Hello! Virgin Burner, woot!

Start here - tell us about yourself and what brings you to ePlaya.
Colourfulkiz

Hello! Virgin Burner, woot!

Post by Colourfulkiz » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:23 am

I'm excited to be a virgin again! I've gone to Transformus a few times, but just moved to Eureka California, so, much closer to the real thing. I'd like to meet some fellow Northern Cali burners. If anyones interested in going camping this summer just to "meet n greet". I've not been to San Francisco yet, but would love to go this summer.
8) Kaley
Excited to be a virgin burner again, this time in BRC!

illy dilly
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Post by illy dilly » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:49 am

Welcome to ePlaya! I'm sure you'll be able to find some Cali burners.
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave

Elliot
Burning Since: 2006

Post by Elliot » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:03 pm

:D
Yes, there must be several of us!

Welcome to Northern California, welcome to E-Playa, and Howdda-heck-are-ya!

I have tons of friends in Eureka and thereabouts. That's because I participate in the annual Kinetic Sculpture Race -- which runs from Arcata to Ferndale on Memorial Weekend.

So you are going to do that before you go to Burning Man. Ask anybody locally about the Kinetic Sculpture Race. You might even want to run for Rutabaga Queen a week before the race, and be Royalty the rest of your life.

Many of the Kinetic Racers are also Burners. Ah yes... you figured I'd get to that. In fact, a group of them/us will be camping together in Black Rock City and giving rides on Kinetic Kontraptions. We even had a full-blown KSR Theme Camp in 2007.

I'll probably send you a PM to hook you up with all the Rutabaga Queens of past years -- they are the ones who organize the race.

illy dilly

Post by illy dilly » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:45 pm

A Kinetic Sculpture race from 6:00 and Esplanade out around the man and back would be sweet!!! Maybe even out around the temple!
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave

Elliot

Post by Elliot » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:58 pm

We have had a number of parades and other rides with human-powered vehicles. But for a full-fledged race we would need a water segment also!

In Colorado, there used to be a race at the Boulder Reservoir. It is being resurrected in a new location.

In Eureka, the race goes right thru town, with two miles of it on the water in Eureka Harbor. That's where my avatar is from.

teardropper
Camp Name: The late Lazy Fucks. Now Orphan Eaters.

Post by teardropper » Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:33 pm

Do you do the race in Klamath Falls, too?
\^/
/..\ Furthur

illy dilly

Post by illy dilly » Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:51 pm

Elliot wrote::D
We have had a number of parades and other rides with human-powered vehicles. But for a full-fledged race we would need a water segment also!

In Colorado, there used to be a race at the Boulder Reservoir. It is being resurrected in a new location.

In Eureka, the race goes right thru town, with two miles of it on the water in Eureka Harbor. That's where my avatar is from.
Yeah, I don't know what happened to the Boulder kinetic race. The last few years the crazy, home made, vehicle thing has been were they run off a ramp into snow melt water. This year Red Bull is sponsoring it as part of their "Red Bull Flutontog" (<--garunteed spellid rong).

Elliot

Post by Elliot » Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:47 pm

WARNING: Thread drift in progress. WARNING: Thread drift in progress.

I participated in the last KSR at the Boulder Reservoir in... uh... a few years ago. The Boulder race was organized by a radio station for profit. They had bands playing and they sold tickets and beer. Many spectators came for the bands and beer primarily. When music and beer no longer made enough money, the radio station killed the event, and the KSR with it. But it looks like the race will be back, with volunteers organizing it.

Flugtag. German for "flying day".

Elliot

Post by Elliot » Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:54 pm

teardropper wrote:Do you do the race in Klamath Falls, too?
Yup. Missed it last year due to illness, but I try to do all the West Coast races -- Arcata-To-Ferndale; Ventura; K. Falls, Oregon; Corvallis, Oregon; Port Townsend, Washington. Plus some "fledgling" races, like in Prescott, Arizona.

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:47 am

Hey there, welcome to eplaya!

JK
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

Colourfulkiz

Post by Colourfulkiz » Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:23 pm

Thanks! 8) I'm psyched about burning man, its constantly on my mind. I remember the sculpture race going on, but I was working. Sounds awesome. I'd love to meet the rutabaga queens. I'm generally a shy person so it'd be great to meet some people before the burn.
Excited to be a virgin burner again, this time in BRC!

illy dilly

Post by illy dilly » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:06 am

You'd be surprised how un-shy you'll become after the first day or to. My girlfriend is normally pretty shy, after a couple days at the burn she was everybody's best friend.

Return to “The Greeter's Station”