I want to Burn with the best of them!

Start here - tell us about yourself and what brings you to ePlaya.
Manna

I want to Burn with the best of them!

Post by Manna » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:50 am

... Yet I have a long way to go, I'm sure. I am to Burning Man as... as... as Kesha is to talent-- no connection besides desire for the latter.

I first heard about Burning Man last year only briefly before the event took place, and ever since then it's intrigued me. Only recently did I take the liberty to read practically the whole Burning Man site and start to form a solid idea about what it really is. And it hooked me. Reading the ten principles was affirmation to me that both morality and horizon-broadening take place at this gathering that I formerly thought of as a "desert hippie rave event".

A communal event focusing mostly on art and yet meant for fun, fueled by strong ethics, and ending in (potentially) life-changing lessons? It's like a dream. I hope I don't sound naive or too starry eyed (though I totally am) to you vets out there. I just think the idea of Burning Man is totally freaking amazing. :D

I want to get there this year like I've never wanted to get anywhere in my life. To do so, I'll be making some sacrifices (such as all my free time, in order to get a part time job -- I'm already a full time student), not to mention the first week of classes of the year. But it's so worth it.

Anyways, I want to learn the Burning Man ropes. Like, the stuff I can't learn on the website. I also want to find people in my area (Albuquerque, New Mexico) to connect with, learn from, and make friends with. In return, I can give an abundance of positive ideas, a decently creative mind and some semblance of intelligent thought.

That's it! Hi everyone.~

Tazz
Burning Since: 2006

Post by Tazz » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:14 am

Waiting patiently..... (eplaya etiquette!)

Manna

Post by Manna » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:34 am

Umm... umm...

I'm... afraid I'm lost.

What etiquette have I forgotten? ):

Sham

Post by Sham » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:52 am

Welcome Manna. You're on the right track. Black Rock City is quite an amazing place. While it changes every year, the feel is always the same. Incredible art, amazing people, and a place that you start to miss the minute you leave.
There are lots of great resources here on eplaya. You can use the search feature or if you can't find what you are looking for, then ask away.
So, kick off your shoes and make yourself at home.

Again, WELCOME!

Tazz
Burning Since: 2006

Post by Tazz » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:13 am

Sorry I confused! As I am a fairly new to posting on eplaya, I was waiting for a veteran to give the first greeting. Great first post Manna. Glad you are starting early and sounds to me like you will have a great experience.

Tazz

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:32 am

Welcome. Tazz, jump in, if you're gonna be a burner, be a burner.

Manna, above all Burning Man is ... a very dusty camping trip. Never forget that as your first preparation tip. Costumes, art, gifts, volunteering, all else hinges on your experience as a camper. If you have a good place to sleep, store your stuff, and hang out now and then, all the rest is gravy.

Very, very yummy strange gravy.

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:43 am

Hey there, welcome to eplaya!

JK
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

dr.placebo
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Cleu Camp

Post by dr.placebo » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:41 am

I'll jump in and offer the opinion that one need not understand everything about Burning Man in order to go there. A large part of the fun of it is learning how to do it. Ideally this happens every year.

Besides reading the survival guide the most important item is to bring an open heart, and you already seem to have that.

Ugly Dougly
Burning Since: 1996

Post by Ugly Dougly » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:14 am

Manna wrote:Umm... umm...

I'm... afraid I'm lost.

What etiquette have I forgotten? ):
= Wait for other folks to offer "straight" helpful suggestions before bringing the snark and goofy remarks.

I would not automatically call Burning Man a "rave". It's got elements that are like a rave, but it's probably giving people the impression that's all it is, and that if you don't like raves, then you don't belong; both of which are untrue.

Come to the desert, prepare yourself thoroughly, shed all expectations, and let it happen!

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:00 am

Ugly Dougly wrote:...shed all expectations...
Are you encouraging MOOP there, Dougly?
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Manna

Post by Manna » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:13 am

Shambala, thank you so much for the warm welcome!

Tazz, I understand now! I thought you were implying that I had forgotten some necessary etiquette. :D Thank you!

AntiM, I'm actually not that good of a camper... I love it, but I usually let everyone else do the work. I don't want to to be that way this time. I really, really like the idea of radical self reliance, and I want to exercise self reliance to the best of my ability. I think I can do it!
Dusty gravy. Haha!

Jkisha, thank you! (:

Dr. Placebo, thanks for the advice. I think I would rather be over-read then under-knowledged though. I plan to read the survival guide a couple more times before I'm done here... then again, I'm sure there are some things that I'll just have to learn through experience as well. :D

Ugly Dougly, I totally wasn't meaning to be snarky. I'm sorry! I honestly thought Tazz was trying to hint to me that I had forgotten some essential eplaya ettiquette, haha.
The rave aspect totally doesn't bother me, because I know there will be so much more to it than the superficiality of many raves, and more of a community spirit. When it comes to EDM, I love the shit. I don't think I'll have a problem. Thanks!

PavementBlues
Camp Name: Sideshow

Re: I want to Burn with the best of them!

Post by PavementBlues » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:36 am

Manna wrote:I hope I don't sound naive or too starry eyed (though I totally am) to you vets out there. I just think the idea of Burning Man is totally freaking amazing. :D
Starry eyed first-timers are the most fun. Hell, showing people around the playa for the first time is one of my favorite activities out there!

Welcome - you're going to fit right in.

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:09 pm

Hola and Hello...

Hopefully you will have understanding profs. You might want to contact them if you can before semester starts and tell them you won't be there the first week or make sure that they don't drop students for not being in class the first week. One of my daughters profs dropped her from class because she missed the first week. She emailed the teacher and told her she was on a family trip (true) and could she please remain in the class.
Prof told her no but she could register for the same class next semester (as if). We were kind of surprised the teacher dropped her as she lives in Reno and figured most college profs would be cool with burning man. After all it is our dollar...my daughter feels that it was still totally worth going to BRC

Ugly Dougly

Post by Ugly Dougly » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:28 pm

Manna wrote: Ugly Dougly, I totally wasn't meaning to be snarky.
Nobody's accused you of being snarky, Manna. You're cool. <3
We just have a habit of hazing the newcomer (you) before offering helpful advice. :)

moonrise

Post by moonrise » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:01 pm

~Welcome!

I like to recommend signing up to the Regionals email announce and or discussion list(s) in your area to meet burners close to you.

~New Mexico's Regional looks a bit different than most but the info could be outdated...says it's growing, this is not a surprise :)

http://regionals.burningman.com/us_nm.html

Also, many other "intro threads" on eplaya have good info; and all of eplaya.
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!

VeganChoirGirl

Post by VeganChoirGirl » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:59 pm

Welcome! I think the advice that has come you way so far is pretty accurate. I am definitely of the opinion that you should perhaps take a short camping trip or two and practice some radical self reliance. :) Read up on the guides and topics on eplaya. Ask questions. And when you get out there...you'll realize no matter how much you prepare, nothing will every prepare you :) And yet....HOLY SHIT YOU'RE GOING TO HAVE SUCH A GOOD TIME!

Oh...ummm...somehow you missed out on snarky replies so far...well done!
Finally moving to SF...can't WAIT!

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Post by Eric » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:18 pm

Manna wrote:I'm actually not that good of a camper... I love it, but I usually let everyone else do the work. I don't want to to be that way this time. I really, really like the idea of radical self reliance, and I want to exercise self reliance to the best of my ability.
I want to strongly agree with what VeganChoirGirl said- get your equipment and take some short camping trips before attending Burning Man. Make sure you can be self-reliant.

Burning Man is welcoming to almost everything except a person who doesn't pull their share in camp. People have been kicked out of camps for that, but it sounds like you really want to avoid that.

If you don't have the camping part down the rest of the event can really suck, which you really don't want to happen.

As an aside- go to your profile & make sure you have "BBCode" enabled. That will make the "quotes" work (like the one I used of yours above)
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Regarding Scammers & Scalpers
Please read above link for all official information.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:06 pm

Depanding on who you camp with, you might be able to, for instance, do a larger share of the cooking and have other people do more stake-driving.
I can't do much of the hard prep, so I do my best to make up for it in other ways.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.

Elorrum
Camp Name: Baby fell in the Bucket

Post by Elorrum » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:27 pm

Manna wrote: I'm actually not that good of a camper... I love it, but I usually let everyone else do the work. I don't want to to be that way this time. I really, really like the idea of radical self reliance, and I want to exercise self reliance to the best of my ability. I think I can do it!
You can! You may already have many of the necessary skills, but somehow our society has classified them as something else, and the name of the thing is throwing you off. My mother used to say she was "not mechanical" but she could take her sewing machine apart and put it back together. What was that skill called? Sewing. She could place furniture all around the house, but couldn't move boxes and stuff. What was that skill called? Redecorating. If you can pack, cook, tidy up, organize, follow simple instructional booklets, you can camp. Someone will help if you need it, or ask. I never had the right look, or demeanor, to get a lot of offers for help (a skillset in itself if you think about it), so I learned to just hitch up my pants and do it myself.

Manna

Re: I want to Burn with the best of them!

Post by Manna » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:47 pm

PavementBlues wrote:
Manna wrote:I hope I don't sound naive or too starry eyed (though I totally am) to you vets out there. I just think the idea of Burning Man is totally freaking amazing. :D
Starry eyed first-timers are the most fun. Hell, showing people around the playa for the first time is one of my favorite activities out there!

Welcome - you're going to fit right in.
In this case, you're gonna have a lot of fun with me! I'm officially hooked on the idea of BM. :D You're totally welcome to show me the playa for my first time when I get there, haha!
lucky420 wrote:Posted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:09 pm Post subject:
Hola and Hello...

Hopefully you will have understanding profs. You might want to contact them if you can before semester starts and tell them you won't be there the first week or make sure that they don't drop students for not being in class the first week. One of my daughters profs dropped her from class because she missed the first week. She emailed the teacher and told her she was on a family trip (true) and could she please remain in the class.
Prof told her no but she could register for the same class next semester (as if). We were kind of surprised the teacher dropped her as she lives in Reno and figured most college profs would be cool with burning man. After all it is our dollar...my daughter feels that it was still totally worth going to BRC
Actually, school is my biggest concern. The whole first week is a pretty important week to miss, but I personally consider it worth it. You're totally right about contacting my professors though. I think I'll send them an email as soon as I register for the class, so as not to risk a last minute refusal from a teacher. I go to a pretty laid back community college, so I'm sure most of my professors will be all right. Either that or I can deliberately sign up for late-start classes. (;
Ugly Dougly wrote:Nobody's accused you of being snarky, Manna. You're cool. <3
We just have a habit of hazing the newcomer (you) before offering helpful advice.
Sweet. I've not only been hazed, but also given a red heart. <3 I'm pretty happy now. :D

Thanks again!
moonrise wrote:~Welcome!

I like to recommend signing up to the Regionals email announce and or discussion list(s) in your area to meet burners close to you.

~New Mexico's Regional looks a bit different than most but the info could be outdated...says it's growing, this is not a surprise

http://regionals.burningman.com/us_nm.html

Also, many other "intro threads" on eplaya have good info; and all of eplaya.
Moonrise, thanks for the link and advice! I've checked out the regionals page before, but I'm a bit shy when it comes to contacting people. u___u'' If I don't get over it now, I'd have to get over it eventually in order to achieve my goals, so I might as well suck it up now! Heh.
VeganChoirGirl wrote:Welcome! I think the advice that has come you way so far is pretty accurate. I am definitely of the opinion that you should perhaps take a short camping trip or two and practice some radical self reliance. Read up on the guides and topics on eplaya. Ask questions. And when you get out there...you'll realize no matter how much you prepare, nothing will every prepare you And yet....HOLY SHIT YOU'RE GOING TO HAVE SUCH A GOOD TIME!

Oh...ummm...somehow you missed out on snarky replies so far...well done!
VeganChoirGirl, that's actually a really good idea. I mean, I know I'm capable of self reliance, even to a radical degree, but there sure as hell isn't anything wrong with brushing up and making sure! Besides, it is summer -- I'll probably be camping anyway. :D

Thank you so much for the advice!
Eric wrote:I want to strongly agree with what VeganChoirGirl said- get your equipment and take some short camping trips before attending Burning Man. Make sure you can be self-reliant.

Burning Man is welcoming to almost everything except a person who doesn't pull their share in camp. People have been kicked out of camps for that, but it sounds like you really want to avoid that.

If you don't have the camping part down the rest of the event can really suck, which you really don't want to happen.

As an aside- go to your profile & make sure you have "BBCode" enabled. That will make the "quotes" work (like the one I used of yours above)
Eric, thank you, too. No way do I want to get kicked out of a camp, and even more than that, I would feel terrible if I was so worthless that someone else had to take my share of the work. If anything, I want to be the kind of person that is self reliant enough for others when they need it!

ooh, and thanks for the BBCode tips! I was wondering what was up.
theCryptofishist wrote:Depanding on who you camp with, you might be able to, for instance, do a larger share of the cooking and have other people do more stake-driving.
I can't do much of the hard prep, so I do my best to make up for it in other ways.
Yeah, maybe I could do cooking or something if I turn out to be totally worthless (which I'm sure I won't with some summer trips to practice!). Just in case, I could be a good woman and bring some extra food/recipes. :D Ahahaha
Elorrum wrote:You can! You may already have many of the necessary skills, but somehow our society has classified them as something else, and the name of the thing is throwing you off. My mother used to say she was "not mechanical" but she could take her sewing machine apart and put it back together. What was that skill called? Sewing. She could place furniture all around the house, but couldn't move boxes and stuff. What was that skill called? Redecorating. If you can pack, cook, tidy up, organize, follow simple instructional booklets, you can camp. Someone will help if you need it, or ask. I never had the right look, or demeanor, to get a lot of offers for help (a skillset in itself if you think about it), so I learned to just hitch up my pants and do it myself.
Haha! Sounds like your mother underestimated herself severely. But, point taken. I really think I can do everything... except pitch a tent. As soon as I learn how to do that, I'm set. 8D

Manna

Post by Manna » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:51 pm

One more question; I need some guidance here. I really, really want to contribute art, even though it'll be my first time to BRC. My only problem is that I have no idea where to start. What kind of art is accepted at BM? Do I have to do something 3D? Does it have to be visual, or can I do something musical?

I apologize for the double post. I'm not sure how eplaya receives them.

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:53 pm

One year (and I missed this, but I've heard stories) someone left a jar of mayonnaise in the sun and called that art.
There's a pretty lively discussion on art and the burn over in the Politics and Philosophy sub-forum. And don't sweat it. Get the basics over first your first year.
The Lady with a Lamprey

mudpuppy000
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: THE BELLIGERENT GAP

Post by mudpuppy000 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:10 pm

Manna wrote:One more question; I need some guidance here. I really, really want to contribute art, even though it'll be my first time to BRC. My only problem is that I have no idea where to start. What kind of art is accepted at BM? Do I have to do something 3D? Does it have to be visual, or can I do something musical?

I apologize for the double post. I'm not sure how eplaya receives them.
You can do whatever you want! :) If it involves fire or something dangerous its 10x cooler too. :)

Eric
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Post by Eric » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:58 pm

Manna wrote:One more question; I need some guidance here. I really, really want to contribute art, even though it'll be my first time to BRC
My biggest suggestion for a first-timer is to not do anything other than making sure you can survive. Don't worry about contributing the first time- once you get there you can always pick up volunteer shifts if you want.

The event can be overwhelming for some people, and nothing we say and no images you can see will give you the real feeling of being surrounded by it in every direction 24/7.

Don't bring "gifts" (please, god, really, don't bring crappy plastic gifts), just bring yourself, what you need to survive, and open eyes.
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Regarding Scammers & Scalpers
Please read above link for all official information.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:59 am

A simple way to contribute to the general art atmosphere is to make a cloth painting or banners to adorn your tent/shade. They're easy, small to pack, and brighten up the place. Use spring clamps to attach your art. I did that for my first year, we always have art in camp now.

C187
Camp Name: BRC Welding & Repair / Black Hole

Post by C187 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:42 am

All types of artwork are on the playa, it just seems like the only kind is huge metal or wood installations. When in fact you can find paintings prominently on display in center camp. Small gallery camps here and there. Along with impromptu mix-media set ups all over the place. Not to say anything about costuming, or tent decorations. Oh, and the majority of them.. the artery had nothing to do with in regards to placement. But that's just what you can see walking around.

If you want to do a performance (as long as you don't want to dj), you can find camps seeking performers right here on eplaya. Center camp takes musical performers with original and independent sets. (you should be able to find the contact info on their page along with all the rules -- or when the call out happens on JRS) Although if your musical plan was to have recorded sound tripped or otherwise activated by interaction then that's A) a whole other can of warms B) something you would need to work out with your camp, or your neighbors (if camping solo - e.g. the amount of space you need). But if it was something like handing out kazzo's to a 100 people and have everyone gather for a performance. Then it really doesn't matter where in the dust you do it.

--
To reinforce what other vets have said...
You don't need to bring anything but yourself, something to live in, stuff for your belly, and water for watering. If during the week you feel like you can volunteer then the opportunities will be available for you. But you don't have to. Also fuck gifts... (mostly because I don't want another necklace or bracelet)

As far as camping goes. Set up your tent a few times before you come out. Make sure you have all the parts, and so on. This goes for other things then the tent.. like a air mattress, camping stove, $0.25 can opener...

My only tip to virgins on camping gear is.. if you are going to use an air mattress don't buy the battery air pump. Get yourself the 12v (plugs into car outlet (also a small generator with clever wiring)) if your going to have your own car. Your less likely to have a dust clog, and the jobs done in a minute or two with the 12v.

Any way... you sound like you've been a good virgin, with all the reading up, and not thinking this is some rave. Because outside of bacon, the only thing a vet loves is corrupting a good virgin.
I have a little bit of Savannah with me. Shhh...

VeganChoirGirl

Post by VeganChoirGirl » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:08 am

C187 wrote:All types of artwork are on the playa, it just seems like the only kind is huge metal or wood installations. When in fact you can find paintings prominently on display in center camp. Small gallery camps here and there. Along with impromptu mix-media set ups all over the place. Not to say anything about costuming, or tent decorations. Oh, and the majority of them.. the artery had nothing to do with in regards to placement. But that's just what you can see walking around.

If you want to do a performance (as long as you don't want to dj), you can find camps seeking performers right here on eplaya. Center camp takes musical performers with original and independent sets. (you should be able to find the contact info on their page along with all the rules -- or when the call out happens on JRS) Although if your musical plan was to have recorded sound tripped or otherwise activated by interaction then that's A) a whole other can of warms B) something you would need to work out with your camp, or your neighbors (if camping solo - e.g. the amount of space you need). But if it was something like handing out kazzo's to a 100 people and have everyone gather for a performance. Then it really doesn't matter where in the dust you do it.

--
To reinforce what other vets have said...
You don't need to bring anything but yourself, something to live in, stuff for your belly, and water for watering. If during the week you feel like you can volunteer then the opportunities will be available for you. But you don't have to. Also fuck gifts... (mostly because I don't want another necklace or bracelet)

As far as camping goes. Set up your tent a few times before you come out. Make sure you have all the parts, and so on. This goes for other things then the tent.. like a air mattress, camping stove, $0.25 can opener...

My only tip to virgins on camping gear is.. if you are going to use an air mattress don't buy the battery air pump. Get yourself the 12v (plugs into car outlet (also a small generator with clever wiring)) if your going to have your own car. Your less likely to have a dust clog, and the jobs done in a minute or two with the 12v.

Any way... you sound like you've been a good virgin, with all the reading up, and not thinking this is some rave. Because outside of bacon, the only thing a vet loves is corrupting a good virgin.
C, I just noticed your tag line while at work and laughed out loud so loudly my boss came shooting out of his office to see what the fuss was about. Oh, I love you so.

C187
Camp Name: BRC Welding & Repair / Black Hole

Post by C187 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:37 am

VeganChoirGirl wrote:C, I just noticed your tag line while at work and laughed out loud so loudly my boss came shooting out of his office to see what the fuss was about. Oh, I love you so.
Something must be in the air, someone sent me a PM about it last night. Wasn't the hippie, but someone with some old pride by the way it looks. oh well.. :roll:
I have a little bit of Savannah with me. Shhh...

VeganChoirGirl

Post by VeganChoirGirl » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:41 am

C187 wrote:
VeganChoirGirl wrote:C, I just noticed your tag line while at work and laughed out loud so loudly my boss came shooting out of his office to see what the fuss was about. Oh, I love you so.
Something must be in the air, someone sent me a PM about it last night. Wasn't the hippie, but someone with some old pride by the way it looks. oh well.. :roll:
BAHAHAHA! We talked about you at the party over the weekend. You're a legend.

Ugly Dougly

Post by Ugly Dougly » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:00 am

:)
If there were a lot of restrictions on what kind of art is acceptable at Burning Man, would it really be Burning Man at that point?

Most of the restrictions happen around funded art, as you can imagine.

Return to “The Greeter's Station”