Another Canadian Birgin

Start here - tell us about yourself and what brings you to ePlaya.
existential_renewal
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Fun Fur Traders

Another Canadian Birgin

Post by existential_renewal » Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:13 pm

Hi there,

I'm Darren, and I'm very excited to be making the trip down to Burning Man this year (except for the driving part). I'm not sure exactly how I'm going to contribute yet, but definitely will help out where ever I can. I'm thinking of solo camping and volunteering somewhere for a day or so.

My big reason for going is to continue to expand my horizons and to better be able to live in the moment, so I'll be prepared to survive the elements, but looking forward to a lack of structure.

One of my creative outlets is photography, so I'm hoping to capture some cool abstract type shots on the playa.

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:23 pm

Don't stress too much about contributing your first year. One of the best contributions is not to become a burden.
A warning. There is a bit of an attitude around cameras at times. There are a number of creepy men who take a lot of pictures of nearly naked girls without asking or respecting boundaries. I don't think "abstracts" are what's at issue, but if you get lip, it might help to know why.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

thefreshmaker

Post by thefreshmaker » Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:46 am

My first time too. My names Matt. 35yr from Edmonton. I just got 6 tickets so me and likely some of my friends. Trying to get up to speed on this, and maybe chat with some other people who might want to meet up down there. Looks like a blast, I can't wait. I'm trying to find out what the best way to get down there and do this would be. I heard an RV would be the best? Maybe rent one down there somewhere though. Any thoughts?
"Life is a mirror, it reflects back to the thinker, what he thinks into it."

FaeTora

Post by FaeTora » Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:18 am

I have seen some amazing shots of the Playa. I am not a photographer but I hope I get a few good ones of me out my first time and of BRC.

I was thinking of volunteering once I get there. I just don't what its like (I'm a birgin) and I don't want to tell anyone I will be here at said time on said day and not be. But I figure I might just be able to help others while there. Then maybe next year set up a more scheduled volunteering.

Anyways, welcome!
We break to remind us how to mend.

Return to “The Greeter's Station”