On the bus...

Start here - tell us about yourself and what brings you to ePlaya.
bluesbob
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: AV

On the bus...

Post by bluesbob » Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:14 pm

Since I finally got my ticket today, I thought I would introduce myself.

The name is Blues Bob, a moniker I've had for over 20 years. No, I don't play the blues. I don't even play an instrument. But I am a blues aficionado, hence the name. (I also like bluegrass, real country, cajun, zydeco, rock & punk...but we never pick our nicknames)

Old Deadhead...but I shower and pay my own way. I also eat meat.

I live in Orange Co., Ca. Except for a couple of years in Auburn, and a couple in Arcata, it's been my home for most of my life. (Which has been awhile)

I was laid-off my job a year ago. But luckily I had returned to the local university to work on my degree. So I'm having fun being a student again. Like being a student really ever ends anyways.

I don't drink or do drugs, so this is going to be an adventure. Used to do both, even miss a few things at times, but I'll do it straight and enjoy myself. Others will enjoy me more also. Really, you will.

I've known about Burning Man for years, just never could make that commitment. But this year I decided to go ahead and do it. I'm going to miss the first week of classes, but I will email my instructors ahead of time and see what they say. It better be "Go and have fun!" because I'm going anyways.

The catalyst for my going was a break-up. Damn I loved her. Still do. Wish she were going, this is her kind of gig also. Oh well, she still follows me on Facebook, so she can choke on my adventure.

Hope to meet as many fellow burners as I can out there. I'm meeting some here already. It's great because I'm going alone.

See you all on the playa!

LeChatNoir

Post by LeChatNoir » Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:50 am

Welcome, Blues Bob. Do plenty of research and planning. The playa can be tough at times, but worth it. Getting your ticket is the first big step. Enjoy your planning and I hope you have a great first year.
The New and Improved Black Cat... now with 25% more blather

PavementBlues
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Sideshow

Post by PavementBlues » Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:23 am

Howdy, Blues!

You'll have a great time at the Burn without substances - my first year I was sober almost the entire time because I was too busy trying to figure out just where in the HELL I was.

Also, quite interesting coming onto ePlaya for the first time in ages and seeing your post. We appear to have the same musical taste, I was raised in Auburn, and am now also living in Southern California (San Diego, though). Have you checked out the regional events down here? Elysium, Lightning in a Bottle, Alma Paradiso, and Fuente Eterno are all quite popular (San Diego also has a three-day Decompression after the Burn that's a load of fun).

See you in the dust!

PavementBlues
Camp Name: Sideshow

Post by PavementBlues » Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:24 am

(Also, a reference to the Pranksters and the Dead in one post? I must be dreamin'!)

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Re: On the bus...

Post by Captain Goddammit » Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:42 am

bluesbob wrote: Old Deadhead...but I shower and pay my own way. I also eat meat.
That says enough to rate you as a fine burner!
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Re: On the bus...

Post by Captain Goddammit » Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:42 am

bluesbob wrote: Old Deadhead...but I shower and pay my own way. I also eat meat.
That says enough to rate you as a fine burner!
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

bluesbob

Post by bluesbob » Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:31 pm

"PavementBlues": (Also, a reference to the Pranksters and the Dead in one post? I must be dreamin'!)

Years ago a friend and I were watching TV (History Channel) and the show mentioned that the Smithsonian was trying to acquire "Furthur". The program went on to say that Kesey didn't want to part with it.

My friend and I each emailed Kesey's website asking why they wouldn't give up the bus. Kesey himself wrote each of us back and explained why he wouldn't do so. Those emails started a a long friendship between us as we each wrote each other quite often before he passed away about a year and a half later.

Elliot
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot's Bicycle Service

Post by Elliot » Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:07 pm

:D
Hmmm.... So far as I know, the bus you saw (or discussed) around... maybe year 2000, was "Further number 2". It appeared in a documentary film where Kesey was interviewed at his home, filmed around that time. The story goes that the Smithsonian rejected it because it was not the original. (Rumor is, Kesey may have tried to pass it off as the original.)

More recently, efforts are reported to have been made to restore the original, but there is essentially nothing left of it.

I saw Further on I-5 less than two weeks ago. Could have been #2 with modifications, but more likely a third bus. Such a bus is known to be in use by Keseys old wrestling team.

Our address in 2019 is at 4:00 & Cupid
NOW HIRING BICYCLE TECHNICIANS
Elliot's Naked Bicycle Service, Massage Clinic, Body Painting Studio, & Piano Lounge

teardropper
Camp Name: The late Lazy Fucks. Now Orphan Eaters.

Post by teardropper » Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:02 pm

PavementBlues wrote:(Also, a reference to the Pranksters and the Dead in one post? I must be dreamin'!)
Yep. Furthur.
\^/
/..\ Furthur

bluesbob

Post by bluesbob » Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:01 pm

At the time of the interview, Furthur was sitting on Kesey's farm in Oregon. It wasn't a bus anymore, it was an extension of the forest. There was so much moss, lichens, and other things growing on it....there was only a shape left, the rest was just green.

Kesey told me he'd rather see it that way...returned to the Earth. It was where he wanted the memories to go, not into a museum.

Elliot

Post by Elliot » Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:56 pm

That sounds right -- I've seen a picture. That was the original.

In the film I mentioned above (some guy traveled the country in a VW microbus, interviewing famous people), Further #2 was sitting in the background, probably in a barn, looking spic-n-span.

How many replicas there may be, such as the one I saw on the road the other day, may never be determined! :lol:

Sorry if I sound a bit too fascinated by this. But I own a newer school bus, and I'm getting ready to paint it. Some of this painting may be done on the Playa -- dust and all.
Elliot's Naked Bicycle Service, Massage Clinic, Body Painting Studio, & Piano Lounge

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:15 pm

one of our own eplayans, is a super bus painter........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Elderberry
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:22 pm

Hey there, welcome to eplaya!

JK
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

Elliot

Post by Elliot » Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:02 pm

ygmir wrote:one of our own eplayans, is a super bus painter........
Well, Kamp Apokiliptika's Kernul Killbuck seems to be eager to go at it, and he is certainly more-than-well qualified. And there are others in that bunch.

We have a WORLD-class professional muralist in my Kinetic Sculpture Racing gang, and he will be on the Playa again this year, but I cannot afford him, and he is never on this forum.

Who do you have in mind?

ygmir

Post by ygmir » Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:36 pm

LittleFlower is a superb artist..........she's done some beautiful work on Looneytunes bus........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

bluesbob

Post by bluesbob » Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:50 pm

But the original Furthur wasn't painted by "professionals"...it was just painted by a bunch of crazy friends.

Elliot

Post by Elliot » Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:28 am

bluesbob wrote:But the original Furthur wasn't painted by "professionals"...it was just painted by a bunch of crazy friends.
Quite so. But have you ever tried to deliberately repeat something wondermuss that originally happened spontaneously? Such as, just for example, an ass-over-applecart love affair? Lightning strikes are notoriously difficult to duplicate.

I should probably divide "Millicent" into several sections. My camp-mates (and visitors) in Apokiliptika will definitely have lots of space to play with.
A good friend near Seattle paints and would like a shot at a section of bus.
A muralist closer to home just volunteered.
Ygmir, I gather you are in contact with LittleFlower. I don't even know where she lives -- but of course I see her posts here.

Edit: Can you point me towards a picture of LittleFlower's bus work?

LeChatNoir

Post by LeChatNoir » Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:32 am

Yeah!!! Get a bunch of folks together for a painting day! In the fridge there's some orange juice, just don't drink it all at once. Oh wait... on second thought that might be how it turned out the way it did.
The New and Improved Black Cat... now with 25% more blather

Elliot

Post by Elliot » Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:05 am

You mean paint-brushes and "screw-drivers"? Oh, wait... yeah... Kesey -- LSD, of course. :lol:

The main idea is to have a Painting Week, when we are all in BRC. Obviously, there are drawbacks to this, but it would guarandarnedteed great fun.

But I am definitely open to getting some of it done beforehand. While I am happy to give skilled artists like Kernul Killbuck carte blanche, it might be a good idea to "set the tone" of the bus for the eager amateurs.

FaeTora

Post by FaeTora » Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:22 pm

ooh can i paint on it? please!
We break to remind us how to mend.

littleflower

Post by littleflower » Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:44 pm

me too!!!! but at the burn .... i'm too far away in defaultia ...

it definitely helps to have a basic plan, or a concept. and pre-painting would definitely help, even for non-amateurs ... you know, like too many cooks spoil the soup!

and yg is being silly, i just drew the figures, looneytunes had the concept and plans and paints. buses are so cool .... can't wait to see it, elliot ...!

Elliot

Post by Elliot » Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:59 pm

This sounds fabulous all around!

I have received similar advice from a muralist I know: Put "safe" outlines on the bus -- except for some "free-for-all" areas that I am prepared to paint over if need be.

My friend suggested getting the backgrounds done, and then she can do the Kinetic Vehicles in the foreground.

ygmir

Post by ygmir » Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:59 pm

don't let LF be humble.............
Looneytune has not posted any of the bus pics, or, even emailed them so I can.....dang.
but, it is so cool.......Looneytune characters up and down the sides.........

I, on the other hand, would be quite adept at putting your name and birthdate on it..........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

FaeTora

Post by FaeTora » Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:03 pm

give me a picture and i can distort or mimic it. 6 years of art class.
We break to remind us how to mend.

Elliot

Post by Elliot » Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:08 pm

Oh.... Hey, BluesBob: Sorry to highjack your intro thread! But you are learning something important from this: Threads drift off in different directions all the time around here! :lol:

bluesbob

Post by bluesbob » Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:04 pm

Hey...no problem...it makes me feel like I'm already part of something.

Elliot

Post by Elliot » Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:41 am

You are. And there is no way out. You know too much.
:lol: :lol:

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:12 pm

Elliot wrote::D
That sounds right -- I've seen a picture. That was the original.

In the film I mentioned above (some guy traveled the country in a VW microbus, interviewing famous people), Further #2 was sitting in the background, probably in a barn, looking spic-n-span.

How many replicas there may be, such as the one I saw on the road the other day, may never be determined! :lol:

Sorry if I sound a bit too fascinated by this. But I own a newer school bus, and I'm getting ready to paint it. Some of this painting may be done on the Playa -- dust and all.
And once you have Millie painted, I can finish my little bus. I've not touched it in nearly a year, I've not been inspired. My biggest problem would be how to display it and not have it trashed by overtly-enthusiastic folks fiddling with it.

Return to “The Greeter's Station”