Southern California First Time

Start here - tell us about yourself and what brings you to ePlaya.
Janine55
Burning Since: 2014

Southern California First Time

Post by Janine55 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:01 pm

Hi! I'm Janine. Living in Southern California. 24. Love my dog. Student.
2014 will be my first year, and I want to know everything! It's been calling me for years and I'm finally gonna take the next step!
I constantly get lost reading about the culture/all aspects online so I'd like to talk to anyone and everyone I can to help me make next year happen

How can I become involved in the community? I don't know anyone going and being a 24 year old female- I want to meet as many new friends as possible.

Can't wait to hear from you guys and get to know you :)
Become the flow.

Elliot
Burning Since: 2006

Re: Southern California First Time

Post by Elliot » Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:19 pm

:D
Welcome to ePlaya, Janine!

You have the right attitude with wanting to become involved -- as opposed to spectating. Be sure that among all your reading you also read The Survival Guide and the other First Timer information on the web site.

Be aware you cannot take your dog with you.

If you explain a bit about your artistic or community interests, somebody may be able to suggest something.

Janine55

Post by Janine55 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:41 pm

Ah yes I have read those several times. And of course, I wouldn't think of bringing my dog haha.

I'm originally from Utah, I love outdoors... hiking, swimming, camping
Love yoga, desire to learn flow art and poi
Have never been to anything like Burning Man. Love electronic music, been to many music festivals in US and UK. But I'm sure nothing compares
Become the flow.

BoyScoutGirl
Camp Name: Lamplighters!

Post by BoyScoutGirl » Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:39 pm

Welcome to eplaya. We can be snarky but generally mean well.

One way to met local burners that's worked well for me (including finding a ride there and back!) is to join a local mailing list. I believe they have them for both San Diego and Los Angeles area burners. Then you'll hear about events all throughout the year, such as regionals. You can start here: http://regionals.burningman.com/

My other unsolicited advice is to stop watching videos and perusing photo albums. Read the survival guide, read tips and tricks here, meet locals, all this is good; general party videos just build needless expectations.
When he lights his streetlamp, it is as if he brought one more star to life, or one flower.
When he puts out his lamp, he sends the flower, or the star, to sleep.
That is a beautiful occupation.

- Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:52 am

Howdy!

I'm in Ogden... did you ever make it out to Element 11?

Janine55

Post by Janine55 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:44 pm

I don't mind snarky. I need some sass in my life <3 Can August 25th just be here already?! Lots of planning and excitement over the next few months eeek. I will ask you guys any questions that I can't find in my research. I love hearing about everyone's personal experiences at the burn, and how they have progressed....Joining the mailing list asap. Already working on ways to gift my talents for all you amazing burners!

I haven't been to Element 11, I believe it is in SLC? I grew up in Cedar City. I am up to try anything!
Become the flow.

TT120
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Orphans TOO!

Post by TT120 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:56 pm

Hello and welcome Janine. Do you have any camping experience? This is ultimately a week long camping trip in the harsh desert and being prepared for that can make or break your experience.

Show us your.....uh....tent. :D
Life's a bitch, then you go to Burning Man - Unjonharley
We welcome the stranger, but that doesn't mean we have to like them, nor they us, and that's alright. - AntiM

W6BJD

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Post by Savannah » Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:06 pm

TT120 wrote:Hello and welcome Janine. Do you have any camping experience? This is ultimately a week long camping trip in the harsh desert and being prepared for that can make or break your experience.

Show us your.....uh....tent. :D
I believe the lady mentioned she has a bit of camping experience, but you may have been distracted. :wink:
Janine55 wrote:Ah yes I have read those several times. And of course, I wouldn't think of bringing my dog haha.

I'm originally from Utah, I love outdoors... hiking, swimming, camping
*** 2018 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

Janine55

Post by Janine55 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:31 pm

yessss... camping is something I have some handy experience with :D My parents started bringing me out camping to the desert when I was 6 months old. I can tackle dust! I'm thinking of bringing a camper van for my first burn. And most likely a separate tent to put all my extra stuff in once settled in camp. Now... I sort of understand the semi-circle design and hour/half hour marks (I think) buuuut how is camping set up? Is anything assigned? Any suggestions or personal preferences for location? I hope to connect with local peeps and join a camp eventually but how does someone go about it if they are alone? OH and is it best to buy tickets as soon as they come on sale? (ticket announcement in January?)
Become the flow.

Elliot

Post by Elliot » Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:22 pm

Everyone camps in the curved blocks made up by the "clock-dial/wheel" grid. Some of that space is reserved in advance for Registered Theme Camps -- rough guess 40% of the space. The rest is open camping -- you just pick a spot that nobody else is using. (In addition, there is Walk In camping -- you leave your car outside that area.)

It does not matter if you are one person or 100 -- you claim what you need. Of course, you don't claim more than you will actually use. And you want to introduce yourself to any neighbors, and ask about noise levels and such, to avoid mis-matches.

The loudest music is at the "north" end of the city, at 2:00 Street and 10:00 Street -- and at Esplanade, the innermost street of the circles. Those two corners are deafening loud. The further south and out, the quieter -- generally speaking.

You definitely want to buy your tickets in the main sale, since it will probably sell out in a matter of a couple of hours. It is possible that you will miss out, but don't worry, because you will almost certainly be able to buy tickets later in the "secondary" market. There is even an official re-sale system called STEP, which works very well.

Sign up for the Jack Rabbit Speaks e-newsletter, if you have not already. It's on the home page.

Stick around, and you will keep learning. :D

TT120
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Orphans TOO!

Post by TT120 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:34 pm

Most of the open camping on the inner streets fill quickly but the outer streets have tons of open space. I like being around H or so because its far enough from the loud sound camps to be fairly quiet at night but not too far away so I can still hear the city thumping at night. It lulls me to sleep.
Life's a bitch, then you go to Burning Man - Unjonharley
We welcome the stranger, but that doesn't mean we have to like them, nor they us, and that's alright. - AntiM

W6BJD

Savannah

Post by Savannah » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:38 pm

Janine55

Post by Janine55 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:08 pm

Namaste
Become the flow.

tbucks
Burning Since: 2013

Post by tbucks » Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:55 pm

Last year was my first burn, went with three other friends also first timers. We researched, prepped and watched all the videos in the world. I also agree with not watching too many videos, just enough to get you excited, but nothing will be the same and its best to go in not expecting anything.

We camped at 8:15 and K (the green side :) of the MOOP Map) and I really liked it. Close enough to a lot of the stuff on the 10 o clock side that would coincide with your interest in music festivals, as thats where a lot of the sound camps are located. But also close enough to center camp, and Artica (ice) and all the other wonderful things you will encounter roaming around on your bike. They are also on the 2 oclock side and esplanade as previously mentioned. Things change every year, and depending on when you arrive different spaces to camp will be available. We got in the gates around 1130pm sunday night, setup camp with no one else around up, by mid day Monday, the whole block had filled in nicely. A couple days later they added streets further out.

Overall, we were more than prepared, had way too much water, alcohol, food etc that we were able to gift to people staying for the temple burn (only regret is not staying,but due to one of our campmates real life commitments, we had to leave). Met tons of awesome people that we are coordinating with for next year.

I'm really excited for this year knowing a little bit more about what is needed, how we can setup our camp better, and all the little quirks you can really only work out by doing it wrong the first time! :D

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:50 pm

Hey there, welcome to eplaya!
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

ranger magnum
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: Outpost Tokyo

Post by ranger magnum » Wed Dec 25, 2013 7:50 pm

You can camp with me....
Praise the Lowered

Thecatman
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: alone

Post by Thecatman » Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:56 am

WELCOM!!
Janine55 wrote:And most likely a separate tent to put all my extra stuff in once settled in camp.
Be careful. If your tent can't be locked.....unfortunately there are sticky fingers at BM.
My cats are cuter than your grandkids!

"Government is not the solution to our problems, government is the problem." Ronald Reagan

Mikey0525

Post by Mikey0525 » Tue May 20, 2014 1:09 am

Hi Janine, I'm mike. This will be my first burn as well. I've managed to hire a camper and will be driving solo from LA to the festival on the 23rd of August. I'm leaving myself a couple of days to get there. I'm meeting up with a mate and his gf, the two of us are from Australia and she is from Texas. Have you worked out how you will be getting there yet? I have a two person tent that comes with my camper so I'm thinking I might have the camper for showers and cooking and camp with my buddies. If you want someone to hang with or need a ride from LA, let me now.

Mike.

Simon of the Playa
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Post by Simon of the Playa » Tue May 20, 2014 5:17 am

i can't stand it anymore.

i think i speak for over half of the board when i say "show us your tits"

namaste, btw.
Frida Be You & Me

Savannah

Post by Savannah » Tue May 20, 2014 12:28 pm

This thread is from 2013, everybody.

Hopefully she had a good time.

If you were there and kept your eyes peeled, you might even have seen her ta-tas, Simon.

Elliot

Post by Elliot » Tue May 20, 2014 1:08 pm

Savannah, are you sure? December 2013. Wouldn't that be preparations for 2014? Of course, my brain might have slipped out of gear.

Roberto Dobbisano

Post by Roberto Dobbisano » Tue May 20, 2014 3:28 pm

If you were there and kept your eyes peeled, you might even have seen her ta-tas, Simon.

yeah.

i'm pretty sure he would have remembered that.
"10 principles? you cant HANDLE the 10 principles..."

daft

Post by daft » Tue May 20, 2014 6:23 pm

troll

daft

Post by daft » Tue May 20, 2014 6:23 pm

oops, trolling again

Wigwam
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: The Wanderers

Post by Wigwam » Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:52 pm

Hi Janine. I'm also in Southern California. The thing is, the better prepared you are by talking to people, bringing what you need and keeping an open mind to the possibilities, the happier you'll be. It's not what you expect--it's something you can't expect. I'd be happy to give you my perspectives on it, but ultimately, it's your experience. Read the survival guide. Try to find a theme camp. Or not. I usually try to share the ride with somebody just for the company on the long trip. I bring more than I need, so I can make sure "the playa will provide." If there are any specific questions you have, I'll be happy to try to help.

Return to “The Greeter's Station”