands. I need to experience Burning Man for my inner-self. Please Reply. Thank You.
The killer awoke before dawn, he put his boots on. He took a face from the ancient gallery and he walked on down the hall.

motskyroonmatick
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: B.R.C. Welding&Repair

Post by motskyroonmatick » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:31 pm

What it takes to successfully survive and enjoy burning man is as varied as each participant who goes there. Some can survive and flourish with only the bare necessities and others bring much to make their time at BRC more comfortable.

It really depends on your habits and personal needs for a certain level of comfort. Only you can be the judge of that.

Start with the first timers guide that you can find on the main page. Read it many times----so many times that you can recite random parts of it at will. That is the beginning of Radical Self Reliance.

Start now by leaving expectations behind. If you bring expectations to the event they will chase you around the entire time and you will never be able to meet them. No Expectations.

Research here and other places on the web so that you can develop a plan for what gear, food and supplies you will need.

Plan. Scheme. Write and sketch it out. Practice setting up your camp.

Buy your ticket now so that you are invested.

Post your ideas here and in other threads to get feed back.

Edit: If you feel you are not understood in the default world now just wait until you have attended a burn. Then you may feel even more disconnected--except to the new community you have found. Burning man will fuck you up but it is a good fuck you up. With any luck you will be able to connect with burners before or after the burn to build community where there is a level of understanding or at least acceptance.
Black Rock City Welding & Repair. The Night Time Warming Station. iGNiTE! Bar.

Card Carrying Member BRCCP.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-

lonepoet86

Post by lonepoet86 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:48 pm

Thank You, I've been reading up everywhere, when you read about it it sounds a little intimidating. The more I read other post in this forum makes it sound a lot less because of how much people are willing to help you out maybe let you into there camps if you are alone and things like that. I am looking forward to it very much.
The killer awoke before dawn, he put his boots on. He took a face from the ancient gallery and he walked on down the hall.

motskyroonmatick

Post by motskyroonmatick » Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:03 am

Your welcome!

I was terribly intimidated my first year. It was unjustified at least in a social sense. My shade plan for my tent did not work out but I survived. It was a great year.

Try to arrive to the event as early as you can. It is really interesting to see the city morph as the week progresses.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-

Sham

Post by Sham » Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:55 am

You will find no better place in this world to express and find yourself. Yes, things may appear intimidating, but that is so far from what you actually find once you hit Black Rock City.

Prepare the best you can, but if you forget to bring something with you, ask the first person you see for help and something magical happens; a kind, helpful person will stop and assist you.

There are several stages in Center Camp that you can read your poetry from. You can perform impromptu in the street and you will attact an attentive crowd. You may bring your own tiny podium if you want. You can dress however you wish--a pink prom dress, a black tuxedo, anything in between, or read your writings to the crowd wearing just your shoes. It all works.

Bring an open mind and your willingness to roll will 45,000+ people who understand you.

WELCOME and I hope you make it to the playa for the 2010 party! :D

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:07 am

indeed, welcome.

you, somehow, have sidestepped the "snarkmasters".......and gotten some great advise, from, two of the greatest advisers........take it to heart.

but,
beware the toll they extract, later, on the desert.......
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

zachass

Post by zachass » Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:17 pm

ygmir wrote:
but,
beware the toll they extract, later, on the desert.......
Smile! NOW DAMMIT! NOW! NOW! NOW!
Treat people like you want to be treated. Really...it's simple and it [i]actually works[/i]

Elliot
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Buddha Camp At The Lotus Dome

Re: Help Needed!!!

Post by Elliot » Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:07 pm

lonepoet86 wrote:Hey can someone help me out, and maybe tell me exactly what needs to be accomplished to successfully survive and enjoy Burning Man. I am a Poet from Franklin, Indiana. I've never had the chance to express myself. It always feels like nobody understands. I need to experience Burning Man for my inner-self. Please Reply. Thank You.
Kid, that's not much of a poem. Try introducing yourself again -- as yourself, the Poet, this time.

[How did I do with my snark? Am I learning?]
:D
The purpose of separation of church and state is
to keep forever from these shores the ceaseless strife
which has soaked the soils of Europe in blood for centuries.
--James Madison

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:39 pm

motskyroonmatick wrote:... and others bring much to make their time at BRC more comfortable.
I suspect that part of that is the thrill of the hunt and beating mother nature.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

motskyroonmatick

Post by motskyroonmatick » Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:28 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:
motskyroonmatick wrote:... and others bring much to make their time at BRC more comfortable.
I suspect that part of that is the thrill of the hunt and beating mother nature.
Indeed it is crypto. Indeed it is. :D

Elliot

Post by Elliot » Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:28 pm

Was I too harsh?

You say your’re a poet
But you don’t show it
Give us a sample
The rewards will be ample
I promise you we will love it

--James Madison

lonepoet86

Post by lonepoet86 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:31 pm

Sometimes on summer days I would wake up before dawn and read Kerouac for hours - looking far into the western horizon and dream,
Lay awake at night shouting Ginsberg to the midnight creatures, afraid to be different, afraid to be myself,
Everyone around me are obsessed material junkies - attempting to bind me in conformity and strip me of my creativity,
They see me as a bizarre freak that makes no sense, why?
Because I believe in being true to myself, to who i truly am underneath the bullshit they built around me as a child,
forced into isolation, yeah I've done some drugs, so what?
I took Mushrooms before, and listened to the world function in the palm of my hand, for I was one with all things but, they never understood.
Here a man can not be beautiful, Love doesn't exist, expression is a sin,
I'm nothing but a ghost - a lone poet without a muse - misery or beauty for me to choose,
The man always burns for me and you.

Matthew Price, 23- Poet

lonepoet86

Post by lonepoet86 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:38 pm

I have many other long poems but I tried to come up with something about why I want to be apart of burning man. Not very long but, maybe you'll get the point.

Victorian

Post by Victorian » Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:10 pm

Very very beautiful poet.

I've been a sleeping poet myself. Haven't written anything since i was forced to grow up about 4-5 years ago.. heh.

You've inspired me. I'll definitely be taking my notebook with me.
I'm going to burning man this year for my first year. I'm having a hard time feeling very alone in the real world right now. My job, my family, my friends, no one understands. This website has been my solace. I hope you find serenity here also.

Take a look around. Read as much as you can. Ask questions! Some will be snooty and snarky. But the ones worth talking to will be very helpful, you'll make friends instantly....

I can't wait to hear more of what you have to write...

Kate aka
Victorian

lonepoet86

Post by lonepoet86 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:29 pm

thank you from the bottom of my heart. I will definitely post more, I am....I guess you could say a modern day Allen Ginsberg (but I'm not gay) or some sort of mix between Lawrence Ferlinghetti and Jim Morrison. Always on the edge of reality, with my mind wild and my heart open.

Elliot

Post by Elliot » Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:46 pm

See, that told us A LOT MORE about you than the first post!

There is a time and a place for everything. If you are applying for a job, poetry may not be the best way. But now you are "applying" to participate in an Art Festival. Welcome, Matthew!

You asked how to successfully survive and enjoy Burning Man. (How would one unsuccessfully enjoy...?)

Survival is indeed a factor, but only on a "pretend" level. You do need to bring food and shelter and water, and behave sensibly so you don't injure yourself. But it is not like you are Stanley or Livingston lost in the jungle for real. They did not have first aid stations nearby. We do. So you read the Survival Guide and other newcomers information on the main web site, and you hang around here on the forum a bit, and the survival aspect will be covered.

Sign up for the "Jack Rabbit Speaks" e-mail newsletter also -- on the main web site, that too. and while you are there, enjoy the 10.000 plus photos in the Image Gallery!

Which brings us to... successfully enjoying. Hmmm.... Let's see....
To make a point.... Would you walk naked around the streets of Franklin? Of course not. You'd be arrested and locked up as presumed insane. But you could walk naked around Black Rock City, and nobody would sound any alarm. It's kind'a that way with your poetry. I don't think it would be possible for you NOT to enjoy a week in Black Rock City, reading your poetry and otherwise participating in a community that is so radically different from Franklin, Indiana; Clearlake, California; and every other "Default World" place.

So... welcome "home", Matthew! In a short while, you'll be taking your own snarky potshots at timid newcomers -- and you'll be doing it in poetic style.

--James Madison

Victorian

Post by Victorian » Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:46 pm

I think that's where we all are dear.

Welcome Home :D

lonepoet86

Post by lonepoet86 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:58 pm

Thank you very much. I will start gathering my workings together and posting them. Thanks again.

Elorrum
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Baby fell in the Bucket

Post by Elorrum » Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:20 pm

What you can do then is be open to understanding the poets and inner children that you meet. Magic is unpredictable and expectations are tricky. Start the cycle by giving to others the things you want most for yourself. For myself, I find this to be difficult, but I am willing to practice, practice, practice. Burning Man gives a learner's permit and countless instructors for a myriad of arts and skills.

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:18 pm

Hey there, welcome to eplaya.

JK
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

ibdave
Burning Since: 1998

Post by ibdave » Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:30 pm

Here I sit on the pOOper,
giving birth to an Oregon State TrOOper...... :shock: :shock: :shock:
I was Born OK the 1st Time....

Don't bring defaultia to Burning Man, take Burning Man to defaultia...... graidawg

Sham

Post by Sham » Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:23 am

Elorrum wrote:What you can do then is be open to understanding the poets and inner children that you meet. Magic is unpredictable and expectations are tricky. Start the cycle by giving to others the things you want most for yourself. For myself, I find this to be difficult, but I am willing to practice, practice, practice. Burning Man gives a learner's permit and countless instructors for a myriad of arts and skills.
Elorrum, what perfect advice for a first timer. If only that message would fit inside a fortune cookie, then everyone could benefit from it.

I cannot add to it, but only suggest that any first timer read it again!

jennajennalk

Post by jennajennalk » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:00 am

I`m a first timer too, and I am getting more inspired the more I read the posts on this site and I am learning so much. What awesome beautiful people you all are. Can`t wait to see you all on the playa.
JennaJennaLK

Sail Man
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

Post by Sail Man » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:17 am

Alas, a thread on Poetry, and no Ygmir...
The snows in Detroit cover the ruins, so pretty...
Not even the gangsters, nor demons, stir...
For the life of me I want out of this city, to be back on the playa and stare at some titty :lol:
Hey, did anybody else, just hear Crypto grrrrrrr.....:P

I know I know, stick with the day job :lol:
Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact

Ugly Dougly
Burning Since: 1996

Post by Ugly Dougly » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:22 am

And no link to:
PREPARE

motskyroonmatick

Post by motskyroonmatick » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:42 am

ibdave wrote:Here I sit on the pOOper,
giving birth to an Oregon State TrOOper...... :shock: :shock: :shock:
Expensive isn't it. Man tickets up here are expensive!

Along that vein---- Don't get too excited and start to speed to get to the Black Rock Desert faster. Drive at a pace that is comfortable and doesn't wear you out. You will be glad to have the energy when you arrive.

Driving through open range at night is dangerous. Don't be surprised or at least be mentally prepared for your safe speed to be well under the speed limit. Start practicing using your peripheral vision now. It is a good way to spot unpredictable wild life. It is just like keeping an eye out for J walkers when driving in the city.

Try to safely avoid hitting anything bigger than a Coyote and for anything smaller...So be it.

Oso

Post by Oso » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:47 pm

Welcome. Now you've done it - you'll never be the same now.... and you can't get it out of your mind.....

Here's what it is....

Unbelievable sights
Indescribable feeling
Soaring, tumbling, freewheeling
Through an endless diamond sky

A whole new world
Don't you dare close your eyes
A hundred thousand things to see
Hold your breath - it gets better
I'm like a shooting star
I've come so far
I can't go back to where I used to be
Home is not where you live but where they understand you.

LeChatNoir

Post by LeChatNoir » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:16 pm

Welcome, Poet Matthew.

Black Rock City is a pretty wonderful place. Eplaya is very similar to the real playa in ways, and completely different in others. The people here helped me through times of feeling alone as well. It was on my fourth attempt to get to the desert that I finally made it.

Coming from rural Kentucky to an event that seemed predominantly populated with west coast folks was very intimidating for me. Questions of acceptance weighed on my mind. I’d never been that far west before. I’d never even driven beyond the Mississippi. It was very exciting and a good bit scary too. But as the week went on and I soaked into things, I began to realize that when the greeter told me, “Welcome Homeâ€
The New and Improved Black Cat... now with 25% more blather

amethyst49

Post by amethyst49 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:08 pm

Hi there Mr. Poet! I will be attending Burning Man for the third time this year - yippee!!! My firt year, people thought I had already attended many times, since I was so prepared. Why? because I read and read that first timers guide over and over! The physical preparation is just as important as the mental preparation...although no one can really prepare you for the latter.

If you are as physically comfortable as you can be, with all the drinking water, spray bottles for misting the heat away, handi wipes, hats, bandanas/dust masks and boots, you will be able to get into the beauty of the experience. Have fun!!!

dragonpilot
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Red Tea Camp

Post by dragonpilot » Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:07 pm

For those of us with cruder tastes:

When Lady Lowbodice swoons
Her boobies pop out like balloons
But her butler stands by
With hauteur in his eye
And lifts them back in with warm spoons

Sorry...hope I didn't upset this gathering of artistic sensibilities.
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.

Return to “The Greeter's Station”