I want to do this

Start here - tell us about yourself and what brings you to ePlaya.
MyDearFriend
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp THIRTEENTH BARBIE

I want to do this

Post by MyDearFriend » Thu Nov 25, 2010 7:25 pm

I caught the bug when Abraxas the Dragon drove up my street last month. I was busy working but my son interviewed a member of her crew and caught the magic words: Burning Man.

Well. I had heard of Burning Man. I have been clicking from link to link at all hours of the night for weeks and have now decided that I can, actually, do this. Be-damned to the middle-aged married mother thing: my youngest will be off to college next August and my husband can look after himself! I have been a nurse for 30+ years and am comfortable in an emergency, but, I would like for one week to say be-damned to my phone and my email and the relentless stream of tragic human crises they pour into my lap.

So, yeah, I am ready for something different. I sometimes fear that if I stripped off all my responsibility-roles there might be nothing left of me. Maybe I will come to the desert and disappear. Or maybe I'll just get bitch-slapped by Mother Nature; there won't be any whining, either way.

I've had nothing but blank looks from everyone I know when I talk about Burning Man so, it looks like I will be coming by myself. So be it. I can do this. I will be 53 years old soon, but I am in the best shape of my life and I have read, so far, all the way back to page 27 of this forum.

I do have some questions, though, so I would like to join your discussion.

:)

Thanks for being here.

TomServo
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Black Rock City Assholes Union Local 668

Post by TomServo » Thu Nov 25, 2010 7:34 pm

Welcome! Yes, I know that blank stare. The better prepared you are, the more fun you should have....so nows a good time to start researching.
anything worth doing is worth overdoing..

JStep

Post by JStep » Thu Nov 25, 2010 7:55 pm

Hey there, welcome to eplaya!

But seriously... Welcome, from another virgin. I understand the blank stares... I only really discuss it with others who have either been or get that excited twinkle because they're always wanted to... The normals just don't understand.
~JStep
Nebraska Regional Contact
Tallgrass Burners - The Omaha and Nebraska Area Burning Man Regional Group
http://www.tallgrassburners.com
Email: nebraska [at] burningman.com

gaminwench
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP, Destiny Lounge

Post by gaminwench » Thu Nov 25, 2010 8:17 pm

jump in, the water's fine... just watch out for snarks...

MyDearFriend

Post by MyDearFriend » Thu Nov 25, 2010 8:52 pm

Actually, I like the snarks. :D Cynical sarcasm is a refreshing tonic after a long day of sympathizing. But thanks for the warning. I might not enjoy it as much if it's aimed at me! :shock:

moonrise

Post by moonrise » Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:32 pm

Sounds like you'll be just fine...you won't disappear into the desert (but some of your old self will) the planning part is crucial, especially when traveling from so far away.

Be sure to read the Preparation & Survival guide on the main web page and look here and ask questions (start a thread(s) if you need to)...maybe there's a regional group in your area, those are great.

Sign up for the announce emails if you do have a regionals group and hopefully you'll meet some burners there and see some of the performances they do for fun and fundraising....possibly find a group to join and camp with.
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!

MyDearFriend

Post by MyDearFriend » Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:38 pm

Thank you! There's lots of good info there & in the recommended reading sections, too.

I haven't gotten very far with my regional people; to tell you the truth I know the area they camp at and I think I got enough of that particular blend of mud, mosquitoes and poison ivy in my youth. :) But I will certainly pay attention for hints that any of them are planning to head west in 2011.

My husband has a sister in Las Vegas; I might be able to use her place as a jumping-off point. Black Rock City should be something like nine hours drive from there, is that right?

burner von braun
Burning Since: 2010

Post by burner von braun » Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:36 am

Hi and welcome!

Once you've made the decision to go to BRC, especially this far in advance (now is a great time to get activated) you will find a way to get out there that works for you. As has been said, read and then re-read the survival guide and the other info on the BM site, as well as here in eplaya, and a good plan will develop from that. You may find that your plans may evolve during the process, still you might consider having a solo backup plan figured out in case other options fall through between now and then or aren't to your liking. Start setting aside money now, because going, especially from some distance away like you are, does cost quite a bit, it just does. But it is an experience that is beyond that expense. It is a departure from everything that is normal in your life. Good luck, and feel free to ask as many questions as you need to along the way.

I know there are lots of folks that make that drive up through Nevada, as I recall from other threads, you need to be mindful of the speed limit as it is strictly enforced in some spots throughout.

moonrise

Post by moonrise » Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:37 am

IMHO you do not have to camp with your regionals, but you might enjoy being on their announce list at the very least.
If I were you, I would not underestimate the power and mutual help of those regional email lists.

The regionals online lists often send out pre-burn reminders, have workshops, classes and mention fundraisers, eg plays and performances and fire dancer shows and such, some are just $3 to $10... a bargain in todays overpriced world

You can also join several surrounding area regionals email lists and un-join later.
Mine has a dsicussion list and a general announcement list, I like both and I am also in between two areas...I belong to both, one is sleepy the other very active.

I also stayed on a couple of camps email lists (through google groups) with their permission of course.
I find the reminders and what not to be very helpful.
I visit the camps but do not camp with them, I bring ice or whatever when I can...they dig it.

I have some really good news! Mosquitoes don't live in BRC :)
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:41 am

If you're interested (and I know that many with the certs are not) you might want to volenteer at one of the med stations. The Emergency Services Department is the volenteer department you'd be working for. Decide before August, because there is a cut-off date.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

MyDearFriend

Post by MyDearFriend » Fri Nov 26, 2010 2:47 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:If you're interested (and I know that many with the certs are not) you might want to volenteer at one of the med stations. The Emergency Services Department is the volenteer department you'd be working for. Decide before August, because there is a cut-off date.
Thanks for the encouragement there! I think that would be really cool. I have lent a hand in various little clinics around the world and have always really enjoyed it. But Nevada is not one of the RN license compact states; I looked it up and they want $$$ as well as fingerprints to get even a temporary nursing license. :(

But hey I bought my ticket today! And yes I will get in with my DC-area regional group.

No mosquitos? Hooray!!! :D

delle

Post by delle » Fri Nov 26, 2010 2:48 pm

:D

Doesn't it just feel like the best decision you've made in a long loooooooong time?

Completely selfishly selfless. Releasing. Filling. Abandonning while adopting.

Just making the decision changes EVERYTHING.

Energy immediately shifts into a good place. Smile comes more quickly to fill your soul. Even that damned grind isn't quite so grinding.... Ooops wait. What's this?.... not even grinding at all anymore, as things take on completely different perspectives. The secret shining in your eyes.

The secret.

Gotta luv THAT acquisition!!!

From one burgin to another (tho technically, I suppose I'm a bièrge here in Québec) A Huge Smile and understanding nod in your direction. Enjoy every second! Hard not to, isn't it.
Worry is a misuse of imagination

She had blue skin, And so did he.
He kept it hid And so did she.
They searched for blue Their whole life through,
Then passed right by- And never knew.”

Shel Silverstein

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:08 pm

MyDearFriend wrote:
theCryptofishist wrote:If you're interested (and I know that many with the certs are not) you might want to volenteer at one of the med stations. The Emergency Services Department is the volenteer department you'd be working for. Decide before August, because there is a cut-off date.
Thanks for the encouragement there! I think that would be really cool. I have lent a hand in various little clinics around the world and have always really enjoyed it. But Nevada is not one of the RN license compact states; I looked it up and they want $$$ as well as fingerprints to get even a temporary nursing license. :(

But hey I bought my ticket today! And yes I will get in with my DC-area regional group.

No mosquitos? Hooray!!! :D
I am a little puzzled. Admittedly, my conduit into the workings of esd is, for almost five years now, no more. But I do know that people from all over the country do volunteer.
This is the start of the volunteer process for ESD, just in case you (or any one reading this) want to pursue it further.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.

motskyroonmatick
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: B.R.C. Welding&Repair

Post by motskyroonmatick » Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:49 pm

I know for a fact that an individual with basic first aid and CPR certification worked ESD and was very useful to their operation.
However I recommend that virgins don't take on a major volunteer obligation their first year so as to be able to have as much freedom to explore and experience as much as possible. Once the first year is under ones belt then it will be easier to make a good decision on how one could give back to the community. It may be something totally different than an area of competency from training or occupation.

I like the tenor of your posts MyDearFriend. I think you will thrive in Black Rock City.

You tube videos have great clues to life, living, fashion and weather in BRC.

Black Rock City Welding & Repair. The Night Time Warming Station. iGNiTE! Bar.

Card Carrying Member BRCCP.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-

Dr. Pyro
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Post by Dr. Pyro » Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:22 am

Yo, MyDearFriend, I have a good burner friend of mine from D.C. who is part of the Abraxas the Dragon project. I am sure she'd be happy to welcome you and introduce you to other D.C. burners. PM me if you want the info.

moonrise

Post by moonrise » Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:47 am

Dr. Pyro wrote:Yo, MyDearFriend, I have a good burner friend of mine from D.C. who is part of the Abraxas the Dragon project. I am sure she'd be happy to welcome you and introduce you to other D.C. burners. PM me if you want the info.
That's a very good idea!

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:58 am

Hey there, welcome to eplaya!

JK
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

MyDearFriend

Post by MyDearFriend » Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:07 pm

Thank you all so much! Especially for this:
motskyroonmatick wrote: You tube videos have great clues to life, living, fashion and weather in BRC.

I have poked around quite a bit but never found those; very cool and really helpful just to see how things go there. I know I can't imagine what it will really be like, but that doesn't stop me from trying!

And yes, Delle, I have been dancing around here like I can already hear the music. 8)

Dr. Pyro, sir, I am honored! PM sent. :D So see there Mr Moonrise :wink: I am going to meet some like-minded people in my area here and get with the program ASAP. :D

motskyroonmatick
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: B.R.C. Welding&Repair

Post by motskyroonmatick » Sat Nov 27, 2010 4:15 pm

:)
Black Rock City Welding & Repair. The Night Time Warming Station. iGNiTE! Bar.

Card Carrying Member BRCCP.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-

maryanimal

Post by maryanimal » Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:02 pm

I'm a medical assistant, however it's been a while since I've been in a dr.s office. I wonder if I can be a volunteer?
Sometimes I'm confused by what I think is really obvious. But what I think is really obvious obviously isn't obvious.

maryanimal

Post by maryanimal » Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:11 pm

Hello! I'm also a birgin and going to the playa alone too. I was thinking about seeing if any other birgins would like to camp together. I turned 55 in November, but I fell in love with Burning Man in April. And as for the blank stares...oh yeah...I get them all the time. I'm glad you're hooking up with DC burners. The closest burners to me are 290 miles away. I feel isolated. If there are burners here in my city, they're in hiding! :D However I went to a decompression in Seattle and it was awesome! I had a great time!. I live in Washington state. It was a blast, although I reverted to my "painfully shy when I was a teenager" self and didn't introduce myself to anyone. My problem I think is I'm a little uptight to allow myself to just let loose and free my spirit. I'm so looking forward to BM. It'll be my personal pilgrimage, my own personal rite of passage. I'm a little afraid of going alone. I consider myself an indepenent woman but this whole thing is overwhelming me...in a good way!
So I hope your experience will be a good one! Take all the advice you get in here! They know what they're talking about!
Sometimes I'm confused by what I think is really obvious. But what I think is really obvious obviously isn't obvious.

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:46 pm

maryanimal wrote:I'm a medical assistant, however it's been a while since I've been in a dr.s office. I wonder if I can be a volunteer?
The first question is are your certs current. They started a new position after I left that corps (ironically, I was sort of doing it anyway, because my first aid was so sketchy) that's basically greeting patients, asking a few questions, sitting them down, that sort of stuff. Okay, that's what I used to do, I don't know if that's actually the duties of the position.
email 911 at burningman dot com and ask them.
The Lady with a Lamprey

MyDearFriend

Post by MyDearFriend » Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:29 am

Gosh I really feel at home here. :D
maryanimal wrote:Hello! I'm also a birgin and going to the playa alone too. I was thinking about seeing if any other birgins would like to camp together.
Yep, this could be good, especially in keeping the ignorant-newbie-inferiority bullshit at bay. Not that I have found any such attitude here on eplaya! All self-generated, so far :) but no less potent for that, really, especially for someone who is used to operating at expert-level IRL. Ha. Might feel better if I don't expose my mistakes to anyone who might recognize them, right?

The danger there of course is that mistakes can have real consequences, so, it would be wiser to have someone in camp who can say "Holy shit you need to fix that!" Or go it alone. I wouldn't want anyone to rely on my ignorant self, seriously. :shock:

There's a lot to be said for the buddy system, though! :D
maryanimal wrote:My problem I think is I'm a little uptight to allow myself to just let loose and free my spirit.
Ain't it the truth: we neat/sweet/reliable women help the world go around, don't we? but we spend too much of our time living up to other people's expectations. And we 'trip-chain' every outing with chores until we forget to have fun. :( Try putting a completely selfish activity into your regular schedule (with no 'picking up milk' on the way home!). I get my "me time" at the gym, and it's fantastic! Especially that pole-dancing class. 8)
maryanimal wrote: I'm so looking forward to BM. It'll be my personal pilgrimage, my own personal rite of passage. I'm a little afraid of going alone. I consider myself an independent woman but this whole thing is overwhelming me...in a good way!
Yep, yep, yep... all that. I have my moments of doubt. My latest plan is to ship all my gear to my sister-in-law in Vegas and drive from there. I have never driven ten hours all alone but I think I can arrive alive. :) Will I manage to throw a monkey hut up all by myself when I get there??? I guess I'll find out! Won't kill me if I can't, but if I can, wow...

:D :D :D

I want to do this.
maryanimal wrote: Take all the advice you get in here! They know what they're talking about!

:) I agree with that 100%. :) We are standing on the shoulders of giants here. Thank you all!

maryanimal

Post by maryanimal » Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:25 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:
maryanimal wrote:I'm a medical assistant, however it's been a while since I've been in a dr.s office. I wonder if I can be a volunteer?
The first question is are your certs current. They started a new position after I left that corps (ironically, I was sort of doing it anyway, because my first aid was so sketchy) that's basically greeting patients, asking a few questions, sitting them down, that sort of stuff. Okay, that's what I used to do, I don't know if that's actually the duties of the position.
email 911 at burningman dot com and ask them.
My NAR is current, I'm not a CMA, just an MA. I need to recert on CPR and First Aid which is easy to do! I have my own stethescope, and blood pressure cuff etc. I'm knowledgable in injections and blood draws...everything an MA does for a doctor. And thanks fishy! I'll email them and ask!!

LeChatNoir

Post by LeChatNoir » Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:45 pm

Hello MyDearFriend,

Welcome to eplaya. You are beginning a journey that I think you'll very much enjoy. Hang out here and get to know the place. It'd be good to have you around. You seem to be fitting in well already.
The New and Improved Black Cat... now with 25% more blather

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:03 am

MyDearFriend, you won't be putting up your monkey ht alone. Helping hands have a way of appearing out of the dust.

pinemom

Post by pinemom » Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:08 am

Yes, plan for putting it up alone, but know that when someone is done with their thing(that you could possibly help them with, they too will in return help you with your thing)

Be wary of frat boys! They are stupid and they smell funny.

Dont bring feathers!!! NONE!

Do bring a SIPPY CUP!!!!!!! So NOT kidding! Remember those frat boys, well they come in all kinds of funny shapes,sizes and colors. They like to "dose" people, then walk away. Not funny. Sippy cup is your friend and only let recognizable bars open said cup to pour you a drink! Oh and most establishments do not provide cups so you need one anyways!

water water water and the only drop to drink is what you bring!!!

When attempting to find a suitable camp to camp with be very open about what you expect...same from them ask ask ask many questions on what they Expect from you?
Yes, we dislike that word "expectations" but ya, they do exist.

The only advice I can give you on the expectation idea is to never HAVE them(hahah ya thats funny huh)

But what Ive worked on for the last 10+ yrs is what I do with my expectations once they've been busted.

I do nothing. well I give myself a little shit for having them again...then try to laugh it off. and except what is before me as the way it is.
This is the hardest thing Ive done(or am still doing I should say...)
It will take me the rest of my life to perfect it...hahahahahaha

Oh that expectation thing, ya you might wanna work on that at home before you go, because your family is going to "expect" that same woman to come back walking through the door...you will never be that same woman. Well, parts of you will be, but alot more creative and "strange" one might say!

Planning planning planning from her till you leave...then all those plans turn into GUIDELINES! Because nothing ever goes according to plan but if you fight it it will leave you hurt or angry...so flip to guidelines the moment you leave your doorway!

Welcome to E-playa...so not the real thing....but as close as it gets in this world.
Names pinemom, but my friends call me "Piney".

oneeyeddick
Burning Since: 1996

Post by oneeyeddick » Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:25 am

The Playa affects different people in different ways.

Some have a life changing experience, some were already on fire before they got there, you will be somewhere between slighly and severly sunsick afterwards regardless which path you walk down.

The sippy cup is a good idea, and so is a chastity belt sometimes.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.

MyDearFriend

Post by MyDearFriend » Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:03 pm

Oh AntiM, I remember a day when I was trying rather inexpertly to parallel park my car on a narrow street, holding up the traffic and sweating like mad, when an exasperated firefighter climbed out of his truck and hollered,

"Lady! What are you trying to do?"

That man had some very helpful advice for me, which I have had good luck with ever since. I imagine I will have at least one adventure like that in Black Rock City! Could be a life-changing experience, I don't mind; most people's lives change every day, whether they notice or not, so I might as well push mine in a desired direction.

I am immensely pleased by the very warm welcome here and all the good advice from so many famous e-playans. I don't know about that chastity belt though, Mr. Dick; what if I drop the key down the JOTS? :P Could get ugly. I think I'll rely on my unblemished 30-year record to protect what's left of my charms. A mirror might help there too. Hmmm. Maybe not!

Pinemom, my kids are pretty much grown but my cupboards are such a mess I bet I still have a sippy cup somewhere :shock: which I will bring to your bar in hope that you'll fill it. :D I have been invited to join a camp; what questions should I be asking? I have been trying not to expect anything I don't create for myself, imagining that if I CAN do for myself, then, any help that appears out of the dust will just be glorious gravy. The people are the real gift of the playa, have I got that right? :D

My Poor Dead Mother-in-Law (also a nurse) used to prescribe aspirin for sunsickness. I will add that to my list.

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:58 am

MyDearFriend wrote:I have been invited to join a camp; what questions should I be asking?
What do they expect from you, commitments of time both on and off playa.
Are there dues and what do they go for?
Do you have the opportunity to spend with other camp members before you all meet up on playa.

I wonder if you dare ask for references.
Basically, you are trying to find a good fit, and the sticky points are money, time/fairness of workload, personality conflicts and the like. Your questions should ellicit answers that help you assess those.
The Lady with a Lamprey

Return to “The Greeter's Station”