First Timer ----- Stockton, CA

Start here - tell us about yourself and what brings you to ePlaya.
Rodney1486

First Timer ----- Stockton, CA

Post by Rodney1486 » Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:00 pm

Hey everyone,

So a friend and I just got wind of "burning man", looked like an experience of a lifetime.... so we got tickets

I've spent many hours on these forums reading, so I'm pretty sure i have the whole camping thing under control. food, shelter and what not. I am super excited and anxious for august to come already.

My plan is to go there and just go /w the flow. For anyone that has gone before, is there any thing I should do? as in join some camp or just come to camp where ever i land /w no expectations, maybe some pointers on the bartering system or gift exchanging?... i have no idea what goes on

THanks for the hhelp

Rodney
Stockton, CA

Rice
Burning Since: 2007

Re: First Timer ----- Stockton, CA

Post by Rice » Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:14 pm

Rodney1486 wrote:Hey everyone,

So a friend and I just got wind of "burning man", looked like an experience of a lifetime.... so we got tickets

I've spent many hours on these forums reading, so I'm pretty sure i have the whole camping thing under control. food, shelter and what not. I am super excited and anxious for august to come already.

My plan is to go there and just go /w the flow. For anyone that has gone before, is there any thing I should do? as in join some camp or just come to camp where ever i land /w no expectations, maybe some pointers on the bartering system or gift exchanging?... i have no idea what goes on

THanks for the hhelp

Rodney
Stockton, CA
Hi Welcome to the eplaya!!

Your plan seems pretty solid so far. Make sure you have what you need to survive on the playa and you should be fine. Be sure to read the survival guide till ya can quote it from memory: http://www.burningman.com/preparation/e ... index.html

It isn't really necessary to join any camp to have a good burn experience. Since this is your first burn, I would suggest that you keep it simple. There are only a few locations that are reserved for theme camps and such, otherwise you can camp where you like. Its always a good plan to meet you neighbors before setting up to make sure your compatible and such. Once you are set up, you will see people that might need a hand, help them out and poof, new friends...

There are plenty of opportunities to contribute back to the city! How you go about that depends on what you enjoy and/or wish to try.

I am sure you will have a blast no matter what!!

See ya on the Playa!

Rice

gaminwench
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP, Destiny Lounge

Post by gaminwench » Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:25 pm

Welcome!
Your plan is fine, you're *probably* better off your first year just being self-reliant, without having 'camp responsibilities'- which are a given in any themecamp situation...
There is no bartering/gifting system; bring what you need. Gifting is more about what you DO, ie. pARTicipation, than handing out trinkets or whatever; pitch in to help a neighbor set-up camp, share food with a hungry passer-by, de-MOOP at a big dance camp or art project, say good morning to everyone on the way to the potties in the AM... give of yourself! This is not to say that folks don't spend tons of effort to create pendants, stickers,patches, etcetera to gift to people that they connect with;
But for your first year, come prepared to take care of yourself, with a wide open mind and heart... you'll find plenty of opportunity to 'gift' and integrate into the experience.
The only 'must' on my list is the Temple burn on Sunday night; it has a completely different 'feel' than the rest of the week - silent(ish), contemplative, emotional...
Keep on reading the forums, you're in for a great ride!

gaminwench
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP, Destiny Lounge

Post by gaminwench » Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:27 pm

(Hi, Rice, we're doubling up on 'em...)

Rice
Burning Since: 2007

Post by Rice » Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:32 pm

gaminwench wrote:(Hi, Rice, we're doubling up on 'em...)
Not really, you said what I could not put into words! ;)

TobeWilde

Hullo :)

Post by TobeWilde » Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:48 pm

Hullo Rodney and Friend

I'm a solo camper from Fresno - very stoked and ready to meet this & welcome it into my story.

There are no regional groups here, but Stockton is nearby - maybe we can meet afterwards and see if there is enough interest to start a regional Central Cali Valley group -eh?

Enjoy your virgin burn, we'll never have another event like this in our lives - be fully present and participate!
<b>October Wilde - <i>"Tobe"</i></b>
Birgin 2010
<b><i>"I will not adjust myself to the world. I am adjusted to myself." Anais Nin </b></i>

dragonpilot
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Red Tea Camp

Post by dragonpilot » Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:53 pm

Rodney1486 wrote: maybe some pointers on the bartering system or gift exchanging?... i have no idea what goes on
Mardi Gras-type beads are very popular gifting items...in various colors...
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.

bm_cricket
Burning Since: 2008

Post by bm_cricket » Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:12 pm

dragonpilot wrote:
Rodney1486 wrote: maybe some pointers on the bartering system or gift exchanging?... i have no idea what goes on
Mardi Gras-type beads are very popular gifting items...in various colors...
Don't listen to this nut. Or do listen. *shrug*

There isn't a "bartering system" and contrary to what people may say it isn't a "gift economy" so don't plan to attend with tons of water but no food and plan to just trade to make it all work out. The "economy" usually confuses people. It sounds like you've done some research on how to survive, make sure you really internalize those instructions. You should plan on being totally, 100% self reliant. (If you get there and forgot a fork but have everything else it will probably work out just fine) You don't need a generator to survive (unless you are on dialysis or an external defibrillator) so you don't need to bring that unless you choose that you want to. It's a good time to ask yourself what you "need" and what you "want".

Maybe it's my personal bias but please don't bring anything to gift unless it is a product of your own creative, constructive (or destructive), or otherwise productive genius. Anyone can give away bandannas, note everyone can design a cool emblem to put on the bandanna. Try to make it a personal experience but don't feel like you NEED to bring something big and complicated. If you just show up and you are aggressively sociable, friendly, talkative, supportive, what-ever.. share your skills as a good human being... you'll be giving something to the community.

Oh, and btw, WELCOME!!

Oh, and as for things to do.. I've heard that lamp-lighters are wonderful if you are into that kind of experience..... never done it myself.
It was better next year. -Burners

FaeTora

Post by FaeTora » Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:09 pm

I'm not bringing anything to gift. I was told that being self-reliant your first year out was a major gift and just to do what was in my heart while there. I haven't ben so its just hear say but its what I plan on doing.
We break to remind us how to mend.

GutteralRetch

Post by GutteralRetch » Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:24 am

Yay someone from my hometown! Welcome! :lol:
Dr. Gutteral / Mr. Retch

Rodney1486

Post by Rodney1486 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:56 pm

thanks everyone
easy. 100% self-reliant

[quote="GutteralRetch"]Yay someone from my hometown! Welcome! :lol:[/quote]

wow someone from stockton? and admits it lol

Return to “The Greeter's Station”