Finally going to the Playa

Start here - tell us about yourself and what brings you to ePlaya.
strangeloop
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Arrakis Spice Market

Finally going to the Playa

Post by strangeloop » Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:59 am

Greetings,

I've been lurking the ePlaya for a few weeks now since purchasing a ticket. Pleased to meet you.

I've been trying to get to Burning Man for over 12 years now, but forces and flaky friends have conspired against me. Knowing I'm not getting any younger, and my wife having absolutely no interest in a weeklong festival in the desert, I'm going solo this year. Already bought my ticket and my plane ticket into Reno.

About me: 39, small business owner from Louisville, KY. Used to attend the Even Furthur events that Drop Bass put on here in the Midwest.

I was initially interested in trying to join up with a theme camp for my first burn, but it sounds like there are just as many reasons to be a wanderer and join a camp another year.

I have more questions, and will ask them in the appropriate forum. I'm sure there are other first timers with similar questions. Or maybe they've already been asked and answered.

See you in August!

Minxy

Post by Minxy » Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:23 am

Hey, welcome to Eplaya! :)

Glad to hear you're making it this year! It's well worth it, you'll have a blast.

The boards are supposed to go down for an upgrade today, but generally using the "search" function for your questions is suggested before posting questions that have been answered a million times. Sounds like you already know that.

I hope to meet you on the playa! :)
"If I moop your head, I shall be very displeased." - Savannah

illy dilly
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Post by illy dilly » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:12 am

Strangeloop!
Sounds like you are going to be very prepared and you are very self reliant!
Welcome to eplaya!

Hope to see you at the eplaya meet and greet!
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave

curiousgnate

Post by curiousgnate » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:36 am

Hi and welcome! I went to even further, the one with daft punk, and where it rained all weekend and there was mud everywhere. super fun! Burningman is a whole other beast! make sure you read the survival guide, and bring everything you will need for the week. Have a great burn!
Creating Peace Through Anarchy Every Day!!! Stagger for life!

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:39 am

Hey there, welcome to eplaya!

Have questions? Read this first: http://www.burningman.com/first_timers/
Everybody on eplaya is always excited to help first timers; but in sympathy for some of us old timers, please get your required reading out of the way before posting. As hard as it is to rein in the the excitement and enthusiasm, and as unbelievable as it might seem, most of your questions have already been asked and answered, if you just take a moment to read.

Now, let the adventure begin!
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

C.f.M.
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Stag Camp 810&D

Post by C.f.M. » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:47 am

Some of my all-time favorite burners live in Kentucky.

Return to “The Greeter's Station”