Hello!

Start here - tell us about yourself and what brings you to ePlaya.
forty_eight
Burning Since: 2013

Hello!

Postby forty_eight » Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:12 pm

Posting up an actual introduction thread ... thanks in advance to all the posters and mods that make the ePlaya happen.

I hesitate at these types of threads because they are terminally doomed, lol. It seems like this place could be an exception, so here goes.

I plan to attend Burning Man in 2012, and there are so many things to consider. How can I paticipate? What will be my gift? Where will I camp? What I will I eat and drink? How will I keep my food and beverage cool? How will 'I' keep cool? What kind of power do I need? Electrolytes? MOOP? How I can prevent being a sparkle pony, tourist or a god-forsaken darkward?

It's out of control, though. Brainstorm is an understatement. EMT? EL Wire? The open browser tabs and the googling ... it's hilarity. The lack of a theme is actually helping me ratchet down the mania. There's time, right? Things need alignment and that takes time ... ommmmmm.

I will be attending with my wife, and I have been trying to expose her to as much of the 'stimuli' possible. We've both known about TTITD for years, but it's obvious we knew nothing. So by stimuli, I just mean general information from weather to the 10 Principles, Mutant Vehicles, etc. One of our friends is a something-like 7-time burner, and she is actually a childhood friend of my wife. We are meeting up with her before the New Year to discuss 'details' as our friend put it! Once I had told her I had geeked out on BMIR.org, the Ustream feed and basically that my wife and I had participated in Rites of Passage as part of Camp Envy, she was happy to hear we were going and that the rest was just 'details'. (Quick aside: Do I have this right? Those of us logging into the Ustream were so-called 'Camp Envy' ... or was that the name of the camp that provided the fabulous services? Enormuous thanks to those that did that ... it just goes to the mind-blowing scale that seems to be BRC!)

Well, I've said enough ... like I said, these threads are doomed. Haha

Thanks again, people!

graidawg
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: CAMP Hooker

Re: Hello!

Postby graidawg » Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:26 pm

hI THERE welcome to eplaya!

all your questions can answered soemwhere on here. someone (savannah i think) said as the search function is rubbish just type your questions in google and it usually leads to eplaya threads. however you have time to find and read all of eplaya if you want.

As a 1st time burner this year all i can say is Welcome Home was the start of a grand week for me and when I left BRC with a heavy heart I longed to be at greeters again being welcomed back to my home in the desert. Have fun preparing and see you there.
FREE THE SHERPAS
Burners with torches is right and natural and just.-fishy.
CATCH AND RELEASE.

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Postby Savannah » Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:51 pm

Hello again, 48_Love. You sound as distractible as me! Good thing you're starting now. :)

Two things that might help you focus:

* Figure out how you're getting there (driving, vs. flying + shopping). This will help you . . .
* Start your packing list . . . if you haven't done it already. Start with the Survival Guide from "Preparation" on the main Burning Man site, so as to know what to pack. It has a beginner's list. You can also random google lists.

As Grai says, googling keyword eplaya is very helpful if this site's "Search" remains as fun as it ever was:

gifts eplaya
goggles eplaya
electrolytes eplaya . . . etc

Finally, "Camp Envy" = everyone who wanted to be there and couldn't, plus the camp that so nicely streamed the event.

forty_eight

Postby forty_eight » Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:30 am

Savannah wrote:Finally, "Camp Envy" = everyone who wanted to be there and couldn't, plus the camp that so nicely streamed the event.

Nice, thanks!

Forum search tools are notorious ... you gotta manage expectations with forum software when it comes to search. It might be me, but using the search field inside a sub-forum often seems a bit more fruitful. Rather than use the forum level search for 'reflective tarps' use the search inside the shelters sub-forum, or whatever. Ha, anyways ... maybe that'll help other n00bs! The Google suggestion is a winner, too!

I found out there was a mini-ramp using search. Then I googled and found this epicness:

http://sk8kamp.com/

Already reaching out! If anyone from this camp are known posters (misfit was the poster who mentioned a ramp; been offline, pm sent), please link it up!

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby Elderberry » Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:10 am

Hey there, welcome to eplaya!
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:06 am

I love your avatar.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

gaminwench
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP, Destiny Lounge

Postby gaminwench » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:16 am

Hi!

Which part of the planet do you inhabit?
Chances are, there's an active burner group somewhere nearby...
"the prophecies of doom were better last year" trilo

forty_eight

Postby forty_eight » Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:43 am

theCryptofishist wrote:I love your avatar.

Thank you!

gaminwench wrote:Hi!

Which part of the planet do you inhabit?
Chances are, there's an active burner group somewhere nearby...

I currently reside deep behind the Orange Curtain in Orange County, CA ... I've joined the OC Burners Yahoo Group and the email list. I need to actually introduce myself, though. I had existing plans during the LA Decom, and I don't think I can get organized in time for the San Diego Youtopia event. Reading the email discussion from OC Burners, it seems like it's convenient to leverage both regions. Regardless, I'm sure something will come up in the area between now and when the gates to BRC are flung open once again. I also mentioned my friend who has been to a bunch of burns. We might tag along with her for something. She's been learning the whole fire spinning thing, and I believe she is now affiliated to some fire group in LA. She used to help organize a small theme camp, so I'm pretty sure she will be a great resource.

I'm pretty excited by the whole thing!

illy dilly
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Postby illy dilly » Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:34 pm

48 Love!
Welcome to eplaya!
You are 10 steps ahead of the game!

Many many many folks don't decide/know they are going tell June/July.
You will be more than ok!

How does the wife feel about Bman?
Our first year my GF was not so sure. Finally and sadly I had to say "well, I'm going with or with out you"... She decided to come, and looking back can't figure out how she even considered missing it.
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave

Kontradiction

Postby Kontradiction » Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:05 pm

Hi and welcome! 2012 will be me and my man's 1st Burn too. I am also curious about gifting and MOOP and whatnot. I've joined the L.A. Burners FB Page to keep up on Events.
'I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I'm all out of bubblegum'

"Rowdy" Roddy Piper, They Live

Kickass Cook, Bitchin' Mixologist, Good Friend, Constant Student of Life, Experienced Kinkster-

tamarakay
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby tamarakay » Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:16 pm

Gifts - really your first year the best gift is yourself. Help put up a tent, give a hug, smile at someone who looks lost and strike up a conversation. Trust me, after year one you will have a pretty good idea of where you want to go with it all for year two.

Moop - don't let anything hit the ground and if you see something on the ground, pick it up. We picked up moop at every truck stop, rest area, rv park, and side of the road we stopped at on all the way home.

Welcome to Eplaya!
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man - Token

Getting overly dramatic about the ticket sale process is so 2012. - Maladroit

http://www.dyewithdignity.com

Drawingablank
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby Drawingablank » Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:12 pm

welcome
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide

Kontradiction

Postby Kontradiction » Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:57 pm

tamarakay wrote:Gifts - really your first year the best gift is yourself. Help put up a tent, give a hug, smile at someone who looks lost and strike up a conversation. Trust me, after year one you will have a pretty good idea of where you want to go with it all for year two.

Moop - don't let anything hit the ground and if you see something on the ground, pick it up. We picked up moop at every truck stop, rest area, rv park, and side of the road we stopped at on all the way home.

Welcome to Eplaya!

Yeah, I'm already looking into "pitch-in" options but don't get me started on Playa Foot....after all I make a living doing feet primarily...
'I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I'm all out of bubblegum'

Kickass Cook, Bitchin' Mixologist, Good Friend, Constant Student of Life, Experienced Kinkster-

theCryptofishist

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:24 pm

Kontradiction wrote:
tamarakay wrote:Gifts - really your first year the best gift is yourself. Help put up a tent, give a hug, smile at someone who looks lost and strike up a conversation. Trust me, after year one you will have a pretty good idea of where you want to go with it all for year two.

Welcome to Eplaya!

Yeah, I'm already looking into "pitch-in" options but don't get me started on Playa Foot....after all I make a living doing feet primarily...

ARe you up for a challenge...
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.

ygmir
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby ygmir » Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:28 pm

thanks Fishy....I just wasted a good snort of cognac

*screen wipes, please*
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

theCryptofishist

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:41 pm

That's why you should always drink the cheap shit around me.
The Lady with a Lamprey

ygmir

Postby ygmir » Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:50 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:That's why you should always drink the cheap shit around me.

well, wasn't the Vodka toast, with BBS, Killbuck et al "the good stuff" today?
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

theCryptofishist

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:00 pm

ygmir wrote:
theCryptofishist wrote:That's why you should always drink the cheap shit around me.

Like I said at the time, I don't know what it means that Russian Standard is a vodka and American Standard is a toilet...
The Lady with a Lamprey

ygmir

Postby ygmir » Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:02 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:
ygmir wrote:

Like I said at the time, I don't know what it means that Russian Standard is a vodka and American Standard is a toilet...

that, could be a coffee table book...............
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

theCryptofishist

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:05 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:
ygmir wrote:

ygmir wrote:that, could be a coffee table book...............

In Soviet Russia coffee table books you!
The Lady with a Lamprey

forty_eight

Postby forty_eight » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:27 pm

illy dilly wrote:How does the wife feel about Bman?
Our first year my GF was not so sure. Finally and sadly I had to say "well, I'm going with or with out you"... She decided to come, and looking back can't figure out how she even considered missing it.

When I first started listening to BMIR on Monday of Rites of Passage, she was like, really ... Burning Man? Then I found the UStream Camp Envy feed and the city lights turned on. The Temple. We listened and watched here and there all week up until Saturday morning. We had a camping trip planned for Labor Day weekend in the mountains outside of Bishop, CA. So, off we went. It was actually a little hard to leave my computer, and I LOVE camping and the otudoors. It was a great weekend, but the hook was finally set driving back down US 395 and seeing signs of burners ... and playafied bikes!

I experienced a sympathetic serotonin dip. A sort of excited melancholy. Once my wife started brainstorming (she is a rabid planner with a never turn back attitude) I knew it was ON!

We can't wait!

Kontradiction

Postby Kontradiction » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:28 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:
Kontradiction wrote:

Welcome to Eplaya!

ARe you up for a challenge...

Yep. : ) And YES, I am cool with working on people with circulation issues/diabetes.

forty_eight

Postby forty_eight » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:29 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:Like I said at the time, I don't know what it means that Russian Standard is a vodka and American Standard is a toilet...

Signature worthy! haha

theCryptofishist

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:30 pm

Where do I order one of these rabid planner wives? With a never turn back attitude. They sound very useful. I bet I"d have to pay a pretty penny...
The Lady with a Lamprey

forty_eight

Postby forty_eight » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:37 pm

ejects wine through nose, lol

i would like to think her utlity is decommodified, or whatever ... really, i just got very lucky! haha

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Postby Savannah » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:35 pm

48_love wrote:When I first started listening to BMIR on Monday of Rites of Passage, she was like, really ... Burning Man? Then I found the UStream Camp Envy feed and the city lights turned on. The Temple. We listened and watched here and there all week up until Saturday morning. We had a camping trip planned for Labor Day weekend in the mountains outside of Bishop, CA. So, off we went. It was actually a little hard to leave my computer, and I LOVE camping and the otudoors. It was a great weekend, but the hook was finally set driving back down US 395 and seeing signs of burners ... and playafied bikes!

I experienced a sympathetic serotonin dip. A sort of excited melancholy. Once my wife started brainstorming (she is a rabid planner with a never turn back attitude) I knew it was ON!

We can't wait!

Wow. :D I love that . . . watching the feed, the close encounters and the sympathetic serotonin dip! Crazy. Love it.

NessaZee

Postby NessaZee » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:14 pm

Hi!
Welcome :)

regarding gifting...i usually just bring some extras of what i usually need/love to have. lighters; canisters to hold butts; coconut water; yummy food; lip balm; caribiners; blinky things; OLIVES; prosciutto; vodka; ginger tea; canadian/american/menthol cigarettes; bacon; plentiful first aid and remedy kit; scarves; goggles; love.

it is so amazingly awesome to share the last of something you love.
~Om-Nom-Nom~~simplicity is potent~~handjob gallery~~the best is yet to come~

tamarakay
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby tamarakay » Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:12 am

NessaZee wrote:Hi!
Welcome :)

regarding gifting...i usually just bring some extras of what i usually need/love to have. lighters; canisters to hold butts; coconut water; yummy food; lip balm; caribiners; blinky things; OLIVES; prosciutto; vodka; ginger tea; canadian/american/menthol cigarettes; bacon; plentiful first aid and remedy kit; scarves; goggles; love.

it is so amazingly awesome to share the last of something you love.

One lovely couple gave me a young coconut. It had been frozen, they cut a hole in it and stuck a straw in. The most refreshing drink EVER. Then I got to break it up and share the coconut with some camp mates. So very lovely.
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man - Token

Getting overly dramatic about the ticket sale process is so 2012. - Maladroit

http://www.dyewithdignity.com

illy dilly
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Postby illy dilly » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:39 am

48_love wrote:When I first started listening to BMIR on Monday of Rites of Passage, she was like, really ... Burning Man? Then I found the UStream Camp Envy feed and the city lights turned on. The Temple. We listened and watched here and there all week up until Saturday morning. We had a camping trip planned for Labor Day weekend in the mountains outside of Bishop, CA. So, off we went. It was actually a little hard to leave my computer, and I LOVE camping and the otudoors. It was a great weekend, but the hook was finally set driving back down US 395 and seeing signs of burners ... and playafied bikes!

We can't wait!

Thats amazing!
"Sympathetic Serotonin Dip" Sounds like a movie title. Or possibly that temporary condition that happens to a person when they are the designated driver for their friends, even though they are sober just being around the intoxicate folks makes you feel a bit intoxicated.

I'm so glad your wife is already so totally into it!

Have you started eagerly 'thrift storing' yet? It'll likely end up being one of your favorite past times!
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave

forty_eight

Postby forty_eight » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:22 am

Why yes, I have been to the thrift store already ... picked up a really cool silk button-up shirt with a funky leaf print.

The swap meet trip was hilarious. Between checking out EVERY shade structre and a half hour discussion with the shade structure vendor, I saw a bunch of stuff that would be cool ... but a lot of potentially moopy stuff, too. I like the colorful windmill thingies, but they would certainly need retrofitting to sustain themselves in playa winds. At least I have to believe they would!

Pretty much every item I see gets distilled through a (virgin's) Burning Man lens at the moment. It's borderline obsessive.

Return to “The Greeter's Station”