My new home?

Start here - tell us about yourself and what brings you to ePlaya.
gaminwench
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP, Destiny Lounge

Re: My new home?

Post by gaminwench » Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:00 pm

Hello and welcome!

I, for one, enjoy your enthusiasm;
hopefully the curmudgeons among us (I include myself) won't dampen your spirit.

Gifts are lovely, but overrated in newbies' preparation.

My vintage (70's?) Schwinn is an awesome playa ride; fat tires, stuffed animal seat cushion, lit flag and basket on the back make it the perfect BRC bike.

Engaging the eplaya denizens is probably the single most beneficial thing you'll do in preparation;
the wealth of incredible knowledge here (both playa and life applicable), readily available for the asking, is astonishing.

Beware the snarks, read a lot, take video with a grain of salt, ask questions and make lists.
Leave your expectations under the Christmas tree.

You'll be great. :lol:
"the prophecies of doom were better last year" trilo

tamarakay
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by tamarakay » Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:21 pm

I am usually not a snarky person but this thread really exemplifies the most annoying possible types of threads. A person comes in and says xxxxxx, people say oh don't do xxxxxxx, so person says oh no, didn't mean xxxxxxx, I meant xxxxxyyyxx. So then people say oh ok, well xxxxxxxxxxyyyxx isn't a good idea so person comes back no no no I meany zzzzzzzz.

Jesus h Christ. What?

Come camping with us. As fishy says, we aren't the redemption of the world. We are just a bunch of fuckos trying to muck along and each year we come together, create, destroy, build, destroy, burn and try not to die.

Dial it back. WAY back. Shelter, food, water, excrement. The rest will take care of itself.
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man - Token

Getting overly dramatic about the ticket sale process is so 2012. - Maladroit

http://www.dyewithdignity.com

tamarakay
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by tamarakay » Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:23 pm

Really I do love excitement but I really don't want you thinking we are going to fix you. Who the fuck has time for that?
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man - Token

Getting overly dramatic about the ticket sale process is so 2012. - Maladroit

http://www.dyewithdignity.com

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Post by Eric » Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:32 pm

This is more in general, I'm pointing this out everywhere I see it:
CleCub wrote:I simply meant that I'm sure it exists but is irrelevant because we're supposed to be there for something greater and common between burners. Self exploration and expression, making new connections, giving part of yourself back to the community and many more.
No, we're not supposed to be there for that. "We're" not there for anything specific, other than to be there. Every person comes for their own reason, and every one of those reasons is valid (as long as it doesn't involve hurting the person or property of another). That's the hardest part you're going to have to understand about BRC - it's a city of almost 70,000 people, and just like any city of that size there are 70,000+ different agendas, plans, desires, goals...

Personally, not to be harsh, but I could give a flying fuck about self exploration. I've got a pretty firm grip on who I am, and, while I keep growing & changing, I don't need to sit around in the dust trying to figure out how to express myself. Ask anyone who's met me - I have problems, but self expression isn't any of them. That said, one of my best friends spends part of his time there doing exactly that self exploration I have no need for. Guess what? We both love the event, and have a great time together. We just go find other things to do when he wants to be mystical and I want to be drunk. Both of our reasons for going are valid, all of what we do there are valid reasons for being there.

Like the others have said, I'm not saying any of this to scare you away or to be an ass. I would love you to have a fantastic time, and you can, but the least amount of expectation, and having your mind clear as possible before the event - outside of survival, is going to be the best way to have fun.
I intend to show up, set up my camp, sit down go exploring and see what happens next.
Fixed that. :lol:

One more prep thing: the playa is not "sand". Not even close. Think talcum powder that turns into incredibly sticky clay when wet. That dust will get into and on everything: food, drinks, bed, hair, clothes... be one with the dust.
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Former Ass't Editor & columnist, BRC Weekly

Savannah
Burning Since: 2023

Post by Savannah » Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:06 am

FossaFerox wrote:It rained THIS year and there was still monstrous dust at quite a few major intersections and all over the open playa. Especially if you ride at night when they're hard to see you can end up in deep dust without much warning.
The 3 o'clock side has had the worst ruts in the last several years! The opposite side has had it better, surface-wise . . . with more loose dust, however.

I used to love speeding in deep playa at night on my bike (exhilarating!) but the population was much smaller, and I had no one to keep up with. Now I love to roam free during the day, and group up at night.
*** The Burning Man Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:18 am

Welcome.

Have fun planning, buy the ticket, pack all the things, then get your boots in the dust. It will all work out.

CleCub
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: Birgin Camp 2014

Post by CleCub » Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:05 am

tamarakay wrote:Really I do love excitement but I really don't want you thinking we are going to fix you. Who the fuck has time for that?
Every person comes for their own reason, and every one of those reasons is valid (as long as it doesn't involve hurting the person or property of another).

I am aware that I have entered a battle of the minds and I am hopelessly unarmed. I am aware you dont attend for a set list of principals. I am aware of the fact that it might not even be "my cup of tea". Believe me, all of the comments have whipped my excitement back into check however my enthusiasm remains. The good possibilities of Burning Man far outweigh the possible bad.
Personally, not to be harsh, but I could give a flying fuck about self exploration. I've got a pretty firm grip on who I am....
Seriously....congratulations. Consider that some of us might not have such a firm grip and aspire to become more/better/bolder. I'm tired of doing what is expected of me and finally want to do something spontaneous and challenging. (And hopefully fun)

Historically, When it comes to new exciting ideas, I am like a balloon, increasingly overfilled with emotions. I'm glad you are all here on eplaya to let some of the air out so I don't explode into a million shredded pieces when I arrive at BRC.
"...there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me', though, if you jumble it up." -- House

CleCub

Post by CleCub » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:15 am

Edit:
I'm tired of doing what is expected of me and finally want to do something spontaneous and challenging. (And hopefully fun)

untried instead of spontaneous.
"...there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me', though, if you jumble it up." -- House

FossaFerox
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Vinyl Bunker

Post by FossaFerox » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:50 am

CleCub wrote: Historically, When it comes to new exciting ideas, I am like a balloon, increasingly overfilled with emotions. I'm glad you are all here on eplaya to let some of the air out so I don't explode into a million shredded pieces when I arrive at BRC.
That's why I've been posting in this thread. ;)
ygmir wrote:Everyone loves you there, and no one cares a shit about you..........all at once. and vice versa.

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Post by Eric » Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:16 pm

CleCub wrote:The good possibilities of Burning Man far outweigh the possible bad.
Still expectations, but better. :lol:

You're still engaging in this conversation, and listening. That bodes well, and you'll probably do just fine.
FossaFerox wrote:
CleCub wrote: Historically, When it comes to new exciting ideas, I am like a balloon, increasingly overfilled with emotions. I'm glad you are all here on eplaya to let some of the air out so I don't explode into a million shredded pieces when I arrive at BRC.
That's why I've been posting in this thread. ;)
Ditto.
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Former Ass't Editor & columnist, BRC Weekly

CleCub

Post by CleCub » Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:27 pm

Baby Steps for me. I gotta remember to learn how to walk before i can....ride a bike on the playa.

I have plenty of time to get a good plan in place and with good advise, I know I'll make it there.

Sham

Post by Sham » Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:15 pm

I can tell you that my first day on the playa each year, I am utterly miserable. I warn my camp mates to avoid me as I am just a bitter asshole. I fantasize about checking into a hotel--any hotel, as long as it has a bed, running water with a shower and toilet. Why the hell am I here? I am resigned that I am here for a week, so make the best of it, but continue muttering to myself.

Day two, the sun is shinning and I am connecting with people. I find myself seeing things, meeting people and doing things that are not happening anywhere else on the planet. This is the BEST place in the world. What was I thinking yesterday? My day continues with non-stop amazement. I count 30 or 40 unique interactions, art installations and eye popping events per day. Everything is cool.

What I thought was going to be the longest week of my life, flies by in a flash.

Burning Man is what you make it. You can become anything or anyone you want to. If you are short, you can wear 1 foot platform shoes and be tall. If you're bald, you can wear a polyester wig. Wear a prom dress for the day or go nekkid if you want. Hit your fears head-on and they won't be fears anymore. If you're painfully shy, make a plan and work on mingling and interacting. Volunteer and help someone struggling to put up their tent.

Prior to my first year, when I was making my plans, I got a camping shower bag and was sure there would be a tree of some sort so to hang it from. I missed the fact that it was a dried lake bed and there wasn't even a twig there. No expectations. Keep an open mind and come and enjoy.

CleCub

Post by CleCub » Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:09 am

Sham wrote:Burning Man is what you make it. You can become anything or anyone you want to. If you are short, you can wear 1 foot platform shoes and be tall. If you're bald, you can wear a polyester wig. Wear a prom dress for the day or go nekkid if you want. Hit your fears head-on and they won't be fears anymore. If you're painfully shy, make a plan and work on mingling and interacting. Volunteer and help someone struggling to put up their tent.
That sounds fun. I'm short, skinny AND shy....and thats what I wanna be (at least for a day) at burning man. Tall, Ripped and outgoing, even if its a costume. I read another great post by Brody called Tips for Shy People at Burning Manhttp://eplaya.burningman.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=45094This Post is filled with pages of useful information. I'm still not done reading all of it.

Good Stuff! Thank You.

Sham

Post by Sham » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:54 am

Today is the day to buy that leftover superhero costume (with the ripped chest and abs) and modify it for Burning Man. :D

CleCub

Post by CleCub » Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:05 am

Great idea. I found some old Cleveland Police uniform shits i had left over from partying at our camp in Pennsylvania. I think I can fit them into a costume and I have three of them to possibly trade on the playa. I used to have a Cleveland Fire Dept. uniform hat....that one will take some digging in storage but would be perfect as well. I've never been so excited to dress up for halloween but......this is going to be fun. Can't wait to visit the costume camps at BRC as well.

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:05 am

Nipple wrote:The first year I went and was filled with the Pollyanna beautiful joys and secrets of the universe.

Shortly after the burn last year, I found myself sitting in a hotel room in Reno trying to figure out why I do this.

This year: I cracked like an egg, and now I'm trying to decide if I'm an omelette, fried, or scrambled.
I;m poached. Definitely poached. Stolen from a country estate... Watch out for the gamekeeper...
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

ygmir
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:07 am

theCryptofishist wrote:
Nipple wrote:The first year I went and was filled with the Pollyanna beautiful joys and secrets of the universe.

Shortly after the burn last year, I found myself sitting in a hotel room in Reno trying to figure out why I do this.

This year: I cracked like an egg, and now I'm trying to decide if I'm an omelette, fried, or scrambled.
I;m poached. Definitely poached. Stolen from a country estate... Watch out for the gamekeeper...
figures: a Fish goes right for "poached".
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:09 am

tamarakay wrote:Really I do love excitement but I really don't want you thinking we are going to fix you. Who the fuck has time for that?
Reading that right after this:
Dial it back. WAY back. Shelter, food, water, excrement. The rest will take care of itself.
I read it as:
tamarakay wrote:Really I do love excrement but I really don't want you thinking we are going to fix you. Who the fuck has time for that?
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:10 am

CleCub wrote:Great idea. I found some old Cleveland Police uniform shits...
Well, that's some interesting info on the Cleveland Police--uniform shits. Also, ties in nicely with the above post...
The Lady with a Lamprey

Savannah

Post by Savannah » Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:15 pm

Instead of this thread being called "My new home?" we should retitle it "Our new home?" . . . because we seem to set up camp in it. :lol:

CleCub

Post by CleCub » Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:49 pm

Welcome home for the next 10 months lol. I'll be the official ecamp newbie for everyone to blame shit on and snark at.

FossaFerox
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Vinyl Bunker

Post by FossaFerox » Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:21 pm

So YOU'RE Bill...
ygmir wrote:Everyone loves you there, and no one cares a shit about you..........all at once. and vice versa.

Savannah

Post by Savannah » Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:30 pm

:lol:

BoyScoutGirl
Camp Name: Lamplighters!

Post by BoyScoutGirl » Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:49 pm

CleCub wrote:... and I have three of them to possibly trade on the playa...
By way of reminder:
Gifting
Burning Man is devoted to acts of gift giving. The value of a gift is unconditional. Gifting does not contemplate a return or an exchange for something of equal value. [emphasis mine]
+
Decommodification
In order to preserve the spirit of gifting, our community seeks to create social environments that are unmediated by commercial sponsorships, transactions, or advertising. We stand ready to protect our culture from such exploitation. We resist the substitution of consumption for participatory experience. [emphasis mine]
= no trading.

:D
When he lights his streetlamp, it is as if he brought one more star to life, or one flower.
When he puts out his lamp, he sends the flower, or the star, to sleep.
That is a beautiful occupation.

- Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

AntiM

Post by AntiM » Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:35 am

Drink some water, will ya?

dragonpilot
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Red Tea Camp

Post by dragonpilot » Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:20 am

tamarakay wrote:We are just a bunch of fuckos trying to muck along and each year we come together, create, destroy, build, destroy, burn and try not to die.
I am not a "fucko."

Oh, and if you want to bring gifts consider Mardi Gras beads. They are highly valued.
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.

Sham

Post by Sham » Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:19 am

Did I mention that first timers are so adorable. I could just hug them to death! 8)

AntiM

Post by AntiM » Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:57 am

dragonpilot wrote:
tamarakay wrote:We are just a bunch of fuckos trying to muck along and each year we come together, create, destroy, build, destroy, burn and try not to die.
I am not a "fucko."
Ahem. Were you not taking notes a few years back?

CleCub

Post by CleCub » Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:09 pm

Sham wrote:Did I mention that first timers are so adorable. I could just hug them to death! 8)
My Grandma tells me I'm adorable too but I think it cuz she is obligated to do so.

I wanna hug if we meet on the playa.

Return to “The Greeter's Station”