4th year Burner getting jaded...

Start here - tell us about yourself and what brings you to ePlaya.
AngelDanger

Re: Holy Good Advice Batman!

Post by AngelDanger » Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:39 am

VeganChoirGirl wrote:
AngelDanger wrote:You all make Burning Man what it is, and god damn I am excited once more!!! :D
Hey AngelDanger...how did the burn go last year??? Did you concur your burnout?
Ironically last year ended up being one of the most traumatic experiences of my life, I went with what is now my worst relationship to date ex, and I can't explain at all just how it hit every painful excruciating worst thing I could think of happening all in one week. Serious rock bottom style. I usually consider myself a fairly stable, capable, non-insane person, but last year was a twilight zone of all of my ways of dealing and assumptions on how things can't go worse being wrong. ALL THIS SAID, it turns out that last years burn and the following 6 months were a life changing experience, in the most painful way I could imagine.

Key words here though, are life changing.

I can see much clearer now that I am MUCH farther on the path to being the happy, capable, stable person I thought I was then, wasn't, am not now, but now see that I am on, if not the right path then at least one I really like. I am running my own business,am doing well post-graduation june 2010, living stably, and doing better then I EVER have before. I am 23 and I am happy to see that life always continues to REALLY surprise me, which I always knew but had not experienced in such an extreme before.

I didn't mean to go on such a babble-fest, but there it is :)

I vowed to never do BM again, because I felt there was nothing there for me. I am happy to say I am going with my BEST friends, we are all WELL prepared, I an excited every day and am positive this will be my best burn since my first. :mrgreen: Thanks for asking VCG!

VeganChoirGirl

Re: 4th year Burner getting jaded...

Post by VeganChoirGirl » Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:48 am

I am so sorry to hear that your last burn was so traumatic!! However, as you know, we can grow in such a positive way from those experiences. It sounds like you are on a WONDERFUL path towards finding true happiness.

I am SO happy that you'll be making it back out to the burn, and with your best friend to boot. I hope that you are able to make it to the eplaya MnG on Thursday at 6:30 at Barbie Death Camp and Wine Bistro. We'd all like to give you a big hug, a good drink, and a reminder of why the playa is so amazing! Have an incredible burn, and I look forward to chatting more here on the eplaya.
Finally moving to SF...can't WAIT!

dragonpilot
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Red Tea Camp

Post by dragonpilot » Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:34 pm

AngelDanger wrote:
VeganChoirGirl wrote:
AngelDanger wrote: I am happy to say I am going with my BEST friends, we are all WELL prepared
Before you go with your "BEST friends", lock yourselves in a 10 x 11 room for 8 days with the windows closed and the thermostat set at 100...set up a fan to blow whatever's in your vacuum bag around the room, feed yourselves from the food in a 50 qt ice chest, no bathing (of course), sleep only 3 hours a night and then beginning at 4 AM...hmmmm, what else? That should do it.

If, after 8 days, you're still best friends, then you are a playa worthy crew! Have a great Burn!! :mrgreen:
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Post by Eric » Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:07 pm

dragonpilot wrote:Before you go with your "BEST friends", lock yourselves in a 10 x 11 room for 8 days with the windows closed and the thermostat set at 100...set up a fan to blow whatever's in your vacuum bag around the room, feed yourselves from the food in a 50 qt ice chest, no bathing (of course), sleep only 3 hours a night and then beginning at 4 AM...hmmmm, what else? That should do it.

If, after 8 days, you're still best friends, then you are a playa worthy crew! Have a great Burn!! :mrgreen:
Not necessarily true. My first year was with two good friends, by the end of the Burn we were extremely close and are to this day. I've never been to the Burn without them & can't imagine switching camps away from them, and we all live in the same RV together all week. You can come through it fine and even stronger friends. Just be prepared to give each other space when needed without getting cranky about it! :lol:
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Regarding Scammers & Scalpers
Please read above link for all official information.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

AngelDanger

Post by AngelDanger » Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:22 pm

dragonpilot wrote:
AngelDanger wrote:
VeganChoirGirl wrote: I am happy to say I am going with my BEST friends, we are all WELL prepared
Before you go with your "BEST friends", lock yourselves in a 10 x 11 room for 8 days with the windows closed and the thermostat set at 100...set up a fan to blow whatever's in your vacuum bag around the room, feed yourselves from the food in a 50 qt ice chest, no bathing (of course), sleep only 3 hours a night and then beginning at 4 AM...hmmmm, what else? That should do it.

If, after 8 days, you're still best friends, then you are a playa worthy crew! Have a great Burn!! :mrgreen:[/quote]

I say the same thing to people every year :lol: The emphasis on BEST was because I have done many burns with many people, and the BEST addendum is because all of these people I have been through at least one burn with, lived with, been through hard times with, and I am relatively sure they won't ruin everything and when/if they do we will make it through :D You think you know someone until you go to BM with them, as anyone who has been knows thoroughly, and I got a serious dose of that last year, while thinking I had prepared oh-so-well. I say I am excited to go not because I KNOW it will be my best year ever, but because I have FAR less expectations of what it should be then ever. And less expectations, more awesome! Or not! Haha! :twisted:

dragonpilot
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Red Tea Camp

Post by dragonpilot » Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:49 pm

Eric wrote:
dragonpilot wrote:Before you go with your "BEST friends", lock yourselves in a 10 x 11 room for 8 days with the windows closed and the thermostat set at 100...set up a fan to blow whatever's in your vacuum bag around the room, feed yourselves from the food in a 50 qt ice chest, no bathing (of course), sleep only 3 hours a night and then beginning at 4 AM...hmmmm, what else? That should do it.

Not necessarily true. My first year was with two good friends, by the end of the Burn we were extremely close and are to this day. I've never been to the Burn without them & can't imagine switching camps away from them, and we all live in the same RV together all week. You can come through it fine and even stronger friends. Just be prepared to give each other space when needed without getting cranky about it! :lol:
As always...YMMV... :D
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.

MyDearFriend
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp THIRTEENTH BARBIE

Post by MyDearFriend » Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:58 pm

dragonpilot wrote:
Eric wrote:

As always...YMMV... :D
Bwahahahahaha, I am going by myself, well, me and 50K other folks, right? and all I know is that some shadows on these interwebs are going to meet me, well they say they will... :lol: at various places along the way and, at BRC...

I might be better off, DP, is that what you're sayin'? Could be. 8) We'll see.

My mom keeps asking: "Who told you you could do that?"
"Burning Man ruined my life as I knew it, and I have never been happier." -mgb327

"BTW I'm not your wife so don't lie to me." -Ratty

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Post by Savannah » Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:22 pm

MyDearFriend wrote:Bwahahahahaha, I am going by myself, well, me and 50K other folks, right? and all I know is that some shadows on these interwebs are going to meet me, well they say they will... :lol: at various places along the way and, at BRC...

I might be better off, DP, is that what you're sayin'? Could be. 8) We'll see.

My mom keeps asking: "Who told you you could do that?"
There are people I love . . . with whom I could never burn. :?

illy dilly
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Post by illy dilly » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:27 am

Ahmeeen!
I love my sister. Lived with her for the first part of my life.

Turns out, now that we're both grown up, we can't spend the 24 hours in the car. So this year she is flying in on Wednesday.

As for living in an 8x10 box for 7 days... If thats how you spend your burn then you are missing out on a lot. You might share sleeping quarters in an 8x10 box, but there are miles of streets out there to walk if you need to separate for a while.
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave

Return to “The Greeter's Station”