Bay Area Resident First Burn

Start here - tell us about yourself and what brings you to ePlaya.
Rhythmic

Bay Area Resident First Burn

Post by Rhythmic » Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:22 pm

Hello Everyone,

I've been stalking these boards for a couple of weeks now and decided that I should register and introduce myself. :D
This will be my first time to Burning Man, although I have gone to a couple of Decompressions and many fundraising events. I got serious about attending last year, but decided that my life situation, at the time, was more important and needed attention. So after reading the guides and starting to prepare myself, I never bought the ticket and watched the streaming feed online instead. :cry:
I was feeling the same way about 3 weeks ago, but after a little good fortune and attending Opulent Temple's fundraiser on TI, I told my veteran Burner friends that I was in :!:
I've long since read the survival guide and the first timer's guide and have reviewed them again recently. I will be travelling with my veteran friends, but I will be self sufficient regardless.
I am very much looking forward to this amazing event/experience as the Burner functions that I have been attending were just a tease for me. Most of all I look forward to the dance and the freedom that it brings me. I see there is even a little salsa and a little swing to enjoy.

That's enough blabb for now, I just wanted to introduce myself and start the participation.

See you on the Playa,

Rhythmic

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Re: Bay Area Resident First Burn

Post by Eric » Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:01 pm

Hi Rythmic, welcome to the board, and, more importantly to your first year on the playa!

My one suggestion for your first year is to plan for the worst thing possible and be happy if it doesn't happen (ie: too much food, water, bike repair kits, etc). Make sure when you leave camp (even to run to the JOTS) that you have water on you. A five minute run down the street can end up keeping you away from camp for hours.

Decompression & events in SF give a taste of the playa, but remember: decompression is to Burning Man what a bathtub is to the ocean.

If you happen to remember- on Thursday night starting at 6pm we have the eplaya Meet & Greet; it's a great way of finding out who the faces behind the names are, if you don't get so drunk you forget (*cough*).
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Former Ass't Editor & columnist, BRC Weekly

Savannah
Burning Since: 2023

Post by Savannah » Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:40 pm

Hi Rhythmic! :)

Rhythmic

Post by Rhythmic » Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:13 pm

Thanks for the welcomes! Where is the meet and greet at? I doubt I will be drunk, but I still may be learning my way around and have a hard time getting there. Also, just curious, how is the ticket numbering? I ordered mine online this past week (paid a premium, but I know it will be in my hand soon and it's not fake) and was wondering if I could tell how many would have been sold by looking at it. I started to have fears that they were going to announce that they were now SOLD OUT (that's what they said the week I was going to buy one at one of the walk up outlets)!

Rhythmic

Savannah
Burning Since: 2023

Post by Savannah » Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:26 pm

The Meet & Greet:

Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro (keep an eye out for all the Barbies)
3:30 and E
Thursday of the event
6-8pm . . . Apparently the largest attendance is at the beginning.

Bring food, booze or ice for the potluck. (There's ice at the nearby 3'oclock Plaza, but I'm not sure what time they close . . . )

I actually have 2 ticket stubs from years past next to my desk here, and I do not glimpse an easily interpreted ticket numbering system, but maybe there's something here in the bar code. Go ahead and just feel lucky, as the event is indeed expected to sell out. :)

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Post by Eric » Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:00 pm

Also- don't worry if you miss the Meet 'n Greet: it took me about 6 years to finally make one (last year, as a matter of fact). It's easy to get distracted by shiny blinkie things...
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Former Ass't Editor & columnist, BRC Weekly

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:59 am

Eric wrote:It's easy to get distracted by shiny blinkie things...
Such as cute young things of your preferred gender.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:09 am

Hey there, welcome to eplaya!
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

Return to “The Greeter's Station”