Returning for year two

Start here - tell us about yourself and what brings you to ePlaya.
tbucks
Burning Since: 2013

Returning for year two

Post by tbucks » Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:17 pm

Hey Everyone,

Super excited to return this year for my 2nd burn after going for the first time in 2012. Been lurking around the boards since ticket time last year, but haven't posted too much. Hoping to change that. Last year I went with three good friends, and we camped out on 8:15 and K (the green side on the MOOP map :D ) It was a burn that almost didn't happen, the story is below.

2013 was my first year, although I had been wanting to go for many years, probably dating back to 2005 or so. I had a college professor who went every year with other professors, and thats when I realized it wasn't just a giant "hippiefest" or "drug fueled desert orgy" or other descriptive word/expression that people who don't know like to use to describe it. I became infatuated with the culture and the community and was super excited to finally go. Fast forward to Sunday, August 25th 2013.

We had packed up all our stuff the night before and made the final touches Sunday morning. We left from San Francisco, and met up with some friends who have gone a couple years in the past. It was the first time for myself and my three other campmates. We arrived in Reno early afternoon and had stopped at the Walmart to meet up with some others and get a few last minute supplies. Around 3:00pm, we are ready to go and hit the road towards Gerlach. I had been carrying the tickets on me because I was afraid of leaving them in the car or anywhere else. We stop for gas one last time, I had put the tickets in the cup holder in plain sight. My campmate, driver of the van at some point threw the trash that was in the van away at the Chevron station on N. McCarran in Reno. We take off, super excited to finally be on our way. About 40 minutes outside of Reno, I look down at the cup holder and the tickets are gone. I freak out, check my pockets, check the van. We pull over, search the van, find nothing. We decide that my campmate must have thrown them in the trash at the Chevron station. We tell the rest of our caravan who weren't camping with us to go on, while our other two campmates waited for us 40 minutes outside of reno. The longest 40 minutes of my life, driving back to the gas station. I'm already scouring craigslist looking for tickets for sale. We finally get there, I run inside to see if anyone had turned in tickets, the clerk said no. My campmate went to the garbage can and looks, I come out, he's checking a different can. Said he didn't find them in the can where he threw the garbage. We go back to that can,dig deeper, and pull out two shiny, yet wet and stuck together tickets out of the trash. We scream, the station is full of burners, hugs, high fives, tons of excitement and probably the happiest I had been in a long time. From that moment on, I knew it was meant to be. We went on to have the best week ever, and can't wait to do it again in 9 months.

FossaFerox
Camp Name: Vinyl Bunker

Re: Returning for year two

Post by FossaFerox » Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:31 pm

If you don't want to be terribly lonely you should probably plan on doing it again in 8 months instead of 9. Not many people are there late-September. Gate opens in 246 days and ~21 hours. :D

In all seriousness, that's a great story. Luck was seriously on your side.
ygmir wrote:Everyone loves you there, and no one cares a shit about you..........all at once. and vice versa.

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:41 am

Holy crap! A new ticket nightmare to haunt my sleep!

Good story. There's a reason I have a big clear plastic envelope to hold all the tickets and passes.

Any new plans for this year?

tbucks

Post by tbucks » Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:05 am

As you can tell, the professor in question was not a math professor. Even more excited that its only 8 months away.

This year we are considering building a dome to use as our communal space. We used two monkey huts last year, and they worked well over all. Thursday morning, one large gust of wind pulled out and bent 24" long 1/2" rebar out of the ground and half our hut came off. Luckily we had it all tied up so it didn't go far. That was our only setback in that department.

Other changes

More tables! We needed more folding tables for our camp to setup a kitchen and other spaces to keep things off the ground.
Better ice management - we still had frozen food saturday night, but we struggled with keeping beers and non frozen things cool even with coolers off the ground, in the shade, and covered with blankets. We found that blocks definitely worked out better for us.
Stay for the temple burn - we left right after the man burned, plus side to that is we were in South Lake Tahoe by 3am. Downside, we missed the party after the man, and the temple burn. Definitely doing that this year.
Contribute more - our first year we contributed mainly to our direct neighbors by sharing food/alcohol/gifts etc. But we would like to expand, and hopefully contribute something larger this year.
Better organization as a group - We had lots of stuff individually, but it was scattered throughout camp. This year, with common items (flashlights, medicine, sunscreen, hand sanitizer, etc) we are going to make a communal storage area for all that stuff that is easily accessible.
Get involved earlier in San Francisco - I personally want to help out with whatever I can in and around San Francisco throughout the year

Hope some of those tips help some of the newer people, those are the things I can think of right now.

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:28 am

We have had better luck with a multi-cooler system. Frozen cooler, chilled food cooler, dry drink cooler, and smaller ready to drink cans in an iced cooler. If you're getting in and out of a cooler for drinks, the food gets flipped around too much. Also, we have a smaller portable cooler which goes with us when out and about.

The dry drink cooler keeps the cans/bottles cleaner and a little cooler, so when they hit the ice, they don't need as long to chill. We also keep a water dispensing cooler, drinking cold water in camp is a real treat. Think the round orange ones you see on construction sites.

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Post by trilobyte » Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:41 pm

Welcome back to the site. Have fun planning and prepping for your second year, you may want to check out the Preparation boards, I think there are a few different ongoing discussions of what worked (and what didn't) that you may want to participate in.

fernley1
Camp Name: Camp not for Prophets.

Post by fernley1 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:16 pm

Wow, great ticket story.
Thanks for sharing.

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:45 pm

Hey there, welcome to eplaya!
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

TheJoker

Post by TheJoker » Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:59 am

Great ticket story ! I'm glad you found it back. I can't imagination how painful it must be to get stuck at the door after so many months of prepping...

Did you use dry ice for frozen food ? Where can you get that ? I do not live in the US and last summer I did not really know of to buy that... Also, I'm concerned about the safety ? I work in a biology lab where we use a lot of dry ice, and we've always been told that you should NOT, NEVER, have the box in which you have the dry ice sealed or tightly closed (because dry ice turns into gaz that can make your bow explode). So, how do you do it ?

tbucks

Post by tbucks » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:03 pm

We did use dry ice for the frozen food.

We bought I think 40lbs on the morning we left and transported it in a cooler with frozen food in the back of a pickup truck. We kept it covered and in the shade the whole week.

We bought it in San Francisco, at www.sfice.com got there 10 minutes before they opened and beat the rush.

Here is a lot of dry ice information: http://www.dryiceinfo.com/

tattoogoddess
Burning Since: 2012

Post by tattoogoddess » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:41 pm

Welcome to eplaya! What a crazy story! I would have been in tears!!

Anyways if you are looking to join up with a camp check us out. Tom servo and my self run Blood Bath and Beyond.We were located on the corner of 3 and F last year and hope to have the same again. We are a camp of about 50. We plan for the same amount this year if not more. We are a Bloody Mary bar. We have two showers, a large communal space that is shaded and pretty cool In the sun. This year we will have a large 20x20 kitchen with all that you would need to cook along with a 3 compartment sink with running water. This year we are also adding a small dance spot and a small sound system to be able to do more at night for the community. We have a pretty nice set up and really great people from all around the world.
If you are interested, look at our webpage (in my signature) and add your self to our camp Facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/groups/bloodbathandbeyondbrc/

If not at least stop by and say hello!
maladroit- Burning Man is like a second job, except you pay to work there.
Burning Man is just the pre party for exodus! - fellow burner during exodus

Return to “The Greeter's Station”