A little bit about me...

Start here - tell us about yourself and what brings you to ePlaya.
Corwin

A little bit about me...

Post by Corwin » Fri May 14, 2010 1:40 pm

Hey, my name is Grant and hopefully this Fall will be my first burn. The next few months will consist of me trying to figure out the best way of actually getting there and at the same time bringing what I need. I can carry most of what I need on my back, except for a sturdy shade structure and the 20 gallons of water I'll likely need. Little about me in case anyone's interested...
- Live in San Francisco area
- I'm a 21 year old guy, about to turn 22 in July and graduate from University in a couple weeks with a degree in Financial Economics, all paid for by working full time while going to school since I was 17.
- I don't have a car and sadly, much to the detriment of chances of finding a ride, I don't have a driver's license either...
- I don't smoke marijuana or do drugs, and its hard to explain why...let's just say they don't affect me in a way I enjoy. but I can certainly hold my liquor!
- I want to go to burning man for the experience, and maybe break out of this social shell I've been building around myself.

Oh and I probably come off as arrogant and over-confident a lot, but that's only because I am :)

So whats the point? The point is I really want to go to Burning Man, and I don't really know anyone with the mindset and/or the resources to do it with me, so If anyone is part of a group based around San Francisco and has room for a tag-along I'd be excited to come and share in the responsibilities of the group. Oh and, yes I've read all the provided material on the website...

GutteralRetch

Post by GutteralRetch » Fri May 14, 2010 1:56 pm

Welcome! I'm in the same boat buddy, maybe except for the Drivers License thing. I'm trying to think of the best way up there without spending too much. May be renting a van from one of the local places around here that actually rents to Burners without the high deposit.

Anyway, welcome, welcome!
Dr. Gutteral / Mr. Retch

Sham

Post by Sham » Fri May 14, 2010 2:06 pm

Congratulations Corwin for stepping up to the plate and joining the party. I'm sure you can find lots of people in the SF area who are heading out to Black Rock City and maybe hitch a ride. You sound like a very interesting guy and I hope you post often here.

Welcome and make yourself at home!

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Fri May 14, 2010 6:50 pm

Hey there, welcome to eplaya!

JK
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

gerlachedNloaded
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: ShadeWhores

Post by gerlachedNloaded » Sat May 15, 2010 7:07 am

i hear fishnets go a long way with some of the reno natives...
post up on W 3rd and N Virginia... look for the chubby dude with the white top hat, thick glasses, and bitchin blue/green/yellow conversion van. and don't forget the Halls lozenges.
I am HORSE

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Sat May 15, 2010 7:28 am

Welcome eHome.

I don't drive, but I have a spouse who drives for a living. Not that I'm suggesting marrying just to get a ride.

The official rideshare board gets up and running soon, as do other venues for rideshare, plus you'll see ride requests and offers in the Share Resources thread here on eplaya.

Always have a plan B, because people are flakes.

There's always Amtrak, then finding a ride from Reno.

Corwin

Post by Corwin » Sat May 15, 2010 10:13 am

Ya, I've looked into the different resources and I guess ride-share doesn't really get active til June/July? Getting there shouldn't be a problem, it'd just be nice to have some kind of base camp with at least 1 person I know or already met lol

AntiM

Post by AntiM » Sat May 15, 2010 11:47 am

Check out Hushville.com, a good village for newbs. We provide nothing but an address and great neighbors, but so much more. Main rules: no generators, no amplified music, and LNT. We get crowded, enough so our neighbors last year had water containers which edged under our shade, and the gal next to us put her tent so close up behind our vehicle that our trailer hitch was almost in her entryway! But it is a nice jumping off experience. You must preregister.

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Sat May 15, 2010 9:04 pm

AntiM wrote: There's always Amtrak, then finding a ride from Reno.
If you take that route, I hope you don't have to be pushed in the SVU that picks you up!

But it can be sweet.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

AntiM

Post by AntiM » Sun May 16, 2010 6:09 am

theCryptofishist wrote:
AntiM wrote: There's always Amtrak, then finding a ride from Reno.
If you take that route, I hope you don't have to be pushed in the SVU that picks you up!

But it can be sweet.
Most SUVs don't have such overly helpful and enthusiastic chauffeurs. I still think I should have bought him a hat and a uniform. That would have been funny.

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Mon May 17, 2010 12:29 pm

Very funny. I"m giggling as I type.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

C.f.M.
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Stag Camp 810&D

Post by C.f.M. » Mon May 17, 2010 12:31 pm

...getting pushed into an SUV might land you in SVU...

I like cocky people who can hold their likker.

TobeWilde

Finding a Ride

Post by TobeWilde » Fri May 21, 2010 7:11 pm

In previous years, I have always seen a lot of posts on local Craiglists forums under "Ride Share" for those traveling in. Some need rides, others are offering rides if you can share cost of gas, etc. Check there closer to the event if nothing else has materialized by then.

Return to “The Greeter's Station”