1st timer from Boston

Start here - tell us about yourself and what brings you to ePlaya.
jekel35

1st timer from Boston

Post by jekel35 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:49 am

Hey everyone,
My name is Nes, and I just wanted to say that I am SOOOOO excited to be part of the BM experience this year. I just wanted to say Ello and maybe pick some people's brains on advice/suggestions (I konw that theres other threads for that too). :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

pinemom

Post by pinemom » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:04 am

Welcome Jeckle!

Try these reads first....(read-re-read and then read again!)

http://burningman.com/first_timers/

http://burningman.com/preparation/event_survival/

http://burningman.com/preparation/event ... ading.html

If what you need to know is not covered in this stuff...then ask away!

(but if you ask a question that IS in these....we'll know you didnt do your homework lil' one!

This is eplaya, the darkside of Burningman!

Welcome to your doom!
Names pinemom, but my friends call me "Piney".

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:07 am

Welcome eHome!

Have you ever camped?

teardropper
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: The late Lazy Fucks. Now Orphan Eaters.

Post by teardropper » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:11 am

AntiM wrote:Welcome eHome!

Have you ever camped?
...on the moon?
\^/
/..\ Furthur

jekel35

Post by jekel35 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:27 am

AntiM wrote:Welcome eHome!

Have you ever camped?
I have camped, its been a few years but its like riding a bike. :?

I definitely understand the basics for survival e.g. water, water and more water, food, bring something that can act as shade, water, Rebar, gifts, water, shelter, clothes, baby wipes, glasses x2, sunscreen, hat, water, get ready for sand, water and an open mind...:shock:

My main concern is since I will be alone, how the best way to setup camp. You should I try and team up with a theme group or just let it ride and just show-up and hope for the best.

Plus since I'm probably flying in I won't be able to carry 20+ gallons of water and a cooler of food. I know theres a couple places I can pick up some stuff enroute from like Reno. But any tips from past expereinces or even stories from others who have similar stories would be great.

Thanks

AntiM

Post by AntiM » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:59 am

Phil has some great links for shopping in Reno!

Don't worry about "being alone". You won't be for long.

The rideshare board gets going mid-summer, and there;s always requests and ride offers unofficially in the Share resources forums. Plus there are other sites where you can meet and plan.

jekel35

Post by jekel35 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:08 am

AntiM wrote:Phil has some great links for shopping in Reno!

The rideshare board gets going mid-summer, and there;s always requests and ride offers unofficially in the Share resources forums. Plus there are other sites where you can meet and plan.
So how would I find a place to pitch a tent(hehe)???? Aside from the places that for theme camps, is it just open season, like find a spot and get comfortable. And thanks a bunch AntiM!!!

Dr. Pyro
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Post by Dr. Pyro » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:13 am

Jekel35, I will be in Boston to run the marathon the weekend of Arpril 17-19. Some fellow Barbiebarians (members of Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro) will be getting together in Cambridge. I have been going to Burning Man now for the past 11 years, so if you'd like some insight I would be happy to chat. We're looking at having a few beers Saturday evening if you're interested.

jekel35

Post by jekel35 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:55 am

Hey Dr. Pyro,
Thanks for the invite, unfortunately that weekend I will Indio, CA for the Coachella music festival...

AntiM

Post by AntiM » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:15 pm

jekel35 wrote:
AntiM wrote:Phil has some great links for shopping in Reno!

So how would I find a place to pitch a tent(hehe)???? Aside from the places that for theme camps, is it just open season, like find a spot and get comfortable. And thanks a bunch AntiM!!!
You get a map when you arrive. Roll into an interesting area not reserved fro a camp or village.. Chat up your potential neighbors and set up if you like the neighborhood. This is why arriving in daylight is practical if you aren't in a camp.

Check out Hushville.com. Not a theme camp, a village. Very, very crowded and no guarantees of a spot, but we can tuck in solo campers with amazing efficiency.

Tamino

Post by Tamino » Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:00 pm

Jekel: There is a Boston Burner Meet and Greet every Tuesday night at 7:30pm at the Cambridge Brewing Company in Cambridge. Lots of new faces and well seasoned veterans of BM. We hang out at the bar. If you can't figure out where we are just as the Bartender Chris and he will point us out!

Cambridge Brewing Company
1 Kendall Square
Cambridge, MA

Boston Based BM Camps:

Kamp Kaos
Automatic Subconscious www.automaticsubconscious.com
Camp Here
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

CLARKcon
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: COFFEE CAMP

Post by CLARKcon » Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:08 pm

Hello jekel35 :D ! Do you have any buddies in the neighboring States that may be planning on going :) ? Just saying...they set up the base camp & you just meet up after you land/get in. We have a friend who flies from Texas and we pick her up on the route in Boise, ID. P.S.--- Happy pre St.Patty's day to all the Bostonians...ranked #2 on the March 17th's party cities (only after Ny,NY!)
☕ COFFEE CAMP :
"The Social Hub of the Uncivilized World"

.: 🔥)'(🔥 2020 // ...???... :.

Return to “The Greeter's Station”