Getting there from la belle France :)

Start here - tell us about yourself and what brings you to ePlaya.
MightyMacs

Getting there from la belle France :)

Post by MightyMacs » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:23 am

Bon jour tous le monde,

Very excited to have found you All and sending my Love & best wishes for a Happy, Healthy 2011 xx

Originally from Scotland, I am now living in the glorious Pyrenées Orientales...mysterious, magical, magnificent :)

As I will be coming from the South of France I would be grateful for any information on nearest airport and on any groups that may be travelling by bus or train? and who would be happy for me (and hopefully my friend...she doesn't know yet but I am manifesting a situation whereby we can come together :) to join them :)

We love dancing, creating and adventures...och aye the noo!!!

Live Love
Carole x
...there is no time, only the beat of your Heart and it beats with the Heart of the Earth and All that Is ~ Live Love

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:30 am

Hey there, welcome to eplaya!

JK
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

MightyMacs

Post by MightyMacs » Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:18 am

...thank you JK...enchanté :)
...there is no time, only the beat of your Heart and it beats with the Heart of the Earth and All that Is ~ Live Love

delle

Post by delle » Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:42 pm

BIENVENUE!!!

Quel cadeau extraordinare que vous vous offrez!

Quoique je ne suis pas la meilleure personne pour répondre à vos questions, n'ayant pas encore eu le plaisir d'assister à ce Magnifique événement, je vous souhaite quand même la plus chaleureuse des bienvenues!

:-)
Worry is a misuse of imagination

She had blue skin, And so did he.
He kept it hid And so did she.
They searched for blue Their whole life through,
Then passed right by- And never knew.”

Shel Silverstein

Tazz
Burning Since: 2006

Post by Tazz » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:55 pm

I agree with what delle said, I think?!!

Welcome to eplaya.

Tazz

Tazz
Burning Since: 2006

Post by Tazz » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:04 pm

The closest international aiport is San Francisco. The closest commercial airport is in Reno. How you get to the playa kind of depends on how you are surviving on the playa. You could rent an an RV and have a self-contained home. You could rent a car and pick up your playa needs in Reno. As we get closer the the burn, there is a ride share board on this website.

The closest train station is about 100 miles away. Our public transit system is no match for Europe's!

Read and re-read the Survival Guide, read this discussion board, and then you will have the info you need to make transportation decisions.

Tazz

MightyMacs

Post by MightyMacs » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:44 am

Thank you Tazz....I need to get my thinking cap on and get planning :)

C x

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:39 am

Tazz wrote:The closest train station is about 100 miles away. Our public transit system is no match for Europe's!
Okay, okay, usually I'm all for denegrating our public transit situation. However, in this case the Black Rock Desert's remoteness is a positive part of the Burningman Gestalt.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:39 am

theCryptofishist wrote:
Tazz wrote:The closest train station is about 100 miles away. Our public transit system is no match for Europe's!
Okay, okay, usually I'm all for denegrating our public transit situation. However, in this case the Black Rock Desert's remoteness is a positive part of the Burningman Gestalt.
Of course, I have more to complain about Europe's train system than the rest of the board put together.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

MisaBlue
Burning Since: 2010

Post by MisaBlue » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:39 pm

Hi MM and welcome to eplaya!

Do as suggested - read, read, read...you will find a lot to help you.

AND enjoy eplaya, be active, chat with people, make friends here - that helped me last year to get myself from Europe to playa!

MightyMacs

Post by MightyMacs » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:54 am

...thanks MisaBlue...lovely to meet you xx & Cryptofishist...it's pretty remote here too (mountain village in the Pyrenées) and we are a village of 40 max...no trains for us either :) I need to plan carefully, especially if I am coming on my own and so getting to the nearest international airport is my first step...then train to nearest town...and then...and so on :)

I'm guessing I need a few days either side just to get there and then home again :)

LIve LOve
Carole x

pizzamancer
Burning Since: 2008

Post by pizzamancer » Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:54 am

You need to fly into Seattle and ride the dragon Wagon. It is the best option out there. Dragon Pilot will pick you up at the air port and he continually has the funnest peeps on his treks. PM me for his contact details if you want. I flew in from Japan in 2008 and went with him. Best decision I made that year.

geekster

Post by geekster » Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:13 pm

If you make that left in Albuquerque, you will end up in Pismo Beach.
Pabst Blue Ribbon - The beer that made Gerlach famous.

MightyMacs

Post by MightyMacs » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:06 am

...are you speaking from experience geekster ;)

curiousgnate

Post by curiousgnate » Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:45 pm

dragon pilot is awesome, he camped with his hoard at stag camp last year and we had a blast. not sure where he is camping this year but he is fun! I would start by getting to SF early like maybe 3 days or so. scour the boards here and you can probably find people to ride/camp with. Start chatting people up now though. as it gets closer to burn time people are less willing to commit to taking newbies. check out stag camp if you might want a cool group of people to camp with. stagcamp.probaords.com. Im dirty nate on there. wish i was in France right about now. anyway good luck and hope you have a great burn!
Creating Peace Through Anarchy Every Day!!! Stagger for life!

xaramonkey
Burning Since: 1997
Camp Name: yet Xara still remains

Post by xaramonkey » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:07 pm

If you pack light. Like Backpack light: There are people looking for riders to start from all over the country/continent. If all else fails, plane or bus into Reno and hitch hike to BRC. I did it in '03 and got a ride in about 15 minutes. Even if you can only get a ride to the truck stop at the Gerlach Exit. Get off there. From that truck stop ALL ROADS LEAD TO BURNINGMAN, but look out for Federali Checkpoints and Juanitos.
I said to the Good Abbot John: "Why would monkeys go from being covered in fur and having thumbs on 4 limbs to being naked and only having thumbs on 2?" He said to me: "Maybe we didn't come from monkeys, maybe THEY came from US."

Lowz
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Hostel (but CNV stays in my heart)

Post by Lowz » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:40 am

Bonjour,

il y a tant à faire et à préparer je suppose que tu connais
le forum des french burner ?
http://www.frenchburners.org/content/view/247/279/
Cette année le perfect world est de retour (hopefully)

De mémoire je sais que qq'un recherche des gens du pays basque ..peut-êter un futur compagnon de voyage

A bientôt sur la Playa :)
John Clod
For the People
Suarez principle #23 " The Whims of The President and Chairman are final."
I feel every year fantastic, shitty and great days all.

MightyMacs

Post by MightyMacs » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:51 am

[quote="Lowz"]Bonjour,

il y a tant à faire et à préparer je suppose que tu connais
le forum des french burner ?
http://www.frenchburners.org/content/view/247/279/
Cette année le perfect world est de retour (hopefully)

De mémoire je sais que qq'un recherche des gens du pays basque ..peut-êter un futur compagnon de voyage

A bientôt sur la Playa :)[/quote]

tee hee...merci beaucoup Lowz...je suis Écossaise :) et oui, je parle Français mais je préfère l'anglais :lol:

..is this how you will be doing it this year?

Live Love
C x

MightyMacs

Post by MightyMacs » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:54 am

...thanks xaramoney & curiousgnate (have you been to France before?) xxxx

PavementBlues
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Sideshow

Post by PavementBlues » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:27 am

Ah, I love French Burners. Every time I see a French person on the playa, they are always so incredibly wide-eyed and excited (relatively speaking, since everyone out there is). Look forward to seeing you out in the dust!

gyre

Post by gyre » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:42 am

Had an invitation to stay in a country house in the south and never made it over for that.
Hope to follow up soon, if I can find the contact info.

Return to “The Greeter's Station”