Atypical Texan - first timer

Start here - tell us about yourself and what brings you to ePlaya.
Brooks_DallasTX

Atypical Texan - first timer

Post by Brooks_DallasTX » Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:44 am

When I first heard about Burning Man a few years ago, I thought, "I have GOT to go." Default life got in the way until this year when I just decided that I was going to make it happen. And so I am. Leaving the wife and kids at home and driving solo to BRC. (Wife is NOT a camper and would be miserable, but she deserves highest honors for saying "sure you can go.")

I live amongst the normal people, and even fool them into thinking I'm one, too. Nice house, 3 kids, 1 dog, 1 cat, 1 hamster, SUV in the driveway. But I think normal is boring. On other days, I believe that there's no such thing as "normal" but if there is, I'm not.

See you on the playa,
Brooks

FaeTora

Post by FaeTora » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:04 pm

Welcome fellow Texan. I live in Houston. I understand what you mean. In my daily work life I am seen so vastly different than the way I am. When friends pop by my job they always end up laughing because they can't believe how "normal" I seem.

Hope to see you in the dust.
We break to remind us how to mend.

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:50 pm

Hey there, welcome to eplaya!

JK
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

dragonpilot
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Red Tea Camp

Post by dragonpilot » Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:27 pm

Cripes, Brooks....get in touch with local Burners...don't drive out there solo if you don't have to. There's plenty of time to hook up with others driving out...share the road trip, expenses, good times!
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.

Cassidy

Post by Cassidy » Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:12 pm

As an ex-Tex, I know she should get even higher honors for dealing with you when you get back. :lol: Make sure she knows you might need some time to decompress (down time, connect with other local burners to talk it out).

Take some pictures of the family with you to remind you of how beautiful life is at home... but while you are out there, be really there. Have a wonderful time!!

sambojones

Post by sambojones » Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:14 pm

heya Brooks,

its a long as drive solo i'm gonna be driving outa dallas with a friend of mine haven't finalized what day we'll be leaving but it might be cool to caravan...
pm me if ya like or not if ya don't

cheers,

sambo

Dr Jet Sinister
Burning Since: 1986

Post by Dr Jet Sinister » Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:43 am

It warms my heart to see more Texans heading out to the playa. Most people around here just stare at us blankly when we mention it. However, given the prevailing attitudes around North Texas, it's probably better than they don't go. 8)

Also dragonpilot has good advice. If you can find someone to travel with it makes the trip better.
Suck it.
"They're like a bunch of Honey Badgers in a sea of hippies." -Goathead

gyre

Post by gyre » Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:05 am

I thought normal was 2.3 kids?

Brooks_DallasTX

overachiever

Post by Brooks_DallasTX » Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:11 pm

Gyre, I am an overachiever plus I could not figure out how to get the .3 kid. Although I have met a few kids that might qualify... :shock:

Dr. Jet, I agree -- I would not want a lot of North Texans around.

I'm very open to taking on a companion to share driving, gas and conversation.

FaeTora

Post by FaeTora » Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:06 pm

.3? How do you have a .3rd child? Is that what G.W. is?
We break to remind us how to mend.

gyre

Post by gyre » Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:15 pm

Even he was smarter than that.

Brooks_DallasTX

Post by Brooks_DallasTX » Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:15 pm

FaeTora wrote:.3? How do you have a .3rd child? Is that what G.W. is?
That might be giving him too much credit.
Normal is boring.

This Woman
Burning Since: 1995

Post by This Woman » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:24 am

Welcome Brooks. and thank your wife on our behalf - it will be so great to have seen you.

She also gets kudos from me, in advance, for patiently listening to you as you endlessly try to explain the unexplainable. When you decompress, take her along so she knows that this is a natural state and by no means permanent.
The Liver's End ~ Where the locals go.

Brooks_DallasTX

Post by Brooks_DallasTX » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:43 am

Thanks, Woman.

She is already patiently putting up with my obession with planning (touch of OCD here), and steady updates ("look honey, my camp is placed!", "Yes, dear")

I haven't yet mentioned that I am going to come back a changed person because it's impossible to explain and I don't have any idea what that's going to look like anyway.

I have tried to explain what it is and shown her some pictures but I don't think anyone can understand (including me) until they have been.
Normal is boring.

This Woman
Burning Since: 1995

Post by This Woman » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:46 am

Embrace your OCD; it will serve you well on the playa.
The Liver's End ~ Where the locals go.

Sham

Post by Sham » Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:28 pm

This Woman wrote:Embrace your OCD; it will serve you well on the playa.
Well, that explains a lot! :roll:

teardropper
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: The late Lazy Fucks. Now Orphan Eaters.

Post by teardropper » Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:48 am

I'm sure OCD is what it looked like (OK, OK, maybe a little) in my planning. Lists, ePlaya, First Timers, Survival, then more lists. And a fair amount of money. The guy that brought me once called me overprepared. I pointed out that I wanted for little out there. Plan, prepare and maybe even "over" prepare. As said, it will serve you well. And that's cool with your wife. I bought an old motorhome so she would go, and be comfortable. But we're long time campers, and besides, it just a week long camping trip. 'Course it's on the moon...
\^/
/..\ Furthur

Brooks_DallasTX

Post by Brooks_DallasTX » Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:10 am

I don't know if you can be overprepared for BM. I was a Boy Scout -- "Be Prepared." So I, too, have been studying everything I can find and gathering my stuff.

I built a dome for shade, and just yesterday found a cool description of how to build a swamp cooler (desert A/C) with a 5 gallon bucket. I don't know if I'm going to tackle that or not.

But, for sure, if you're in need of anything while there, stop by Poly Paradise -- I'm sure I'll have it.
Normal is boring.

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:30 am

Poly Paradise is a wonderful place with wonderful people. Even if you aren't personally poly, the High Tea discussions are terrific.

Return to “The Greeter's Station”