Hello, I am playa hanjin

Start here - tell us about yourself and what brings you to ePlaya.
playa hanjin

Hello, I am playa hanjin

Post by playa hanjin » Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:31 am

. . . but you can call me hanjin.

I am a 28 year old dude from Portland, OR and 2011 will be my sophomore burn. 2010 changed my life (that happens, right?)

As way of introduction I'd like to share my plans for 2012 and beyond. The event starts in 15 days, but already I have ideas for how I want to do it differently next time. That is how I work: I am a long-term planner.

First, let's review the decisions I made about this year.
  • I was bringing my girlfriend (Nooo! they told me. Danger! they warned me).
    I was volunteering at least two days (Playa Naming Booth, set-up and Tuesday from 1230-330, stop by).
    I was renting a car to get there (Noooo! I heard, Big fines and cleaning fees! they warned me).
    I was building a Camp Danger Folding Hexayurt. And strapping it to the top of our rented SUV. As the event approaches, this is the decision that's got me most worried, not the above.
    I was going to get a cohesive, high-quality costume, in theme, and wear it most of the week . . . well actually two costumes, including one for night. I was going to do the costuming thing RIGHT. Yeah. Right. (This isn't going to happen).
    I was going to use a CamelBak instead of carrying around a water bottle. (Thumbs up).
    I was going to have my OWN camp, rather than join a theme camp or buddy up with some vets.
    I was going to bring a solar shower, and an evap pond. I'm hoping these will work out.
    I was going to buy a more suitable and rideable bike, and trick it out with big wheels, bell, basket, lights and lamp. (Done).
It remains to be seen how well these decisions will work out. For many of them, though, I have a pretty good idea, and so I'm going to write my list of things I want to try, or do, next year (or the next couple years).
  • I am GOING to buy a Black Rock Cruiser with ballooner tires. The bike I got for this year, while serviceable, is really more for commuting (i.e., I'm afraid the tires aren't big enough).
    Go ultra-lightfoot: rent a compact hybrid car, pack a tiny 1-man tent or bivy, a modest shade structure, no shower or evap, no costumes, and camp minimalist, literally in a slice between two bigger camps.
    Alternatively: build a bigger, better Hexayurt next year with 3" Thermax instead of 1", a full-size door, a swamp cooler or two, and rent a cargo van to transport it all in (maybe a sound system?)
    I'd love to volunteer and somehow get myself onto the City Building Crew (Department of Public Works?) And be the one pounding rebar and rolling out the trash fence. That just looks so glamorous. Also, clean-up after it's over.
    I'd like to get some of those stilts. But only if they were part of a bigger costume. Maybe a top hat and tails -- the longest tails ever?
    I'd like to bring an upright piano. (In the cargo van?) And give Piano Lessons.
    I'd love to buy a good Canon digital SLR and take some really high quality pictures. (Yeah, Michael Holden is pretty much my hero, I doubt I could ever match his skill, but I can try!)
    Costume idea: Samurai.
    Costume AND Theme camp idea: TRON. (TRON and Burning Man: match made in Heaven).
The thing I love about Burning Man (apart from the community, the freedom, the people, the blinky, the boom, the whoosh, the fire, the nudity, and the hassle of getting there, of course) is that it's a totally blank canvas, and the creativity of others that I see really just inspires me to think outside the box and project my own creativity into the world, whether that be through costuming, bike deco, radical self-reliance in shelter, or other.

That's it for now. I've been voraciously vacuuming up all the wisdom on this board for weeks and can't wait to see you all back home.
In 15 days.

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Re: Hello, I am playa hanjin

Post by Elderberry » Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:06 am

Hey there, welcome to eplaya.

3" thick panels for your Hexayurt? Why? Overkill if you ask me. Even those with 8' high walls work great with 1" material.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Brainy Bar

Post by trilobyte » Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:20 pm

Hi, and welcome to ePlaya hanjin!

Nah, no problem with renting a vehicle. Just make sure that you return it in as good (or better) condition than it was in when you rented it. For Burning Man, the best way to do that is to a) close the vents when you turn off the paved road, and b) unload your gear and then close the vehicle up tight, don't keep opening it back up. Then, once you get back and unloaded, take the car to a car wash and give it the deluxe treatment (you know, undercarriage, cleaning out the inside, etc) and tip the guys who climb around inside the vehicle and make it look normal again.

As for girlfriends/relationships on the playa, it could totally work out. Maybe it's the extreme environment, maybe it's all the other madness, but the playa tends to magnify any problems and occasionally put strain on personal relationships. If things are solid, you may not have any problems (or you can work through the ones you encounter). My girlfriend and I are making our third trip to the playa together this year, and expect we'll survive intact.

Sounds like some great plans, both for this year and for next.

Savannah
Burning Since: 2023

Post by Savannah » Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:41 pm

Hi Hanjin!

You may have seen it, already from the sounds of things, but if you haven't, here's a link to the Relationship Survival Guide:
http://www.burningman.com/preparation/e ... ships.html

playa hanjin

Post by playa hanjin » Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:06 pm

I have read the Relationship Survival Guide. . . and made her read it too. I'm pretty confident we'll get along just fine.

Thanks for the perspective on 3" panels, also. . . my gf and I were staring at them in Home Depot going, "really? Do we really want to strap a 3" thick package to the top of our rental? Nahhhh. . . " my gut told me 1" was the right way to go. We'll see how it performs on the playa. It's gotta be cooler than just shade alone, right?

illy dilly
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Post by illy dilly » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:13 am

Welcome to eplaya!
I have a feeling you'll fit right in here. And that you'll be able to gain some tips and tricks from eplaya in return.

This will be my Junior year. Freshman year was a learning experience, Sophmore year pulled it off on our own, Junior year we're a theme camp!
Funny thing is, last night, we were talking about comparing years at Burning Man to High School and giving out diplomas as a Rite of Passage. And giving out Bachelors, Masters, and Ph D's to really seasoned vets.
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave

Return to “The Greeter's Station”