Going to Burning Man Alone?!!?!?

Start here - tell us about yourself and what brings you to ePlaya.

Should I come the entire week, the first days by myself?

Yes, definitely
49%
Yes, definitely
49%
Wait for your friends!
1%
Wait for your friends!
1%

Total votes: 104

StephanL

Going to Burning Man Alone?!!?!?

Post by StephanL » Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:32 pm

Well, title says it all!

I'm a student from the Netherlands, and I've been wanting to go to burning man since I heard of it and saw the pictures. I used to live in Utah about 7 years ago (foreign exchange), and some of my mates are actually coming along! But.... they can only get off of work on friday. And because I really really don't want to miss it, I am considering just coming by myself!

Has anyone ever met anyone that went alone? Would you still recommend it? I definitely would want to join a camp than, but wouldn't I still sort of be the "lonely guy"? I am pretty sociable, but would I still have fun by myself? Or should I wait until thursday and come with my mates, and not let the "lonely" days ruin the overall experience?

Nitevenus

Post by Nitevenus » Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:51 pm

Do a bit more reading. A couple of thread titles below *Introduce Yourself* under *Experiences* have people posting "camping alone". Welcome to eplaya and welcome home. After reading up on the survival guide and you feel you can be self sufficient, why wait? You came all this way for a couple of days on the playa? You are NOT alone....all kinds of people have arrived alone but not for long. Awesome place, great people...soon to include YOU!

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:12 pm

Think of what a tour guide you'll be for your friends.

If they can find y ou...
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

StephanL

Post by StephanL » Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:29 pm

[quote="Nitevenus"]Do a bit more reading. A couple of thread titles below *Introduce Yourself* under *Experiences* have people posting "camping alone". Welcome to eplaya and welcome home. After reading up on the survival guide and you feel you can be self sufficient, why wait? You came all this way for a couple of days on the playa? You are NOT alone....all kinds of people have arrived alone but not for long. Awesome place, great people...soon to include YOU![/quote]

I'm sorry, totally looked over it. Tried to do a search, but couldn't really find it! Thanks for the help!

[quote="theCryptofishist"]Think of what a tour guide you'll be for your friends.

If they can find y ou...[/quote]

Hehe! I guess that is the difficult part! Hopefully I can find a camp to join thats on a map! Do you have any recommendations for a camp still taking participants especially good for solo campers?

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:32 pm

First, go to your profile and uncheck the button for "Disable BBCode."
Then go to the 2010 Theme Camps sub forum and start digging. I even started a thread for camps that are looking to post in. Private message or post in the threads. Be sure to tell then what you're bringing to the table, will work as donkey, can nurse generators, etc.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.

Playa Foot

Post by Playa Foot » Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:34 pm

I camped by myself for several years before joining a camp. It took me about five minutes to become friends with those camping near me. Of course I am a little antisocial, others may find it easier to make friends. Do not worry about being alone, you won't be.

mudpuppy000
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: THE BELLIGERENT GAP

Post by mudpuppy000 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:15 pm

I went alone last year (not by choice) and was pretty nervous about it. I had such a great time, I'm doing it again this year. :)

CLARKcon
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: COFFEE CAMP

Post by CLARKcon » Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:56 pm

I'd give it a shot for sure :D ! Have camped with atleast 1 other person all my times out, but dig the idea of one year going solo for schnitz'n'giggles (maybe 2012 :lol: , ha!) You will make friends/neighbors quickly, would suggest camping in the middle of a block street (buddies all around you!!) b i s q u i t s :wink:
☕ COFFEE CAMP:
"The Social Hub of the Uncivilized World"

.:🔥)'(🔥:.

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:30 am

CLARKcon wrote:b i s q u i t s
unless, of course, you learned to make bisquits in the army.

They say they're mighty fine...
The Lady with a Lamprey

StephanL

Post by StephanL » Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:11 pm

I guess I'll see you guys there on monday than! I'm convinced!

Boijoy
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Metro Mart

Post by Boijoy » Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:36 pm

YEAH !!!
don't forget to floss

seldco

I'm new and going alone

Post by seldco » Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:53 pm

I am going alone too...Got my survival gear. Perhaps all of us "loners" could create a local "loners neighborhood", mainly so we dont get lost looking for our camp site! This should be a blast. My name is Lee and I should have enough food with me should anyone not have enough...

yumyumms
Burning Since: 2010

Post by yumyumms » Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:11 am

Im going alone- as a first timer, and very much looking forward to it. I did a smaller festival (starwood festival) back in 2002 or 2003 by myself- BEST TIME OF MY LIFE!

was supposed to meet a friend up there who had japped on me, but it was a blessing in disguise.

Made a boatload of friends and challenged some beliefs I had about myself.

Cant imagine what its gonna be like in such a large venue like this.

Vittachitta

solo you-oh

Post by Vittachitta » Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:17 pm

just go with it!
i'm gonna.
it's like totally stepping into it without any props! preparing doesn't mean knowing everything that will happen. just think what you might do without your mates checkin' in on you!

;)
looking for friends and experiences that inspire and teach

StephanL

Re: I'm new and going alone

Post by StephanL » Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:23 am

seldco wrote:I am going alone too...Got my survival gear. Perhaps all of us "loners" could create a local "loners neighborhood", mainly so we dont get lost looking for our camp site! This should be a blast. My name is Lee and I should have enough food with me should anyone not have enough...
That doesn't sound like a bad idea at all! I'm travelling through China right now, the moment I have more time behind a computer today or tomorrow I'm gonna start a new threat, or search if there is one already!

MisaBlue
Burning Since: 2010

Post by MisaBlue » Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:06 am

Hi Stephan! Welcome here.

Sure, make more readings as it was already suggested and also search eplaya for other Netherlanders..there are some, here is what I found :)

http://eplaya.burningman.org/viewtopic. ... etherlands

http://eplaya.burningman.org/viewtopic. ... etherlands

Good luck and see you on playa;)

Vittachitta

Re: I'm new and going alone

Post by Vittachitta » Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:00 am

[quote="StephanL"][quote="seldco"]I am going alone too...Got my survival gear. Perhaps all of us "loners" could create a local "loners neighborhood", mainly so we dont get lost looking for our camp site! This should be a blast. My name is Lee and I should have enough food with me should anyone not have enough...[/quote]

That doesn't sound like a bad idea at all! I'm travelling through China right now, the moment I have more time behind a computer today or tomorrow I'm gonna start a new threat, or search if there is one already![/quote]

Ha ha, I hope you start a new thread instead of a new threat...

but there are a few of us talking about this (see the previous thread on this)

rogermeijer

Post by rogermeijer » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:09 pm

I'm also from the Netherlands and going alone. Now digging around to join a camp, but otherwise I think I would have a great time anyway by just camping. Normally don't have problems with being social, so hopefully that's the same on Burning Man.

Vittachitta

Re: Going to Burning Man Alone?!!?!?

Post by Vittachitta » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:03 pm

If you are on Facebook, and still desiring an instant camp family, check out Orphan Camp III, destined to be a neighbor of Endorphin / Orphan Camp & Orphan Camp II, now renamed Le Petit Mort / Orphans Too Town. They are forming and still have some room.

swampdog
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Rising Arms Pub

Post by swampdog » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:25 pm

also, the early part of the week is for me the best. By far. By Wednesday the vibe starts changing and by Friday it's all about the party.

regarding finding friends, there's an information center near center camp where you can enter info about yourself including name, playa name, camp name (if you have a camp) and location. Your friends can search there for you and find where you're at.

Vittachitta

Post by Vittachitta » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:57 pm

hi swampdog!

omigodess, the gal that was gonna ride with us last year is looking for a ride AND a ticket.

(and hi, allyson, if you're reading this ;) ummmmm....good luck!)

swampdog
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Rising Arms Pub

Post by swampdog » Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:28 pm

Vitta - some people amaze me

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:08 pm

Vittachitta wrote:If you are on Facebook, and still desiring an instant camp family, check out Orphan Camp III, destined to be a neighbor of Endorphin / Orphan Camp & Orphan Camp II, now renamed Le Petit Mort / Orphans Too Town. They are forming and still have some room.
I think that Orphan II is full up and that Orphan 3 is getting crowded.
The Lady with a Lamprey

SnowBlind

Re:

Post by SnowBlind » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:13 pm

StephanL wrote:Hehe! I guess that is the difficult part! Hopefully I can find a camp to join thats on a map! Do you have any recommendations for a camp still taking participants especially good for solo campers?
Even if you are not with a placed camp, there is ways for your friends to find you:

1) You register at Playa Info, when they get there they look your address up.
2) You put a sign on the pin board at playa info. (That board gets crowded, most people try to bring a colorful piece of paper or cardboard that their friends will recognize.)
3) You make up a time (or series of times) when you are going to meet them somewhere (.i.e. noon on Friday, and every two hours after that, at center camp, or at 6:00 and outer road, or whatever).

Better yet, do all three. You will find each other.

accordionMan

Post by accordionMan » Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:46 am

Some really good advice... especially about signing in... make sure your friends know that you are registering. Include your car license plate to help them find you.

This will be my 13th year in a row. I've gone with my son (who introduced me to BM), his friends, my daughter's friends, some folks that I've met over the years, but mostly by myself.

Let me say this. You will NOT be alone. Just smile and say hi to your neighbors!

Have fun!
FREE MONEY to BURN 2013:
http://www.digitalartist.com/art/burningman/money.html
Some accordion at BM: http://current.com/items/89239638/rob_the_accordion_man.htm

astanasto

Post by astanasto » Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:20 pm

I'm showin' up all by myself. First time burner too.

I figure that, just like travel, the only thing worse than going by yourself is traveling with people who just don't get it.

I figure I'll find my friends and family when I get home to the playa. I'm not exactly a socialite myself but there's nothing better than traveling to a desert with a bunch of goofballs to lift my inhibitions. No worries there.

Have fun and don't forget to play. My camp will be a beige landcruiser under an aluminet quonset hut. I'll be wearing a fire-engine red kilt. Feel free to stop on by. I'm sure you'll be able to find me :lol:

Return to “The Greeter's Station”